Discuss Scratch

MunchJrGames
Scratcher
500+ posts

THE Sonic Projects Thread!

hahasamian wrote:

MunchJrGames wrote:

I think the Wall Jump is klunky, besides, there's not many sections of Mania (to my knowledge) that have parallel walls. I'm not doubting Amy's hammer abilities, i'm just trying to brainstorm how Amy would work in a faster paced game, Slamming a Badnik with a hammer seems more complicated than just jumping into it.
Granted.
But that's what makes Amy fun, you see! You have to think differently, or perhaps it's simply that you actually have to think!
She doesn't need to be as easy as all the other characters. As long as you can beat the level, she's doing her job!

Eh, it's just too much trouble for a casual player like me. Classic Sonic Games were intended to be played with one button in mind, and frankly, i think some of Amy's moves are kinda useless (Especially the pounce)

Last edited by MunchJrGames (Aug. 7, 2018 21:23:22)

The creator of all popular things you've never heard of before like remote-control flying pizzas (trademark MunchJrGames)
hahasamian
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MunchJrGames wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

MunchJrGames wrote:

I think the Wall Jump is klunky, besides, there's not many sections of Mania (to my knowledge) that have parallel walls. I'm not doubting Amy's hammer abilities, i'm just trying to brainstorm how Amy would work in a faster paced game, Slamming a Badnik with a hammer seems more complicated than just jumping into it.
Granted.
But that's what makes Amy fun, you see! You have to think differently, or perhaps it's simply that you actually have to think!
She doesn't need to be as easy as all the other characters. As long as you can beat the level, she's doing her job!

Eh, it's just too much trouble for a casual player like me. Classic Sonic Games were intended to be played with one button in mind, and frankly, i think some of Amy's moves are kinda useless (Especially the pounce)
It has its uses. The Pounce (if by that you mean the Spin Dash's replacement) is actually a good choice in my opinion, as giving Amy too much speed at once could send her out of control and she'd die more easily. As for the Slide (which is said move combined with a B-button press in the Advance games) is a nice cancel attack, and still has its uses in occasional situations.

You know why they call ‘em “speed bumps”?
It’s because you're supposed to go super fast so when ya hit it, ya go flying through the air!

-Totally Sonic

Hey there. I'm Hahasamian! I make Sonic game projects! I'm 18, so I'm growing out of growing out of Scratch, but I do wanna do something cool here first. Work's been a bit slow lately, but I try to put something good out every now-and-again!

You can check out all my existing projects by heading to my profile (here).
MunchJrGames
Scratcher
500+ posts

hahasamian wrote:

It has its uses. The Pounce (if by that you mean the Spin Dash's replacement) is actually a good choice in my opinion, as giving Amy too much speed at once could send her out of control and she'd die more easily. As for the Slide (which is said move combined with a B-button press in the Advance games) is a nice cancel attack, and still has its uses in occasional situations.

The Pounce throws me off in most cases where i attempt a Spindash over, say, a precarious pit or into an enemy, and end up completely screwing myself over. If Amy has to have the Peel-Out, i suggest having it like Ultimate Flash Sonic, where it is executed the exact same way as a spindash, except it only changes for Amy

Last edited by MunchJrGames (Aug. 7, 2018 22:36:25)

The creator of all popular things you've never heard of before like remote-control flying pizzas (trademark MunchJrGames)
d_and_g
Scratcher
100+ posts

MunchJrGames wrote:

The Pounce throws me off in most cases where i attempt a Spindash over, say, a precarious pit or into an enemy, and end up completely screwing myself over. If Amy has to have the Peel-Out, i suggest having it like Ultimate Flash Sonic, where it is executed the exact same way as a spindash, except it only changes for Amy
Dude, i love ultimate flash sonic!

when green flag clicked
if <I think of something> then

it's probably been done before

end
Ok, but unironically, check this out!
MunchJrGames
Scratcher
500+ posts

d_and_g wrote:

Cheeh buddy, that game was my childhood

d_and_g
Scratcher
100+ posts

MunchJrGames wrote:

d_and_g wrote:

Same! I still play it to this day, example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAZauTjwkTw

when green flag clicked

end
Danny_Shellstar
Scratcher
100+ posts

MunchJrGames wrote:

Danny_Shellstar wrote:

sonicfan4566 wrote:

MunchJrGames wrote:

sonicfan4566 wrote:

what about encore mode

What ABOUT Encore Mode?
well encore mode has some………. wall jumping?
well do that in 0.5 a presses

An a press is an a press, it can't be half
well munch “jr” games, hear me out

MunchJrGames
Scratcher
500+ posts

Danny_Shellstar wrote:

MunchJrGames wrote:

Danny_Shellstar wrote:

But first we need to talk about parallel universes

hahasamian
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MunchJrGames wrote:

Danny_Shellstar wrote:

MunchJrGames wrote:

Danny_Shellstar wrote:

Which we definitely don't have the time for, unless we plan on putting Portal physics into GSUE.
And don't ask me if I'm going to do that.

