Discuss Scratch

DotDash
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

fashionista1223 wrote:

mitchboy wrote:

tacky365 wrote:

I've recently heard from a lot of people that an html5 version of scratch will be made so that you can use on tablets? Not sure if this is true but once we get further information you could add it onto the what the scratch team is planning to add list.
Yep, that's coming (and most likely soon!)
Actually, it might not, because some projects require you to hold down the space key or use the arrow keys, which isn't quite possible on the tablet. It would be nice though!
There is a space key on most tablets, its just on the screen.

My browser / operating system: MacOS Macintosh X 10.8.5, Chrome 29.0.1547.76, Flash 11.8 (release 800)
tacky365
Scratcher
100+ posts

DotDash wrote:

fashionista1223 wrote:

mitchboy wrote:

tacky365 wrote:

I've recently heard from a lot of people that an html5 version of scratch will be made so that you can use on tablets? Not sure if this is true but once we get further information you could add it onto the what the scratch team is planning to add list.
Yep, that's coming (and most likely soon!)
Actually, it might not, because some projects require you to hold down the space key or use the arrow keys, which isn't quite possible on the tablet. It would be nice though!
There is a space key on most tablets, its just on the screen.

I thought about how the arrow keys are gonna work and maybe for the html5 version you'll have to use different blocks to program

PhirripSyrrip
Scratcher
500+ posts

Nice list. My opinions (if anyone cares… ) :

1. Agree with ST. Even without the risk of bullying I can see how this can go wrong. Chatrooms could become the next overdone project like colouring competitions if they were allowed.
2. Agree with ST.
3. Agree with ST. What a selfish thing to do to make a program, share it to the community, and then keep all the scripts a secret.
4. Meh. I wouldn't mind this but I can see why the ST say no. Fair enough. We won't suffer without it.
5. Definitely agree with ST. I don't find these rules too annoying (except formerly on the TBGs).
6. Agree with ST. It's not too hard to use tinypic.
7. Fine.
8. I wish you could. Sometimes I comment without watching the full project or reading the Project Notes and I feel a bit stupid with my comment. Of course I could just reply to my own comment but there are situations in which this sort of messes up what I'm trying to say (it's hard to explain at the moment!)
9. Definitely agree with ST. And I agree with your suggestion.
10. Agree with ST but I don't see the ambiguity. I thought it's pretty obvious that the block refers to when the green flag was last clicked. But this block is unnecessary with the simple workaround.
11. Disagree with ST. I believe that with the right achievements, they could act as a motivation for Scratchers.
12. Arghghghghgggghghghhhhghgghg
13. Come on Apple, that's pathetic.
14. Agree with ST. Unnecessary in my opinion.

Last edited by PhirripSyrrip (Aug. 10, 2013 22:05:16)

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;You thought I'd get away from you, didn't you?!
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Um, there's a problem in the listings…
6. Removing image host restriction or allowing users to add their sites
7a. Removing the host restriction - The image host restriction is in place to prevent inappropriate images from being posted. The allowed hosts were selected because they do not allow the kind of images that would be used to troll the forums.
7b. Allowing users to add their own image hosts - Lightnin explains it quite well
8. Delete your comments on other peoples' projects
What happened with 6 and 7?

jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

Um, there's a problem in the listings…
6. Removing image host restriction or allowing users to add their sites
7a. Removing the host restriction - The image host restriction is in place to prevent inappropriate images from being posted. The allowed hosts were selected because they do not allow the kind of images that would be used to troll the forums.
7b. Allowing users to add their own image hosts - Lightnin explains it quite well
8. Delete your comments on other peoples' projects
What happened with 6 and 7?
Oops…

Professional web developer and lead engineer on the Scratch Wiki
Maybe the Scratch Team isn't so badWhy the April Fools' Day forum didn't work last year
kieran1002
Scratcher
85 posts

jadiker wrote:

I must say this though: having people have access to the inside of your scripts kinda wrecks any chance for passcodes to certain levels or anything where only people who have played the game should know. I think creating something to lock that would be nice, although I do see your point.

Well actually you should put the passcodes right to the side covered in 100 comments

SIGNATURE TERMINATED
PhirripSyrrip
Scratcher
500+ posts

Good list, but I have a feeling that people seem to ignore sticky topics nowadays… I think that more could be done to get this noticed because I've seen lots of recent topics that are answered here… mitchboy's idea sounds good.

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;You thought I'd get away from you, didn't you?!
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Well, now that we have the downloadable version of 2.0, I will remove that from the list of stuff that will be implemented.

Maybe the Scratch Team isn't so badWhy the April Fools' Day forum didn't work last year
KittyDance
Scratcher
17 posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

PH-zero wrote:

About that 3D thing
9. 3D Scratch
Scratch is a language that is designed to be as easy as possible for beginners to pick up. Adding 3D would make the language extremely complicated, and much more difficult for beginners to understand.

I very often see projects that use very complex 3D-engines.
I think a LOT of work could be taken by a “Switch to 3D-Editor” -Button somewhere.

By clicking that button Scratch becomes 3D, and the Button becomes a “Switch to 2D-Editor”

All these blocks like |change z by ( ) |, |Turn at x/y/z axis by ( ) |, or the reporter (Z Postition)
|Turn Camera x/y/z axis by ( ) |
Show.

