Discuss Scratch

jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Before making a suggestion, be sure to check this topic for stuff that's already been suggested. The reasons listed here are all by the Scratch Team. If any responses are at all inconsistent with what they have said, please tell me and I will correct it.

This is just a list of the most common suggestions. For a more comprehensive list, see the complete list of rejected suggestions.

Suggestions that have been rejected
1. Allowing free chats with cloud variables
Allowing “free” chatrooms (i.e. where users can type in whatever they want) - for now, they are not allowed because of the potential for bullying, and there is no good way to moderate them. If you want to make a chat program, you may make a “safe” chat, where users can only select from a few messages.

2. Private messaging
When communication is public, people are more likely to be respectful because they know that everyone can see it. However, when posting PMs, people know that only the intended recipient can see it, so don't think as much before posting. Even if a “Flag PM” function is implemented, the Scratch Team currently does not have the resources to moderate it, because of the reason I said before there would be a lot of inappropriate/disrespectful messages.

3. Disabling “See inside”, restricting sharing, etc.
Several people want to be able to lock their projects so that they are read-only, and other people can't see the code to copy their scripts, sounds, or artwork. However, the motto of Scratch is "Imagine - Program - Share". By putting a project on the site, you give anyone who sees it the right to see your code, all data in it, and potentially copy it. Part of the whole goal of Scratch is remixing. If you do not wish to allow this, then you are welcome to publish the project on your own site (once the downloadable Scratch 2.0 comes out).

Restricting sharing (i.e. sharing a project so only some people can see it) is also not going to be implemented.

Paddle2See wrote:

We depend very heavily on our community to help us keep an eye on things and make sure that the Community Guidelines are being followed. Reducing the number of people that can see a project increases the likelihood that inappropriate content could be shared without being reported. That's a risk that we are not willing to take. Keeping everything out in the open is the best way we have found to help keep Scratch friendly and safe.
(source)

4. Rating projects or dislike button
While this would be a nice idea to see how good your project is, it has a major drawback. Often, when a user posts their first project, it is something fairly simple (for example, mine was a modified pong game). If a user posts a simple project to start, and then gets a lot of low ratings because it isn't a very advanced project, then they will want to quit because they will think their code is bad. The dislike button would have a similar effect of discouraging new users and would create an excessively negative environment.

5. Removing 60/120 second rule, New Scratcher status, etc.
While all of these things may seem annoying, they are extremely effective shields against spam.

6. Delete your comments on other peoples' projects
This is so that people can't post troll comments and then delete them, while you aren't likely to troll people on your own projects, studios, or profile. On the forums the solution to this is that you can only delete posts 24 hours after they have been posted, and deletes are not permanent (although I don't think they're permanent for comments either).

7. 3D Scratch
Scratch is a language that is designed to be as easy as possible for beginners to pick up. Adding 3D would make the language extremely complicated, and much more difficult for beginners to understand. There is a sister program to Scratch that contains 3D features, called Starlogo TNG. However, a different group has started developing a 3D version of Scratch that you can see at www.scratch3d.org. You can also try Alice, which is different from Scratch but has a bunch of stuff in common.

8. <broadcast [ ] received> boolean
There is way too much ambiguity to how this would work. Would it return true of the broadcast was fired at any point since the project was created, since the green flag was clicked, since something else was broadcasted, etc.? If you really want to do something like this, instead just make a variable and set it to 1 and use the equals block.

9. Game badges/achievements
(Thanks Faillord!)
This would harm Scratch's purpose, and people would determine their social worth on the site based on achievements in games, and some users would act as if they are more important than others merely because they have more game badges.

10. Changing your username
It would be very difficult to keep track of people if the could change usernames, and users would likely be confused when someone they follow changes their username. Additionally, that would add another layer of difficulty to the moderation of the website, making it harder for the Scratch Team to follow what a user is doing.

11. Off-topic/misc. section on forums
One used to exist (available here), but it was shut down due to a large amount of “flame wars” and difficulty moderating.

12. A 13+ version of the website
Scratch is designed for all ages, and dividing the community would not really help anybody.

13. Digital currency
Digital currency might be cool for some Scratchers but can cause problems such as competition and not focusing on Scratch's purpose. Scratch itself is not a game.

