School IT

bybb wrote:

ninjagolloyd wrote:

so I'm apparently technically an unpaid IT person lol
this man… THIS MAN
he walks in in the middle of class “is the smartboard working?”
teacher says “no”
he walks out looking all sad “ I'll have to think of something

he also installed Deep Freeze on the desktops that are used once a year because people bookmarked google docs

on that note, we're getting Chromebooks but we aren't allowed to sign into them (???) because “they aren't being assigned to you, they belong to the class”

oh yeah! we've also got a new server (dunno why… they don't run anything on the old one…)
this new server is pretty nice but the old one is still running.
so this man, this 300 iq person, thought it would be a GREAT idea to have the SAME software (which hasn't been updated since before I was born!) running on both servers at the same time. Not only that, but he's also running SonicWall on both. And he gave both THE SAME STATIC IP ADDRESS.

so yeah. he continually plugs it in during school “just to see what happens.” needless to say, he has no clue how to fix the wifi when it inevitably breaks. We also use Google Drive (and related things) on these gen 2 ipad minis, so you can see where this is going…
my essays have been deleted so many times… i haven't touched that ipad in two years, i just use whatever i can find

by the way, is there a Word replacement that isn't as strange as LibreOffice? I'm running Ubuntu

additionally, our school got some sort of contract with spectrum to have them come in to fix the wifi, but they're under the impression that they will fix EVERYTHING, from the computers being slow to the ethernet cord being SOLDERED INTO THE WALL.

they could just have me do it for free… I know what all the issues are, they are SO. BLATANTLY. OBVIOUS.
My school as 5 server cupboards as far as I'm aware. Each one of them has many servers inside and a few network switches.
old servers were poweredge somethingorothers and i want them but they're sitting in an old barn collecting dust

bean
ninjagolloyd
Scratcher
500+ posts

School IT

infinitytec wrote:

Wettining wrote:

agentt_ wrote:

I'd just like to interject for a moment.

Who here has schools who can afford giant expansions and stuff, while they leave over-decade-old computers in both the computer labs and teachers possession

(basically just ‘who has a school that just lets the computer lab rot as the years go by’)
It's hard to buy modern computers in bulk, especially now that after 1 year the hardware is already a generation behind.
The general consensus, at least that I've seen at schools in my area, is to buy a group of computers every half decade to decade and then replace the broken computers with those.
And schools don't really need nice computers generally. Some departments do, but a lot of times all that needs to run is a web browser and office software. Something 5 years old can do that just fine.

And the systems can be abused quite a bit.
but when the computers used in Drafting can't run AutoCAD

bean
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

ninjagolloyd wrote:

but when the computers used in Drafting can't run AutoCAD
more like AutoBAD

I'll see myself out

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

It appears that the Scratch forums are running on school computers right now, as it doesn't work.

Last edited by dude341 (April 7, 2019 21:13:30)

Placeholder
TM2125
Scratcher
500+ posts

School IT

dude341 wrote:

It appears that the Scratch forums are running on school computers right now, as it doesn't work.
XD

its me (the guy). he/him. you can call me leo, leon, or law
bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

RIp Scrtach forums.
Tiem to move to GP Blocks forum

Game Over
You'll find me on @LastContinue from now on.
jseeli
Scratcher
100+ posts

School IT

Sorry to interrupt but,

In our school, we have PCs in the computer lab and smartboards in each class. The PCs run Windows 7 and smartboards which run Windows 8.1. There is also a sticker on every smartboard which says “Don't upgrade to Windows 10. Some apps will not work.”. Our school upgraded the PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (Through the free upgrade offer I guess.). They also upgraded MS Office 2010 to Office 2013 (yay!). But, there were many issues. For starters, the PC took a looong time to load and login. also, there were some problems with the graphics as we could see some small red lines on the monitor. And many PCs got in to BSODs, “Startup Repair was unable to repair your PC” and the “Recovery: Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.”. So our school simply downgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 7! They still kept Office 2013 though.(But I could still see Office 2010 icons in Start which do not open.). And now Microsoft is going to discontinue Windows 7. (Honestly, they should do a fresh install of Windows 10 and not upgrade. I have a dell all in one which I upgraded to Windows 10 and it kept crashing and the CPU fan broke and the HDD too. So, we serviced it and downgraded to Windows 7. But Windows 7 is going to be discontinued so I did a fresh Install of Windows 10 and it works nicely)
jseeli
Scratcher
100+ posts

School IT

And our School Labs does not have Internet access. So earlier, we used to play the Chrome Dinosaur Game. But these days, when we open chrome, we get “Kaspersky Security Endpoint 7. This webpage has been blocked by your admin”
TM2125
Scratcher
500+ posts

School IT

jseeli wrote:

And our School Labs does not have Internet access. So earlier, we used to play the Chrome Dinosaur Game. But these days, when we open chrome, we get “Kaspersky Security Endpoint 7. This webpage has been blocked by your admin”
oof, chrome is blocked?

its me (the guy). he/him. you can call me leo, leon, or law
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

jseeli wrote:

