Discuss Scratch

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

Lately, I have been seeing a lot of necroposting going on in the forums which led me to make this guide on when is or isn't ok to bump old topics.
Note: The following information in the quote box is by Harakou* - I copied it off from the Scratch 1.4. archived forums. (@Harakou: I hope you don't mind that I remixed your guide here - I just couldn't resist after seeing so many people necropost. )

Harakou wrote:

First things first: What is a necropost?
A necropost is generally referred to as a reply to an old, abandoned thread that has been considered “dead” for a while. Basically, a thread that no longer serves any purpose is bumped back up to the top of the forums by someone posting in it.

How old should a thread be before it is considered “dead”?
This depends on the thread and the forum it is in. Some things to consider:
-Has the initial question been resolved?
-Is the subject no longer relevant? (For example: a thread suggesting an input box. Since Scratch 1.4 added this functionality, this thread has no real purpose.)
-Is the thread relatively old? If the original poster was asking for help, they're probably not watching it anymore if it's over a month old.

Is it ever okay to necropost?
Yes. If you believe you have something to add to the subject that no one else has mentioned, and the topic is still relevant or unresolved, you can give your input; it may spark new discussion! However, do some searching and make sure the subject hasn't been resolved or continued on somewhere else since then. In addition, some topics, such as Show and Tell threads, are never too old to post in. Since those are there for you to give feedback, rather than hold a discussion, you can always leave a comment for the maker. There's nothing like bringing a great project that has been forgotten back into the limelight.

For more information, see the Scratch Wiki article on bumping/necroposting.

Which necroposts should I report and which necropost should I NOT report?

I will present 3 cases about when there was a necropost. One of them is not a helpful necropost that should be reported, while the other 2 are allowed.

Case 1.
This first case is about a necropost that I made that was not helpful. This necropost that I made was on a thread that was 5 months old without replies and was no longer useful. Furthermore, the necropost I made did not contribute to the thread topic. Therefore, necroposts like these are NOT ok and should be reported.
Yes… even I have necroposted before.
Case 2
The second case was a necropost as well. However, it is a helpful necropost. That necropost contributed to the thread, and, though it bumped a topic a year old, it added new information that had not been added. Therefore, necroposting like that in that situation is OK and should not be reported.
Case 3
This is a necropost. It bumped a thread that has not had a reply from the topic owner in a long time and did not add any new information. However, it is actually OK because it was posted on an ITopic. ITopics are always considered relevant. Therefore, this necropost is OK and should not be reported.

Do note that just because the topic is an ITopic does not mean that the post doesn't have to be relevant to the thread. Posts still have to contribute to the topic. Otherwise, they may be removed for being off topic.

It should also be noted that an ITopic can actually be considered irrelevant in special circumstances. One of the requirements for a topic to be ITopic'd is that the owner of that thread has to be active. If the thread owner isn't active, a replacement topic will usually be created and the old one will be considered irrelevant. If someone is still posting on the old one, then it would qualify as a necropost since they should be posting on the replacement thread.

What does the Scratch Team do with a necropost?
The Scratch Team might do one of the following if they find a necropost:
1. Delete the necropost.
2. Close the topic. (however, if the topic was still helpful, they will leave the topic open)
3. Do nothing. (Only if the topic is still relevant or if the post contributes to the thread and adds new information).

Note: If the topic has not recieved a reply in a long time and someone necroposts, the Scratch Team may consider the topic dead and close it. However, if the topic owner still thinks that the topic is not dead yet, he/she just needs to use the report buton to ask a moderator to reopen the topic.

Hopefully this helps clear up the problems with necroposting.

Last edited by joshuaho (Aug. 29, 2017 05:31:02)


404 error. Forum signature not found. A group of highly trained dragons are in the process of locating it.
;
Braeden5454
Scratcher
500+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

Thanks for clarifying this for some people. Sometimes on year old suggestion threads I see something like “I agree with you”. This annoys me because it is clogging up recent forum space.

