Discuss Scratch

makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

New ways to get started with Scratch!

st19_galla wrote:

Hey guys,

I know that some of us are very disappointed that the “Discuss” tab has been removed. I know we are all so used to it being there and how it was a really nice way to get to the forums fast. However, I encourage you to look at it from a New Scratcher's point of view. Scratch's main concepts are to “Imagine, Program, and Share”. The Create tab obviously gives the ‘program’ aspect, Explore the ‘share’, and now with the new Tips tab, there are lot's of resources to help get New Scratcher's accustomed to ‘Imagining’ all that they can do with Scratch. The Discuss tab never really fit into those three central components (except for the Show and Tell forum). No one can argue that the forums aren't a huge part of Scratch and a great resource, but they simply do not fall under the 3 things that the Scratch Team is targeting for New Scratchers to be exposed to. I know it's not ideal, but for the good of hundreds of thousands of children across the world being given the wonderful opportunity to Imagine, Program, and Share, can't we deal with having to scroll to the bottom of the page? I promise it won't take long to get used to haha.

Thanks,
St19_Galla

Is this your application for official ST press secretary?

I would argue that the forums rather than embodying one of those topics actually embody all three.

Imagine: Project Ideas, Collaboration, Things I'm making and creating, etc.
Program: Help w/ Scripts, Collaboration, Requests, etc.
Share: Show + Tell, Requests, etc.

I just came up with these quickly and there are probably more, but the point is that the forums support each mission of the ST. The share of knowledge has for millennia inspired and caused innovation throughout the world. It is no different here.
mr-scratch-cat
Scratcher
500+ posts

st19_galla wrote:

Hey guys,

I know that some of us are very disappointed that the “Discuss” tab has been removed. I know we are all so used to it being there and how it was a really nice way to get to the forums fast. However, I encourage you to look at it from a New Scratcher's point of view. Scratch's main concepts are to “Imagine, Program, and Share”. The Create tab obviously gives the ‘program’ aspect, Explore the ‘share’, and now with the new Tips tab, there are lot's of resources to help get New Scratcher's accustomed to ‘Imagining’ all that they can do with Scratch. The Discuss tab never really fit into those three central components (except for the Show and Tell forum). No one can argue that the forums aren't a huge part of Scratch and a great resource, but they simply do not fall under the 3 things that the Scratch Team is targeting for New Scratchers to be exposed to. I know it's not ideal, but for the good of hundreds of thousands of children across the world being given the wonderful opportunity to Imagine, Program, and Share, can't we deal with having to scroll to the bottom of the page? I promise it won't take long to get used to haha.

Thanks,
St19_Galla
The way I see it, the forums are a pretty big part of Scratch, since they have a large community. Also, why can't we just remove the Tips button instead? It's pretty much the same stuff as the tips in the editor, and giving Scratchers projects instead of letting them imagine their own ideas goes against the first main concept of Scratch.

Thanks,
A Concerned Citizen

powercon5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

liz9am wrote:

Weren't the “tips” easily accessible in the create section? That is a much better place for the tips. I also personally think much more people would use forums instead of tips.
The forums can do much more, they can help much more.

Witty signature.

st19_galla
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Harakou wrote:

st19_galla wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks,
St19_Galla
Just to point out, by the way, we do have a link to the forums in the Tips page. I know it's not nearly as prominent, but it is in a place that are people are more likely to look at in the first place if they want to get help.
Updated! Thanks Harakou

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ | I'ᗰ ᔕT19_Gᗩᒪᒪᗩ! | ᑎEᗯ TO ᔕᑕᖇᗩTᑕᕼ? ᐯIᔕIT TᕼE ᗯEᒪᑕOᗰIᑎG ᑕOᗰᗰITTEE! |
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀| ᗩ GᑌIᗪE TO (ᑎOT) ᑎEᑕᖇOᑭOᔕTIᑎG! | ᐯIᔕIT TᕼE ᔕᑕᖇᗩTᑕᕼ ᗯIKI ᖴOᖇ ᗩᑎY ᑫᑌEᔕTIOᑎᔕ! |

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ This signature is looking a bit… вℓυє, why don't we add a bit of яє∂?

