Discuss Scratch

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

Change the way the "What the community is loving/remixing" section works.

radishboy wrote:

No support. It would just be full of “low quality” projects
How?

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

calulord wrote:

BUMP

calulord wrote:

BUMP

calulord wrote:

bump

Last edited by calulord (May 6, 2018 13:13:35)

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

FloatingMuffins
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Unfair. What if you have a ton of followers who aren't active anymore. You would then receive less loves.

Hi, I'm FloatingMuffins!
You can call me Muffins!
Age 17 | Irish | Traditional Catholic | Conservative

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

-ColorMaster-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

calulord wrote:

Currently the “What the community is loving” section works by showing the twenty projects that have been loved the most in the past week. The “What the community is remixing” works the same way but instant the past week it's the past ten days and instead of loves, remixes.

But there is a problem here, which is illustrated by this story: let's say that two scratchers, one with 100 followers and the other with 200 followers both share a project of the same (objective) quality. The scratcher's with 100 followers gets 25 loves on his project in the first week they shared the project, but the scratcher with 200 followers gets 50 loves within the week they shared the project. Even though both scratchers have made equally good projects, the one with 200 followers get mores loves, due to having more followers, and thus a better chance at get in the “What the community is loving” section. This illustrates the problem that people with more followers (and just popularity in general) can get better chances at getting one the “What the community is loving/remixing” section for reason other than the quality of their projects.

So I suggest that the “What the community is loving/remixing” section works by show the twenty projects with the most loves/remixes in the past week/ten days divided by how many followers they have.

EDIT: If someone has 0 followers then they would count as someone with 1.
Not exactly how followers work there buddy, I have 470+ and have had only one front page (not saying that I am deserving of one, just what has happened)

Just a baseball nerd with an absurdist sense of humor.

creator of more than 7 posts, each one stupider than the one before

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

-ColorMaster- wrote:

calulord wrote:

-snip-
Not exactly how followers work there buddy, I have 470+ and have had only one front page (not saying that I am deserving of one, just what has happened)
Strawman fallacy. I never said that having lot a followers practically guarantee a place on the front page. I just says that how many followers (and popularity in general) can give someone disproportionate chances of getting front paged to how much that person should be front paged.

Last edited by calulord (May 16, 2018 13:54:32)

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

Last edited by calulord (May 30, 2018 12:45:07)

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump kilroy was here.

Last edited by calulord (May 30, 2018 12:44:35)

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

BUMP

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

calulord wrote:

bump

calulord wrote:

bump kilroy was here.

calulord wrote:

BUMP

Mr_PenguinAlex
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-ShadowOfTheFuture- wrote:

The point of the What the Community is Loving/Remixing rows are to show which projects have been getting the most loves/remixes. Followers are not mentioned in that description.

Besides, many people don't get followers because of their projects - on my old account, I had 100+ followers and an average of 2-3 loves per project. The only reason I even got any of those followers was because of a massive AE studio I started (don't ask). The point is, a higher follower count doesn't necessarily equate to more loves on projects. Many people do F4F and have 100s of followers who never look at their projects. And even if a user's followers all followed them because they liked the user's projects, the user still might not be receiving many loves, because their followers might've gone inactive.

So to sum up my point, no support.
^ That is why I don't support.

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

The point of the What the Community is Loving/Remixing rows are to show which projects have been getting the most loves/remixes. Followers are not mentioned in that description.

Besides, many people don't get followers because of their projects - on my old account, I had 100+ followers and an average of 2-3 loves per project. The only reason I even got any of those followers was because of a massive AE studio I started (don't ask). The point is, a higher follower count doesn't necessarily equate to more loves on projects. Many people do F4F and have 100s of followers who never look at their projects. And even if a user's followers all followed them because they liked the user's projects, the user still might not be receiving many loves, because their followers might've gone inactive.

^ That is why I don't support.
I already refuted that. \/

calulord wrote:

Just because something is the point doesn’t mean that the point is good or that the point would be better as something else.

I never said that followers equate to more loves and remixes. I’m just saying that more followers (and just popularity in general) can give certain users a better or worst chance at getting into that section for reasons other than the quality of their projects.

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

If somebody wants to make a suggestion about dividing loves and remixes by views, go ahead.

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support. Often users with more followers make more high-quality projects which often deserve to be top-loved or top-remixed.
Plus, more high-quality projects on the front page can lead to users getting inspiration, especially since the projects top-loved/top-remixed sections can sometimes be different than those that are featured. Often, animators/artists looking for animation memes or coloring contests might want to check top loved/remixed sections, as those sorts of projects are often there and rarely get featured.
Also, as -ShadowOfTheFuture- pointed out, users don't always get lots of followers because of their projects. My projects usually get about 2-5 loves and favorites each, but I have 792 followers currently (I don't know why, but I'm thinking it's for a few reasons; when I was newer to Scratch I used to comment on a lot of projects; I have multiple projects so maybe some of my followers just found some of them and followed me; I'm active on the forums so maybe someone just found me there; maybe some other reasons idk), so this could be unfair to users who aren't as well-known despite having a lot of followers (such as me).
The top loved/remixed sections are fine as they are. While I'm all for an option to let less-known users get popular, I don't think this is exactly what we need.

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

LionHeart70 wrote:

No support. Often users with more followers make more high-quality projects which often deserve to be top-loved or top-remixed.
I already said this a 10 to the power of a trillion times, If someone makes high-quality projects and has a lot of followers, then the would still have a large loves to follower ratio because of there large follower count AND the quality of there projects.

LionHeart70 wrote:

Plus, more high-quality projects on the front page can lead to users getting inspiration, especially since the projects top-loved/top-remixed sections can sometimes be different than those that are featured. Often, animators/artists looking for animation memes or coloring contests might want to check top loved/remixed sections, as those sorts of projects are often there and rarely get featured.
This point is dependent your last, which I refuted.

LionHeart70 wrote:

Also, as -ShadowOfTheFuture- pointed out, users don't always get lots of followers because of their projects. My projects usually get about 2-5 loves and favorites each, but I have 792 followers currently (I don't know why, but I'm thinking it's for a few reasons; when I was newer to Scratch I used to comment on a lot of projects; I have multiple projects so maybe some of my followers just found some of them and followed me; I'm active on the forums so maybe someone just found me there; maybe some other reasons idk), so this could be unfair to users who aren't as well-known despite having a lot of followers (such as me).
Again I already said this 10 to the power of a trillion times, if you have little loves despite having a large amount of followers, then that's probably because you haven't really made any serious projects.

LionHeart70 wrote:

The top loved/remixed sections are fine as they are. While I'm all for an option to let less-known users get popular, I don't think this is exactly what we need.
Yet again I already said way the current system isn't fine 10 to the power of a trillion times, I explained why in the first post on this topic.

Last edited by calulord (June 14, 2018 15:31:28)

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump