Discuss Scratch

Wes64
Scratcher
500+ posts

A Local Clear Block for pen intensive projects!

lalala3 wrote:

Wes64 wrote:

you could actually achieve this by using clones. if you're needing less than 300 things stamped, just make a broadcast that deletes all of a specific sprite's clones, and then use the “clone myself” block as you would a stamp.
What about pen lines and such?
pen lines can be rendered extremely quickly using atomic procedures, so it would also be possible to have some sort of selective clearing happen. id imagine it would use lists.

Using Firefox 46.0.1, Flash plugin version 21.0.0.242, and Windows 7 Professional.
A computer does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. - Murphy's Law
Wes64
Scratcher
500+ posts

Zparx wrote:

Wes64 wrote:

you could actually achieve this by using clones. if you're needing less than 300 things stamped, just make a broadcast that deletes all of a specific sprite's clones, and then use the “clone myself” block as you would a stamp.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding your work around, Wes. Could you please explain?
http://beta.scratch.mit.edu/projects/10092749/

Using Firefox 46.0.1, Flash plugin version 21.0.0.242, and Windows 7 Professional.
A computer does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. - Murphy's Law
botcrusher
Scratcher
500+ posts

+1

Pondering what to work on.
LiquidMetal
Scratcher
100+ posts

Each sprite should be able to stamp on its own pen layer.

Concerns:
What if pen-trails of multiple sprites intersect?
Does hiding a sprite hide its pen layer?
savaka
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What if it was like [clear by ] with that having all sprites?
Rub0Gameton
Scratcher
100+ posts

LiquidMetal wrote:

Concerns:
I like your idea.
Zparx
Scratcher
500+ posts

LiquidMetal wrote:

Concerns:

I like this! My idea was merely a rough sketch of something, but the Scratch Team can transform it into whatever they feel is necessary.
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Problem with using clones- the 300 limit.

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
OrcaCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Meh, seems like a great idea. But I'm not passionate about this suggestion.

Failord wrote:

A workaround for that would be multiple sprites, no?

Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

OrcaCat wrote:

Meh, seems like a great idea. But I'm not passionate about this suggestion.

Failord wrote:

A workaround for that would be multiple sprites, no?

300 TOTAL clones- meaning it jams when Sprite1 has been cloned 176 times and Sprite2 has been cloned 124 times. This is for preventing data overloads.

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
7734f
Scratcher
500+ posts

I agree to this, but with the option of having it local or global. So yeah.

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zparx wrote:

This post seemed to be liked by many for Scratch 1.4, so I figured I'd copy the post! (It's mine)

The current “Clear” block in Scratch clears everything drawn by pen or stamped from any and every sprite that used it. This can be a problem for multiple sprites using the pen for separate purposes. For example, if a user wanted to display money and health with numbers using two separate sprites using a stamping method, one of the two sprites would become invisible due to both of the sprites using the “clear” block. There are workarounds to this if someone is using anywhere under 5 sprites using the “clear” block, but anything over that amount becomes a problem. I think it would be very convenient if Scratch had “clear” blocks that only cleared pen-drawings and stampings from the specific sprite that made the drawings or stampings. This doesn't mean I would suggest the “clear” block be eliminated altogether, just that the Scratch team adds a separate one with a different functionality. It could be called “Clear for (sprite name)” or something. Also, I think it would be a good idea if this was a block, that it could be used by non-specific sprites to clear other sprite's drawings/stamps. For example, lets say you're browsing the pen blocks under Sprite 2. You could see something like this:

Clear all for {sprite 1 v}

(^^^ Not sure how scratch blocks work with 2.0 forums .-.)

Does anyone see how this would be problematic? If you support, please comment!

Click here to see an example of a project that needs a local clear block to function as intended.

NOTES FOR THE ABOVE LINKED PROJECT:

It is imperative that you read the information in the side panes (notes, etc) to understand why the project is doing what it's doing and how it is doing so. Also, if you take a look at this project, and the scripts used, maybe you'll have a better understanding of why local clear blocks should be implemented!

IF YOU SUPPORT, PLEASE GO TO THIS LINK!
Click here to vote!

—————————————————
SUPPORTERS FROM SCRATCH 1.4
—————————————————

* Zparx (Me)
* jji7skyline
* chongyian
* dvd4
* Mokat
* OverPowered
* ErnieParke
* tally7
* KrIsMa
* joefarebrother
* northmeister
* CopperHawk
* jontmy00
* legobob23o
* Nomolos

————————————————————
SUPPORTERS FROM SCRATCH 2.0 BETA

————————————————————

* Zparx
* bullelk12
* dusty22
* SFollis
* cmot
* bobbybeetest
* lalala3
* Markyparky
* lunaluvgood
* Failord
* botcrusher
* LiquidMetal
I support. Please add me! :)

Last edited by joshuaho (May 23, 2013 21:58:09)

College student studying Communication and Fire Technology, communication lab tutor, guitar and piano player, perfectionist, and just some guy who regularly eats and trains physically to stay healthy.
darkness3560
Scratcher
100+ posts

+1,000,000
Zparx
Scratcher
500+ posts

Guys, this post is obsolete. Selective pen clearing can be achieved within clones because their clear blocks are clone specific! Try it out, it's really neat!
OrcaCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zparx wrote:

Guys, this post is obsolete. Selective pen clearing can be achieved within clones because their clear blocks are clone specific! Try it out, it's really neat!

That's amazing!

SFollis
Scratcher
500+ posts

Zparx wrote:

:O really!??!?! awesome! i have to try that out some time.

DadOfMrLog
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@Zparx:
This sounds like it could be useful, but I don't see it in a little test project I've just made…
Create two clones, pen-draw a (different) line with each, also stamp its (different) costume in a different place for each, then only one of them does a clear a few secs later - everything vanishes.
Am I missing/misunderstanding something…?

Alternate account: TheLogFather –– HowTos and useful custom blocks (see studio). Examples below…

- String manipulation - - - X to power of Y - - - Clone point to clone - Detect New Scratcher - Speed tests studio -

OrcaCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DadOfMrLog wrote:

@Zparx:
This sounds like it could be useful, but I don't see it in a little test project I've just made…
Create two clones, pen-draw a (different) line with each, also stamp its (different) costume in a different place for each, then only one of them does a clear a few secs later - everything vanishes.
Yeah.

But I did “say (myclonenumber)”, which was a private variable, and they all said 1

Zparx
Scratcher
500+ posts

OrcaCat wrote:

DadOfMrLog wrote:

@Zparx:

Ahh, it seems I was incorrect! I thought the clear block was clone specific because of something that happened earlier on while working on a project of mine. It must have been another late night case of false positives in my code Sorry about any troubles you had trying to get this to work, it does not
OrcaCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zparx wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

DadOfMrLog wrote:

@Zparx:

Ahh, it seems I was incorrect! I thought the clear block was clone specific because of something that happened earlier on while working on a project of mine. It must have been another late night case of false positives in my code Sorry about any troubles you had trying to get this to work, it does not
Um.

I don't think I said that

Last edited by OrcaCat (May 30, 2013 00:42:49)