Discuss Scratch

D-ScratchNinja
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch Accessibility for Low-vision and Blind Users

I suggest there to be subtitle for the color you're selecting. e.g. below the sliders, there would be some text showing “<colorname>” if you selected that color. This would help color-blind or low-vision users recognize the color they have selected.

D-ScratchNinja • he/him
- The following is my signature, which always shows up below my posts. -

New! Filter through my projects with my website.

Need to fix an issue? Check out this studio for solutions to some common problems!

OS: Windows 11 / Browser: Microsoft Edge / Time zone: PST/PDT
cs2274020
Scratcher
5 posts

that would be great <3
people who are blind or have low vision will be like us too enjoying scratch project and other stuff :3

when green flag clicked
say [hello] for (2) secs
ask [should we do this?] and wait
JackK211424
Scratcher
500+ posts

nickeljorn wrote:

quacht wrote:

Hi!

I’m a member of the Scratch Team, and over the next two years, I’ll be working on a project to make Scratch more accessible to Scratchers with low-vision or blindness.

Before I start designing and building, I want to hear about your experience with Scratch and how you think Scratch accessibility can be improved–especially if you have blindness or low-vision. Your stories, thoughts, and feedback will guide the project and make sure that I’m making changes that improve Scratcher experiences, so please share on this forum!

Thanks!
Tina

Maybe you could turn on an option for a little voice when your mouse hovers over one of the buttons saying what the button says? Just a suggestion, I don't know many blind people.

yeah, that would be good, like text-to-speech voice. or maybe small voices also saying what sprite does.

Somebody236
Scratcher
1 post

oops

Last edited by Somebody236 (May 19, 2019 15:10:45)

culverkwan
Scratcher
500+ posts

Can you tell me hoe to change the cat's colour?

My shop which I opened!
I am the assistant secretary of T.I.P.S..
And please give me an internet!
I play Brawl Stars!

billprattcttf
Scratcher
10 posts

Original Post: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/351324/?page=1#post-3553468 with numbers 4 and 5 added here.

“U4pp0!”

Could you read that? Do you know that it says “Hello!” if you use the key up and to the right on the keyboard. The inability to read this is what I feel like when I can't tell the difference between colors as a color blind person.

I am partially color blind and cannot get the colors in the new color selector. Between the color slider, saturation, and brightness, I am lost. I know lots of kids are lost too. Scratch is supposed to be designed for ages 8-16 but there are not many in that age group that truly understand the sliders. I am almost 50 teaching Scratch and because of my color blindness, I can't figure out the colors. Even people who are not color blind are having trouble with the slider system.

I know color blindness does not fall within ADA guidelines but please fix this.

My suggestions:
1) Have an option to use the color blocks like 2.0
2) Create a hex or RGB entry (I can look up the hex code for any color in the world if I know the name)
3) Create a directory of Scratch colors by color group (ROYGBIV) and then alphabetically (color: 10, saturation: 100, brightness: 50 equates to hex #804d00 saddle brown)
4) Use a standard color palette with just three RGB sliders
5) Use a standard hue, saturation, brightness slider set

I was embarrassed as a first grader coloring oceans and skies purple and grass brown. Now, as an educator, I have thick enough skin to shake it off but I ache for those kids who get picked on for the same reason. Fix this Scratch.

(Update: I emailed the Scratch team about this and they said they are working on it. Your project might include the solution to this.)
MistyRain17
Scratcher
500+ posts

quacht wrote:

Hi!

I’m a member of the Scratch Team, and over the next two years, I’ll be working on a project to make Scratch more accessible to Scratchers with low-vision or blindness.

Before I start designing and building, I want to hear about your experience with Scratch and how you think Scratch accessibility can be improved–especially if you have blindness or low-vision. Your stories, thoughts, and feedback will guide the project and make sure that I’m making changes that improve Scratcher experiences, so please share on this forum!

Thanks!
Tina
Oooh, awesome idea!

ainiset2019
New to Scratch
3 posts

hello im ainise
1troyc01
New to Scratch
1 post

ae105860
Scratcher
5 posts

mrbananaSJ wrote:

everyone is moving to python now!
Idk
-ComicScratcher34-
Scratcher
20 posts

Aye its me!!!! that guy you either dont know or kinda like
move (To corner and cry) steps
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

This is pretty much derailed at this point. Please don't post stuff that's off topic.

Anyway, along the lines of accessibility, I would like to discuss a low contrast dark theme for Scratch. This white theme is really painful at night, so I think it would really help, since just about everything else in my computer is in a dark theme. Right now I'm using extensions to get around that.

Infrequently active.

It feels weird to see how far we've come. I hope you're well, wherever you are!
cs1058737
New to Scratch
7 posts

it my birding my sing1
karategirl543
Scratcher
13 posts

That's a great idea! Maybe more voice-activated aspects and more sound effects compared to a project made for a user with no eye impairments.

“Achievement has no color” -Abraham Lincoln

Social justice on Scratch and in the world! :D

Last edited by karategirl543 (May 28, 2019 21:35:13)

JayStone
Scratcher
6 posts

AMOIZING IDEASSSSSS
say [Noice.] for (2) secs
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

This topic is pretty much derailed and is now a FFA of off topic discussions.

Please stop. If you want to talk to each other use comments…

Not here!

P.S. Is there a roadmap for this accessibility project? I'd like to see what's planned.

Infrequently active.

MistyRain17
Scratcher
500+ posts

mrbananaSJ wrote:

Well, I think some people are also moving on to Java as well. But I'm staying on Scratch ‘till I’m 13 or 14.

OlafDolaff
Scratcher
100+ posts

Merge the text to speech blocks with the say blocks.

my signature was not eaten by evil kumquats
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

MistyRain17 wrote:

mrbananaSJ wrote:

Well, I think some people are also moving on to Java as well. But I'm staying on Scratch ‘till I’m 13 or 14.

Lol. I kind of already moved away from Scratch quite some years ago, I only stuck around because Scratch makes 2D games easier to make, but it's so limited.

OlafDolaff wrote:

Merge the text to speech blocks with the say blocks.

Easy workaround:

say [whatever] for (2) secs
speak [whatever] :: pen

Why won't anyone put this topic back on track? I'm trying, lol.

Let's make Scratch more accessible to everyone. Discuss, please.

Infrequently active.

Bienestar2000
Scratcher
4 posts

i would like to see a 3.0 progress bar