Discuss Scratch

excelguru
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The New Super Mario Topic WII (note: not just for Super Mario Wii)

There have been ten posts this year so far, (3.5 months) compared to 14 on the first day and 236 in the first month. What is happening? Meanwhile there have been three duplicate topics with 9 total posts (even if most of them were just to point out duplicates). I think it might be time to make a new topic.

How to Make a Mouse Trail
Want to add a mouse trail to your Scratch projects? Try our latest tutorial!
Yento-Kun
Scratcher
500+ posts

excelguru wrote:

There have been ten posts this year so far, (3.5 months) compared to 14 on the first day and 236 in the first month. What is happening? Meanwhile there have been three duplicate topics with 9 total posts (even if most of them were just to point out duplicates). I think it might be time to make a new topic.
nah.

squigward
LandonHarter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This morning, while chatting with my friends, I cracked a joke about Chain Chomps biting their tongues, and we ended up spending at least two hours puzzling over how Chain Chomps function, live and survive.

LandonHarter
I prefer to be called Landon. Don't use my full username too much.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Male|15 y/o|English|Rain World, Rhythm Doctor, No Man's Sky|American|Mineral Fish fandom co-founder|Neutral Sociality|#9d0|Chaotic Neutral

“A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.”

excelguru
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Nintendo already told me all about Mario, but now I also know about Luigi, Bowser, and Princess Peach!

-gge
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LandonHarter wrote:

