Discuss Scratch

smartcutecandy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch Writing Camp 2017- Leader chat

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

Alrighty, here's the final schedule! I am not currently planning on doing the book club, but if somebody else would be interested in organizing that I still think it's a fun idea. The names beside all of these dates are the people who will be doing the writing prompt for that day. Basically just find/create a writing prompt and put it in the description of the main studio- there'll be a section for it similar to a QOTW. If for whatever reason you won't be available on that day, let me know and I'll switch things around.

June 19- Orientation day. 3 writing sprints (M), cabins assign writing buddies for the week. (Candylanguagegirl)
June 20- Writing sprint (M) (MintyBunBun)
June 21- Writing dare day! Ask for a dare in the main cabin. You can't give anybody else dares until you've completed yours. Writing sprint (M) (metallic123)
June 22- Writing sprint (M) (Smartcutecandy)
June 23- Word crawl (M) and writing sprint (M) (Ivypool2)
June 24- Check in day! Talk to your cabin about how much you've written, and share some of your favorite bits. Be active! (Littlepuppy14)
June 25- Re-assign writing buddies. Writing sprint (M). Cabin wars* begin! (oceanatic)
June 26- Word crawl (M) and writing sprint (M). Cabin wars* end. (Rainbow_waves)
June 27- Double point day! Every word you write today counts as double toward your cabin score.
(-Dreamer)
June 28- Take a breather! You've earned it. Submissions for the camp writing contest open today! (Lucy_Lu)
June 29- Writing dare day! Ask for a dare in the main cabin. You can't give anybody else dares until you've completed yours. Writing sprint (M) and word crawl (M). (Sciencekid90)
June 30- Slumber party! With a parent's permission, write at night. 3 writing sprints (M) (randomperson100)
July 1- Check in day! Talk to your cabin about how much you've written, and share some of your favorite bits. (Lucy_Lu)
July 2- Re-assign writing buddies. Writing sprint (M) (-Dreamer)
July 3- Writing dare day! Ask for a dare in the main cabin. You can't give anybody else dares until you've completed yours. Writing sprint (M) (Smartcutecandy)
July 4- Happy independence day! 2 writing sprints (M) and a patriotic word crawl (M) (?)
July 5- Writing sprint (M). Submissions for the camp writing contest close. (Rainbow_waves)
July 6- 50 headed hydras! Try to write 500 words in 5 minutes. (Littlepuppy14)
July 7- Final chance to submit word counts! Writing sprint (M) (Ivypool2)
July 8- Check in day/awards tally. (Candylanguagegirl)

*Cabin wars are a two-day event that takes place during camp. Each camper has the opportunity to present a challenge to a cabin that they're not in. Said challenge puts precious cabin word points on the line, and must be completed within a certain time frame. There will be 4 challenge options to choose from.
Cabin wars! Two separate people must write at least 100 words each within 4 hours. If not completed, your cabin loses 500 points.
Cabin wars! One person must write 500 words within the next 6 hours. If not completed, your cabin loses 600 points.
Cabin wars! 2,000 words must be written cumulatively by your cabin within the next 5 hours. If not completed, your cabin loses 1,500 points.
Cabin wars! Nobody can write anything towards a cabin wars challenge for an hour. If not completed, your cabin loses 100 points.
This looks great! I can't wait for camp! I just hope that our campers will stay active.

Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Alright, so, last-minute decision! You can now get points for your cabin by participating in activities! Each word you type is worth a point- the word points will be kept track of in your cabin. However, you can also pick up a few points for your cabin by participating in sprints/crawls/etc. I'll assign point values in the description and activity points will be kept track of in the main cabin. At the end of camp, the cabin with the most total points will be the camp champion!
XD I hope that makes sense. It really was a last-minute addition, but we weren't getting a lot of participants and I thought it would be a fun way to help boost the smaller cabins.
Let me know if you have any questions about how this will be scored.

~Fail spectacularly~
rainbow_waves
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

Alright, so, last-minute decision! You can now get points for your cabin by participating in activities! Each word you type is worth a point- the word points will be kept track of in your cabin. However, you can also pick up a few points for your cabin by participating in sprints/crawls/etc. I'll assign point values in the description and activity points will be kept track of in the main cabin. At the end of camp, the cabin with the most total points will be the camp champion!
XD I hope that makes sense. It really was a last-minute addition, but we weren't getting a lot of participants and I thought it would be a fun way to help boost the smaller cabins.
Let me know if you have any questions about how this will be scored.
Okay! And leaders can participate in events, right?
Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

rainbow_waves wrote:

Okay! And leaders can participate in events, right?
Yeppers! Participate away! XD

~Fail spectacularly~
Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Alright, guys! The writing contest judges will be officially announced on the 24th, but since it's mostly just leaders here…
The judges are going to be @ExperienceSea, @jromagnoli, and @Jiyiu.

