Discuss Scratch

ilovehamsters
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch Accessibility for Low-vision and Blind Users

hmm, interesting

the road may have thorns,, вυт уσυ'ℓℓ αℓωαуѕ fιи∂ α ωαу тняσυgн. ѕтαу ѕтяσиg!!!

Quote by RosyStar

•–• Are you satisfied with your care? ~Baymax

LOOK AT DA FACE OF EVIL: •_•
WFHFGames
Scratcher
10 posts

Wait so are you gonna use audio that plays what block you are touching or something?

?
78ch3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

If anybody has iOS there is a smart invert option. I’m using it now, and it helps.
Although I don’t have bad vision (I see quite well, I pretty much have night vision) I still get eye strain from the white of the Scratch background. Black would help.

Sup, I’m 78ch3, person on the internet, TBGForums Member, owner of 78ch3's Everything Shop™ + The United Shops Of Scratch + Scratch Shop Reviewers Federation, and a very lazy person in general (IDK why). My pronouns are she/they for anyone interested. The bold orange words are links. Click them plz
Click here to find out how to get into any scratch account, without the password
Liquid Metal LLC - Information, Investigation, Infiltration /|\ Click to join the Advanced Stealth Combat RP /|\

My PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, AMD Radeon RX 6800XT ROG Strix Liquid cooled OC edition, ROG Strix x570-E Gaming, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB), Seagate FireCuda 520 PCIe Gen 4 NVMe (500GB), Crucial P2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe (1TB), Corsair HX1000, Gigabyte G34WQC, RIG 800HD.
I mostly play Fortnite, Minecraft, Call of Duty and Rainbow 6 Siege

Oh, you won’t see this without a ctrl+shift+down.
People need better thumbnails.
Also there's a lot of anti-kumquat equipment but the kumquats are too scared to come within 100 kilometres of me.
-Pistachio-
Scratcher
11 posts

I love this idea and am all for all-inclusion, I actually got this link from @Mr-Dave who was looking to improve a recent project of mine and help with blindness friendly coding. I have lots of thoughts and ideas about possibilities that could potentially be all-inclusive for people with little to no vision but am by no way a very good coder so do not have very many ideas on the practicalities of how to create the different potential scenarios come into coding terms however I do feel as if scratch is the place to do it. So if anyone with anymore insight or knowledge on the situation would be willing to help test-run a few projects, that would be amazing as I really want to open up projects to make them so they can be for people with blindness, deafness, or people who do not have as easy access as people who don't have blindness or are not deaf so please anyone with information, contact me because this is such a good idea and I really want to help push it forward!

when green flag clicked
say [If you can help or have any more ideas, that would be awesome] for (2) secs

P.S. I'm new to discussions so if I did anything incorrectly or should improve on language here then let me know because this is such a cool subject that i want to get interested and join it in the right way! Thanks -
JoeyFnaf2005
Scratcher
42 posts

We want Scratch to be for anyone, even for people who have disabilities. We will care for them and for the community too.

Create Imagination

just your ‘out of the run’ Vector Artist, there's nothing necessarily important to know much about me
-Pistachio-
Scratcher
11 posts

JoeyFnaf2005 wrote:

We want Scratch to be for anyone, even for people who have disabilities. We will care for them and for the community too.

Create Imagination

Exactly, it should be open and free to everyone
apple502j
Scratcher
1000+ posts

apple502j wrote:

I tested NVDA, screen reader. (I'm not blind, but I want to test)

* Front Page: user icon should read the username. now read the URL, and unuseful. this is for project images,too
* statistics: Non reading, should read like “December 2017, 100 New users,…”
* guidelines: no alt text is needed for Cat, Gobo, and Gobo's friend images.
* featured (userpage): image should read “Featured: title”
* scratch emojis should read
bump

署名は、ディスカッションフォーラムの機能である。署名は、その人のすべての投稿の下部に追加される。署名は、BBCodeで記述できる。 署名を追加/変更/削除したい場合は、ディスカッションフォーラムのホームの一番下に行き、「Change your signature」を押す。署名の大きさは150pxまでである。これには、改行、画像を含む。- Japanese Scratch-Wiki 「署名
77Tigers
Scratcher
62 posts

Speech recognition is already going to be added to scratch 3.0. This is great !

Last edited by 77Tigers (Feb. 13, 2018 22:01:56)

var temp=document.title;document.head.innerHTML="";document.title=temp;

(◕_◕)
;
Bob_The_Destroyer123
Scratcher
1 post

I don't have vision problems, but if there is any blind Jedi using this site (temporary or otherwise), then this addition would probably make using Scratch a whole lot less tiring (mentally, of course, since using the Force for extended periods of time is exhausting mentally) since a Jedi can use the Force as their eyes. Don't mind my overexplaining. Also, how do I put one of those things that you put on the bottom of the post? I would love to know how. Anyways, this is a nice idea.
Lovesilk
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hmm…maybe if someone moves their mouse over something (or if click; double tap to actually click), an automatic voice will speak whatever they click?????????

