Discuss Scratch

• Discussion Forums
  • » Suggestions
  • » [PLEASE DO NOT PROTEST THE PURPLE] An option in account settings to change the site's theme and navigation bar colour [RSS Feed]
banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

[PLEASE DO NOT PROTEST THE PURPLE] An option in account settings to change the site's theme and navigation bar colour

mumu245 wrote:

(#1682)

banana439monkey wrote:

(#1681)

jackson49 wrote:

(#1680)

sonic__fan wrote:

alphabetlorefan2003 wrote:

BionicBoy554 wrote:

I think this is a win-win for everyone, the people who have trouble seeing can change the colors to see better for themselves, while the people who want scratch to stay blue can revert it to that color
It will not be a win-win if the default color is still purple
Why? It's a win-win because the people who like the purple have it, and the people who don't like the purple can change it to whatever they want.
That’s entirely true. Although this solution may not be perfect, it’s better than the status quo.

I’m starting to doubt that this suggestion has any real chance of getting implemented, though. If it was going to happen, it would have happened by now. Plus, Scratch Team engineers are typically reluctant to add niche features like this, especially if they require a lot of work to implement (which would likely be the case with this suggestion).

Who knows, though. It’s certainly still worth discussing.
1. is this really niche? i think most people, if not everyone, has supported the suggestion or contributed to it in some constructive way. besides, this topic was stickied in june/july last year
2. development takes time. scratch on its own is incredibly unstable. right now i don't think fpc, featured studios or featured projects work on the front page. the forums seem to fail more often than i hear my ex create another downfall for herself. the scratch team seems to be operating on a skeleton crew and funding is tight, especially in this economy
3. not gonna lie it's funny how we defaulted to this being the solution to a community caused problem, even though this solution was initially “a nice touch” that was suggested all the way back in 2018 lol

Banana
Also, this may require adding database columns, which requires a migration. That's going to be hard – it's hard to migrate a 10-user app, what about an app with 130k users?! That being said, I still support.
…adding a column isn't too hard?
what kind of infrastructure are we looking at?
if we're looking at mysql, i've done that kind of thing before, it's not that hard to pull off lol
if we're looking at something that's non-relational, no one even needs to care about columns!

Banana

Banana
——————————————————————————–

Very inactive user who has now become a maker.
If you reply to this post it would be greatly appreciated if you could comment the link to your post on my profile!!!

julmik6478
Scratcher
500+ posts

[PLEASE DO NOT PROTEST THE PURPLE] An option in account settings to change the site's theme and navigation bar colour

Support
I use addons and it can be cool

Support the suggestion HERE by adding this button to your signature

My acounts in some websites:
youtube
yewtube
planet minecraft
mcreator
starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jackson49 wrote:

sonic__fan wrote:

BionicBoy554 wrote:

I think this is a win-win for everyone, the people who have trouble seeing can change the colors to see better for themselves, while the people who want scratch to stay blue can revert it to that color
Why? It's a win-win because the people who like the purple have it, and the people who don't like the purple can change it to whatever they want.
That’s entirely true. Although this solution may not be perfect, it’s better than the status quo.

I’m starting to doubt that this suggestion has any real chance of getting implemented, though. If it was going to happen, it would have happened by now. Plus, Scratch Team engineers are typically reluctant to add niche features like this, especially if they require a lot of work to implement (which would likely be the case with this suggestion).

Suggestions never get added
That's the hard truth — unless it's something that doesn't require a new feature.
This would probably never get added
Neither would USB controller blocks
Or likes on comments

Now I'm rethinking my life decision to be active on the suggestions forum /j

✮˚. ᵎᵎ ?彡⋆。˚ starlight !! * ੈ✩‧₊˚ ✧˖° female !! ⋆。°✩ they.them !!‧˚₊ muslim !!✶ .ᐟ
︶꒦꒷order at star's cafe! served w/ love꒷꒦︶
star's cafe is a store to order banners, pfps, and more!
(rounded) 1000th post | (actual) 1000th post | first post
~ pakistani muslim ~ ~ born in arabia ~ palestine supporter! ~
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

starlightsparker wrote:

(#1685)

jackson49 wrote:

sonic__fan wrote:

BionicBoy554 wrote:

That's the hard truth — unless it's something that doesn't require a new feature.
Or likes on comments

not with that attitude

Banana

Banana

If you reply to this post it would be greatly appreciated if you could comment the link to your post on my profile!!!

starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

banana439monkey wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

Or likes on comments

not with that attitude

Banana
But name one suggestion that was a new feature that got added between 2021-2024
Exactly.

