Discuss Scratch

Block_Point_Studios
Scratcher
100+ posts

A way to filter messages! (300+ supporters)

Support! I would also suggest a button on every studio saying “Turn Off Notifications.” It would be nice to not get certain studio messages.

Hi! I'm Block_Point_Studios. I love Undertale and Minecraft. I also run a texture shop here.
theanonymousweirdo
Scratcher
500+ posts

Support

This is my signature. It appears at the bottom of all of my posts.
My favorite song: You're Not Alone
IndianRuby718
Scratcher
100+ posts

Surais_Treehouse wrote:

[snip] May I suggest some new items?
(√) someone posts a comment on my studio
(√) someone @'s my username in a comment
(√) someone quotes me in a post (forum)
I disagree with the first one. You might want different requirements for different studios. Instead of that being a part of the messages checklist in settings, it should be its own checklist for each studio once you accept a curator invite. Maybe there would be a little settings button in the corner on the curators page of each studio you curate, and a window would pop up, maybe like this:
Notify Me for Studio Activity if:
☑ a project is added/removed
☑ a curator is accepted/removed
☑ a curator has been promoted to manager*
☑ a comment has been posted*
☑ edits were made to the title/description
*I also support the suggestions from other posts about the owner being able to demote managers with a button, or delete studio comments, like for projects and profiles. If these suggestion also gets implemented, then the options would say:
☑ a curator has been promoted to/demoted from manager
☑ a comment has been posted/deleted
I don't know if it would be a good idea for these options to be included in one option or split into two options (like instead of “a project is added/removed” there would two options saying “a project is added” and “a project is removed”). For now only the first two and last one could work, but if the two from above get implemented, then it could be done for all of them… I don't think it's a good idea for now so I kept them together.

Hmm maybe this could work for projects too? Here would be the checklist:
Notify Me of Project Activity if:
☑ someone loves my project
☑ someone favorites my project
☑ someone comments on my project
☑ someone remixes my project
☑ someone adds my project to a studio
Maybe instead of those threefive on the main checklist it would say:
☑ there is new activity in my project
Maybe? Hmmm

Anyway (that was a long *offtopic? or not? it's still about message filtering* idea from that)
I semi-support the second one, but I really doubt “someone links my username in a comment” is going to be implemented. The last one would be very useful though, because if for example someone posts “support” on a topic and leaves, then someone else quotes them and says “please say why you support”, the first person is never going to see that, because they aren't following the discussion. [typing that sentence just gave me an idea, but I would have to make a separate suggestion for it…] That's why I don't do that myself, because I know perfectly well they're never going to see it, and the number of wasted posts has just been doubled (unless you include it inside your own constructive post, which happens less than 1% of the time). But I don't think this shouldn't be an option if we want to solve this problem with it… idk what to do with that so really this shouldn't be a part of this topic at all… [but to discuss ideas…] Also, in the case of like quote trains and things like that, it should probably only be sent to the person/people with the direct quote. So if a person posts something like this:

a wrote:

b wrote:

c wrote:

Support because dhfgghjd.
Agreed.
Same. And also it should sthghhghfxz.
That's true.

d wrote:

No support because shsfgsgjssfddcm.
That's a good point, but not worth dropping the whole suggestion for.
The message would be sent to a and d, but not to b and c.
Also, how would the messages be sent if someone quotes you on a forum post you follow? Would it prioritize one over the other, or both, even when the only new post is the post that quotes yours? That's another issue :P [but one that could be fixed.]
I've had the idea of being notified when someone quotes you myself for a while now, but now that someone else has said it I see the problems XDDD
[Edit: According to this, being notified when posts are being quoted are rejected, and it's also been added to TOLORS. But my example above with “support” and “please say why” is a very good reason for adding it that hasn't been mentioned. Also, if you only get one message no matter how many times someone quotes you up until you view the message, like for normal forum posts, then it can't be abused any more than the regular forums can, right? All the extra quoting would take up that whitespace, but there's no use from it, so the spammers would just stop… edit2: this gave me another idea. I'll have to make another topic… XD]

…anyway, I'll add it to the checklist for now.
Here is my original post from page 41:

IndianRuby718 wrote:

[snip]
I think this should be the updated list:
☑ someone posts a comment on my project
☑ someone posts a comment on my profile
☑ someone invites me to curate a studio
☑ there is new activity in a studio I curate
there is new activity in a studio I follow
☑ [someone] adds my project to a studio
☑ there is a new post on a discussion I follow (forum)
☑ someone follows me
etc.

I wouldn't use the filtering as of now, mainly because [snip] as I do pretty much nothing I don't get many messages right now. But the new additions of [snip] "[someone] adds my project to a studio“, and the message search, would be so useful for me.

