Discuss Scratch

shadowfire24
Scratcher
17 posts

Scratch Accessibility for Low-vision and Blind Users

In fact, I think that there should be an account setting for vision issued people, for example, maybe a button that says “Activate Low-vision/blindness adjustment.” that could enable the whole text-to-speech feature. When that is enabled, when the mouse hovers over something, it will tell you what the mouse is hovering over. Example:

say [hey!] for (2) secs

The voice will say “Say Hey! For 2 Seconds” that would apply to all blocks in project editor.. It would also read sentences from discussions and comments or descriptions and messages.

Another Door Opens
niemahlenai
New to Scratch
2 posts

I really this idea to help low vision and blind people use scratch just text me or email me at (removed by moderator - please don't share contact information) thank you!

Last edited by Paddle2See (Nov. 30, 2017 17:06:37)

Mathlover2006
Scratcher
8 posts

Blind people should use Scratch too!

-@Mathlover2006

~Mathlover
--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

Wow, that sounds awesome Can't wait!

charlottelucy15
Scratcher
100+ posts

This is a great idea! You are basically creating more diversity between scratchers. You maybe should have an option for people who are blind so it can be either braille or normal. Options for both you know.

Hey guys, just click on my name to check out my profile which I recommend in my so humble opinion, same with my shop -Diamond Snake- https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/311697/?page=1#post-3241067
Ramcu
Scratcher
6 posts

This sounds AWESOME! Such a cool idea! I hope it works out well! ^.^
- Ramcu
girlsruless
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a high contrast mode?

ROBLOX, Minecraft, Pokémon, AJ, Miraculous, Warrior cats, HTTYD, and CW fan(and obviosly a girl), girlsruless.

penguinbolt
Scratcher
4 posts

That's super cool and nice!
smiley_cat_rulez
Scratcher
100+ posts

Make an option for having text a bit bigger, as I know that everything starts to blur for me after ~10 ft away and sometimes I need to see things from a length away, and other people my forget glasses and not be able to see close-up.

——————————————————————-◄►—————————————————–

i made my logo in mspaint add me on steam! ╚C0MŘλD3 C0MM13╩XG╩LTAM╝

Last edited by kaj (Tomorrow 25:61:61) ͪͪͪͪͪͪͪͪͪͪ ͣͣͣͣ ͯͯͯͯYes, its above the line)
brodiecomedian
Scratcher
79 posts

ceebee {serbiaball
brodiecomedian
pbs66
sulaswei (who i call speakvisually)
sterlingsupertron}

MeIoetta
Scratcher
1000+ posts

does astigmatism count?

i love jellyfish
kenny2scratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

MeIoetta wrote:

does astigmatism count?
Absolutely! All vision impairments (except near/far-sightedness - that's not an impairment that can't be easily fixed) should be addressed.

post brought to you by the preview links bug and previously the uploads site bug. 看一下中文 Scratch 維基想參加?請參考這頁
Join the Scratch Wiki!
Made by Scratchers, for Scratchers, since December 6, 2008

asqwde
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I am really excited for this.
Dilek10
Scratcher
100+ posts

Woo! This is great!

Hello, I'm Esin, aka Dilek10!
I'm a boy who likes physics, computer science and programming languages, and World War II.
Do you like physics textbooks? Here's a forum topic for you!: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/350422/
The Turkish Scratch Wiki! Contributors wanted!: http://test.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/Tur:Anasayfa
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kenny2scratch wrote:

MeIoetta wrote:

does astigmatism count?
Absolutely! All vision impairments (except near/far-sightedness - that's not an impairment that can't be easily fixed) should be addressed.
Stigmatisms aren't really that impairing. I have one, and the site is perfectly accessible for me already.

My signature is kumquat proof.
But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
Quotes: “In our last hour, we burn the most brightly, trying to deny that we are burning out.” -Me
“Well, no. 1024 Killerbytes make a Murderbyte.” -MegaByteCorporations
“I hate out of context quotes.” -Me
“I hate it when Cubeupload breaks.” -Also me
kenny2scratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

braxbroscratcher wrote:

kenny2scratch wrote:

MeIoetta wrote:

does astigmatism count?
Stigmatisms aren't really that impairing. I have one, and the site is perfectly accessible for me already.
They might not be that impairing for you, but more serious astigmatism can be impairing for others
Also, color blindness isn't that impairing either (people who say I can't drive, go away - I know red is on top), but it's still great to have support for it

post brought to you by the preview links bug and previously the uploads site bug. 看一下中文 Scratch 維基想參加?請參考這頁
Join the Scratch Wiki!
Made by Scratchers, for Scratchers, since December 6, 2008

Pixelated_Pickax
Scratcher
100+ posts

It dosen't seem like anybody here is listening to my ideas exepet shadowfire24 so I will stop trying to voice my opinion here…

Pixelated_Pickax wrote:

I think using a mic would be a cool way to insert blocks using voice commands. I have a friend who has vision issues in my class who uses sound for literally everything, so I think this would benefit those with vision issues a lot.
MeIoetta
Scratcher
1000+ posts

braxbroscratcher wrote:

kenny2scratch wrote:

MeIoetta wrote:

does astigmatism count?
they can be severe too
I think it's a scale from 0 to -20

i love jellyfish
jokebookservice1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

In the forums, let us provide alternative text to allow screen-readers to read about the image.
Additionally, display this text so that the entire community can help moderate the text and ensure it's relevant and descriptive.
shadowfire24
Scratcher
17 posts

Everyone in this chat wants to make Scratch available to everyone. All vision impairments.