14. Banning minor remixes
Remixes are allowed as long as at least something is changed, even if it's minor.

15. Adding a Rank Above Scratcher

DaSpudLord wrote:

Scratch is not a place for people to worry about ranks. The New Scratcher rank only exists to filter spam, and since it only takes 2 weeks to get a promotion, bullying and separation is minimal. Additionally, this would divide the community between those who have a high rank and those who have a low rank, and there would be lots of bragging and bullying coming from users of higher ranks.

16. Live editing

Paddle2See wrote:

I agree that it isn't something we can support right now, because of the moderation and technical issues, however I don't agree with the statement that it teaches bad collaboration techniques. Just because it isn't the way something is done now, or by most people, isn't always a good reason to reject it.

I do think it should be added to the rejection list because the moderation and technical issues are quite substantial and I don't think we should spend time discussing it until we have more resources available to address those.

17. Removing restrictions on FNAF-based projects
These restrictions were put because many of these projects were considered too scary for younger users. Scratch was blocked on many networks because of this, such as school districts. Some parents have also reported that their children had nightmares, and some users were wary of browsing Scratch. Removing these restrictions could damage Scratch's reputation. The game itself wasn't banned from Scratch entirely, so you may still make things about the game as long as they don't break the guidelines. (Based on LionHeart70's post, with some rewording/shortening.)


Stuff that is still in progress but will be here later
Let me know when they are implemented!
1. Cloud lists and strings
I'm not quite sure what's going on with these. They were disabled originally due to a combination of server issues and questions over moderation (specifically chatrooms and similar communication tools that would be hard to moderate). I guess they're still working out those issues, but unfortunately there's no ETA on when (if ever) they will be back.

2. Scratch on mobile devices

Paddle2See wrote:

As for whether it is rejected or not - it may have been at one time. But times change and I know that our developers are currently working on tablet versions of Scratch. So I'll close this as an accepted suggestion.

3. Custom reporters
It looks like these are coming in Scratch 3.0.

Please tell me if there is incorrect/outdated information, or if there is something that should be added here!
Edit post

Last edited by jvvg (July 26, 2017 13:39:13)



I used to be very active on the forums, but now mostly just work on the Wiki.
Check out FutureBB 1.4, the latest and greatest forum system out there!

Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.









honeypot
NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Hey, could you please add something about downloading Scratch 2.0? I've seen a lot of people suggesting that, even though the Scratch Team has already said that it will come in the summer…
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

NoxSpooth wrote:

Hey, could you please add something about downloading Scratch 2.0? I've seen a lot of people suggesting that, even though the Scratch Team has already said that it will come in the summer…
Done.


I used to be very active on the forums, but now mostly just work on the Wiki.
Check out FutureBB 1.4, the latest and greatest forum system out there!

Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.









honeypot
Etellex
Scratcher
15 posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

1. Cloud data
1a. Cloud lists and strings - they will be implemented later, please be patient
1b. Allowing chatrooms - for now, they are not allowed because of the potential for bullying, and there is no good way to moderate them

Potential for bullying? Well why not take down the forums then?

__________________________________________________________

2. Private messaging
When communication is public, people are more likely to be respectful because they know that everyone can see it. However, when posting PMs, people know that only the intended recipient can see it, so don't think as much before posting. Even if a “Flag PM” function is implemented, the Scratch Team currently does not have the resources to moderate it, because of the reason I said before there would be a lot of inappropriate/disrespectful messages.

Here's something: “block user”

__________________________________________________________

3. Disabling “See inside” (formerly locking downloads)
Several people want to be able to lock their projects so that they are read-only, and other people can't see the code to copy their scripts, sounds, or artwork. However, the motto of Scratch is “Imagine - Program - Share”. By putting a project on the site, you give anyone who sees it the right to see your code, all data in it, and potentially copy it. Part of the whole goal of Scratch is remixing. If you do not wish to allow this, then you are welcome to publish the project on your own site (once the downloadable Scratch 2.0 comes out).

Alright, you have a good point, but there's barely any noticeable effort to give credit to an original author. All that there is to see is small text next to the title of the project that no one ever clicks, making remixes a lot easier to make than original projects and not giving original creators sufficient credit.

__________________________________________________________

4. Rating projects
While this would be a nice idea to see how good your project is, it has a major drawback. Often, when a user posts their first project, it is something fairly simple (for example, mine was a modified pong game). If a user posts a simple project to start, and then gets a lot of low ratings because it isn't a very advanced project, then they will want to quit because they will think their code is bad.

