Discuss Scratch

bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

We've got “Counter Strike Source” in LAN Club now.
It's CSS with the CS1.6 models, maps and textures…

Game Over
You'll find me on @LastContinue from now on.
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

bybb wrote:

Reminds me of that time my school tried to install XP, put a 7 theme, and try to pass it off as 7. It did not work. They didn't even put the right boot screen (Vista screen instead of 7 one). They only did it on one laptop then they realised that wasn't going to happen.

Last edited by dude341 (April 2, 2019 18:15:14)

Placeholder
bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

dude341 wrote:

bybb wrote:

Reminds me of that time my school tried to install XP, put a 7 theme, and try to pass it off as 7. It did not work. They didn't even put the right boot screen (Vista screen instead of 7 one). They only did it on one laptop then they realised that wasn't going to happen.
Our IT team is made up of a whole one person right now.
Mr ____
Unlike Mr ______ he doesn't know how to fix things

Game Over
You'll find me on @LastContinue from now on.
vlpiscanc
Scratcher
500+ posts

School IT

herohamp wrote:

bybb wrote:

herohamp wrote:

Oh this is my favorite issue!

They show us all our grade by showing our school ID and our grades next to it! Using gmail you can turn the school id to there name ;P
We can't change our passwords. We have no way of changing them and they say if someone gets on your account all you have to do is email or tell a teacher! Yeah, because that teacher is going to go out of their way to tell Mr _____ and he's going to go out of his way to tell Mr ____ from tech support and he's going to go out of his way to stop browsing facebook and actually be useful for a while, but if he's gone the other useless one's going to go out of his way to remember to tell Mr ____ and then Mr ____ going to do it!

Yeah, something like that!

It took 4 DAYS for my password to get changed and that's after emailing the principal directly! And then, all tech support did was change the 4 numbers and change another character.
At least it will take 10003 tries to break my password.
Which could be done easily since there is NO WRONG PASSWORD TIME OUT.
All other passwords need 10000 tries to break the password.
Don't even get me started on my old school's passwords… it was {LastName}{FirstCharacterOfFirstName} all lowercase…

example: doej (john doe)

roblox account
If you are interested in playing pokemon unite with me, my friend code is C981MAG.
Meowlithius
Scratcher
51 posts

School IT

i was going to post this a while ago but i just forgot about it…

My school has 5 extensions three of which can block pages, one keylogs anything i write, another cast the screen (and access all tabs currently open), and (possibly) access the camera/mic. (though this can just be a scare tactic by the teachers. if it isn't that can easily cause a invasion of privacy if its accessed after school hours.)

If you feel 3.0 has been a bad experience and you have a PS4 please have a look at Dreams.
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

dude341 wrote:

snip snip windows is slow

linux

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
Meowlithius
Scratcher
51 posts

School IT

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

dude341 wrote:

linux
linux doesn't always help… even lighter distros (lubuntu, etc.) rarely actually speed the computer up. trust me linux will get slow.

Last edited by Meowlithius (April 3, 2019 18:58:39)

If you feel 3.0 has been a bad experience and you have a PS4 please have a look at Dreams.
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

dude341 wrote:

snip snip windows 7 is a decently good operating system, windows 10 is an unoptimised piece of rubbish made by a M$ employee's pet dog who accidentally stepped all over the keyboard

use whatever os you want, use linux if you want but most distros won't be compatible with your setup if you're a gamer
FTFY

Last edited by dude341 (April 3, 2019 20:28:04)

Placeholder
LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

My school IT is good. The computers at my school are mostly dell computers, but recently, new HP computers have been delivered to the school(they are good computers). He knows how to fix computers, and one time he fixed a overheating computer and then the fan for the computer sounded like a bee was inside the computer(lol). The IT team is led only by Mr _____. The only problem about the dell computers is that they can be slow at times and be very noisy(because of the fan).

I have about 3450 posts, 90 shared projects, 180 total created/followed topics, and 425 followers.

infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

LuckyLucky7 wrote:

My school IT is good. The computers at my school are mostly dell computers, but recently, new HP computers have been delivered to the school(they are good computers). He knows how to fix computers, and one time he fixed a overheating computer and then the fan for the computer sounded like a bee was inside the computer(lol). The IT team is led only by Mr _____. The only problem about the dell computers is that they can be slow at times and be very noisy(because of the fan).
Dell computers seem to be like that.
As a guy who works in school IT, I like that the Dell systems are generally user-servicable. That being said, they do really odd things, especially when it comes to power delivery. That is usually quite odd, and makes them more practical for school and business use than for home use in my opinion.

