Discuss Scratch

dave4681
Scratcher
500+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

This wouldn't work.
A, because hardly anyone would comment about the project anymore (they'd just be commenting stuff that people would upvote in any situation).
And B, because it wouldn't work with the current ‘Newest Comments First’ system. And I guarantee you that nobody wants comments ordered on how many upvotes they have.
NilsTheBest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

dave4681 wrote:

And I guarantee you that nobody wants comments ordered on how many upvotes they have.
How can you prove this statement? Have you asked many people? You can't make assumptions like this if you don't have a backup.

NilsTheChair | 5 years on Scratch | 4000+ posts | former wiki editor | 332nd FPC | CoR founder
Truck11111
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

dave4681 wrote:

And I guarantee you that nobody wants comments ordered on how many upvotes they have.
guess im nobody now

sufferin' succotash!
BumpSign
Scratcher
100+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

NilsTheBest wrote:

BumpSign wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think likes would take up less space.
How so? When there are over 4 or 5 replies they hide the rest.
The text would still be stored on the server though.

dave4681 wrote:

Then make it optional. Like on YouTube.

Last edited by BumpSign (May 29, 2019 21:22:18)

New account of @monstermash3

Big fan of Peanuts and TMBG.
Mr_PenguinAlex
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

I know I said “no support” before, but now I've reconsidered.
Support. Just report the “1 like = you get pants” type comments.

kritav
Scratcher
100+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

No support.

Voting up comments would mean

1 like= free cookies
CaN We GeT 100 LiKeS

and that kind of stuff. Scratch is about programming, not commenting. We are supposed to be programming, not liking comments, which takes away from the actual learning.
StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

support, as long as liking/upvoting(upliking) a comment doesn't send the comment creator a notification, this would make upliking just be for finding the most helpful/funny/entertaining comments that there are.

“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;”
- Doctrine and Covenants 18:10

I have since moved to @JollyWinter
BumpSign
Scratcher
100+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

kritav wrote:

No support.

Voting up comments would mean

1 like= free cookies
CaN We GeT 100 LiKeS

and that kind of stuff.

alexphan wrote:

In that case, we should add to “what we should report?”: “Report any comments that solicit likes or threatens people that do not like the comment.”

kritav wrote:

Scratch is about programming, not commenting. We are supposed to be programming, not liking comments, which takes away from the actual learning.
Then why do we have loving/favoriting projects?

New account of @monstermash3

Big fan of Peanuts and TMBG.
--Snowball--
Scratcher
500+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

little_kitten wrote:

I like the idea. What if you could like forum posts too? I think we'd need that!

No. The problem is that upvoting forum posts would then make the posts out of order. If someone was quoting someone and that post got a higher place in the upvote system, that one would appear higher up the thread, so you'd need to read the whole thing flicking through the tabs.

I've since moved on from Scratch, and now I'm making games in the Godot Engine, music in LMMS, art in Photoshop, and other various things that aren't involving this website anymore. Thanks to Scratch for getting me interested in this stuff!
--Snowball--
Scratcher
500+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

Maybe we could have an option on how to order comments. We could decide next to the comments whether we'd like them ordered by upvoting, by time they were posted, or maybe some other options.

I've since moved on from Scratch, and now I'm making games in the Godot Engine, music in LMMS, art in Photoshop, and other various things that aren't involving this website anymore. Thanks to Scratch for getting me interested in this stuff!
NilsTheBest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

BumpSign wrote:

kritav wrote:

programming, not liking comments, which takes away from the actual learning.
Then why do we have loving/favoriting projects?
Liking projects isn't the same thing as liking comments. When you make a project, you're inspired to program, right? But when you're making a comment, you're just… writing? Isn't Scratch about programming?

People like projects to show support to the creator.

Last edited by NilsTheBest (June 1, 2019 13:58:40)

NilsTheChair | 5 years on Scratch | 4000+ posts | former wiki editor | 332nd FPC | CoR founder
--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

I feel like that would just make scratchers even more competitive to get upvotes on their comments. If actually implemented, there would obviously be no downvotes, as that goes against the community guidelines of Scratch. Personally, I feel like that's not a necessary feature, while it might be cool to have, I think it would create more problems in the long run.

I do however support that feature for forum posts, as I feel that using upvoting in the forums may actually be useful to see who agrees with what, instead of having to scroll through posts to find people's opinions on a topic.

NilsTheBest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

--Waterfall-- wrote:

I do however support that feature for forum posts, as I feel that using upvoting in the forums may actually be useful to see who agrees with what, instead of having to scroll through posts to find people's opinions on a topic.
Wouldn't that make the forums seem more like a “ballot box”? Why upvote when you don't give out a reason? On the forums you're supposed to be constructive, it's after all called the discussion forums.

--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

NilsTheBest wrote:

--Waterfall-- wrote:

Wouldn't that make the forums seem more like a “ballot box”? Why upvote when you don't give out a reason? On the forums you're supposed to be constructive, it's after all called the discussion forums.

I mean that, while they should still definitely leave their ideas and criticism in the forum, there should be an option to upvote suggestions just for the creator to see more easily, so they can edit their posts based off of what other user's popular ideas say. By doing this, instead of the creator having to edit their posts painfully and annoyingly each time someone leaves a suggestion that people agree with, they can easily edit it based off of how many upvotes a suggestion has.

Last edited by --Waterfall-- (June 1, 2019 15:38:47)

NilsTheBest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

--Waterfall-- wrote:

NilsTheBest wrote:

--Waterfall-- wrote:

I mean that, while they should still definitely leave their ideas and criticism in the forum, there should be an option to upvote suggestions just for the creator to see more easily, so they can edit their posts based off of what other user's popular ideas say. By doing this, instead of the creator having to edit their posts painfully and annoyingly each time someone leaves a suggestion that people agree with, they can easily edit it based off of how many upvotes a suggestion has.
I don't really understand what you mean by that, could you please elaborate? If you mean having people add in the OP who supports the suggestion and who doesn't, that's not necessary. Saying how many supporters there are won't affect anything.

MaximunPokeMaster
Scratcher
500+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

Semi-Support, it's a good idea, but it could lead to competition.

H
NilsTheBest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

MaximunPokeMaster wrote:

Semi-Support, it's a good idea, but it could lead to competition.
Loves on projects already lead to competition. And competition is omnipresent on Scratch - featured projects, explore, becoming FPC, top-loved…

coder2045
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

Superandultra wrote:

No support, its like the project rating thing. It discourages unpopular opinions as they would probably get alot of dislikes.
They said “no dislikes.”

Highlight this text and press Ctrl-Shift-Down to view more of my signature. There's a lot in there.
I FOUND THE POSTIE POSTIE POST LINK THIS
Brainteaser: What comes next? Answer on my profile. First correct answer gets a follow.

[ ]
[ [ ] ]
[ [ [ ] ] [ ] ]
Good projects ⬇️

neeb132
Scratcher
500+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

neeb132
Scratcher
500+ posts

Liking/upvoting comments

Support. Comments aren't very useful if they just get buried after a while You should also be able to sort by newest comments or most popular.