So beginners could use the 2D Editor, and advanced programmers could use the 3D-Editor.

Don't get me wrong. If it's to much work to achieve this, it's just fine
3D is complicated, of course it is. But in my opinion there is no reason to not support it.

PH-zero
Here's the problem: How are you gonna make 3D sprites? Checkmate.

That's another reason why a 3D Scratch is way too complicated.

That would be a good idea
vacuumfan7072
Scratcher
100+ posts

KittyDance wrote:

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

PH-zero wrote:

About that 3D thing
9. 3D Scratch
Scratch is a language that is designed to be as easy as possible for beginners to pick up. Adding 3D would make the language extremely complicated, and much more difficult for beginners to understand.

I very often see projects that use very complex 3D-engines.
I think a LOT of work could be taken by a “Switch to 3D-Editor” -Button somewhere.

By clicking that button Scratch becomes 3D, and the Button becomes a “Switch to 2D-Editor”

All these blocks like |change z by ( ) |, |Turn at x/y/z axis by ( ) |, or the reporter (Z Postition)
|Turn Camera x/y/z axis by ( ) |
Show.

So beginners could use the 2D Editor, and advanced programmers could use the 3D-Editor.

Don't get me wrong. If it's to much work to achieve this, it's just fine
3D is complicated, of course it is. But in my opinion there is no reason to not support it.

PH-zero
Here's the problem: How are you gonna make 3D sprites? Checkmate.

That's another reason why a 3D Scratch is way too complicated.

That would be a good idea
I don't mean to ruin the idea, but this is what Flash and Java were designed for. If you know how to do keyboard scripting, then you can make your own 3D game and share it with Scratch, although it would have absolutely nothing to do with Scratch.
The REAL problem is X, Y, and Z points for designing 3D models. Since computer mice and cursors were designed to travel on a 2-dimensional surface, it would not be very compatible with 3D designing. The scroll wheel would work, though.
Another item that would need to be implemented, is angle and tilt. Again, the language would be very complicated. And since most home/office computers weren't designed for very complex 3D graphics and dynamic lighting without an aftermarket graphics card installed, the 3D graphics would not be very fast, and it would also be unstable.

Last edited by vacuumfan7072 (Aug. 29, 2013 23:49:18)

Scratching since 2010
when green flag clicked
forever
Keep Smiling, Homie
end
scimonster
Scratcher
1000+ posts

How about Scratch iOS apps?

Retired Community Moderator
BTW, i run Google Chrome 41.0.2272.101 on a Linux system - Ubuntu 14.04. NEW: iPad 4th gen. w/retina.

418 I'm a teapot (original - to be read by bored computer geeks)
THE GAME (you just lost)
; THE SEMICOLON LIVES ON IN OUR SIGS
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

scimonster wrote:

How about Scratch iOS apps?
I'll add that later today.

ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jvvg wrote:

Stuff that is still in progress but will be here later

3. The [scratchblocks] tag on the forums
It has been coded, it is just under testing right now. It will arrive very shortly.
Implemented today.

jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

jvvg wrote:

Stuff that is still in progress but will be here later

3. The [scratchblocks] tag on the forums
It has been coded, it is just under testing right now. It will arrive very shortly.
Implemented today.
Updated.

neosyn
New to Scratch
2 posts

Suggestions, eh? I have some! (sorry if they're already used, but…)

-“Share with” Privately sharing your project with someone

-More fonts! Well, that's obvious

-Maybe, for “Make a Block”, reporting blocks, such as those in BYOB.

-“Search bar” for searching in your projects or in studios

-Ability to change your location (which is part of the profile)

That's all! I'll post more if i think of any more…
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Maybe reword 2. Reporters and booleans in custom blocks to 2. Reporters and booleans returning input, or something that's at least a bit more specific.

And maybe add some details on what exactly you mean, as well…

Last edited by Failord (Sept. 7, 2013 03:45:22)

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A lot of people are posting their suggestions here, instead of on their own thread. I think you should put a note at the top, since it doesn't directly say it:

This is not the place to suggest things, this post is for you to check and see if your suggestion has been proposed already or is planned. Please post your suggestions on a new, seperate thread. Thank you.

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Quickly, before anyone says so: put up “Bring back ‘Add by tag’ ”

Lightnin wrote:

- Removed “Add by Tag” from studios, as it seems to encourage spammyness.

lunawolf20
Scratcher
3 posts

I was scripting earlier today and I had an idea for a new motion block. Maybe instead of just the “Glide _ Sec to x:_ y:_,” there could also be a block that says “Glide _ sec change x:_/y:_”, so that if one was making a sprite that jumps, it could have a smooth animation. I'm sure it's easier said than done, but it's an idea.
NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

lunawolf20 wrote:

I was scripting earlier today and I had an idea for a new motion block. Maybe instead of just the “Glide _ Sec to x:_ y:_,” there could also be a block that says “Glide _ sec change x:_/y:_”, so that if one was making a sprite that jumps, it could have a smooth animation. I'm sure it's easier said than done, but it's an idea.
This isn't the right place to suggest stuff. Please make a new topic for your suggestion.