I also have an idea so that you can search by date, if you don't remember or know exactly what you're looking for but you know around when it was, so you can put ”January 2020" and all the messages from that time will show up.

And I think you should update the original post so that the ST implements all the ideas from one place. But otherwise I support. [snip] (…they're inactive anyway so :P)
Updated² Checklist:
☑ someone posts a comment on my project
☑ someone posts a comment on my profile
☑ someone invites me to curate a studio
☑ there is new activity in a studio I curate
☑ someone adds my project to a studio
☑ there is a new post on a discussion I follow (forum)
☑ someone directly quotes you in a discussion
☑ someone follows me
etc.

(This checklist does not account for the possible replacement of [edit: five of these items] with “project activity”. so)
very large post over here

Last edited by IndianRuby718 (Nov. 10, 2020 20:39:37)

So… I didn't update my signature for over a year XP But… I left the forums, and I'm not coming back anytime soon
(and I'm not updating my signature)

Both stickied Suggestions Directories currently have 138 replies.
Only fdreerf can break the equilibrium.

Za-chary wrote:

I get more frustrated with people telling me about “mass reporting” than I do about “mass reporting” itself.
source
good luck digging up the original reply in the comments
ctrl+f exists

https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/6961734/

Bug with the color effect I would really like to see fixed

EEEEEEE   DDDDDD    IIIIIIII  TTTTTTTT           NNN    NN     OOOOO
EE DD DD II TT :: NNNN NN OO OO
EEEEEEE DD DD II TT NN NN NN OO OO
EE DD DD II TT :: NN NN NN OO OO
EE DD DD II TT NN NNNN OO OO
EEEEEEE DDDDDD IIIIIIII TT NN NNN OOOOO
Hand-done.

< :: extension>
< :: custom-arg>
< :: motion>

Don't click this link…
da_fin
Scratcher
100+ posts

I want to get a message when someone:

(√) adds my project to a studio

This would be super helpful. Support. (Thanks to @stickfiregames for scripting the “quote”)

Last edited by da_fin (Nov. 4, 2020 04:48:14)

hey
theanonymousweirdo
Scratcher
500+ posts

I would also like it if you could turn off notifications from certain projects

This is my signature. It appears at the bottom of all of my posts.
My favorite song: You're Not Alone
sealifefriend
Scratcher
500+ posts

isn't that just like the filter that's already there….

idk what to say here
mtech22
Scratcher
1000+ posts

sealifefriend wrote:

No, this would make it so you wouldn't get those messages at all

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.
AHypnoman
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mtech22 wrote:

sealifefriend wrote:

No, this would make it so you wouldn't get those messages at all
Hmm, I thought the suggestion was to have a filter that saved, and didn’t show you it on your message count, not make it inaccessible entirely.

Also, here’s an idea: what if you could also search your messages, such as, I want to find a comment I made that contained the word “taco”. Now, at the moment, I have to scroll through my messages until I find it, using Chromes extremely bugged “Find” menu, but with a built in search bar, I can just type in what I want, and Scratch would sort by relevance. It’s just a cool little feature that could be implemented with this suggestion.

~ AHypnoman (Use Shift+Down Arrow to see the rest of my signature)

I am an evil kumquat, and your siggy looks tasty…
Hello there, I'm AHypnoman, If you write my name remember to capitalize the “H”. “When you don't create things, you become defined by your tastes rather than ability. your tastes only narrow & exclude people. so create.” I write though as tho.
According to the Chrome Console, my viewbox attribute is “Garbage”. Very nice, Chrome.
#TrendyHashtag
Gib internneeet

Play Retorquebit!

trieuminh
Scratcher
100+ posts

I want to get a message when someone:

(√) adds a project to a studio that I'm following
(√) adds a project to a studio that I'm curating
(√) removes a project from a studio that I'm following
(√) removes a project from a studio that I'm curating
(√) comments on a studio that I'm following
(√) comments on a studio that I'm curating

What about this?

Press CTRL/COMMAND+SHIFT+DOWN after highlighting a bit of my signature to see the rest of my signature (and keep doing it)
Idk about mobile.