✮˚. ᵎᵎ ?彡⋆。˚ starlight !! * ੈ✩‧₊˚ ✧˖° female !! ⋆。°✩ they.them !!‧˚₊ muslim !!✶ .ᐟ
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

starlightsparker wrote:

(#1687)

banana439monkey wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

Or likes on comments

not with that attitude

Banana
Exactly.
…there exists adding it yourself?

Banana

Last edited by banana439monkey (May 11, 2024 16:59:59)

Banana

starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

banana439monkey wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

(#1687)

banana439monkey wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

Or likes on comments

not with that attitude

Banana
Exactly.

Banana
After submitting it to scratch lab, it’s still up to scratch whether to add it to the site or not.

banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

starlightsparker wrote:

(#1689)

banana439monkey wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

(#1687)

banana439monkey wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

Or likes on comments

not with that attitude

Banana
Exactly.

Banana
After submitting it to scratch lab, it’s still up to scratch whether to add it to the site or not.
i didn't even think that was possible, i was more thinking about creating a pr lol

Banana

Banana

ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

starlightsparker wrote:

banana439monkey wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

Exactly.

Banana
You can submit to Scratch Lab?? Also, because this is a site-wide theme feature, and because Scratch Lab is only for new editor features, it probably wouldn't be easy to preview it there

banana439monkey wrote:

i didn't even think that was possible, i was more thinking about creating a pr lol
Scratch's contributing policy makes it hard to submit anything of higher impact than bug fixes or development improvements
alphabetlorefan2003
Scratcher
100+ posts

ajskateboarder wrote:

Scratch's contributing policy makes it hard to submit anything of higher impact than bug fixes or development improvements
Anyways, Scratch must support webp files or they will become useless (and the blue must be the default color of scratch and the purple must be optional)

Hi! My name is alphabetlorefan2003 or ALF2003 for short!
I have an OC, named Й and it's like the letter from RALR but it has only 1 eye and the mouth has 2 tendrils.
My favorite color is red and my second favorite color is blue as you can see in the text.

BLOCK ARMY (Created in March 27 2024):
((0) + (0) + (0) + (0) :: operators) // This is Zero Two, an upgraded version of Zero with his skills to protect from evil kumquats but can also crush evil kumquats with his Gullible on the ceiling skill where he tells the kumquats there is the word "Gullible" on the ceiling and then the kumquats gets crushed by Zero Two

define Bumper
if <(current [hour v]) > [23]> then {
set [blur and bump v] effect to (100) :: cap
stop [the inactivity v]
} :: cap :: control

Bumper ::cap // This is Bumper, She bumps my topics when necessary. She also have some skills at fighting since Zero and Zero Two taught her.

UwU :: hat // This is Gullibleyee, He helps me doing Scratch Projects

when green flag clicked :: cap // This is Cap Green Flag, he is Zero Two's assistant because he starts a green flag at the end of a script which would make the evil kumquats crumble because the script is repeated over and over again.

when [wasd v] key pressed :: stack // This is Stack WASD, he is Cap Green Flag's assistant

when green flag clicked
say [I am very confused about Snap!] for (2) secs
visit [https://snapwiki.miraheze.org/] :: sensing
for each ((item :: variables) :: list) in (list [blocks] [features] [and others] :: list) {
think [hmm...] for (2) secs
say (join [I now know about] (item :: variables) [.] :: operators)
wait (0.5) secs
} :: list
say [That clears some things up.] for (2) secs :: cap
Last edited by kaj (Tomorrow 00:00:00)
alphabetlorefan2003
Scratcher
100+ posts

ajskateboarder wrote:

Anyways, Scratch must support webp files or they will become useless (and the blue must be the default color of scratch and the purple must be optional)
And Scratch must also be transparent when they make significant changes

I have an OC, named Й and it's like the letter from RALR but it has only 1 eye and the mouth has 2 tendrils.
My favorite color is red and my second favorite color is blue as you can see in the text.

((0) + (0) + (0) + (0) :: operators) // This is Zero Two, an upgraded version of Zero with his skills to protect from evil kumquats but can also crush evil kumquats with his Gullible on the ceiling skill where he tells the kumquats there is the word "Gullible" on the ceiling and then the kumquats gets crushed by Zero Two

define Bumper
stop [the inactivity v]

Bumper ::cap // This is Bumper, She bumps my topics when necessary. She also have some skills at fighting since Zero and Zero Two taught her.

when green flag clicked :: cap // This is Cap Green Flag, he is Zero Two's assistant because he starts a green flag at the end of a script which would make the evil kumquats crumble because the script is repeated over and over again.

when [wasd v] key pressed :: stack // This is Stack WASD, he is Cap Green Flag's assistant

when green flag clicked
for each ((item :: variables) :: list) in (list [blocks] [features] [and others] :: list) {
wait (0.5) secs
starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ajskateboarder wrote:

And Scratch must also be transparent when they make significant changes
What are yall talking about??