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Đ₳Ɽ₦, ₳₦ ɆVłⱠ ₭Ʉ₥QɄ₳₮ ł₴ Ɇ₳₮ł₦₲ ₥Ɏ ₴ł₲₦₳₮ɄⱤɆ!
makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

st19_galla wrote:

Harakou wrote:

st19_galla wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks,
St19_Galla
Just to point out, by the way, we do have a link to the forums in the Tips page. I know it's not nearly as prominent, but it is in a place that are people are more likely to look at in the first place if they want to get help.
Updated! Thanks Harakou

Did they accept your application for press secretary xD?
muellly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

st19_galla wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks,
St19_Galla
Actually the discuss button lead to forums for all three of those things. Share was the show and tell forums, and the what I'm making/playing forums because you are sharing your projects, your options and what you are making outside of Scratch. Program was help with scripts and collab forums because you are helping others program and you are working with others to program. Imagine is the project ideas forum because you are sharing, and asking for ideas that come from the imagination. The tips can only go so far and are quite limited but when you need help that isn't there or you already did all the ideas there, that is when you go to the forums. Also explore ever shows new or popular projects so it is up to luck it shares your project with others. Also create falls under all three because you are sharing what you programed and imagined. Also the main problem here is that new Scratchers will never learn about the forums in the first place, as when was the last time before this anouncment you looked at the footer without someone else telling you to?

I would greatly appreciate if you were to check of this game I spent months that includes plot and bosses here https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/97452006/ ………………………………………Want a detailed review or idea?

I'm a major fan of Pokemon, Undertale and the Pija and Toast series.
I am doing a shiny scramble of pokemon Pearl. I'm 7 chapters in and on my way to the 2nd gym.
st19_galla
Scratcher
1000+ posts

makethebrainhappy wrote:

I would argue that the forums rather than embodying one of those topics actually embody all three.

I just came up with these quickly and there are probably more, but the point is that the forums support each mission of the ST. The share of knowledge has for millennia inspired and caused innovation throughout the world. It is no different here.

Haha, just giving my two cents That is true, they definitely do have numerous topics that fit into those categories. However, you have to think about how each tab on the nav bar is dedicated only for one thing. While the forums have all those topics, they aren't really all that helpful to a New Scratcher who is trying to find new projects, learn new things (referring to the tips page tutorials) and the editor (obviously haha ). To be quite honest, I hardly ever use the Show and Tell forum when I want to find new topics, rather, the Explore page, as would a New Scratcher (probably).

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ | I'ᗰ ᔕT19_Gᗩᒪᒪᗩ! | ᑎEᗯ TO ᔕᑕᖇᗩTᑕᕼ? ᐯIᔕIT TᕼE ᗯEᒪᑕOᗰIᑎG ᑕOᗰᗰITTEE! |
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀| ᗩ GᑌIᗪE TO (ᑎOT) ᑎEᑕᖇOᑭOᔕTIᑎG! | ᐯIᔕIT TᕼE ᔕᑕᖇᗩTᑕᕼ ᗯIKI ᖴOᖇ ᗩᑎY ᑫᑌEᔕTIOᑎᔕ! |

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ This signature is looking a bit… вℓυє, why don't we add a bit of яє∂?

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Đ₳Ɽ₦, ₳₦ ɆVłⱠ ₭Ʉ₥QɄ₳₮ ł₴ Ɇ₳₮ł₦₲ ₥Ɏ ₴ł₲₦₳₮ɄⱤɆ!
Harakou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

makethebrainhappy wrote:

st19_galla wrote:

Harakou wrote:

st19_galla wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks,
St19_Galla
Updated! Thanks Harakou

I don't know what you're talking about.
Your check is in the mail @st19_Galla. Keep up the good work.
WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Harakou wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

I see what you did there

Daring_Sailor
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Just pointing out, pretty much everything in the Tips page (and much more!) is already in the project editor. A New Scratcher is much more likely to just press create and look at the tips bar in the editor than go to a whole new page.

-Galaxydust-
Scratcher
100+ posts

st19_galla wrote:

Hey guys,

I know that some of us are very disappointed that the “Discuss” tab has been removed. I know we are all so used to it being there and how it was a really nice way to get to the forums fast. However, I encourage you to look at it from a New Scratcher's point of view. Scratch's main concepts are to “Imagine, Program, and Share”. The Create tab obviously gives the ‘program’ aspect, Explore the ‘share’, and now with the new Tips tab, there are lot's of resources to help get New Scratcher's accustomed to ‘Imagining’ all that they can do with Scratch. The Discuss tab never really fit into those three central components (except for the Show and Tell forum). No one can argue that the forums aren't a huge part of Scratch and a great resource, but they simply do not fall under the 3 things that the Scratch Team is targeting for New Scratchers to be exposed to. I know it's not ideal, but for the good of hundreds of thousands of children across the world being given the wonderful opportunity to Imagine, Program, and Share, can't we deal with having to scroll to the bottom of the page or clicking the link on the actual Tips page? I promise it won't take long to get used to haha.

