Discuss Scratch

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

Change the way the "What the community is loving/remixing" section works.

B U M P

ideapad-320
Scratcher
1000+ posts

support

This is my siggy.
Can't wait for FRC water game!
ScratchDiogoh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ideapad-320 wrote:

support
Why do you support?

+1700 Bad Posts
furrypig
Scratcher
100+ posts

Maybe logarithmic instead of linear?
For example, if it's linear, somebody with 1 follower and 1 love would have an equal chance of getting on topped loved as griffpatch getting over 80000 loves. That's unfair.
Also, you would have to rename the section because it's no longer the top loved projects.
calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

furrypig wrote:

For example, if it's linear, somebody with 1 follower and 1 love would have an equal chance of getting on topped loved as griffpatch getting over 80000 loves. That's unfair.
Maybe

furrypig wrote:

Also, you would have to rename the section because it's no longer the top loved projects.
I don't think the section would have to be remade the section, because it only kind of implies that it's the most loved projects of the last week.

furrypig
Scratcher
100+ posts

calulord wrote:

furrypig wrote:

I don't think the section would have to be remade the section, because it only kind of implies that it's the most loved projects of the last week.
The reason why I said it should be renamed is because it's no longer the most loved projects of the last week. Instead, it's the most loved projects depending on followers.
calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

Cub56
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Xavuz wrote:

The people with more followers have earned their followers and have a right to get their hard earned loves. If the the person with less followers keeps making quality projects they will get more followers and have chance. They just need to be patient. I do not think they should change the way it works.
Not necessarily. The search engine is rigged, for lack of a better word, to prioritise the more popular projects. This means a new quality project could easily not get any recognition, as a new project starts with 1 view and will not show up at the top of the search results.

Check out Life Raft Survival, my new advanced sandbox survival game with crafting, building, transportation, weather events, tropical storms, and more!

In the game you're stranded at sea after a mysterious crash and must survive in an unforgiving tropical island environment collecting resources and crafting, in an attempt to finally be rescued.

Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cub56 wrote:

Xavuz wrote:

The people with more followers have earned their followers and have a right to get their hard earned loves. If the the person with less followers keeps making quality projects they will get more followers and have chance. They just need to be patient. I do not think they should change the way it works.
Not necessarily. The search engine is rigged, for lack of a better word, to prioritise the more popular projects. This means a new quality project could easily not get any recognition, as a new project starts with 1 view and will not show up at the top of the search results.
If new projects were shown at the top of search results, the quality projects would be mixed with less deserving projects, and they still won't get the deserved recognition. Even worse, a user looking for a project they've seen before would have a harder time finding that project again and might end up resorting to a different search engine that won't prioritise new projects and lose faith in the Scratch search engine.

The search feature is meant to find what the user is looking for, not advertise new projects.

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

Bump

TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

calulord wrote:

furrypig wrote:

Maybe

furrypig wrote:

It should as it is no longer top loved but instead a top loved divided by follower.

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

turtleskb24
Scratcher
22 posts

TopicBumper
New to Scratch
100+ posts

Bump.
the2000
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Dividing by the number of followers would be ridiculously skewed. Someone with 1 follower would have twice the power of someone with 2. Maybe if you did it like this:
[# of social interaction] / (followers * [really small number between 0 and 1])
…but I still fear it would be very skewed.

Ihatr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Honestly, this just seems useless. Quality isn't the focus of this section, it's just meant to, show, what the community is loving. I can't see this being implemented to be honest.

this is a link
TopicBumper
New to Scratch
100+ posts

the2000 wrote:

Dividing by the number of followers would be ridiculously skewed. Someone with 1 follower would have twice the power of someone with 2. Maybe if you did it like this:
[# of social interaction] / (followers * [really small number between 0 and 1])
…but I still fear it would be very skewed.
You could use a logarithmic function instead of a linear one, as it will use simple math* to be more fair.

*It's pretty much raising the number to some power.