It’s because you're supposed to go super fast so when ya hit it, ya go flying through the air!

-Totally Sonic

Hey there. I'm Hahasamian! I make Sonic game projects! I'm 18, so I'm growing out of growing out of Scratch, but I do wanna do something cool here first. Work's been a bit slow lately, but I try to put something good out every now-and-again!

Danny_Shellstar
Scratcher
100+ posts

We did a pannenkoek2012 reference! wrote:

yeah… anyways… we need to work on endless mode for rush chronicles. it will have set level chunks that will go together perfectly!!!! soo… lets get back to the games.

hahasamian
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MunchJrGames wrote:

d_and_g wrote:

MunchJrGames wrote:

I mean, looking back, the game was * (when compared with Sonic Advance 2 or Sonic Advance 1), but it did manage to hook me onto the series… somehow. Shortly after, I played the actual Sonic Advance on Vizzed Retro Game Room, and it seemed a thousand times better.
Anyway…
Perhaps with MoveCards you could customize it to your heart's content. Personally, I think it's mostly situational whether the Leap, as I prefer to call it, is worth anything. Some games might be more fast-paced, so the Peel-Out would be a preferable move for that input. On the other hand, you have games like Sonic 1 where the Spin Dash is honestly a death trap. There, the Leap is just right, not providing too much speed but still giving you some.
Honestly though, you've just gotta know who you're playing as to really get it right. If you're thinking “Sonic” while playing as Amy, you're dead meat. But if you're thinking “Amy”… you could beat everyone else's record for Neo Green Hill Act 2!
I mean, not every other stage, but hey, one's better than nothing, right?

-Totally Sonic

MunchJrGames
Scratcher
500+ posts

hahasamian wrote:

MunchJrGames wrote:

Danny_Shellstar wrote:

MunchJrGames wrote:

Danny_Shellstar wrote:

Which we definitely don't have the time for, unless we plan on putting Portal physics into GSUE.

That whole conversation was a reference to the infamous Mario 64 Speedrun

d_and_g
Scratcher
100+ posts

hahasamian wrote:

MunchJrGames wrote:

Danny_Shellstar wrote:

MunchJrGames wrote:

Danny_Shellstar wrote:

Sounds cool, but i dunno how that's possible

when green flag clicked

end
MunchJrGames
Scratcher
500+ posts

hahasamian wrote:

I mean, looking back, the game was * (when compared with Sonic Advance 2 or Sonic Advance 1), but it did manage to hook me onto the series… somehow. Shortly after, I played the actual Sonic Advance on Vizzed Retro Game Room, and it seemed a thousand times better.
Anyway…
Perhaps with MoveCards you could customize it to your heart's content. Personally, I think it's mostly situational whether the Leap, as I prefer to call it, is worth anything. Some games might be more fast-paced, so the Peel-Out would be a preferable move for that input. On the other hand, you have games like Sonic 1 where the Spin Dash is honestly a death trap. There, the Leap is just right, not providing too much speed but still giving you some.
Honestly though, you've just gotta know who you're playing as to really get it right. If you're thinking “Sonic” while playing as Amy, you're dead meat. But if you're thinking “Amy”… you could beat everyone else's record for Neo Green Hill Act 2!

Don't knock on Ultimate Flash Sonic m8. that's like me dissing your precious Freedom Planet. It played a very important part in my childhood (Especially since i didn't have a console at the time)

How is the Spindash a Death Trap in Sonic 1? It makes the game much easier and more intuitive. It saved me more times than it killed me. As for the deaths. honestly, who cares? At least for me, i find it super simple to find lives in Sonic 1. (But Sonic 2 is better for that kinda thing.)

Customizing a moveset is the exact same reason i was turned off by Mighty Gunvolt Burst, it was poorly explained, and frankly finicky to handle, but your idea sounds a whole lot better.

I never think about other characters when i'm playing, i usually just try and do the best i can with my abilities.