No text here-> Haha April Fools, You spent 3 seconds highlighting this.
move () steps

If you think my post was helpful, you may want to Follow me to receive updated and useful tips.
I am raeden5454. You can check out some more projects at My Prof
404 Error. Cannot find page “signature”. Reason: Kumquat consumption
Asjali
Scratcher
100+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

I've been reporting quite a bit of necroposts since I started frequenting these forums not too long ago and needed some clarification on what was actually a necropost. This definitely saves me a world of impending trouble (not that I'll stop reporting, but that I'll take care to report more carefully). Thank you, joshuaho!


Asjali, the Grim Reaper of Necroposts
davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

Necropost Bump

Remember when I looked like this? I still do.


Float, my Scratch 2.0 mod | My (somewhat under-construction) blog
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

davidkt wrote:

Necropost Bump
Please do not necropost if the post does not contribute to the topic.

Oh… wait. I also “necroposted” too.

LOL, just joking!! There is no such thing as necroposting on ITopics….

Last edited by joshuaho (May 29, 2014 04:54:53)


404 error. Forum signature not found. A group of highly trained dragons are in the process of locating it.
;
Zacshap21
Scratcher
100+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

So true, I noticed a couple times a forum topic from almost a year ago, but there was one recent post that said ‘yup, you’re right.'
davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

joshuaho 4 mod

Last edited by davidkt (May 29, 2014 19:53:08)


Remember when I looked like this? I still do.


Float, my Scratch 2.0 mod | My (somewhat under-construction) blog
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

davidkt wrote:

joshuaho 4 mod
Wow… thanks!

404 error. Forum signature not found. A group of highly trained dragons are in the process of locating it.
;
davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

joshuaho wrote:

davidkt wrote:

joshuaho 4 mod
Wow… thanks!
Welcome.

Remember when I looked like this? I still do.


Float, my Scratch 2.0 mod | My (somewhat under-construction) blog
weatherman115
Scratcher
500+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

Wuts an itopic

h
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

weatherman115 wrote:

Wuts an itopic
^^^That would be considered a necropost, but there is no such thing as necroposting on Itopics.

404 error. Forum signature not found. A group of highly trained dragons are in the process of locating it.
;
Tramcrazy
Scratcher
100+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

Good topic. I reported it to be stickeyed as I think it has enough importance.

-Tramcrazy
PS: Apologies for any errors in the above post.
Links:
The Commute: Test your mouse skills by getting the car to its destination.
Interactive characters: Converse with a pair of fictional character who react to what you say.
Magic 8 ball: What is your fortune?
Randomized mental maths test: Test your brain.

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like.

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

Tramcrazy wrote:

Good topic. I reported it to be stickeyed as I think it has enough importance.
No need for that. This topic is already in the list of ITopics, which is a sticky containing the list of helpful topics for Scratch.

404 error. Forum signature not found. A group of highly trained dragons are in the process of locating it.
;
Kal_Kal_Kal
Scratcher
100+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

What about “Bumping” and “Bump”
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

Kal_Kal_Kal wrote:

What about “Bumping” and “Bump”
It is just a phrase used for a new reply for bringing a topic back to the top of the forum.

404 error. Forum signature not found. A group of highly trained dragons are in the process of locating it.
;
goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

davidkt wrote:

joshuaho 4 mod
Agreed!

Where did time go?
derpmeup
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

davidkt wrote:

joshuaho 4 mod
joshuaho4 mod

hey bro that's a pretty good meme xD!
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

derpmeup wrote:

davidkt wrote:

joshuaho 4 mod
joshuaho4 mod
LOL thanks guys!

404 error. Forum signature not found. A group of highly trained dragons are in the process of locating it.
;
derpmeup
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

joshuaho wrote:

derpmeup wrote:

davidkt wrote:

joshuaho 4 mod
joshuaho4 mod
LOL thanks guys!

hey bro that's a pretty good meme xD!
Langdon35
Scratcher
500+ posts

ITopic - What is Necroposting and when should it be reported? [Guide]

I've been banned for necroposting before

I'm back with 1 year, 5 months, and 500+ posts!
And that's one more to my post counter! Yeah!

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile