Discuss Scratch

Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch Writing Camp 2017- Leader chat

Alright guys! I just got a new idea that I think might be really fun.
I think we should pick three varied books every week and host a sort of book club. After all, good writers are good readers.

We'll change the books up on the 22nd, the 29th, and the 5th. We don't necessarily have to have a specific day to discuss them, just whenever somebody's reading it.
I'm also talking quite varied. I was thinking for the first round we could do Out of my Mind (Sharon Draper, realistic fiction. 6+ ), The Mysterious Benedict Society (Trenton Lee Stewart, realistic fantasy/adventure. 8+ ), and Uprising (Haddix, historical fiction. 12+ ).

~Fail spectacularly~
sciencekid90
Scratcher
500+ posts

guess who forgot to follow the thread…

*follows*

EDIT:
Sorry, is this for just leaders or co-leaders too? And the book club sounds cool!

Last edited by sciencekid90 (May 29, 2017 17:58:35)

Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

sciencekid90 wrote:

guess who forgot to follow the thread…

*follows*

EDIT:
Sorry, is this for just leaders or co-leaders too? And the book club sounds cool!
It's for everybody!
Thanks!

~Fail spectacularly~
smartcutecandy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

I think we should pick three varied books every week and host a sort of book club. After all, good writers are good readers.

We'll change the books up on the 22nd, the 29th, and the 5th. We don't necessarily have to have a specific day to discuss them, just whenever somebody's reading it.
I'm also talking quite varied. I was thinking for the first round we could do Out of my Mind (Sharon Draper, realistic fiction. 6+ ), The Mysterious Benedict Society (Trenton Lee Stewart, realistic fantasy/adventure. 8+ ), and Uprising (Haddix, historical fiction. 12+ ).
I like that idea! I really need to read some of Margaret Haddix's books. I have one on my shelf, and I've heard really good things about them, but have yet to read them. So many books, so little time….
I also agree, good writers are good readers. I've never seen an author who hasn't read many, many books.

Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

smartcutecandy wrote:

I like that idea! I really need to read some of Margaret Haddix's books. I have one on my shelf, and I've heard really good things about them, but have yet to read them. So many books, so little time….
I also agree, good writers are good readers. I've never seen an author who hasn't read many, many books.
Alrighty, it's settled, then! Does anybody have book recommendations?
(Also, READ THEM. XD literally, Haddix is one of my favorite authors. Ever.)

Last edited by Candylanguagegirl (May 29, 2017 22:37:15)

~Fail spectacularly~
smartcutecandy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

smartcutecandy wrote:

I have two recommendations:

The Theodore Boone series by John Grisham. He's an adult mystery writer, but he wrote this series with kids in mind. It's clean, and they're really fast reads. The ways he describes crime aren't gruesome at all, so I think it would be good for kids 10+.

The Ruby Redford series by Lauren Child. I only read the first two books in this series, but one of my goals this summer is to re-read those two, and also read the rest of them. I loved how the mysteries in there were actually really complex, and not just some cliché crimes. They're a little more mature in my opinion, (reading level-wise,) so I think they'd be good for kids 11+.

(As you can see, I love mysteries. It's probably one of my favorite genres, next to sci-fi and dystopian. )

Last edited by smartcutecandy (May 30, 2017 03:25:08)

ivypool2
Scratcher
56 posts

smartcutecandy wrote:

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

smartcutecandy wrote:

The Theodore Boone series by John Grisham. He's an adult mystery writer, but he wrote this series with kids in mind. It's clean, and they're really fast reads. The ways he describes crime aren't gruesome at all, so I think it would be good for kids 10+.

The Ruby Redford series by Lauren Child. I only read the first two books in this series, but one of my goals this summer is to re-read those two, and also read the rest of them. I loved how the mysteries in there were actually really complex, and not just some cliché crimes. They're a little more mature in my opinion, (reading level-wise,) so I think they'd be good for kids 11+.