This morning, while chatting with my friends, I cracked a joke about Chain Chomps biting their tongues, and we ended up spending at least two hours puzzling over how Chain Chomps function, live and survive.
want the full story?
Orb_Fish: when chain chomps bite their tongues, they REALLY bite their tongues
Orb_Fish: end of shower thought
PkmnQ: do they have tongues?
Orb_Fish: idk
PkmnQ: i checked and they don;t
Orb_Fish: what if they do & they're just not visible?
PkmnQ: i'm going to need a more detailed check for that
PkmnQ: time to open super mario odyssey
PkmnQ: super mario 64 won't work because the lack of tongue can just be excused as inability to put that much detail
ultsppi: Image
ultsppi: https://www.mariowiki.com/Gallery:Chain_Chomp
Orb_Fish: ok
ultsppi: they seem to lack tongues
PkmnQ: i can't believe i jumpscared myself with the super mario odyssey sound
Orb_Fish: opens link in private window
PkmnQ: it could be excused as a bad angle, so i'm still going to do the odyssey check
ultsppi: https://www.mariowiki.com/images/2/2a/DMW-ChainChomp.png?20190711193645
ultsppi: good angle, definitely no tongue
PkmnQ: i see it firsthand too
PkmnQ: no tongue
ultsppi: https://www.mariowiki.com/images/7/77/MKDD_Chain_Chomp.png
ultsppi: this one kind of looks like it has a tongue, but its probably suspiciously tongue-like shading, and the ingame render has no tongue
ultsppi: basically, no tongue
Orb_Fish: . . . I've never seen more chain chomps in one place in my life
JackyBC: me too
PkmnQ: it seems their teeth are only for hurting, not to chew food, as there is no digestive system connected to the mouth
PkmnQ: my first hypothesis is that their black color is to absorb sunlight and thus they undergo photosynthesis
ultsppi: due to their metallic everything they may be built
PkmnQ: however they clearly have reflections
ultsppi: but who knows???
CST1229 has joined
PkmnQ: so surely they would evolve to be non-metallic?
PkmnQ: oh wait they have *eyes
BridgerFish: 99,99Orb_Fish: hi
ultsppi: hello we are currently deciding the evolutional advantages of the chain chomp
CST1229: cr dead
ultsppi: we've decided they cant bite their tongue because they do not have them
ultsppi: part 2: what if piranha plant bite tongue
JackyBC: yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JackyBC: chan rec is BACK!!!!!!! (funny moment)
ultsppi: we dont know if they have tongues yet
PkmnQ: the switch is still on
Orb Fish: starch
PkmnQ: it is important to distinguish that there are several types of piranha plants
PkmnQ: (biting) piranha plants, poison-spitting piranha plants, and fire-spitting piranha plants
ultsppi: https://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/8/8d/PiranhaPlantPotMK8.png/480px-PiranhaPlantPotMK8.png
ultsppi: there is a clear tongue
JackyBC: yes
ultsppi: so if pirahna plant bit the tongue, it would hurt a lot
PkmnQ: hmm seems correct
PkmnQ: but that is just the biting piranha plant
PkmnQ: we have to check the rest
NullAbyss has joined #MineralFish
JackyBC: who
ultsppi: such as https://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/2/22/MPSR_Petey_Piranha.png/215px-MPSR_Petey_Piranha.png (note the tongue)
NullAbyss: I'm from ???????
Orb_Fish: ok
PkmnQ: alright fire piranha plants also have tongues
JackyBC: currently there is super mario discussion
NullAbyss: oh fun
Orb_Fish: I cracked a joke about chain chomps biting their tongues
Orb_Fish: and it escalated into this
PkmnQ: when they spit the fire, you cannot see their tongue or teeth
ultsppi: now we're having intense discussion about the evolutionary advantages of piranha plants
PkmnQ: and ok i know i said poison-spitting and fire-spitting piranha plants are separate earlier but come on i do not have to check both of them
Orb_Fish: if chain chomps photosynthesize, then why is broode's chain chomp yellow?
PkmnQ: not just yellow, golden, reflecting even more
PkmnQ: this is a sign that my hypothesis may be wrong
PkmnQ: also hats
ultsppi: also theres this one: https://www.mariowiki.com/images/7/7e/Chomplet.png (very orange)
PkmnQ: hmm where is this chomplet found
ultsppi: mario sunshine in a mission where you need to drag it to water to cool it down
PkmnQ: observation: there is no grass under the chain chomps, at least in super mario odyssey
Orb_Fish: the reason why piranha plant's teeth aren't visible when they spit is because of the way they shape their lips
Orb_Fish: gtg
PkmnQ: let's see other instances of chain chomp, to see if it fits the grass theory
JackyBC: bye
ultsppi: https://www.mariowiki.com/Incoming_Chomp
ultsppi: these ones can jump so they can fit the grass theory if they travel to grass
PkmnQ: but there is the chain chomp in bob-omb battlefield
PkmnQ: i doubt that they would unchain chain chomp often to let the grass regrow, considering how chain chomp jumps over the hill
PkmnQ: this would be massively inconvenient and i think they would rather let it absorb the grass
PkmnQ: the only theory left is the eye theory from earlier, that they do still photosynthesize but through the eyes
ultsppi: or the mouth
PkmnQ: https://mario.wiki.gallery/images/b/b7/Mk64rainbowroad4.png i don't know the rainbow road lore
PkmnQ: does this rule out photosynthesis entirely? i don't know where rainbow road is located
PkmnQ: if it is sometimes daytime then it is still believable, however if it's all the way in space then we have a problem
ultsppi: they may perodically face towards the sun and photosynthesize through the mouth, but only off-screen
PkmnQ: i think this rules it out entirely https://mario.wiki.gallery/images/0/0b/Chompy.png
ultsppi: also https://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/0/04/MK8DRainbowRoad3DS1.jpg/800px-MK8DRainbowRoad3DS1.jpg?20221121175112
Guest85 has joined
ultsppi: who is this
Guest85 has left
ultsppi: ok
PkmnQ: where does the metal go when they open their mouth
ultsppi: contracts and expands
ultsppi: (the inside of mouth is not metal)
PkmnQ: how do they contract and expand that rapidly? take a look at what happens in super mario odyssey when they get ready to launch at mario
NullAbyss: I think its like how a window slides up and opens, the teeth just rotate into the rest of the sphere
ultsppi: the teeth usually dont go inside
ultsppi: example of chain chomp in motion: https://www.mariowiki.com/images/4/45/ChainchompMarioMaker.gif
NullAbyss: well in that case
NullAbyss: idk man mario probably just doesn't abide by the laws of physics
CST1229: maybe the metal rotates into a part at the back that usually isn't shown in detail
PkmnQ: super mario odyssey is a 3d game
PkmnQ: all angles, just more sphere
ultsppi: maybe the other layer is very thin
ultsppi: like the lower jaw rotates into a thin back part
PkmnQ: it would have to be machined that thin with precise tools, which could support the theory that it is actually robotic and not a living being as you said earlier
CST1229: or what if the parts rotate into each other, instead of a part at the back
CST1229: (with one of the parts being at the top and the other at the bottom)
ultsppi: yeah that was my idea
PkmnQ: wouldn't it still have to be insanely thin to be basically unseen?
ultsppi: maybe not t h a t thin
PkmnQ: hmm in super mario odyssey there are slight scratches and other details that might be able to tell you how the jaw moves
PkmnQ: i am not dedicated enough to do it myself but there is a way to settle it and it is possible
PkmnQ has left

《 ? | aug 9 | ravenclaw | a | shift+down for more signature》
V CLICK THAT TO MAKE GRIFFPATCH FOLLOW YOU V