“then they will want to quit because they will think their code is bad.”
You don't even put “might” in there. And most likely, their code will be bad, but that's not the point. The point is taking criticism is crucial if someone ever wants to be a programmer. If someone write on my project that they though it was boring and that I didn't put enough effort into it, I would make sure that my next project is the most exciting project ever with the most effort I can put in. Now, say someone made that comment, and I was offended by it and decided to quit Scratch.
What I'm trying to say here is not to go strait into the rating, but to gradually give more of an option to make constructive criticism. Maybe a “Love It, Like It, Needs Improvment.”

__________________________________________________________


5. Accessing the old (Scratch 1.4) forums
There will be a read-only archive of them available at a later date.

Alright. I'm fine with that.

__________________________________________________________

6. Removing 60/180 rule, New Scratcher status, etc.
While all of these things may seem annoying, they are extremely effective shields against spam.

Again, fine with it. I absolutely cannot stand spam.

__________________________________________________________

7. Removing image host restriction or allowing users to add their sites
7a. Removing the host restriction - The image host restriction is in place to prevent inappropriate images from being posted. The allowed hosts were selected because they do not allow the kind of images that would be used to troll the forums.
7b. Allowing users to add their own image hosts - Lightnin explains it quite well

Umm, this isn't really enforced. Someone can easily highlight the link, and go to the page, or just copy and paste it on to their search. And as much as I love using imgur, I really do suggest this is more enforced.

__________________________________________________________

8. Downloading Scratch 2.0
It's coming this summer.

9. SDS, Curators, etc.
They are coming in the near future.

Both of these are fine.
Mimiandwormsfan123
Scratcher
59 posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Add a rule for “Surprise projects”

This message will explode in 5 seconds.
jadiker
Scratcher
28 posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

I must say this though: having people have access to the inside of your scripts kinda wrecks any chance for passcodes to certain levels or anything where only people who have played the game should know. I think creating something to lock that would be nice, although I do see your point.
Snorp09
Scratcher
28 posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

How did you get this as a sticky? Your not an admin.
NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Snorp09 wrote:

How did you get this as a sticky? Your not an admin.
An admin did that for him. Also, not all stickied posts are from the Scratch Team.

Last edited by NoxSpooth (May 12, 2013 18:17:31)

kayybee
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

jvvg, you should add a note saying how to suggest things. (aka not here, but in your own topic.)
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Etellex wrote:

…a bunch of stuff…
Please note that none of these reasons are by me. I am just trying to summarize the Scratch Team's response to each one.

Mimiandwormsfan123 wrote:

Add a rule for “Surprise projects”
Good idea.

Snorp09 wrote:

How did you get this as a sticky? Your not an admin.
I had to request it be stickied.

kayybee wrote:

jvvg, you should add a note saying how to suggest things. (aka not here, but in your own topic.)
Actually, because of the subject of this topic, I think that would be good to put here.


I used to be very active on the forums, but now mostly just work on the Wiki.
Check out FutureBB 1.4, the latest and greatest forum system out there!

Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.









honeypot
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

I think maybe you should just create two lists - one for rejected ideas, one for suggestions that are in progress of being implemented. This makes it easier to spot the status of an idea instead of going through a single suggestion list.

The chatroom suggestion under cloud data is incorrect - we do allow chatroom projects provided it's designed as a safe chat.

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

cheddargirl wrote:

I think maybe you should just create two lists - one for rejected ideas, one for suggestions that are in progress of being implemented. This makes it easier to spot the status of an idea instead of going through a single suggestion list.
Good idea. I'll do that soon.

chaddargirl wrote:

The chatroom suggestion under cloud data is incorrect - we do allow chatroom projects provided it's designed as a safe chat.
Fixed.


I used to be very active on the forums, but now mostly just work on the Wiki.
Check out FutureBB 1.4, the latest and greatest forum system out there!

Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.









honeypot
epninja
Scratcher
100 posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Well, an idea for a new block, sadly I didn't get to suggest this before the site went live.
A ‘last key pressed’ boolean. This would be a very useful boolean, allowing you to track the keys pressed without scripts and scripts of ‘ifs’, uses for this might be customized controls, so reams and reams of scripting is not used to detect each key, on screen ‘typers’ such as This , you'll see it uses a very long script as well. And also maybe it returns the key as a number value, maybe corresponding to the alphabet and numbers come after, so it can be used alongside costumes and coordinates. One negative aspect of this might be people taking advantage of it and getting passwords and such, but it doesn't work outside the Scratch project, and hopefully people wouldn't use their account passwords in a project. But I think it would be a nice idea simplifying some scripts by a lot.
funnyman1120
Scratcher
22 posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

I have a suggestion. I wanted to look in some of my old projects for one of the first projects i had ever made. But i have over 800 projects and the only way i could scroll down on my projects really was hitting ‘Load More’. I think there needs to be some way to get to pages of your projects easier. Maybe a drop down box of page numbers?

