Firedrake969 wrote:

Flaame wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Flaame wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

Unlocked wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

Aquaflame wrote:

Here's my opinion on this. When I joined Scratch a year ago, my goal wasn't to gain followers. It was to make projects like those of my inspirations. Back then, I practically idolized people like mikeono102, griffpatch, and other users. The drive to make projects as good as them was the main factor that kept me going. I had only 20 followers, and wasn't gaining followers at a quick rate. But I kept pushing on. And when I got curated, I was so happy. I felt popular for a while. I learned something that day.
Popularity comes from contributing to the community.
True popularity is due to a lot of hard work. Even if you get 100 followers just by posting a welcome project, that's only your 15 minutes of fame. The desire to be famous should not be a motivating factor in staying on Scratch. Ask yourself this question.
If I had no followers, would I stay on Scratch?

No, I would not. (By a long shot!)

If my work isn't appreciated, then what's the point of working? Other than learning of course… but then I might as well learn text programming, which I'm considering doing sometime in the future.
So popularity is all that matters to you? That's sure what it sounds like.

Well, basically yes for my few first months on Scratch.

And then I got hooked on programming.

I still don't like having my projects go unnoticed though. :P
Me too.
And the small one too.
Which proves you are here for this thing we humans think of as “fame” - something quite immaterial here on Scratch, in fact.
No I do not. I come here to make projects, learn, and be nice. I would like people to view my projects because I want feedback. That is why I want popularity, not because I want to brag about it.
Yeah, but not seeing your follower count doesn't mean you won't get feedback!
I was not talking about followers, I was talking about views. But , if I was talking about followers, I would say: Looking at the number of followers make me think how many people appreciate my work, and looking at other people's followers tell me if I should check out their projects or not, because ain't nobody got time to look a person who has 2 followers project.

Do you like minecraft? Check out my minecraft remake, ScratchCraft here!
Click here for a really cool game I made on ROBLOX!
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Updates to Following and Followers

Flaame wrote:

I was not talking about followers, I was talking about views. But , if I was talking about followers, I would say: Looking at the number of followers make me think how many people appreciate my work, and looking at other people's followers tell me if I should check out their projects or not, because ain't nobody got time to look a person who has 2 followers project.
followers =/= skill

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Flaame
Scratcher
100+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

Flaame wrote:

followers =/= skill
And what does this has to do with anything?

Superdoggy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

Flaame wrote:

followers =/= skill

Most of the time, followers is directly proportionate to skill. Sometimes though kids will shy away from educational projects they don't understand, but often enough those with lots of skill will have many followers.

Paddle2See wrote:

…Cream has a way of rising to the top…
Don't ask me for the source. I just know he said it. xD

Last edited by Superdoggy (Oct. 6, 2014 21:43:54)

Scratchifier
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Superdoggy wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Flaame wrote:

followers =/= skill

Most of the time, followers is directly proportionate to skill. Sometimes though kids will shy away from educational projects they don't understand, but often enough those with lots of skill will have many followers.

Paddle2See wrote:

…Cream has a way of rising to the top…
Don't ask me for the source. I just know he said it. xD

Paddle2see said that for why cGrass (now infernous)'s cDraw project couldn't be featured. I remember seeing that too.
(It had gotten over 100 love its, but in a long period of time).

Last edited by Scratchifier (Oct. 6, 2014 21:46:33)

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Superdoggy wrote:

It's actually more a combination of having pretty cool projects, pretty graphics, and a way to get word around that people should check out your projects.

'17 rickoid

Aquaflame
Scratcher
100+ posts

Here's one thing I'd like to say.
When you leave Scratch (and I'm pretty sure you will), what will help you in the long run? The programming skills you learned and the friends you made, or the amount of followers you have?
I have my answer.

I'm not saying that you can't enjoy your followers. But what I'm trying to say is that a few good friends on Scratch can be a lot more helpful than a hundred followers. And when you move on, you'll remember the quality of your relationships, not the quantity.
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Aquaflame wrote:

When you leave Scratch (and I'm pretty sure you will), what will help you in the long run? The programming skills you learned and the friends you made, or the amount of followers you have?
I have my answer.