A trustworthy Christian site: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/
ideapad-320
Scratcher
1000+ posts

quacht wrote:

Hi!

I’m a member of the Scratch Team, and over the next two years, I’ll be working on a project to make Scratch more accessible to Scratchers with low-vision or blindness.

Before I start designing and building, I want to hear about your experience with Scratch and how you think Scratch accessibility can be improved–especially if you have blindness or low-vision. Your stories, thoughts, and feedback will guide the project and make sure that I’m making changes that improve Scratcher experiences, so please share on this forum!

Thanks!
Tina
text-to speach

This is my siggy.
Can't wait for FRC water game!
ideapad-320
Scratcher
1000+ posts

quacht wrote:

Hi!

I’m a member of the Scratch Team, and over the next two years, I’ll be working on a project to make Scratch more accessible to Scratchers with low-vision or blindness.

Before I start designing and building, I want to hear about your experience with Scratch and how you think Scratch accessibility can be improved–especially if you have blindness or low-vision. Your stories, thoughts, and feedback will guide the project and make sure that I’m making changes that improve Scratcher experiences, so please share on this forum!

Thanks!
Tina
teach people how to use zoom
most work with ctl++ and ctl+-
foever{imangine
create
share}

This is my siggy.
Can't wait for FRC water game!
Sasha4321
Scratcher
3 posts

You could have them press keyboard buttons (ctrl+g) for green flag or something or an optional narrating voice
(i personally just wear glasses)
-Pistachio-
Scratcher
11 posts

Lovesilk wrote:

Hmm…maybe if someone moves their mouse over something (or if click; double tap to actually click), an automatic voice will speak whatever they click?????????

A low-vision to blind user may not be able to complete this task, this is a good general idea though to have a voice explanation of things usually needing sight.
TheCodePro123
Scratcher
100+ posts

Color reversal would help color blind people see what we see.

TheCodePro123
CODE LIKE A PRO
Leave a follow, love, or favorite! Even a view is fine!
Things to Check Out: Anything in Bold is a Link
Check out my Marvelous Art Maker (MAM)!
Check out the EpicCode Productions!
Check out the Translate to Morse Code!

TheCodePro123 wrote:

CODE LIKE A PRO!

TheCodePro123 wrote:

THE PRO WITH CODE
SadieTheFearless
Scratcher
3 posts

hi i jut do no know how to make a map THANKS SADIETHEFEARLESS
-Spicy-BBQ-Sauce-
Scratcher
9 posts

My recommendation-
I suggest you make the color palette block changer NOT hidden because some people don't know where it is.
Also, maybe add-
-Invert colors option
-Grayscale
-High contrast mode

What would be cooler is if I had a project that could ask people if they were colorblind and then change the colors to suit their needs!

I think what you're working on is very nice, as well as respectful. Keep on making the world a better place 'yall!

“JUST SPICE IT UP!”
saodtheking
Scratcher
100+ posts

quacht wrote:

Hi!

Thanks!
Tina

Hey!

Seeing the scratch community trying to help people with visual impairment made me so happy as I belong to this category.

I joined scratch before around 4 years. I loved the idea of simple coding and the fact that I can create my own games.

In general, I always find the screen/monitor a little bit smaller, and I often find difficulties reading small text.

I loved scratch so much but i couldn't read the scratch blocks well most of the time when im looking for them.

Then i realised that there is a magnifier app on windows.

So i started using it whenever im using scratch or when im going to read articles and stuff.

and believe it or not i have more than 30 games that were made completely by the help of the magnifier app!

as of now, im cool with its current state. However, a few more additions would be helpful!

Thank you and the scratch community so much for helping!

btw, i didnt like the bright yellow blocks on 3.0. i think it was for event blocks, the white text with bright yellow background is not the best option.

Last edited by saodtheking (March 15, 2018 19:44:06)

dpowell_2016
Scratcher
1 post

This sounds like a great project to do but it will be really hard. I have been a scratcher for the last 2 years so I am wishing you good luck working on this project.
apple502j
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Also see https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/247958/

“Change block colors” should be auto-saved/loaded.

署名は、ディスカッションフォーラムの機能である。署名は、その人のすべての投稿の下部に追加される。署名は、BBCodeで記述できる。 署名を追加/変更/削除したい場合は、ディスカッションフォーラムのホームの一番下に行き、「Change your signature」を押す。署名の大きさは150pxまでである。これには、改行、画像を含む。- Japanese Scratch-Wiki 「署名