Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

That's not very nice… 34 likes!? That's unlikely

Regards,
awesome5185

Featured Studio!
Ask Ouija!
Ask a question and get your answers one. letter. at. a. time. Join now!

; Santa Claus and Mrs Claus wanted to get a devorce. However, being in the north pole, there was no one there to help them do that. So they used a semi colon instead; they are great for seperating two independent clauses.
Abstract-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

No Support for both.

Liking Comments:

We don't need more fame

Needs Improvment:

That is what comments are for, but we can actually tell them what to imprve.
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

awesome5185 wrote:

Wow @Zro716, I've never thought on how likes could be a BAD thing. I guess it could be used for fame. But the main reason i suggested it was because if you don't know what to say other than “I agree” or “yeah” then just a simple ‘like’ would do. Plus, the commenter might have made a good point that needs to stand out, and many Scratchers agree, then likes would draw people to read that comment.

Also how many people would like a comment saying “like if you like scratch??” It's just old.

EDIT: Thanks for taking the time to write a whole persuasive argument.
If you simply agree there is no reason to say anything; even like it. The main reason is because you aren't going to be adding to discussion saying “I agree” or liking a post. If anything adding something to the discussion is better than anything else.

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella
Solmux
Scratcher
100+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

Superandultra wrote:

No support, its like the project rating thing. It discourages unpopular opinions as they would probably get alot of dislikes.

v i s i t m y p r o f i l e o r e l s e y o u w i l l b e b a n i s h e d f r o m t h e l a n d o f e x i s t e n c e . f o l l o w t o o .

this is very sad. can we hit 50 likes pls?
alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

Solmux wrote:

Superandultra wrote:

No support, its like the project rating thing. It discourages unpopular opinions as they would probably get alot of dislikes.
Please don't make someone else's post as your entire post. It's just repeating what someone else said and it adds nothing to the discussion.

I'm just going to move my post from a duplicate topic to this one.

There probably should be a hidden thumbs up next to the comment you want to like, and to get rid of the like (rather than going from 1 to -1), you click on it again. It wouldn't show how many likes a comment has, but comments with more likes will appear on the top. There also should be a filter saying “top comments” and “new comments”

I also doubt someone will like a comment that says this:
LIKE MY COMMENT OR ELSE I WILL REPORT U!!!!!!!!

This feature would be very useful, because most of the comments these days are just “lol” or “cool” or “_meow_”, or people just talking (like the OP said) which can be really annoying for Scratchers on the front page. Liking comments will help get constructive comments (such as feedback or suggestions) more noticeable and will help encourage constructive comments.

To those who say “no support would cause more competition”:
First of all, Scratch and real life has competition, whether you like it or not. Second, this isn't exactly encouraging competition, rather, it's encouraging people to be more constructive. More constructive comments would appear on the top.

Now, the downsides. I've seen comments on YouTube that say something like:
Like this comment or Harambe will kidnap you
1 Like = 1 Cookie

In that case, we should add to “what we should report?”: “Report any comments that solicit likes or threatens people that do not like the comment.”

wow that was the biggest reply I have ever written
bigpuppy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

alexphan wrote:

Now, the downsides. I've seen comments on YouTube that say something like:
Like this comment or Harambe will kidnap you
1 Like = 1 Cookie
That will probably happen less on Scratch, because the Scratch community is way different than the YouTube community. I totally agree with your full post though.

“Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right.” -Jane Goodall
JonathanSchaffer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

Zro716 wrote:

if allowed, can we upvote our own comments?
probably not.

club penguin is kil
GryffindorFreak1
Scratcher
100+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

No support, because what if somebody posted “Like this comment for a follow!” or
“Like this and good fortune will come to you, I swear!”

Also: oh my gosh, yay, this is my 100th post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by GryffindorFreak1 (Jan. 8, 2017 02:25:49)

“After all this time, Severus?”
“Always.”

Exactly 221 posts

bigpuppy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

JonathanSchaffer wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

probably not.
Why not? We can love our own projects.

“Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right.” -Jane Goodall
raspykoo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

MrSherlockHolmes wrote:

Too much like youtube. Anyway, comments are mostly irrelevant. The project is what counts

You can say that the tagging system is too much like Twitter, too. lol.
Empty-Map
Scratcher
100+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

Ya this would be nice to have. I would also like it on the comment on projects.

Pokemon Showdown (Battle Simulator) - 6 Game Modes With 17 Pokemon To Choose From! Buy Items In The Shop!

↑..Click The Image To Go to The Project..↑
VideoGamerCanInvent
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

I like the idea

Support!!

woah, haven't been on here in a while
jji10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

We could set up a system like Reddit where there are both upvotes and downvotes. This could also create a sort of self managing system, but then again, that could create competition for karma and downvoting your rivals etc.

“Yipee, I did it!” the man said with glee,
“I've solved that darned riddle, I've solved it, you see!”
The sphinx simply smiled and shook her strange head,
“I'm afraid you're wrong, and therefore you're dead.”
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

jji10 wrote:

We could set up a system like Reddit where there are both upvotes and downvotes. This could also create a sort of self managing system, but then again, that could create competition for karma and downvoting your rivals etc.
Downvotes have been rejected:

Paddle2See wrote:

P444 wrote:

No support. The website (and scratch) is intended for young children. A dislike or negative review may not mean much to us, but children do take them personally and it will hurt their feelings.
Right, we would rather see Scratchers being encouraging and giving helpful, constructive feedback rather than “disliking” things. End of story

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
redglitter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

I think this is a great idea!
But maybe to avoid spam, the liking/upvoting comments engine could have a censor in it so if it was something like ‘Like for a follow!’ or ‘Like if you agree!’ it could edit out that part automatically.
We could also have liking/upvoting posts.

raspykoo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

Thelnvoker
Scratcher
100+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

I support for the original idea of up-voting a comment. This could be useful in Studio RP's to show that you like someone's character or RP chain, as well in Debate studios, to show that you agree with someone's opinion.

Last edited by Thelnvoker (April 30, 2017 05:02:41)

I'm a basically a potato or cat or something with a very dark sense of humor who likes steampunk, traditional art, Skyrim, etc.

Anyone wanna RP with me?

VideoGamerCanInvent
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

Zro716 wrote:

Well, probably not. Like in most games and websites, you can't upvote your own.

Support.

VideoGamerCanInvent
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

redglitter wrote:

I think this is a great idea!
But maybe to avoid spam, the liking/upvoting comments engine could have a censor in it so if it was something like ‘Like for a follow!’ or ‘Like if you agree!’ it could edit out that part automatically.
We could also have liking/upvoting posts.

That's a bit difficult, but yes it could cause spam. If spam became a problem you could just report it.

alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

awesome5185 wrote:

That's not very nice… 34 likes!? That's unlikely
i see what you did there ;)

Upvoting comments would be a great idea, but there should be some things to consider if the ST would implement this feature:

-You should be able to report comments that say “Like if…” or “If you (don't) like this comment…” or “Today's (…), can I get some likes?” or any other comment that tries to get “upvotes.”

-You should only be able to upvote or not upvote. There should not be any downvoting.

-There should be a filter for “most upvoted” so people can see the most relevant comments on the project instead of “lol” “cool” “this is stupid” “hi ” “same” “first!!!”, and then for “most recent” if you really want to see the latest comments.