I'm not saying that you can't enjoy your followers. But what I'm trying to say is that a few good friends on Scratch can be a lot more helpful than a hundred followers. And when you move on, you'll remember the quality of your relationships, not the quantity.

'17 rickoid

SilverEagle
Scratcher
500+ posts

Aquaflame wrote:

I have my answer.

Give this man a cookie.

“Treat others how you wish to be treated”
Superdoggy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Aquaflame wrote:

I have my answer.

Umm…okay…but how does this relate to the follower count? Just because having friends is better doesn't mean that the numbers are bad. xP

It's a great thought, but it doesn't relate to any of my or Scratchifier's arguments.

Superdoggy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Offtopic…

SilverEagle wrote:

“Treat others how you wish to be treated” - I don't know who said this, but it's sage advice.

That's was Jesus from the Bible. Definitely good advice.

Flaame
Scratcher
100+ posts

Superdoggy wrote:

Offtopic…

SilverEagle wrote:

“Treat others how you wish to be treated” - I don't know who said this, but it's sage advice.

lol

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Superdoggy wrote:

Offtopic…

SilverEagle wrote:

Luke 6:31* So proud
*coughgoogleitsnotfrommyownknowledgecough*

Superdoggy wrote:

Aquaflame wrote:

I have my answer.

Umm…okay…but how does this relate to the follower count? Just because having friends is better doesn't mean that the numbers are bad. xP

It's a great thought, but it doesn't relate to any of my or Scratchifier's arguments.
He/she's saying how followers matter so little.

'17 rickoid

ZaharaMar
Scratcher
500+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

Flaame wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

Unlocked wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

Aquaflame wrote:

Here's my opinion on this. When I joined Scratch a year ago, my goal wasn't to gain followers. It was to make projects like those of my inspirations. Back then, I practically idolized people like mikeono102, griffpatch, and other users. The drive to make projects as good as them was the main factor that kept me going. I had only 20 followers, and wasn't gaining followers at a quick rate. But I kept pushing on. And when I got curated, I was so happy. I felt popular for a while. I learned something that day.
Popularity comes from contributing to the community.
True popularity is due to a lot of hard work. Even if you get 100 followers just by posting a welcome project, that's only your 15 minutes of fame. The desire to be famous should not be a motivating factor in staying on Scratch. Ask yourself this question.
If I had no followers, would I stay on Scratch?

No, I would not. (By a long shot!)

If my work isn't appreciated, then what's the point of working? Other than learning of course… but then I might as well learn text programming, which I'm considering doing sometime in the future.
So popularity is all that matters to you? That's sure what it sounds like.

Well, basically yes for my few first months on Scratch.

And then I got hooked on programming.

I still don't like having my projects go unnoticed though. :P
Me too.
And the small one too.
Which proves you are here for this thing we humans think of as “fame” - something quite immaterial here on Scratch, in fact.
In my opinion we should be happy for the amount of followers and attention we get. We should set goals and be happy when we make it there!

ωσи∂єяℓαи∂…
italygirl
New to Scratch
2 posts

why does everyone these days need to be popular? I know alot of people who aren't so popular but awesome like verver46!
Unlocked
Scratcher
100+ posts

Aquaflame wrote:

I have my answer.

It's true. The thing that has paid off in my out-of-scratch work is not my followers on scratch. For stuff I've made (such as my minecraft mod), I'd say that probably only 5% of views were from scratch if even that. The stuff that is useful is the IMMENSE coding experience from scratch and my friends from scratch (notably greenconsole) who are working with me even past this wonderful site.

So basically, you're spot on… on pretty much all of it.
RED-drag0n
Scratcher
79 posts

Scratchifier wrote:

Why I believe that this update is bad:

1. Taking the follow numbers away from the profile page does nothing. Well, it does do something. It annoys me because I have to load one more page just to check more followers. This means that I'll hardly know when somebody unfollows me. I like to know if that happens because I don't want to be advertising something to repeatedly and annoying people, being too active… etc. However, about the people who are obsessed with followers, how will that discourage them? If they have enough time to spam several hundred people with follow requests, how is clicking one little button going to get them to stop? And taking the numbers away doesn't mean that they don't want followers any more.

