Discuss Scratch

stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Opacity?

Support.

It is possible to get flat transparent areas in bitmap, but you have to make a gradient then copy one pixel from it and make a grid of that pixel. As far as I know it can't be done in vector without outside programs.

Doyousketch2 wrote:

If your editor is saying “ start with 90% ”
and your blocks say “ start with 10% ”
then which way should it go?
If those numbers are ghost effect (where 0 = opaque), it would make it 81% transparent.

Last edited by stickfiregames (June 8, 2015 06:43:59)

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
Really_A
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Opacity?

Doyousketch2 wrote:

Really_A wrote:

I know, but then me must make a separate sprite, and set the ghost effect to something. If there is a transparency bar in the editor, it would be saving a lot of our time

Oh, ok. I get what you're saying. I didn't realize that was what you were getting at.
I'd imagine this would be do-able. It would essentially do this:
when green flag clicked
set [ghost] effect to (50)
…or whatever value you set it to.

The thing is, it might be a bit confusing.
Say you set it in the editor, but then decided to change it with the blocks.
Something would have to determine which one would take effect.

Oh, well.. um.. yeah. I think if we set 20 in the editor, and 30 in the script, like this:
set [ghost v] effect to (30)
it will show up as 30 + 20 in the stage, or 50.
It's pretty confusing, huh?
rollercoasterfan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Opacity?

Support.

when [chromometer altimeter v] = [5th length v] and [7th length v] with a [gap v] of (17) ::events hat
forge [chromometer v] altimeter until < (speed) = (velocity)> ::control cstart
switch places with (759 v) altimeters with value of (speed) ::looks
control [altimeter 1 v] at time (10):(17):(58) ::control
end
initialize sequence (24) so [object 3 v] moves to x (156) y (231) ::control
reveal [final answer v] and stop running this script ::events cap
Vetpetmon
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Opacity?

There.

Pet peeve: Lag. Just, lag. Lag, lag, LAG SPIKE-
There is a need for perfection, even if it's unusual: www.vetpetmon.com
A retired Scratcher who won't be using scratch. I usually go on the forums. I mostly play Unturned, but sometimes, I make mods for games. Knows many programming languages: 100% of HTML, about 60% of CSS, 1% JS, 2% of C#, 50% TSC (for CS modding) and, 1% ASM. Is experienced at Beatbox. I also like writing stories about topics that are interesting to me. I'm well known for my variety of skills that range from programming, art, music, writing, and more. Yes, I have too many hobbies, and I am in 6 fandoms right now!
;
KittyOnTheKeyboard
Scratcher
13 posts

Opacity?

CatsUnited wrote:

Support. It's already sort of possible by selecting a solid colour and transparent in a gradient. You can't select the translucent colour though.

Yes, but I would like it if the WHOLE thing was translucent

“What you do makes a DIFFERENCE, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” -Jane Goodall

KittyOnTheKeyboard
Scratcher
13 posts

Opacity?

Doyousketch2 wrote:

Really_A wrote:

I know, but then me must make a separate sprite, and set the ghost effect to something. If there is a transparency bar in the editor, it would be saving a lot of our time

Oh, ok. I get what you're saying. I didn't realize that was what you were getting at.
I'd imagine this would be do-able. It would essentially do this:
when green flag clicked
set [ghost] effect to (50)
…or whatever value you set it to.

The thing is, it might be a bit confusing.
Say you set it in the editor, but then decided to change it with the blocks.
Something would have to determine which one would take effect.

But what if you would like only part of a sprite to be translucent? Then you would have to make a whole new sprite just for one part to be translucent. So it would be a lot easier to draw. I get what you're saying, but i think this way is easier

“What you do makes a DIFFERENCE, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” -Jane Goodall

KittyOnTheKeyboard
Scratcher
13 posts

Opacity?

Vetpetmon wrote:

There.

But what if you want the WHOLE rainbow to be translucent?

Vetpetmon
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Opacity?

KittyOnTheKeyboard wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

There.

That, I really wanted to do that, but sadly, Scratch won't do it.

But I thought of a workaround by using an outside program.