Thanks,
St19_Galla

New Scratchers would want to check out the forums to. It will help them meet other scratchers. Without the forums tab, some may not even know it exists. Which means:

-Less Scratchers will get useful coding tips in “Help with scripts”
-Less Scratchers will have their questions asked in “Questions about Scratch”
-Less Scratchers will find and show projects in “Show and tell”
-Less Scratchers will find Scratchers with similar interests in “Things I'm making and creating” and “Things I'm reading and playing”
-Less suggestions to be features

Why
SuperRedCoder
Scratcher
100+ posts

dietbacon wrote:

Hey everyone,

We are always looking for ways to make Scratch easier to get started with. Today we’re excited to announce that we’ve added lots of new resources to a new section called Tips! .

On the new Tips page, you will find interactive tutorials that can help you start making a variety of projects. There are also printable Activity Cards with detailed instructions on how to build any of the projects you are interested in.

In addition to the inclusion of the new Tips page, the site navigation menu has also been updated. We replaced the “Help” button with a “Tips” button, which will lead you to the new Tips page mentioned above. We believe this will help newcomers discover and use our new Scratch activities. We have also removed the “Discuss” button from the navigation menu. We made this decision based on usage (how often it was clicked) and to give emphasis to the other menu options like “Create” and “Explore.” You can still access the Discussion Forums by clicking the link in the footer at the bottom of every page or by going to https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/. These changes were made to help highlight project creation and get new users started on becoming full fledged Scratchers!

Scratch On!

- - - - -

FAQ:
Where is “Discuss” in the footer?
In the footer, under “Community”, you will see a link to “Discussion Forums”. You can also always access the forums with this url: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/

Can you make the search bar smaller to make room for discuss?
This decision was also made in part because the navigation menu is translated to many other languages, and in some of those languages there was just too much text to fit in the space.

The search bar is flexible in size based on the language you are in. While it may appear extra large in English, this is not always the case. For example, change your language to Deutsch and see what happens. And this is with one item removed from the nav bar - imagine what it was like when there were five items in the nav bar before.

I feel like this decision was very useful for new Scratchers because it will give them access to help if they need it in their projects.

However, I mostly oppose to this idea because since the footer is all the way on the bottom of the page, introducing the forums to new Scratchers will be harder; it isn't on the top of the page anymore.

st19_galla wrote:

Hey guys,

I know that some of us are very disappointed that the “Discuss” tab has been removed. I know we are all so used to it being there and how it was a really nice way to get to the forums fast. However, I encourage you to look at it from a New Scratcher's point of view. Scratch's main concepts are to “Imagine, Program, and Share”. The Create tab obviously gives the ‘program’ aspect, Explore the ‘share’, and now with the new Tips tab, there are lot's of resources to help get New Scratcher's accustomed to ‘Imagining’ all that they can do with Scratch. The Discuss tab never really fit into those three central components (except for the Show and Tell forum). No one can argue that the forums aren't a huge part of Scratch and a great resource, but they simply do not fall under the 3 things that the Scratch Team is targeting for New Scratchers to be exposed to. I know it's not ideal, but for the good of hundreds of thousands of children across the world being given the wonderful opportunity to Imagine, Program, and Share, can't we deal with having to scroll to the bottom of the page or clicking the link on the actual Tips page? I promise it won't take long to get used to haha.

Thanks,
St19_Galla

I also kinda semi-disagree with this statement because, although I respect Galla's statement saying that it will help new Scratchers and bonds together the “Imagine, Program, and Share” motto, the “Discuss” button should have stayed where it was, because the discussion forums are also part of the “Share” element of Scratch, because this will allow new Scratchers to socialize with each other, and to learn new things by engaging with other people.

But that's just me! I bet Galla's right we're gonna get used to it pretty soon.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited by SuperRedCoder (July 5, 2017 21:46:22)

From: SuperRedCoder, a fellow scratcher. Have a nice day!

Love food? Really?

—– https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/160612248/ —–

It awaits your click.

#bring_it_back
makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

st19_galla wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

Haha, just giving my two cents That is true, they definitely do have numerous topics that fit into those categories. However, you have to think about how each tab on the nav bar is dedicated only for one thing. While the forums have all those topics, they aren't really all that helpful to a New Scratcher who is trying to find new projects, learn new things (referring to the tips page tutorials) and the editor (obviously haha ). To be quite honest, I hardly ever use the Show and Tell forum when I want to find new topics, rather, the Explore page, as would a New Scratcher (probably).