Old signature from a year ago before my hiatus:
Last edited by kaj the day before yesterday 24:60:60
Press CTRL+SHIFT+DOWN after highlighting a bit of my signature to see the rest of my signature (and keep doing it)
WARNING! UPDATE SCRATCH DESKTOP NOW! LEARN MORE BY CLICKING THE LINK! OTHER WARNING! GO TO THIS LINK TO LEARN ABOUT THE GRAY QUESTION MARK BOX GLITCH!

kittencatcheetah
Scratcher
37 posts

YES I SUPPORT PLEASE DO THIS IT MAKES ME SAD WHEN i HAVE MOSTLY STUDIO MESSAGES. Also, Id set it up:
(√) someone loves my project
(√) someone favorites my project
(√) someone posts a comment on my project
(√) someone posts a comment on my profile
(√) someone remixes my project
(√) someone invites me to curate a studio
( ) there is new activity in a studio I curate/follow
(√) there is a new post on a discussion I follow (forum)
(√) someone follows me
Maybe the filter setting could be in the messages tab? They already have a “filter” but that just removes everything except the one thing you selected. This way, if you want to check the activity in one specific studio really quick before turning it back off, you can!

Hewo!
YAY CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
go support this: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/56422/?page=44#post-4585573
secretagent123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ninjaMAR wrote:

OverTheGardenWall2 wrote:

-Aardvaark- wrote:

ipaddude wrote:

very support
Please say why you support.
It never says anywhere on this forum you need to say why. Please don’t go around telling people to tell you something that could be personal.
Why would people support because of their name or place they live?
They mean private opinions.
For example. You live in a world where no-one likes brown bread and you secretly liked it. You may not want to share this opinion as people will think badly about you due to the fact that it goes against the majority.

Also support. As the current message filtering system has very vague categories.

Last edited by secretagent123 (Nov. 9, 2020 17:36:16)

I don't really use this account any more.
Kitt-Draw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support, it would be an awesome way to cut down the amount of messages I have and only get messages for what I need!

DanTheScratchCrafter
Scratcher
100+ posts

Signst me up

trieuminh
Scratcher
100+ posts

What if there were default and quick filters?

Press CTRL/COMMAND+SHIFT+DOWN after highlighting a bit of my signature to see the rest of my signature (and keep doing it)
Idk about mobile.

Old signature from a year ago before my hiatus:
Last edited by kaj the day before yesterday 24:60:60
Press CTRL+SHIFT+DOWN after highlighting a bit of my signature to see the rest of my signature (and keep doing it)
WARNING! UPDATE SCRATCH DESKTOP NOW! LEARN MORE BY CLICKING THE LINK! OTHER WARNING! GO TO THIS LINK TO LEARN ABOUT THE GRAY QUESTION MARK BOX GLITCH!

Fun_Cupcake_i81
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm not sure if anyone's already said this (I don't have time to read through 44 pages of posts at the moment) but I'd like to enable notifications for new projects/activity from scratchers I follow. (I put this in a separate topic before, because I didn't know this one existed) But instead of 1 notification per project, it should probably be once per day, like with studio mail. :3

NullPointerException: myLife does not exist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi! I'm Fun Cupcake and I pop onto the forums every now and then to ask questions or try and help out.
My goal is to help people out and brighten their days!
Also, I do in fact have a voice-acted series. It's a fantasy story and I'd love it if you'd check it out!
You could also check out Sprinkle Town, a town game I created inspired by Stardew Valley! (It's still in very early development stages.)
GeoBug
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fun_Cupcake_i81 wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone's already said this (I don't have time to read through 44 pages of posts at the moment) but I'd like to enable notifications for new projects/activity from scratchers I follow. (I put this in a separate topic before, because I didn't know this one existed) But instead of 1 notification per project, it should probably be once per day, like with studio mail. :3
Yeah! There's a lot of random people I'm following that invite me to random stuff that I don't really care about, but I do want to see the ones that the people I talk to the most give me, because they know what I'd be interested in. And I don't want to scroll through endless invites just to find those ones xD

hi :3
NinjaGamer579
Scratcher
15 posts

Yep.
Mail. The one thing I’m looking at first thing in the morning. A lot of the time it's just junk. “there was a new activity in (some studio) today”. i wish to be able to block specific types of mail, for example studio activity mail, so that I am not looking at my mail pointlessly instead of playing some battle royale game.

when I receive [check mail v]
if <(mail) = [studio activity]> then
get mad
else
examine mail
end
repeat until <[mail blocking] = <true>>
hopeThatMyMailIsNotStudioActivity
end
say [Hooray!]

when I receive [signature_file v]
set [username v] to [NinjaGamer579]
set [traits v] to ((curious) + (adventurous))
set [fave_color v] to (((255, 0, 0) or (FF0000)) + ((0, 0, 0) or (00000)))
set [broswer v] to [My browser / operating system: IPad iOS 14.4, Safari 14.0.3, No Flash version detected]
initiate
scratch - imagine, program, share
NinjaGamer579
Scratcher
15 posts

Yllie wrote:

We all love getting a new message… until you start getting tons, and tons of them.
Then you wish there was an easy way to filter what messages you receive and don't.
Personally I like reading comments on my profile and projects but I don't want to be notified whenever somebody loves or favorites my projects.
There should be some kind of option in the Account Settings where you can select exactly what messages you want to be notified about.
Here's a list of some useful options:

I want to get a message when:

(√) someone loves my project
(√) someone favorites my project
(√) someone remixes my project
(√) someone invites me to curate a studio
(√) there is new activity in a studio I curate/follow
(√) someone follows me
etc.