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
Wettining
Scratcher
500+ posts

School IT

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

dude341 wrote:

linux
I’d just wike to intewject fow a moment. What you’we wefewing to as linux, is in fact, OwO/linux, ow as i’ve wecentwy taken to cawwing it, OwO pwus linux. Linux is not an opewating system unto itsewf, but wathew anothew fwee component of a fuwwy functioning OwO system made usefuw by the OwO cowewibs, sheww utiwities and vitaw system components compwising a fuww os as defined by pawsix. Many computew usews wun a modified vewsion of the OwO system evewy day, without weawizing it. Thwough a pecuwiaw tuwn of events, the vewsion of OwO which is widewy used today is often cawwed “linux”, and many of its usews awe not awawe that it is basicawwy the OwO system, devewoped by the OwO pwoject. Thewe weawwy is a linux, and these peopwe awe using it, but it is just a pawt of the system they use. Linux is the kewnew: the pwogwam in the system that awwocates the machine’s wesouwces to the othew pwogwams that you wun. The kewnew is an essentiaw pawt of an opewating system, but usewess by itsewf; it can onwy function in the context of a compwete opewating system. Linux is nowmawwy used in combination with the OwO opewating system: the whowe system is basicawwy OwO with linux added, ow OwO/linux. Aww the so-cawwed “linux” distwibutions awe weawwy distwibutions of OwO/linux
Meowlithius
Scratcher
51 posts

School IT

Wettining wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

dude341 wrote:

linux
I’d just wike to intewject fow a moment. What you’we wefewing to as linux, is in fact, OwO/linux, ow as i’ve wecentwy taken to cawwing it, OwO pwus linux. Linux is not an opewating system unto itsewf, but wathew anothew fwee component of a fuwwy functioning OwO system made usefuw by the OwO cowewibs, sheww utiwities and vitaw system components compwising a fuww os as defined by pawsix. Many computew usews wun a modified vewsion of the OwO system evewy day, without weawizing it. Thwough a pecuwiaw tuwn of events, the vewsion of OwO which is widewy used today is often cawwed “linux”, and many of its usews awe not awawe that it is basicawwy the OwO system, devewoped by the OwO pwoject. Thewe weawwy is a linux, and these peopwe awe using it, but it is just a pawt of the system they use. Linux is the kewnew: the pwogwam in the system that awwocates the machine’s wesouwces to the othew pwogwams that you wun. The kewnew is an essentiaw pawt of an opewating system, but usewess by itsewf; it can onwy function in the context of a compwete opewating system. Linux is nowmawwy used in combination with the OwO opewating system: the whowe system is basicawwy OwO with linux added, ow OwO/linux. Aww the so-cawwed “linux” distributions awe weawwy distwibutions of OwO/linux
*Offtopic* When your the only one who can understand this… GNU/Linux you mean? I keow the joke. fuunee owo Yes Linux itself is a kernel. (not exactly the operating system, it's more like a program that the OS will load first to give it proper access to hardware.)

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

Meowlithius wrote:

*Offtopic* When your the only one who can understand this…
I'm guessing you must be new here, the “gnu plus linux” copypasta and it's variations are a common meme on the ATs and other places on the internet. We all understand what it means.
also, *you're

Last edited by dude341 (April 5, 2019 14:05:52)

Placeholder
agentt_
Scratcher
100+ posts

School IT

I'd just like to interject for a moment.

Who here has schools who can afford giant expansions and stuff, while they leave over-decade-old computers in both the computer labs and teachers possession

(basically just ‘who has a school that just lets the computer lab rot as the years go by’)
Wettining
Scratcher
500+ posts

School IT

agentt_ wrote:

Who here has schools who can afford giant expansions and stuff, while they leave over-decade-old computers in both the computer labs and teachers possession

(basically just ‘who has a school that just lets the computer lab rot as the years go by’)
It's hard to buy modern computers in bulk, especially now that after 1 year the hardware is already a generation behind.
The general consensus, at least that I've seen at schools in my area, is to buy a group of computers every half decade to decade and then replace the broken computers with those.
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

Wettining wrote:

agentt_ wrote:

It's hard to buy modern computers in bulk, especially now that after 1 year the hardware is already a generation behind.
The general consensus, at least that I've seen at schools in my area, is to buy a group of computers every half decade to decade and then replace the broken computers with those.
And schools don't really need nice computers generally. Some departments do, but a lot of times all that needs to run is a web browser and office software. Something 5 years old can do that just fine.

And the systems can be abused quite a bit.

infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

My high school got mad at people for installing Chrome and Firefox a few years back. They wanted to be only using IE. Some PCs were running IE8 soooooo yeah.

Molive
Scratcher
100+ posts

School IT

agentt_ wrote:

A good proportion of our computers have floppy drives.

Like, that must be part of an exploit for something I reckon.

“You're not a sailor?”
“No, I make money off of other people's talent.”
“…You're a project lead on a computer game?”
-The Curse Of Monkey Island

- TW9saXZlJ3Mgc2lnbmF0dXJlIGlzIHRoZSBCZXN0IFNpZ25hdHVyZSAg -

infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

Molive wrote:

agentt_ wrote:

A good proportion of our computers have floppy drives.

Like, that must be part of an exploit for something I reckon.
Probably budget.

TakiTakiplease
Scratcher
9 posts

School IT

My school It sucks. It has a Stupid Firewal, That does nothing.