Honestly I do not believe that any of us can truly say what a New Scratcher does or does not do.

“However, you have to think about how each tab on the nav bar is dedicated only for one thing.”

I would again xD, respectfully, like to disagree on this point. The editor or the “Create” tab contains all three components. It contains tutorials to inspire, an editor to program, and a share button to publish. Sharing is a little bit literal here, but the other two components are absolutely present.

But thinking about “Sharing” in the literal sense the explore tab isn't very effective at that for the New Scratcher anyway, because it shows the most popular projects first. Tip's is both about inspiring and programming, and I'm not sure that the “About” page fit's any category conclusively.

“While the forums have all those topics, they aren't really all that helpful to a New Scratcher who is trying to find new projects, learn new things (referring to the tips page tutorials) and the editor (obviously haha ).”

Their are lots of guides in the forums (usually stickied), which have helpful information written by Scratchers who underwent the same process. The forums also contain many more project ideas than the tips page, which contains a limited selection. The forums are very helpful for the New Scratcher who requires assistance with a project or otherwise has a question about Scratch. Having the discuss forum does not really minimize the other subjects, rather it enhances them.

“To be quite honest, I hardly ever use the Show and Tell forum when I want to find new topics, rather, the Explore page, as would a New Scratcher (probably).

Yeah, because only the best projects are shown on the Explore page, and anyone can post on the Show + Tell forum. This leads to the honest truth that the projects on the forum are usually of lower quality. The Show + Tell forum though is only a small piece of the puzzle, each forum contributes to the greater good, as you recognized at the beginning of your post.
makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Harakou wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

st19_galla wrote:

Harakou wrote:

st19_galla wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks,
St19_Galla
Updated! Thanks Harakou

-Galaxydust-
Scratcher
100+ posts

st19_galla wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

They are actually quite helpful. If a Scratcher still has questions after reading those or going through them, they can check out the forums. Help with scripts will let Scratchers ask for a lot of different scripts rather than the ones on the tips page. Maybe it is not dedicated to one thing, but it is neatly organised. They can learn new things through many of the forums. Also, the show and tell forum is very useful to me. Also, new scratchers wouldn't really check out the explore tab, rather the front page. New scratchers are also the ones who make use of the show and tell forum often, and for others, it is fun to check out their projects. I remember being introduced to Scratch with a previous account. I found the forums very useful. The forums tab is very useful!

Why
infinatious
Scratcher
13 posts

Terrible idea to remove links to the forums. Did we want the forums button removed? No. Please listen to the community, it will make a lot of things better.

Last edited by infinatious (July 5, 2017 21:53:46)

I really don't use Forums too often. Well congrats on reading this anyway.
SuperRedCoder
Scratcher
100+ posts

Drunken_Sailor wrote:

Just pointing out, pretty much everything in the Tips page (and much more!) is already in the project editor. A New Scratcher is much more likely to just press create and look at the tips bar in the editor than go to a whole new page.

Yeah!

From: SuperRedCoder, a fellow scratcher. Have a nice day!

Love food? Really?

—– https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/160612248/ —–

It awaits your click.

#bring_it_back
liz9am
Scratcher
45 posts

powercon5 wrote:

liz9am wrote:

Weren't the “tips” easily accessible in the create section? That is a much better place for the tips. I also personally think much more people would use forums instead of tips.
I agree. We make our own “tips” on forums, instead of just the eight or nine tips listed on the tip page.

Work for a Cause
Not For Applause
Live Life to Express
Not to Impress
Don't Strive to make your Presence Noticed
Just Make your Absence Felt
muellly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

st19_galla wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

Actually create falls under all three. Also you can find new projects in the show and tell, learn new things by asking questions and reading guides. I actually look for new projects more in the show and tell section because I honestly find most of the projects on the front page overrated and I hope to find a diamond in the rough in the show and tell section. Also it's nice to see an description of a project before loading the project.

I would greatly appreciate if you were to check of this game I spent months that includes plot and bosses here https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/97452006/ ………………………………………Want a detailed review or idea?

I'm a major fan of Pokemon, Undertale and the Pija and Toast series.
I am doing a shiny scramble of pokemon Pearl. I'm 7 chapters in and on my way to the 2nd gym.
powercon5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

liz9am wrote:

powercon5 wrote:

liz9am wrote:

I agree. We make our own “tips” on forums, instead of just the eight or nine tips listed on the tip page.
You can also have people help with problems. If you get stuck with the tips guide there is nothing you can do. Especially if you don't know about the forums.

Witty signature.