WallydogChoppychop
Scratcher
500+ posts

ajskateboarder wrote:

I think you've gone a bit off track.
No the deafult should be purple for color blind people.

Haha baby steps
500th Post
Kumquats are tasty
I started scratch in 2.0
Is that a rare thing?
SOME ONE TELL ME
(Removed by moderator - Please don't show disturbing images of kumquats)

I'm asleep like all the time…
alphabetlorefan2003
Scratcher
100+ posts

Alright, so if the problem can't be solved, then let's do this: If you are logged out, the blue is the default color, and when creating a new account, it will ask “Are you colorblind or not?” And if you select No, the blue is the default color and if you select yes, the purple is the default color and all existing accounts will have blue by default and you can select the defaults later in the settings which can be accessed when logged in or out

define Bumper
stop [the inactivity v]

when green flag clicked
wait (0.5) secs
banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

(#1696)
Alright, so if the problem can't be solved, then let's do this: If you are logged out, the blue is the default color, and when creating a new account, it will ask “Are you colorblind or not?” And if you select No, the blue is the default color and if you select yes, the purple is the default color and all existing accounts will have blue by default and you can select the defaults later in the settings which can be accessed when logged in or out
…there is no problem, the default colour remains purple.

Banana

Banana

starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

banana439monkey wrote:

(#1696)

Banana
Yeah. Like, just change it to blue if that’s what you prefer

alphabetlorefan2003
Scratcher
100+ posts

banana439monkey wrote:

(#1696)

Banana
stop making the default color purple, If you are logged out, the blue is the default color, and when creating a new account, it will ask “Are you colorblind or not?” And if you select No, the blue is the default color and if you select yes, the purple is the default color and all existing accounts will have blue by default and you can select the defaults later in the settings which can be accessed when logged in or out. This is one of the only ways to make the Scratch Dark Age end

define Bumper
stop [the inactivity v]

when green flag clicked
wait (0.5) secs
WallydogChoppychop
Scratcher
500+ posts

banana439monkey wrote:

(#1696)

Banana
stop making the default color purple, If you are logged out, the blue is the default color, and when creating a new account, it will ask “Are you colorblind or not?” And if you select No, the blue is the default color and if you select yes, the purple is the default color and all existing accounts will have blue by default and you can select the defaults later in the settings which can be accessed when logged in or out. This is one of the only ways to make the Scratch Dark Age end
Ahemm… What about all the people who are color-blind and don't have an account?
Is your response just going to be: To bad To sad?

Haha baby steps
500th Post
Kumquats are tasty
I started scratch in 2.0
Is that a rare thing?
SOME ONE TELL ME
(Removed by moderator - Please don't show disturbing images of kumquats)

I'm asleep like all the time…
Fluffygamer_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

banana439monkey wrote:

(#1696)

Banana
You really think this will stop your “scratch dark age” ?

BREAKING NEWS
The evil kumquats have rebelled and now they don't just eat signatures.

NOW THEY EAT YOUR «MY STUFF» PAGE AND OTHER 2.0 UI PAGES !
Credit to @jmdzti_0-0

BLOCKS ARMY :
((0) - (0)) //  This is Zero. He protects my signature from evil kumquats

------(:-:)------ :: pen //  This is Bumpa. She bumps my topics when necessary. She also have a few skills at fighting since Zero taught her.

(O(w :: variables)O :: sensing) // This is Dogee. He helps me doing projects

('-' :: list) // This is Little. She verify that evil kumquats aren't coming.

° ° :: #0055ff //  This is 2S. He is the best animator I never seen on scratch. His account is Scratcheurscratch (https://scratch.mit.edu/users/Scratcheurscratch)

when green flag clicked :: cap //  This is Soja. I don't know if it's a boy or a girl but who cares ? Soja often draw thumbnails for my projects.
alphabetlorefan2003
Scratcher
100+ posts

WallydogChoppychop wrote:

banana439monkey wrote:

(#1696)

Banana
Ahemm… What about all the people who are color-blind and don't have an account?
Is your response just going to be: To bad To sad?
They can just go to the settings and set purple to default

define Bumper
stop [the inactivity v]

when green flag clicked
wait (0.5) secs
  • Discussion Forums
  • » Suggestions
  • » [PLEASE DO NOT PROTEST THE PURPLE] An option in account settings to change the site's theme and navigation bar colour [RSS Feed]