2. I like to keep track of everything on my profile and projects so that I know what people like, what types of projects encourage what types of activity, and so on. For example, I can tell you that my Updates project got quite a number of random comments on my profile, love its on my other projects, and not many love its for itself (compared to my other things of course). Now I know that disguising a game as an Updates project is a terrible marketing ploy. If there were no numbers, then how would I know not to do that again?

3. When you visit a profile, you usually have no idea how good or bad a user is at Scratch. Should you check out their projects? Should you not? Is the user just getting all of their thumbnails from another user that makes them look better at Scratch? Well, to determine this, many Scratchers look at the number of followers. If there are a lot of followers in a short amount of time, then you know that it's probably worth checking out their projects! I usually will compare the number of followers to the joined date so that I know if the given Scratcher is something new in the world of Scratch. I'm not saying that it's not worth checking out projects if the user doesn't have many followers, but I subconsciously do this a lot and it's really annoying if I need to click twice more to do this! That's a big waste of time! (Thanks to other Scratchers for reminding me of this).

4. In a matter of minutes, I've several Scratchers have all gotten annoyed at this change. They are also some reputable Scratchers, such as: VoltageGames, WILL_WAM, ELSA_THE_CONQUEROR, -Flash-, TheAnimationShow… need I continue?

Edit: List of more annoyed Scratchers: Flygon12345678, -Because_Im_Batman-, PRETTY_GIRL, dinocatmeow, SnowKittyartist, helloyowazzup, BLACKSWIFT, THEGENERALESS, aminameow4, GetWithTheProgram, MTCRAFTER, ->RED-drag0n<- , Lilry1, austin360, SUPERDOGGY, SIFEF, sophielymes527, Fox16, HAnthony, AQUAFLAME, -THEDOCTOR-, GRANNYCOOKIES, andrewjl, tiny288, Infinity-, Eugenbross, gcenac, TheMistyPuppy2000, DARKCRYSTALBALL, Epicness123, JETPAC, flexaxu, __–Programmer–__, MiniMacro, L-Rignity, jrezneckbhds, violin16, hacker, Teanaway, Story_Teller, Kreyos (KILOZ)…

Now, how many Scratchers are there? How many don't like this? I'm going to let you count and see how annoying that is.

As a simple note, Scratchers in all capitals are well known Scratchers who have worked hard for their popularity. They are all annoyed at you right now. Is this what you wanted?

Please revert this change.

-Scratchifier and many more-

My username is half caps so I'm half well-known! XD
RED-drag0n
Scratcher
79 posts

When you go to bed every night, what makes you happier? The fact that you just made a new friend, or that you just gained another follower?
What makes you happier? The fact that someone favourited your project and commented ‘you are very talented!’ , or that a ‘follow everybody’ user followed you?
What makes you sadder? That someone said that your projects stink and your useless, or that someone unfollowed you?
Even though I'm strongly against this update, I can see the whole point. Scratch wasn't made for people to fight over ‘followers’ or ‘views’ , it was made for people to learn to code and, most if all, have fun.
Having that said the update just made my life 2 clicks longer, and I think the profile comments thing was pointless. Profile comment for profile comment anyone?
Superdoggy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

RED-drag0n wrote:

When you go to bed every night, what makes you happier? The fact that you just made a new friend, or that you just gained another follower?
Just because friends are better than followers doesn't mean that followers are “no good” or “meh”.

RED-drag0n wrote:

What makes you happier? The fact that someone favourited your project and commented ‘you are very talented!’ , or that a ‘follow everybody’ user followed you?
Just because followers are better than follow-everybodys doesn't mean that follow-everybodys' follows don't count.

RED-drag0n wrote:

What makes you sadder? That someone said that your projects stink and your useless, or that someone unfollowed you?
When somebody unfollows me. In fact, I find it slightly amusing when a low-rep user trolls me. It's fun to *cough* troll back. xD

epicsandwich123
Scratcher
100+ posts

At first i hated this update but now i understand, anyway, why was there even a follower count in the first place?

ever wanted some awesome sening blocks? http://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/45738/
how about copying and pasting? http://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/41980/

#sorry, but games coming soon. check my old account, awesomegames123!