You simply check/uncheck the boxes to customize your notifications, for example:

I'd personally set it up like this:

I want to get a message when:

( ) someone loves my project
( ) someone favorites my project
( ) someone remixes my project
( ) someone invites me to curate a studio
( ) there is new activity in a studio I curate/follow
(√) someone follows me

Note: You will still receive all of the messages but it will only notify you about the ones you have selected.

To take it one step further it would also be great to be able to search my inbox for messages.
For example: if I'm having a conversation with “Scratchman” I could simply search my inbox for “Scratchman” to get instant access to all messages he sent me. This would really facilitate when having a conversation with a specific user.

By enabling search it would also be easier to get quick access to a specific kind of message.
Say, you want to view all new comments on your profile. Simply search “profile” and all messages including the word “profile” will be filtered out and displayed to you. Search for “follow” to see all your new followers, “Red Ball 3” or “G-force” to see everything that is happening on that specific project etc. This will also make it super-easy to find a specific message posted a while ago. Simply search for e.g. “It would be nice to collab with you sometime” and you can get right to that message and reply whenever you want, instead of having to scroll around in your inbox trying to find a comment posted a month ago.

Please let me and the Scratch Team know if you support this idea!
Thank You and Scratch On!

Current Support Count:
Yllie (duh…)
-Cubic-
amateurradiogeek15
GyroscopeBill
MrSherlockHolmes
DrKat123
Icftf
-Lolz-
MushroomMan99
HOWING
derpiboo
QueenSurah
Rexone
m-m-mabel
-Let-it-Go-
Kuesopop
Vic20
Tropic
DogQueenGirl
The_Grits
Kateskipper
The_Scratch_Squad
PrincessPanda_test_
Prinseskat
Rex208
Droid9
1234abcdcba4321
Cypher56
gregory9
stickfiregames
bn17
theonlygust
MegaApuTurkUltra
Thepuzzlegame
OmnipotentPotato
robosnakejr
DemiCupcakesYo
samanyolu
mitopolis
jrezneckbhds
Superdoggy
octo-tests
TheHockeyist
Haudio
peppermintpatty5
Lilry1
pokesnail
Ali-baba
ChocolatePi
Zappy1333
Brooke_
Letsgopitt
Marsover
ev3commander
fmtfmtfmt2
-Cloud-
Penguin9090_new
Scratchygirl
StandardToaster
Really_A
mundofinkyenglish
MrSherlockHolmes
Paddle2See
Oinkymoo
-Cosmic-
matey1234
Doodle-cats
Ean173
TheAwesomeMaster
VoltageGames
Kryos
LiFaytheGoblin
PetPaw
helloyowuzzup
Kalakuh
-Quadrum-
ReEvolved
Robot2627
Bluenunchuck
VaDiSh
Icely
anythingispossible
violin16
peterules54
nklvguko
Co49
modrapetka
brainstorm101
Gaza101
iwotastic
singyoshi
Sojourner555
AwesomeBFDIDiaper
title_kitten
AgentCNF
comp09
Alberknyis
Mudstreak
Puppies1000
ShinySkarmory227

etc. etc. etc.

Yep.
Mail. The one thing I’m looking at first thing in the morning. A lot of the time it's just junk. “there was a new activity in (some studio) today”. i wish to be able to block specific types of mail, for example studio activity mail, so that I am not looking at my mail pointlessly instead of playing some battle royale game.

get mad
else
examine mail
end
end
say [Hooray!]

set [broswer v] to [My browser / operating system: IPad iOS 14.4, Safari 14.0.3, No Flash version detected]
initiate
pandacorn_owl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NinjaGamer579 wrote:

-snip-
get mad
else
examine mail
end
end
say [Hooray!]
Please do not quote the OP as it gets spammy and also please don't post the same point twice

Last edited by pandacorn_owl (Nov. 14, 2020 14:28:16)

Hello I'm a human who used to be active on the forums but sometimes reappears for fun and stuff. I can't be bothered to make a cool signature right now so umm here's a smiley face
NinjaGamer579
Scratcher
15 posts

pandacorn_owl wrote:

NinjaGamer579 wrote:

-snip-
get mad
else
examine mail
end
end
say [Hooray!]
Please do not quote the OP as it gets spammy and also please don't post the same point twice

Sorry

initiate