~Fail spectacularly~
smartcutecandy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

Alright, guys! The writing contest judges will be officially announced on the 24th, but since it's mostly just leaders here…
Ooh! So exciting! The leaders can participate in the writing contest, right?

Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

smartcutecandy wrote:

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

Yeppers! That's why I tried to choose people who aren't already involved in camp.

~Fail spectacularly~
smartcutecandy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

smartcutecandy wrote:

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

Yeppers! That's why I tried to choose people who aren't already involved in camp.
Ah, great! I'm so excited!

Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Alright, quick check-in.
Leaders:
I will be leaving at around noon today and I won't be back until Saturday. Rainbow is in charge of the camp while I'm gone.
Judges:
You'll be judging on a few categories. There are four small ones- Plot, Characters, Style, and Poems- that will be worth 1,000 points each for the winners. There's also an overall winner, which will be worth 2,000 points. Each judge may also choose a personal favorite entry, and each of those people will receive 500 points for their team.
The maximum entry length is going to be 1,500 words.
I think that's it for now. I'll release the contest details tomorrow when I get back.

~Fail spectacularly~
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

Alright, quick check-in.
Leaders:
I will be leaving at around noon today and I won't be back until Saturday. Rainbow is in charge of the camp while I'm gone.
Judges:
You'll be judging on a few categories. There are four small ones- Plot, Characters, Style, and Poems- that will be worth 1,000 points each for the winners. There's also an overall winner, which will be worth 2,000 points. Each judge may also choose a personal favorite entry, and each of those people will receive 500 points for their team.
The maximum entry length is going to be 1,500 words.
I think that's it for now. I'll release the contest details tomorrow when I get back.
Gotcha

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 64%

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!
hehehe!Mytiptopsecrettopicidentifier!ahjdgggfhjadggahjsahasgdjfsdjfga

Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Alright, so I just realized that there's another schedule conflict that I was not aware of when I scheduled camp. Making it work out so that I'll still have garunteed internet access would require pushing it back to end on the 6th, and I'll be gone long enough that we can't just do the awards ceremony when I get back. So, what are your guy's thoughts? Should we shorten it two days, or do you want to keep it the same length and have somebody take over?

~Fail spectacularly~
smartcutecandy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

Alright, so I just realized that there's another schedule conflict that I was not aware of when I scheduled camp. Making it work out so that I'll still have garunteed internet access would require pushing it back to end on the 6th, and I'll be gone long enough that we can't just do the awards ceremony when I get back. So, what are your guy's thoughts? Should we shorten it two days, or do you want to keep it the same length and have somebody take over?
I'm actually in favor of shortening it. I'm going to be gone from the 7th through the 10th and it would be great if it ended on the 6th because I'd really of like to miss the last few days.

littlepuppy14
Scratcher
94 posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

If it is easier for you to shorten camp, I think that is fine. But maybe replace one check in day with what you were doing on the second-to-last day, to keep the writing going for as long as possible. Know what I mean?

Pick a letter, check it out! A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Wanna join a MAP?

sciencekid90
Scratcher
500+ posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

I agree with shortening. I know of at least two people who won't be here toward the end of camp, and I'm sure there are plenty more that no one knows about.
rainbow_waves
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

How long are you gone? If it's not too long, we could do the awards ceremony a couple days after camp ends.
Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

rainbow_waves wrote:

How long are you gone? If it's not too long, we could do the awards ceremony a couple days after camp ends.
I was thinking that, but the schedule's a little up in the air because I want to see friends at some point around the camp I'm going to. Probably between a week/week and a half, and I feel like that's just too long to make people wait.

~Fail spectacularly~
rainbow_waves
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

rainbow_waves wrote:

I was thinking that, but the schedule's a little up in the air because I want to see friends at some point around the camp I'm going to. Probably between a week/week and a half, and I feel like that's just too long to make people wait.
Yeah, that is a little long. I think you should cut it two days short, it's not really that much shorter, and if we'll be able to hear the results right away that sounds great. I do agree with LittlePuppy – chop one of the check in days out (my people were writing on that day anyway xD) and that way we only miss one day
ivypool2
Scratcher
56 posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

Personally I think that shortening would be the way to go; there are going to be a few people away for the last part of camp, as mentioned.

wнσ αм ι?мy ρrσƒιℓє

• i love to write, draw and play music ♡
• i am a feminist and a vegetarian ♡