(As you can see, I love mysteries. It's probably one of my favorite genres, next to sci-fi and dystopian. )

Ooh, I absolutely love Ruby Redfort! I recently went to a Writer's Festival and saw Lauren Child speak about her books there! It was so cool! ^-^

wнσ αм ι?мy ρrσƒιℓє

• i love to write, draw and play music ♡
• i am a feminist and a vegetarian ♡
rainbow_waves
Scratcher
1000+ posts

smartcutecandy wrote:

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

smartcutecandy wrote:

AHHHHH Theodore Boone is sooo amazing! <33 Totally recommend it.
littlepuppy14
Scratcher
94 posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

I think that's a great idea!! And the books you picked (at least the first two, I haven't read the third but I really like the author) are very good too!

We should probably tell all of our campers about the books a little earlier on, in case they want to put the books on hold at the library, or get a head start. Oh, and maybe we could have a book list? For example, we could create a list of about 7 or so books, and each person could choose one book they wanted to read off of the list per week, then discuss with anyone else who read it too. But that might be too complicated. If you know me, I'm one for complicated ideas

Eee I'm so excited for this!

Pick a letter, check it out! A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Wanna join a MAP?

Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

littlepuppy14 wrote:

I think that's a great idea!! And the books you picked (at least the first two, I haven't read the third but I really like the author) are very good too!

We should probably tell all of our campers about the books a little earlier on, in case they want to put the books on hold at the library, or get a head start. Oh, and maybe we could have a book list? For example, we could create a list of about 7 or so books, and each person could choose one book they wanted to read off of the list per week, then discuss with anyone else who read it too. But that might be too complicated. If you know me, I'm one for complicated ideas

Eee I'm so excited for this!
Oooh, good point. I'll add that to the main cabin description in about a week.
Haha, I totally get what you're saying. Complicated ideas are amazingggg. I kinda like that idea, though- could you elaborate?

~Fail spectacularly~
littlepuppy14
Scratcher
94 posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

Oooh, good point. I'll add that to the main cabin description in about a week.
Haha, I totally get what you're saying. Complicated ideas are amazingggg. I kinda like that idea, though- could you elaborate?

Sounds good

Yessss. So, my idea is that we have a list of, say, seven books. Just for an example, we will call them Book A, Book B, and so on. They are a varied range of books the leaders/co-leaders decided on. Each week each camper will pick a book to read off of the list we put together. Let's say one camper goes with Book D. Another camper, in the same cabin, goes with Book D also. So, during/at the end of the week, the two will discuss Book D. Then, the next week, they pick a different book, maybe Book G, and discuss with others who read that one too. Make more sense? It's basically what you had, but with more books and more of an option. And, like I said, more complicated.

Pick a letter, check it out! A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Wanna join a MAP?

Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

littlepuppy14 wrote:

Sounds good

Yessss. So, my idea is that we have a list of, say, seven books. Just for an example, we will call them Book A, Book B, and so on. They are a varied range of books the leaders/co-leaders decided on. Each week each camper will pick a book to read off of the list we put together. Let's say one camper goes with Book D. Another camper, in the same cabin, goes with Book D also. So, during/at the end of the week, the two will discuss Book D. Then, the next week, they pick a different book, maybe Book G, and discuss with others who read that one too. Make more sense? It's basically what you had, but with more books and more of an option. And, like I said, more complicated.
I love it! But, with the condition that it's not a requirement, since I know some people don't have access to libraries and have to order books.

~Fail spectacularly~
littlepuppy14
Scratcher
94 posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

I love it! But, with the condition that it's not a requirement, since I know some people don't have access to libraries and have to order books.

True. Thanks!

Wanna join a MAP?

Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Alrighty, here's the final schedule! I am not currently planning on doing the book club, but if somebody else would be interested in organizing that I still think it's a fun idea. The names beside all of these dates are the people who will be doing the writing prompt for that day. Basically just find/create a writing prompt and put it in the description of the main studio- there'll be a section for it similar to a QOTW. If for whatever reason you won't be available on that day, let me know and I'll switch things around.