(+-(▪_▪ :: looks)-+ :: sound)// this is kumquat eater. she eats kumquats.
[/scratchblocks]

LandonHarter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Preforming Iron Fish Bumping Procedures

LandonHarter

Male|15 y/o|English|Rain World, Rhythm Doctor, No Man's Sky|American|Mineral Fish fandom co-founder|Neutral Sociality|#9d0|Chaotic Neutral

LandonHarter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Alright, let's get the discussion going with an icebreaking topic! *broken glass noises*

What is Peach's actual name? “Princess Toadstool” is a name that's been applied to her in earlier games. In some games - namely SM64 - both names have been used. My best Occam's razor-style explanation is that Toadstool is her last name, and Peach is either her first name or a nickname that most people use these days.

LandonHarter

mybearworld
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I always figured it was Peach Toadstool, too.

Signatures are the only place where assets links still work.
LandonHarter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mybearworld wrote:

I always figured it was Peach Toadstool, too.
I figured that it could also be Toadstool Peach, because last names are what almost everyone uses to refer to royalty.

LandonHarter

LandonHarter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LandonHarter

LandonHarter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

So, me & my dad started playing Bowser's Fury, and my viewpoint on the game is . . . neutral. Most of the caveats I have aren't centered around the gameplay, visuals, audio, or anything like that. My caveats are pointed at how multiplayer-unfriendly this game is.
  • The camera only pays attention to Mario and completely ignores Bowser Jr.. This problem is made even worse by the fact that control scemes differ between the two players (however, there's not much they could do about that).
  • To make matters worse, the camera is zoomed in (on Mario, of course!) so much that falling offscreen is effortlessly easy. Not much more I can say on the camera.
  • If you DO fall out of the camera's view, which happens an awful lot, the option to manually bubble back is available, and either kind of bubbling is fast. But that brings us to our next caveat . . .
  • What happened to multiplayer backup? In SM3DW, if a player died or fell, they would just bubble back to the other player. However, if Mario screws up a jump, Bowser Jr. will have no choice but to follow them down. Considering that my dad isn't perfect at this stuff, this is a problem.
  • This is more of a social problem than a gameplay problem, but my dad still has some issues with the visuals. He made multiple remarks about the fact that everything is a cat. On top of that, when my dad touched the first Giga Bell, my dad was so overwhelmed with confusion that he just handed his controller to me. I did reasonably well for my first try.
And since BF doesn't conform to my pseudo-multiplayer playstyle of “operating the tailgun”, I'm currently starting my own save file.

LandonHarter

LandonHarter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

. . . and I just 100%ed Bowser's Fury.

LandonHarter

excelguru
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mini Spek

whiplash6699
Scratcher
1000+ posts

My favorite enemy:

Autistic male who surfs the forums and talks about the weirdest and most obscure stuff he can think of. HUGE Mario fan.

LandonHarter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

whiplash6699 wrote:

My favorite enemy:
image snip
. . . I see.

LandonHarter

-gge
Scratcher
1000+ posts

whiplash6699 wrote:

My favorite enemy:

if you didnt give the link i would have spent several minutes trying to find what enemy this was

《 ? | aug 9 | ravenclaw | a | shift+down for more signature》
V CLICK THAT TO MAKE GRIFFPATCH FOLLOW YOU V

(+-(▪_▪ :: looks)-+ :: sound)// this is kumquat eater. she eats kumquats.
[/scratchblocks]

whiplash6699
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-gge wrote:

whiplash6699 wrote:

My favorite enemy:

if you didnt give the link i would have spent several minutes trying to find what enemy this was
Glad I could save you a few minutes

Autistic male who surfs the forums and talks about the weirdest and most obscure stuff he can think of. HUGE Mario fan.

LandonHarter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

“Do not call us useless for the simple reason that we are unable to influence On-Off Blocks. We are contenders for the title of the most athletic creatures in the entire world. We are persistence athletes, capable of maintaining a jogging speed for hours on end. We are also masters of balance, as we demonstrate every day in our natural environment, as well as locations that we have immigrated to, such as Bowser Land's volcanic regions, a mechanical island constructed entirely of baked goods & even the lovely Lake Lapcat, where our kin have taken up residence in a local ice rink. In conclusion, it can be said that our species is athletic, widespread & far from useless. Kindly consider retracting your remark.”

CHALLENGE: guess what creature would say this. All the clues are present.

LandonHarter

LandonHarter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump. I'm sure you have something to talk about . . .

LandonHarter

Marc92020
Scratcher
1000+ posts

super mario bros wonder

Marc92020
i do stuff

image updates whenever i check