Discuss Scratch

Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A Local Clear Block for pen intensive projects!

I like these blocks, they would make pen much more interesting to use.
I'm not sure however how easy this would be to implement. Who knows.

Sigton

The4thPixel
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support for all. I feel as if they would make pen easier, but still better to use.

Sigton wrote:

I like these blocks, they would make pen much more interesting to use.
I'm not sure however how easy this would be to implement. Who knows.

Sigton
It probably can't be too hard, considering the block only has one argument that determines which pen to clear.
WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Two of the clear pen blocks have been duplicated from this post.
The stamp blocks can be found in a comment on this topic.
—–
You're welcome for the duplicates I could find, but it took a long time!
(NOTE: Couldn't find a duplicate for the “Pen Color” block, so I assume that's an original!)

Last edited by WolfCat67 (Dec. 23, 2016 16:05:48)

JonathanSchaffer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

support for all.

club penguin is kil
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It looks like I've already changed my stance on this quite a few times, but right now (cross-posted from a duplicate):

stickfiregames wrote:

No support. It sounds like a good idea in theory, but it would mean Scratch would have to track each sprite's pen drawings separately as well as which order those drawings are in. It gets worse when you realise two sprites' drawings could be both in front of and behind each other at different points, like this:

which would mean making multiple layers per sprite.

If anyone can think of a way to do it without those problems I'll change to support.

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
Abootest4
Scratcher
17 posts

monstermash3 wrote:

Aboot4 wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

Indifferent. When would this be used?
I already said. “It'd be very useful for pen games and projects, such as platformers and loaders. ” It'd also be used even more for pen design projects.
Whoops! Didn't read that part. Still indifferent (I would need an example to be sure) but I would support editing the clear block more than making it a new block.
It's been 1.5 years, but… I finally have a use for it xD I'm trying to make 2 different pen particles in 2 different sprites but the clear block removes all of the pen and I need it to only focus on one sprite's ;p

sorry for posting this so late
i realize its frowned upon
R.I.P
space_elephant
Scratcher
500+ posts

I like this sugestion but I don't see how it could be implemented for things like

red link
[url=redlink.com][color=red][u]red link[/u][/color][/url]
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This already exists.
clear

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LionHeart70 wrote:

This already exists.
clear
No it doesn't. That clears all pen from all sprites.

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
yzyzyz
Scratcher
500+ posts

support. You don't know how much I need it.

hi! I'm yzyzyz, the owner of the #bring_it_back studio, a sticky, 400+ projects and 500+ posts.
I am an active scratcher.
advertise in my signature!
ad:Urgently need a popular animation? If you do, check out Every Time I Share A Project, by Randomness-TV!
AuabvK
Scratcher
24 posts

Support
mrbumppo
Scratcher
500+ posts

Support.

mrbumppo
The Internet is a weird place, so don't question it.

Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think this would slow down all pen projects because it would have to keep track of every movement the sprite has made while the pen was down, and the block could lag the project as it clears a sprite's pen because it first has to clear everything, then redraw all the other sprite's pen.

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
scratchist10
Scratcher
1 post

I just recently found that instead of using a clear block you can use the ghost effect at the end. All you have to do is put
set [ghost v] effect to (100)
Then put
set [ghost v] effect to (0)
at the beginning of the script.
Such as…
when green flag clicked
set [ghost v] effect to (0)
pen down
move (20) steps
pen up
set [ghost v] effect to (100)
Rougeheart
Scratcher
19 posts

Support {Even made my own forum supporting the idea https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/309179/?page=1#post-3203350 }

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night
-Sarah Williams

Mr_PenguinAlex
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Blank1234 wrote:

IT WOULD CREATE INTENSE LAG KEEPING TRACT OF ALL THE PEN ACTIONS OF A SPRITE, SO NO SUPPORT
Please don't use excessive caps, and I dont think it will, Blank.

SimplyKomplex
Scratcher
100+ posts

No support, I don't understand why anyone would use that when workarounds are simple and more efficient.

SimplyKomplex
aidenawesome
Scratcher
18 posts

75% support
I don't use pen often, but when i do, i would use this SO often

lag wouldn't be a problem, scratch already has a layer for each sprite.
rdococ
Scratcher
500+ posts

The way that pen works currently is that Scratch stores a single pen layer, which is displayed in front of the stage but behind every sprite.

It would be easy to separate this into multiple layers, one for each sprite and one for the stage, but that then raises an interesting question. If Sprite1 draws over Sprite2's drawings, and Sprite2 then draws over Sprite1's drawings, what would happen?

In the old system, Sprite1's first drawing would overwrite the parts of Sprite2's first drawing where they overlap, but Sprite2's second drawings would partially overwrite Sprite1's drawing.

However, if you have a layer for each sprite, then either both of Sprite2's drawings would be drawn over Sprite1's drawing, or Sprite1's drawing would be drawn over both of Sprite2's drawings.

One solution to this would be to have multiple layers for each sprite - so that when Sprite1 draws over Sprite2's old drawing, and Sprite2 then draws over that, then a second layer, in front of Sprite1's first drawing, is created for Sprite2's second drawing. This might result in quite a bit lag if multiple sprites are drawing at once, though - you'd have a new layer for each line that each sprite draws.

This could be very useful, but it might result in quite a bit of lag, so semi-support for now.
octoantmeleon
Scratcher
17 posts

Support! I think it would be a great idea.

Octo

Memes | Games | Mathematics | Demos | Tests | Science

My best game!