June 19- Orientation day. 3 writing sprints (M), cabins assign writing buddies for the week. (Candylanguagegirl)
June 20- Writing sprint (M) (MintyBunBun)
June 21- Writing dare day! Ask for a dare in the main cabin. You can't give anybody else dares until you've completed yours. Writing sprint (M) (metallic123)
June 22- Writing sprint (M) (Smartcutecandy)
June 23- Word crawl (M) and writing sprint (M) (Ivypool2)
June 24- Check in day! Talk to your cabin about how much you've written, and share some of your favorite bits. Be active! (Littlepuppy14)
June 25- Re-assign writing buddies. Writing sprint (M). Cabin wars* begin! (oceanatic)
June 26- Word crawl (M) and writing sprint (M). Cabin wars* end. (Rainbow_waves)
June 27- Double point day! Every word you write today counts as double toward your cabin score.
(-Dreamer)
June 28- Take a breather! You've earned it. Submissions for the camp writing contest open today! (Lucy_Lu)
June 29- Writing dare day! Ask for a dare in the main cabin. You can't give anybody else dares until you've completed yours. Writing sprint (M) and word crawl (M). (Sciencekid90)
June 30- Slumber party! With a parent's permission, write at night. 3 writing sprints (M) (randomperson100)
July 1- Check in day! Talk to your cabin about how much you've written, and share some of your favorite bits. (icansing)
July 2- Re-assign writing buddies. Writing sprint (M) (-Dreamer)
July 3- Writing dare day! Ask for a dare in the main cabin. You can't give anybody else dares until you've completed yours. Writing sprint (M) (Smartcutecandy)
July 4- Happy independence day! 2 writing sprints (M) and a patriotic word crawl (M) (TheFarEnd)
July 5- Writing sprint (M). Submissions for the camp writing contest close. (Rainbow_waves)
July 6- 50 headed hydras! Try to write 500 words in 5 minutes. (Littlepuppy14)
July 7- Final chance to submit word counts! Writing sprint (M) (Ivypool2)
July 8- Check in day/awards tally. (Candylanguagegirl)

*Cabin wars are a two-day event that takes place during camp. Each camper has the opportunity to present a challenge to a cabin that they're not in. Said challenge puts precious cabin word points on the line, and must be completed within a certain time frame. There will be 4 challenge options to choose from.
Cabin wars! Two separate people must write at least 100 words each within 4 hours. If not completed, your cabin loses 500 points.
Cabin wars! One person must write 500 words within the next 6 hours. If not completed, your cabin loses 600 points.
Cabin wars! 2,000 words must be written cumulatively by your cabin within the next 5 hours. If not completed, your cabin loses 1,500 points.
Cabin wars! Nobody can write anything towards a cabin wars challenge for an hour. If not completed, your cabin loses 100 points.

Last edited by Candylanguagegirl (June 18, 2017 12:36:34)

~Fail spectacularly~
MintyBunBun
Scratcher
35 posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

Alrighty, here's the final schedule! I am not currently planning on doing the book club, but if somebody else would be interested in organizing that I still think it's a fun idea. The names beside all of these dates are the people who will be doing the writing prompt for that day. Basically just find/create a writing prompt and put it in the description of the main studio- there'll be a section for it similar to a QOTW. If for whatever reason you won't be available on that day, let me know and I'll switch things around.

June 19- Orientation day. 3 writing sprints (M), cabins assign writing buddies for the week. (Candylanguagegirl)
June 20- Writing sprint (M) (MintyBunBun)
June 21- Writing dare day! Ask for a dare in the main cabin. You can't give anybody else dares until you've completed yours. Writing sprint (M) (metallic123)
June 22- Writing sprint (M) (Smartcutecandy)
June 23- Word crawl (M) and writing sprint (M) (Ivypool2)
June 24- Check in day! Talk to your cabin about how much you've written, and share some of your favorite bits. Be active! (Littlepuppy14)
June 25- Re-assign writing buddies. Writing sprint (M). Cabin wars* begin! (oceanatic)
June 26- Word crawl (M) and writing sprint (M). Cabin wars* end. (Rainbow_waves)
June 27- Double point day! Every word you write today counts as double toward your cabin score.
(-Dreamer)
June 28- Take a breather! You've earned it. Submissions for the camp writing contest open today! (Lucy_Lu)
June 29- Writing dare day! Ask for a dare in the main cabin. You can't give anybody else dares until you've completed yours. Writing sprint (M) and word crawl (M). (Sciencekid90)
June 30- Slumber party! With a parent's permission, write at night. 3 writing sprints (M) (randomperson100)
July 1- Check in day! Talk to your cabin about how much you've written, and share some of your favorite bits. (Lucy_Lu)
July 2- Re-assign writing buddies. Writing sprint (M) (-Dreamer)
July 3- Writing dare day! Ask for a dare in the main cabin. You can't give anybody else dares until you've completed yours. Writing sprint (M) (Smartcutecandy)
July 4- Happy independence day! 2 writing sprints (M) and a patriotic word crawl (M) (?)
July 5- Writing sprint (M). Submissions for the camp writing contest close. (Rainbow_waves)
July 6- 50 headed hydras! Try to write 500 words in 5 minutes. (Littlepuppy14)
July 7- Final chance to submit word counts! Writing sprint (M) (Ivypool2)
July 8- Check in day/awards tally. (Candylanguagegirl)