A retired Scratcher who won't be using scratch. I usually go on the forums. I mostly play Unturned, but sometimes, I make mods for games. Knows many programming languages: 100% of HTML, about 60% of CSS, 1% JS, 2% of C#, 50% TSC (for CS modding) and, 1% ASM. Is experienced at Beatbox. I also like writing stories about topics that are interesting to me. I'm well known for my variety of skills that range from programming, art, music, writing, and more. Yes, I have too many hobbies, and I am in 6 fandoms right now!
;
KittyOnTheKeyboard
Scratcher
13 posts

Opacity?

Vetpetmon wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

There.

That's smart! But I don't have any drawing programs except Paint- and Paint doesn't have that kind of stuff

rollercoasterfan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Opacity?

Vetpetmon wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

There.

That's smart! But I don't have any drawing programs except Paint- and Paint doesn't have that kind of stuff
There's plenty of free programs you can download.

when [chromometer altimeter v] = [5th length v] and [7th length v] with a [gap v] of (17) ::events hat
forge [chromometer v] altimeter until < (speed) = (velocity)> ::control cstart
switch places with (759 v) altimeters with value of (speed) ::looks
control [altimeter 1 v] at time (10):(17):(58) ::control
end
initialize sequence (24) so [object 3 v] moves to x (156) y (231) ::control
reveal [final answer v] and stop running this script ::events cap
KittyOnTheKeyboard
Scratcher
13 posts

Opacity?

Yes, but I'm pretty sure my dad isn't going to download them until it's a certified, safe-guaranteed drawing program. AND it has to be professional.

Last edited by KittyOnTheKeyboard (June 11, 2015 01:55:02)

KittyOnTheKeyboard
Scratcher
13 posts

Opacity?

rollercoasterfan wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

There.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure my dad isn't going to download them until it's a certified, safe-guaranteed drawing program. AND it has to be professional.

Vetpetmon
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Opacity?

rollercoasterfan wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

There.

GIMP is your friend.

;
Allycorn
Scratcher
29 posts

Opacity?

There's also browser based drawing programs that you don't need to download to use. Just use them online and download your final image instead of downloading the whole program.
Doyousketch2
Scratcher
93 posts

Opacity?

You might choose Krita - it's decent, and will do that.

When you begin, just drag the Opacity slider all the way to the left, and click Create. Draw, then export as PNG.
Be sure to check the box that says: Store alpha channel (transparency) Uncheck the others.
Compression slider all the way to the right. After it saves, Close the program, and click discard.

There's also GIMP - which is a solid art program, and supports transparency as well.

File > New > Advanced Options > Fill with: Transparency. OK.
You'll want to export your image as PNG. You can uncheck everything.
Compression slider all the way to the right. After it saves, Close the program, and click discard.

Often scribble in MyPaint, or sculpt Blender 3D scenes on a Wacom tablet, while listening to SoundCloud.
Pot-of-Gold
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Opacity?

Pot-of-Cake wrote:

Really_A wrote:

Doyousketch2 wrote:

There's already a way to do this, that's what the Ghost effect is.

Do you know how to use it?

Purple “Looks” tab, pick the block that says:
 set [ v] effect to (0) 

Click the drop-down button and select ghost.

Set it to 100 for complete transparency, 0 for full opacity,
or any number in-between to blend with whatever's behind it.
this
the 120 second wait :(((((

Click to play
KittyOnTheKeyboard
Scratcher
13 posts

Opacity?

Vetpetmon wrote:

rollercoasterfan wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

Vetpetmon wrote:

There.

GIMP is your friend.

Heheh I stink at Gimp. But my point is, I would rater stick to Scratch rather than going to a whole different drawing program

KittyOnTheKeyboard
Scratcher
13 posts

Opacity?

Allycorn wrote:

There's also browser based drawing programs that you don't need to download to use. Just use them online and download your final image instead of downloading the whole program.

Still… The online ones aren't as good as the downloaded ones

KittyOnTheKeyboard
Scratcher
13 posts

Opacity?

Doyousketch2 wrote:

You might choose Krita - it's decent, and will do that.

When you begin, just drag the Opacity slider all the way to the left, and click Create. Draw, then export as PNG.
Be sure to check the box that says: Store alpha channel (transparency) Uncheck the others.

There's also GIMP - which is a solid art program, and supports transparency as well.

File > New > Advanced Options > Fill with: Transparency. OK.
You'll want to export your image as PNG. You can uncheck everything.

Nice idea, might consider Krita

weeb-woo
Scratcher
94 posts

Opacity?

no matter how many times this get reposted i will always support this