I see a few problems:
-No Internet
-Kaspersky

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
jseeli
Scratcher
100+ posts

School IT

TM2125 wrote:

jseeli wrote:

oof, chrome is blocked?
Chrome is not blocked but Internet access for all PCs is blocked, so we will get the same error on IE or any browser in our computer lab network. Our smartboards dont get that error though

Last edited by jseeli (April 8, 2019 15:33:24)

jseeli
Scratcher
100+ posts

School IT

infinitytec wrote:

jseeli wrote:

I see a few problems:
-No Internet
-Kaspersky
I know many people who use Kaspersky, so I dont really think that as a problem. At least they are not using Protogent 360
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

infinitytec wrote:

jseeli wrote:

I see a few problems:
-No Internet
-Kaspersky
If you think Kaspersky is a “problem”, then there is an issue. I've used Kaspersky for years and have never had any problems. By saying Kaspersky has ties to the Russian government, you are basically believing conspiracy theories. Sorry, but that's really silly.

Also - Kaspersky has been ranked the #1 antivirus in security tests, so there is no way I'm not using it, no matter how many conspiracy theories about Kaspersky being Russian hackers I can see.

Last edited by dude341 (April 8, 2019 20:28:44)

Placeholder
bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

dude341 wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

jseeli wrote:

I see a few problems:
-No Internet
-Kaspersky
If you think Kaspersky is a “problem”, then there is an issue. I've used Kaspersky for years and have never had any problems. By saying Kaspersky has ties to the Russian government, you are basically believing conspiracy theories. Sorry, but that's really silly.

Also - Kaspersky has been ranked the #1 antivirus in security tests, so there is no way I'm not using it, no matter how many conspiracy theories about Kaspersky being Russian hackers I can see.
If you use Windows, use Windows Defender and MBAM when you know there's a problem (and get a good clean copy of CCleaner on a USB somewhere in case you ever need it). On Linux? If you use Linux in any way, shape or form, you should know how to not get viruses.

Game Over
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

bybb wrote:

dude341 wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

jseeli wrote:

I see a few problems:
-No Internet
-Kaspersky

If you use Windows, use Windows Defender and MBAM when you know there's a problem (and get a good clean copy of CCleaner on a USB somewhere in case you ever need it). On Linux? If you use Linux in any way, shape or form, you should know how to not get viruses.
Never use Defender, it interferes with things and it's just not good overall. I've even manually removed Defender from my copy of Windows 7 just because it gets in the way of things, even when it's turned off.
I do use MBAM Free but MBAM needs to be accompanied by a antivirus, specifically, a good one. With both a good antivirus like Kaspersky or <insert another high-rated antivirus here because I can't be bothered to search it up> and MBAM, you should be good to go.

I still can't believe that people think Kaspersky is connected to the Russian government. I'll believe it when I see it.

Placeholder
bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

dude341 wrote:

bybb wrote:

dude341 wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

jseeli wrote:

I see a few problems:
-No Internet
-Kaspersky

Never use Defender, it interferes with things and it's just not good overall. I've even manually removed Defender from my copy of Windows 7 just because it gets in the way of things, even when it's turned off.
I do use MBAM Free but MBAM needs to be accompanied by a antivirus, specifically, a good one. With both a good antivirus like Kaspersky or <insert another high-rated antivirus here because I can't be bothered to search it up> and MBAM, you should be good to go.

I still can't believe that people think Kaspersky is connected to the Russian government. I'll believe it when I see it.
I use Windows 10, which is supposed to be super bad and not once has Windows Defender interfered with anything I've been doing.

Game Over
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

bybb wrote:

I use Windows 10, which is supposed to be super bad and not once has Windows Defender interfered with anything I've been doing.
Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for other people.
There is certain things on my system that Defender doesn't like - for example, a few harmless joke programs, and also I've done the “sethc->cmd” modification so I can bring up the command prompt at any time, even during the logon screen (it's good for dealing with major malware infections, but often antivirus programs pick it up as a virus).

Last edited by dude341 (April 8, 2019 22:20:51)

Placeholder
Wettining
Scratcher
500+ posts

School IT

dude341 wrote:

bybb wrote:

dude341 wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

jseeli wrote:

I see a few problems:
-No Internet
-Kaspersky

What's MBAM? Is it like Norton's Power Eraser?
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

Wettining wrote:

What's MBAM? Is it like Norton's Power Eraser?
It's malwarebytes

Last edited by dude341 (April 8, 2019 22:58:22)

Placeholder
jseeli
Scratcher
100+ posts

School IT

jseeli wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

jseeli wrote:

I see a few problems:
-No Internet
-Kaspersky
I know many people who use Kaspersky, so I dont really think that as a problem. At least they are not using Protogent 360
Anyways, that wikipedia link says that they are just allegations. Allegations need not be true unless it is proven. So, I don't really think that they are really a problem. Plus, I dont know much about Kaspersky as I use McAfee Antivirus which works nicely. (But I dont like it enabling Secure Search as it always switches the search engine from Google to Yahoo)