Discuss Scratch

CoolGuyBug
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch Accessibility for Low-vision and Blind Users

I noticed the 2.0 editor had bolded text on darker block colors, making blocks easier to read. However, in 3.0, the blocks are no longer bold and the colors are lighter.

CookieKitty2008
New to Scratch
1 post

Hi I am Samantha you can just call me Sam though i am some what new to scratch and i think your idea about making scratch for everyone is amzing and brilliant! so i sent a letter to the creator of scratch about the idea!(*)(*)(*)
BuzzAldren
New to Scratch
4 posts

I'll add the following suggestions/ideas with hopes that we create a working dialog and not just another “yeah, I need that too” reply.

1) Allow creation of code blocks that are duplicative of what currently exists (in other words, let me replace existing code blocks with new code blocks) so that I can change the font/color to suit my visual needs. Events have the worst lack of contrast from white letters/yellow background.

2) Increase contrast in colors for all code blocks

3) Create dark/contrast color outlines around each code block in order to differentiate code blocks
rainbow-girl-1
Scratcher
1 post

Ok so I am a new scratcher and I know a person who can't see 3D(is that included?) and my suggestion is to add a voice activation feature so when the person says something, scratch will do it so a bit like Alexa or Siri. PLEASE LOOK AT MY CHANNEL NO ONE HAS EVEN LOOKED AT IT SO PLEASE I COULD REALLY USE THE SUPPORT.
rosevine1000
Scratcher
45 posts

I'm very happy that Scratch is going to start doing things like this! It would be a very amazing experience for some of these people!

❝Everyone said to Vincent van Gogh, “You can't be a great painter, you only have one ear.” And you know what he said? "I can't hear you.❞
― Steve Carell
gtd_coder
Scratcher
29 posts

BuzzAldren wrote:

I'll add the following suggestions/ideas with hopes that we create a working dialog and not just another “yeah, I need that too” reply.

1) Allow creation of code blocks that are duplicative of what currently exists (in other words, let me replace existing code blocks with new code blocks) so that I can change the font/color to suit my visual needs. Events have the worst lack of contrast from white letters/yellow background.

2) Increase contrast in colors for all code blocks

3) Create dark/contrast color outlines around each code block in order to differentiate code blocks

I completely agree with suggestions 2 & 3 in this post. For anyone with vision issues, high contrast between text color and block color is very important.
StrixCattus
Scratcher
100+ posts

gdarmody wrote:

I have one huge suggestion that may be more helpful for all users, but in particular people with low vision. The text in the coding blocks is now white (I believe it was black before?). I personally am finding it much more difficult to read the text inside of the coding block that identifies what the block is for, as I help students at their computers. The text is extremely small as well. I think black text against the lighter color background color of the block would work better to provide good contrast AND larger text size would make it easier to read.
I think it was always white, but the blocks back then were so dark that the white text was easy to read. With the brighter colors, the white text is harder to read.

Generation 3: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.

W A L L F I S H
lewis_222
Scratcher
46 posts

i dont have anything wrong with my vision but my monitor is so bad so could you make it accesible to people with low res monitors thanks
a99912
Scratcher
100+ posts

I can say that I don’t have the best vision, and some days I can find it hard to read text (like this) as I find it hard to focus my eyes. I think (and for other people as well) Scratch would be easier to use if the blocks were bigger with the words on them in bold? I don’t know though I feel that this will be helpful.

Meh
Bommcocr
Scratcher
14 posts

TheBurger82 wrote:

Maybe you can make blocks make a little ping sound when you hover over them.
that would be annoying

Cat Clicker 2.0

when dora clicked 2 times
stamp
dora will be stamped
AO-0003mwps
Scratcher
17 posts

when green flag clicked
point towards [Blind people]

Last edited by AO-0003mwps (Feb. 3, 2019 03:18:42)

when green flag clicked
say [I am AO-0003mwps]
click [follow]::events
cindercitty
Scratcher
30 posts

I think this is a great idea!!
I think it's good to help people with disablilties..But I agree that maybe some of the blocks should say the name of that block etc.

When life gets you down………………………………………………………………………………….go pray, read your Bible, or talk to a friend!

cindercitty
ZhenChat
Scratcher
4 posts

ok seems pretty epic

henlo
when green flag clicked
add [weird projects] to [scratch]
NetherKing123
Scratcher
39 posts

“Just because a man lacks the use of his eyes doesn't mean he lacks vision.”

-Stevie Wonder

Hey guys! I'm NetherKing123, FlopTV, and -Vudos-. My second accounts are new, but on my main account, this one, I have been on this website for over two years. I'm not very happy with my name, as I have kind of drifted away from Minecraft, but I guess I shall keep it…kinda because I don't really have a choice

Check out my projects, and follows are greatly appreciated
PopStarYoda
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NetherKing123 wrote:

“Just because a man lacks the use of his eyes doesn't mean he lacks vision.”

-Stevie Wonder

I love that quote! <3

кᴀтнɪᴇ | ♀ | ɪɴғᴘ | ʀᴀνᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ | ғσʀᴜм нᴇʟᴘᴇʀ | 3 ʏᴇᴀʀs+ σɴ scʀᴀтcʜ | † | нσмᴇѕᴄнσσʟᴇᴅ | cᴜʀᴀтᴇᴅ x1
♥️ ᴘʀσғɪʟᴇsтᴀтsᴀвouт ᴍєwσʀkshoᴘɪɴѕρɪʀᴀтɪσɴ вσᴀʀᴅ ♥️
——————
——————
LaffytaffyWolf
Scratcher
52 posts

Awesome thats a great idea maybe have a button on the profile that can toggle the accessibility feature and in projects you could have a accessibility extension!

Well welcome to my signature! I'm not sure what else to put here so you should probably just leave…
Your still here….. Seriously though leave. I don't get it, why are you still reading
Stop it! Ok fine you win, now leave.
Comm'on you can't blame me for trying
Well since your here could you do me a favor?
Oh very funny now you leave
Great your back… What was I saying? Errmmm…Ummmmmm….Uuuhh….mmmmm… Yeah I can't remember…
Distraction! https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/youtube/dQw4w9WgXcQ/ Heck, I thought that would work! If I give you a cookie will you leave? Yes? Ok great here https://www.google.com/searchsurl=1&q=cookie&rlz=1CACLSF_enUS869&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih0onMp5LlAhUYFjQIHTT7C28Q_AUIEigB&biw=1366&bih=665&safe=active&ssui=on#imgrc=Jyd5aCTCtZjOFM:
Merry Christmas!
blacknightcoder
Scratcher
3 posts

Nice idea
coke11
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wow, this is AWESOME! Can't wait to see it happen.
fluff64
Scratcher
41 posts

when I receive [3.0 v]
set [2.0 v] to [3.0]

Hi there, I'm Fluff64!
  • Car Renders
  • Car Reviews
  • Games
  • Other stuff