*Cabin wars are a two-day event that takes place during camp. Each camper has the opportunity to present a challenge to a cabin that they're not in. Said challenge puts precious cabin word points on the line, and must be completed within a certain time frame. There will be 4 challenge options to choose from.
Cabin wars! Two separate people must write at least 100 words each within 4 hours. If not completed, your cabin loses 500 points.
Cabin wars! One person must write 500 words within the next 6 hours. If not completed, your cabin loses 600 points.
Cabin wars! 2,000 words must be written cumulatively by your cabin within the next 5 hours. If not completed, your cabin loses 1,500 points.
Cabin wars! Nobody can write anything towards a cabin wars challenge for an hour. If not completed, your cabin loses 100 points.
What's a writing sprint? XD
Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

rainbow_waves wrote:

I'm assigned to a day that says writing sprint and word crawl – does that mean I have to come up with those in addition to a writing prompt?
No- just the writing prompt. I'll take care of the rest.

~Fail spectacularly~
ivypool2
Scratcher
56 posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

Alrighty, so I put together a detailed schedule for camp. I wasn't planning to share this until camp actually started, but since I'm still kinda unsure about my activity levels, I'll put it here so you guys have it if you need it. <3

New writing prompt every day!

June 19- Orientation day. 3 writing sprints (M), cabins assign writing buddies for the week.
June 20- Writing sprint (M)
June 21- Double point day! Every word you write today counts as double towards your team score.
June 22- Writing sprint (M)
June 23- Word crawl (M) and writing sprint (M)
June 24- Check in day! Talk to your cabin about how much you've written, and share some of your favorite bits.
June 25- Re-assign writing buddies. Writing sprint (M)
June 26- Writing dare day! Ask for a dare in the main cabin. You can't give anybody else dares until you've completed yours. Writing sprint (M)
June 27- Double point day! Every word you write today counts as double towards your team score.
June 28- Take a breather! You've earned it.
June 29- Word crawl (M) and writing sprint (M)
June 30- Slumber party! With a parent's permission, write at night. 3 writing sprints (M)
July 1- Check in day! Talk to your cabin about how much you've written, and share some of your favorite bits.
July 2- Re-assign writing buddies. Writing sprint (M)
July 3- Writing dare day! Ask for a dare in the main cabin. You can't give anybody else dares until you've completed yours. Writing sprint (M)
July 4- Happy independence day! 2 writing sprints (M) and a patriotic word crawl (M)
July 5- Writing sprint (M)
July 6- 50 headed hydras! Try to write 500 words in 5 minutes.
July 7- Final chance to submit word counts! Writing sprint (M)
July 8- Check in day/awards tally.
Awesome, looks good!

wнσ αм ι?мy ρrσƒιℓє

Candylanguagegirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ivypool2 wrote:

Awesome, looks good!
Great! (Also, haha, this isn't the updated schedule, just so you know. )

~Fail spectacularly~
ivypool2
Scratcher
56 posts

Candylanguagegirl wrote:

ivypool2 wrote:

Awesome, looks good!
Great! (Also, haha, this isn't the updated schedule, just so you know. )
(Yeah, I thought so!) xD

wнσ αм ι?мy ρrσƒιℓє