Scratcher for 5+ years. Fairly advanced.
Currently working with C++ and C#, also have a lot of general programming language.
Need help? Send me a message or comment on one of my scratch projects.
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

epninja wrote:

Well, an idea for a new block, sadly I didn't get to suggest this before the site went live.
A ‘last key pressed’ boolean. This would be a very useful boolean, allowing you to track the keys pressed without scripts and scripts of ‘ifs’, uses for this might be customized controls, so reams and reams of scripting is not used to detect each key, on screen ‘typers’ such as This , you'll see it uses a very long script as well. And also maybe it returns the key as a number value, maybe corresponding to the alphabet and numbers come after, so it can be used alongside costumes and coordinates. One negative aspect of this might be people taking advantage of it and getting passwords and such, but it doesn't work outside the Scratch project, and hopefully people wouldn't use their account passwords in a project. But I think it would be a nice idea simplifying some scripts by a lot.

funnyman1120 wrote:

I have a suggestion. I wanted to look in some of my old projects for one of the first projects i had ever made. But i have over 800 projects and the only way i could scroll down on my projects really was hitting ‘Load More’. I think there needs to be some way to get to pages of your projects easier. Maybe a drop down box of page numbers?
These are good suggestions, but this is a topic that just contains suggestions that have been rejected or haven't been implemented yet, so this is not the best place to post them. However, if you make a new topic with these ideas, that would be great.


I used to be very active on the forums, but now mostly just work on the Wiki.
Check out FutureBB 1.4, the latest and greatest forum system out there!

Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.









honeypot
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Surprise projects… as in just a random one shows up somewhere? Where? How? Please explain farther! Because I was thinking the Front Page should have a carousel for “Older Projects,” as in greater than 2 weeks old. These projects almost never get viewed because the Front Page only shows recent stuff by nature, and the Explore page is chronological by default. The idea is every time you load the front page, the carousel randomly picks out a number of older projects to display.

Sure, with this innapropriate stuff could potentially show up, but that can get it reported and taken down. Also, Scratchers who have had the ST condemn one of their projects should be ruled out of having their projects show up there.

“What the community is sharing” can also display dirty projects. How old a project is doesn't change whether or not it's clean, so it has the same chance of displaying bad stuff whether it's new or old.

Last edited by Failord (May 14, 2013 14:01:12)


Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

Failord wrote:

Surprise projects… as in just a random one shows up somewhere? Where? How? Please explain farther! Because I was thinking the Front Page should have a carousel for “Older Projects,” as in greater than 2 weeks old. These projects almost never get viewed because the Front Page only shows recent stuff by nature, and the Explore page is chronological by default. The idea is every time you load the front page, the carousel randomly picks out a number of older projects to display.

Sure, with this innapropriate stuff could potentially show up, but that can get it reported and taken down. Also, Scratchers who have had the ST condemn one of their projects should be ruled out of having their projects show up there.

“What the community is sharing” can also display dirty projects. How old a project is doesn't change whether or not it's clean, so it has the same chance of displaying bad stuff whether it's new or old.
I don't have much of a better explanation. If you can find any quotes from a member of the ST on this, please tell me. However, if you disagree with something here, please post it in a new topic.


I used to be very active on the forums, but now mostly just work on the Wiki.
Check out FutureBB 1.4, the latest and greatest forum system out there!

Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.









honeypot
EmeraldDaffodils
Scratcher
100+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

You are going to become a curator of what in which May?

NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

EmeraldDaffodils wrote:

You are going to become a curator of what in which May?
He's going to be a Scratch curator in May 2013.

Also, that's very off-topic…

Last edited by NoxSpooth (May 16, 2013 00:34:55)

Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LIST OF REJECTED SUGGESTIONS (READ BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING)

jvvg wrote:

8. Surprise projects
There is too much potential for inappropriate projects to show up there.

Can you link the topic? I'm not seeing anything about it besides what I saw here and what I posted AFTER seeing this. Is it in the 1.4 forums, perhaps?

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile