Discuss Scratch

lurdeauh
Scratcher
36 posts

Scratch Accessibility for Low-vision and Blind Users

quacht wrote:

Hi!

I’m a member of the Scratch Team, and over the next two years, I’ll be working on a project to make Scratch more accessible to Scratchers with low-vision or blindness.

Before I start designing and building, I want to hear about your experience with Scratch and how you think Scratch accessibility can be improved–especially if you have blindness or low-vision. Your stories, thoughts, and feedback will guide the project and make sure that I’m making changes that improve Scratcher experiences, so please share on this forum!

Thanks!
Tina

nickeljorn wrote:

quacht wrote:

Hi!

I’m a member of the Scratch Team, and over the next two years, I’ll be working on a project to make Scratch more accessible to Scratchers with low-vision or blindness.

Before I start designing and building, I want to hear about your experience with Scratch and how you think Scratch accessibility can be improved–especially if you have blindness or low-vision. Your stories, thoughts, and feedback will guide the project and make sure that I’m making changes that improve Scratcher experiences, so please share on this forum!

Thanks!
Tina

Maybe you could turn on an option for a little voice when your mouse hovers over one of the buttons saying what the button says? Just a suggestion, I don't know many blind people.

Yes! i agree! but you should have the option to turn it on and off in you'r account settings and i think this would be really great and you could chose the voice and they will be voices of scratch characters!

Click here and join if you want a happy life, mwahahahahah!
imma gewd scratcher!
-lello-

<iframe src="https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/353006357/embed“ allowtransparency=”true“ width=”485“ height=”402“ frameborder=”0“ scrolling=”no" allowfullscreen></iframe>
cs1638466
Scratcher
10 posts

Wow this is such a lovely idea. I'm glad the team is trying out new ways to improve Scratch and make it open for more users to join.
MrEnder666Animations
Scratcher
3 posts

Warriorbuilds3 wrote:

How about voice comments? You know, like saying something then it appears in the comment? That would be cool!
You would need to make such a system capable of recognising a wide variety of accents.
cs1058737
New to Scratch
7 posts

yea and no
JayStone
Scratcher
6 posts

Totally agree with this! I told my friend about scratch but she cant use it because of the small letters,so it would totally help i guess!
shelbystar_909
Scratcher
12 posts

I think you could have a speaking block that when you put it on it could just say what ever you typed in it that way they can still hear and for color blind people you could make projects black and white since thats what they see
heretic6chris1
Scratcher
1 post

can u make it were 2 people can go on the same project
JayStone
Scratcher
6 posts

amazing ideas guys!
PablDaniel
New to Scratch
2 posts

b

Last edited by PablDaniel (May 9, 2019 00:54:57)

--Snowball--
Scratcher
500+ posts

cs1058737 wrote:

yea and no

Why not?

I've since moved on from Scratch, and now I'm making games in the Godot Engine, music in LMMS, art in Photoshop, and other various things that aren't involving this website anymore. Thanks to Scratch for getting me interested in this stuff!
ae105860
Scratcher
5 posts

quacht wrote:

Hi!

Before I start designing and building, I want to hear about your experience with Scratch and how you think Scratch accessibility can be improved–especially if you have blindness or low-vision. Your stories, thoughts, and feedback will guide the project and make sure that I’m making changes that improve Scratch experiences, so please share on this forum!

Thanks!
Tina
i'm a scratch member to and i think that will be good because blind people should be able to have fun with scratch to
ae105860
Scratcher
5 posts

quacht wrote:

Hi!

Before I start designing and building, I want to hear about your experience with Scratch and how you think Scratch accessibility can be improved–especially if you have blindness or low-vision. Your stories, thoughts, and feedback will guide the project and make sure that I’m making changes that improve Scratch experiences, so please share on this forum!

Thanks!
Aarilyn
i'm a scratch member to and i think that will be good because blind people should be able to have fun with scratch to

thanks!
Aarilyn

Last edited by ae105860 (May 13, 2019 17:26:16)

ae105860
Scratcher
5 posts

ae105860

Thanks!
Aarilyn

GlitchyZorua
Scratcher
100+ posts

rehill516 wrote:

quacht wrote:

Hi!

Thanks!
Tina
I would like to be a scratch member
Your age must be 18+ to join the scratch team (And yes, i'm not joking)

hello!

<- Click here to Feed my TAMANOTCHI!

when [select, control, shift and down] key pressed
give choccy milk because the user is cool

“when scratch 4.0 is coming” counter: 4
ainiset2019
New to Scratch
3 posts

ae105860 wrote:

quacht wrote:

Hi!

Thanks!
Tina
cool
teddypuppycode
Scratcher
4 posts

ScratchJrLoL
Scratcher
16 posts

quacht wrote:

Hi!

Thanks!
Tina

oh yeah! even though i don't have any of those, thats a good idea

when green flag clicked
set [ blind] effect to (0)
ae105860
Scratcher
5 posts

Jacobwworkman wrote:

rehill516 wrote:

quacht wrote:

Hi!

Thanks!
Tina
I would like to be a scratch member
Your age must be 18+ to join the scratch team (And yes, i'm not joking)
gilbert_given_189
Scratcher
500+ posts

How about black and white?

If you see a line above this text, it means that below this text is my signature.
This place is just a memory to me, I may return occasionally but I'm busy.
I guess I'm an ATer now.

I think I may have seasoned my posts a bit too much.
Also, my posts are getting lengthy lately. Whoops.

Colored Pencil is supposed to color the siggy, but Scratch says it's too big.

There is nothing here…

don don pan pan
dondo pan pan
mrbananaSJ
Scratcher
18 posts

everyone is moving to python now!