Still, i can't see why you would want to customize a player's play-style when you can choose from a set of six/four

hahasamian
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MunchJrGames wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

Anyway…

Don't knock on Ultimate Flash Sonic m8. that's like me dissing your precious Freedom Planet. It played a very important part in my childhood (Especially since i didn't have a console at the time)
I didn't know such a harmless word as * gets bleeped out here on Scratch…
Or maybe that was a typing error? I dunno…
EDIT: Nope, not a typing error… What? Why…?
Anyway, comparing an amateur Flash game to Freedom Planet is hardly what I'd call a good idea. UFS has several issues with it, you must admit. Freedom Planet doesn't have to play just like Sonic because, well, it isn't Sonic. Even then, in FP the spinning doesn't act completely counter to how it does in the actual games (in UFS it's just a speed booster that also makes you invincible. Bad idea for design). I've had several issues I can recall with the game, not to mention that Cheese… does nothing, as I remember, and Knuckles can't glide. Apart from flying, every character is really just a skin of Sonic. Compare this to FP, in which every character plays differently with a completely new moveset, the soundtrack is completely original along with the characters and plot (well… that is, it doesn't clone Sonic's plot), the stages don't glitch out on you… Yeah. I think we can see which is the better product.
Now UFS is completely free and, as I said, introduced me to Sonic, so I'll give it that. And while the physics aren't perfect… well, it is more-or-less a proper Sonic game on Flash, so… points for that. Not to mention it had Shadow playable, so… cool.

Last edited by hahasamian (Aug. 9, 2018 19:20:11)

-Totally Sonic

d_and_g
Scratcher
100+ posts

MunchJrGames wrote:

Still, i can't see why you would want to customize a player's play-style when you can choose from a set of six/four
So, you basically mean Encore Mode from Mania Plus or are you talking about choosing from a set of six/four moves?
Honestly, the last one makes more sense.

Last edited by d_and_g (Aug. 9, 2018 19:27:56)

when green flag clicked

end
sonicfan4566
New to Scratch
25 posts

hahasamian wrote:

MunchJrGames wrote:

Danny_Shellstar wrote:

MunchJrGames wrote:

Danny_Shellstar wrote:

should t be to hard u have a list that tell a portal what to do the just make sonic go out of the portal

if <touching [ sonic] ?> then
<[ your list] contains [portal p1] ?>
go to x: (x of portal 1) y: ( portaal p1)
end

that is just a demo

Last edited by sonicfan4566 (Aug. 9, 2018 20:58:25)

MunchJrGames
Scratcher
500+ posts

d_and_g wrote:

MunchJrGames wrote:

So, you basically mean Encore Mode from Mania Plus or are you talking about choosing from a set of six/four moves?
Honestly, the last one makes more sense.

Six Characters with Six different movesets

MunchJrGames
Scratcher
500+ posts

hahasamian wrote:

I didn't know such a harmless word as * gets bleeped out here on Scratch…
Or maybe that was a typing error? I dunno…
EDIT: Nope, not a typing error… What? Why…?
Anyway, comparing an amateur Flash game to Freedom Planet is hardly what I'd call a good idea. UFS has several issues with it, you must admit. Freedom Planet doesn't have to play just like Sonic because, well, it isn't Sonic. Even then, in FP the spinning doesn't act completely counter to how it does in the actual games (in UFS it's just a speed booster that also makes you invincible. Bad idea for design). I've had several issues I can recall with the game, not to mention that Cheese… does nothing, as I remember, and Knuckles can't glide. Apart from flying, every character is really just a skin of Sonic. Compare this to FP, in which every character plays differently with a completely new moveset, the soundtrack is completely original along with the characters and plot (well… that is, it doesn't clone Sonic's plot), the stages don't glitch out on you… Yeah. I think we can see which is the better product.
Now UFS is completely free and, as I said, introduced me to Sonic, so I'll give it that. And while the physics aren't perfect… well, it is more-or-less a proper Sonic game on Flash, so… points for that. Not to mention it had Shadow playable, so… cool.

It doesn't need to be the same quality, just have a similar impact. Freedom Planet has had a similar effect on you as Ultimate Flash Sonic did for me. I'm not comparing quality here. Also, i never noticed any flaws with UFS, mainly because that was my first Sonic game.

hahasamian
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MunchJrGames wrote:

It doesn't need to be the same quality, just have a similar impact. Freedom Planet has had a similar effect on you as Ultimate Flash Sonic did for me. I'm not comparing quality here. Also, i never noticed any flaws with UFS, mainly because that was my first Sonic game.
Granted.
But, uh… Freedom Planet didn't introduce me to Sonic, just… gave me an even better Sonic game.
Anyway, moving on…

-Totally Sonic