Discuss Scratch

MCBRex
Scratcher
34 posts

make a scratch editor dark theme

CatsUnited wrote:

Support - I love having a dark mode on pretty much every program and website I use (with a few exceptions), so I think it'd be a good aesthetic choice as well as a good physical choice since dark mode would help your eyes rest a bit.
True, true. I also use dark mode on all the websites I can, pretty much. And it would help you mentally and physically, and it is a great aesthetic choice.

when darkmodeclicked

MCBRex
Writer | Dreamer | Thinker | Guitarist | Programmer | Reader |
Blog
Writing Site
MCBRex
Scratcher
34 posts

CatsUnited wrote:

MCBRex wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

DANISON wrote:

100% Support! It's proven to be healthier for your eyes and for your device's battery! :D

I wouldn't say about battery, but the eye part is true.

Yes, absolutely has my full support. I'm writing this quite late and the stark white is making my eyes tired…
Actually, dark mode would save battery– and here's some evidence. https://www.howtogeek.com/407860/heres-when-a-dark-theme-can-save-battery-power/
* If you have a device with an OLED screen (OLED screens are only widely available on phones)
Good point, good point, you got me there. But lots of Scratchers are mobile users, as well!

MCBRex
Blog
Writing Site
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MCBRex wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

MCBRex wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

DANISON wrote:

100% Support! It's proven to be healthier for your eyes and for your device's battery! :D

I wouldn't say about battery, but the eye part is true.

Yes, absolutely has my full support. I'm writing this quite late and the stark white is making my eyes tired…
Actually, dark mode would save battery– and here's some evidence. https://www.howtogeek.com/407860/heres-when-a-dark-theme-can-save-battery-power/
* If you have a device with an OLED screen (OLED screens are only widely available on phones)
Good point, good point, you got me there. But lots of Scratchers are mobile users, as well!
But, not all of them would have OLED screens. They're really only available on newer mobile devices.
And there are a few computer monitors, laptops and TVs with OLED screens, but they are really expensive and have lower reliability than standard LED screens.
Also the reason why battery saving with dark screens only works with OLED is because in an LED screen, the backlight is turned on for all of the pixels all of the time, while an OLED screen only needs the backlight on for the pixels that are being used (not black), hence why the blacks on an OLED screen are truly black - because nothing on that portion of the screen is turned on.

bottom text
imdarealboss
Scratcher
11 posts

dark mode will really help a lot of people with sensitive eyes you dont have to make it perminate just a setting!

IMDAREALBOSS
|Dont forget to check out my profile and look at my projects|
https://scratch.mit.edu/
MCBRex
Scratcher
34 posts

Also, and I know this is off-topic, but how do I add a signature? Sorry.

MCBRex
Blog
Writing Site
BlueStarPort
Scratcher
100+ posts

MCBRex wrote:

There is a button saying “Change Signature” at the bottom left of the Discussion Forums Homepage.
100TH POST!
imdarealboss
Scratcher
11 posts

when green flag clicked
say [do dark mode!]

IMDAREALBOSS
MCBRex
Scratcher
34 posts

BlueStarPort wrote:

MCBRex wrote:

There is a button saying “Change Signature” at the bottom left of the Discussion Forums Homepage.
100TH POST!
Thank you! Although I just learned how to do this before, thank you! Never mind. XD

MCBRex
Blog
Writing Site
MCBRex
Scratcher
34 posts

BlueStarPort wrote:

MCBRex wrote:

100TH POST!
Thank you! Although I just learned how to do this before, thank you! Never mind. XD

MCBRex
Blog
Writing Site
MCBRex
Scratcher
34 posts

imdarealboss wrote:

when green flag clicked
say [do dark mode!]
Yes, but please be constructive in what you say, rather than saying “Support” or “#WeWantDarkMode” or anything like that.

MCBRex
Blog
Writing Site
imdarealboss
Scratcher
11 posts

BlueStarPort wrote:

MCBRex wrote:

100TH POST!
where?

IMDAREALBOSS
DaBoi001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Dark mode should exist. i can't see some text to it being bright.
when I receive [ Looking at white v]
say [I can't see!] for (2) secs

Last Edited by kaj (Tomorrow 00:00:00)
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
around 2300 posts

I don't use Scratch all that much. I only hop on the forums and stuff. I make stuff on Unity and 3D model now.

“All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR * LEMONS! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! With the LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”
- Cave Johnson
DaBoi001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

imdarealboss wrote:

BlueStarPort wrote:

MCBRex wrote:

100TH POST!
where?
Go to discussion home

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
around 2300 posts

I don't use Scratch all that much. I only hop on the forums and stuff. I make stuff on Unity and 3D model now.

“All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR * LEMONS! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! With the LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”
- Cave Johnson
DaBoi001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

imdarealboss wrote:

dark mode will really help a lot of people with sensitive eyes you dont have to make it perminate just a setting!
I have sesitive eyes! i can't see your text good

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
around 2300 posts

- Cave Johnson
MinecraftGod497
New to Scratch
3 posts

This would be really good and make scratch look sleeker it may also make scratch look less childish.
It would also be good as if you are making a project for a long time then your eyes wouldnt hurt.
coolscratchboy300
Scratcher
26 posts

i think it would be best to add it
i don't want glasses!
when green flag clicked
say [WE WANT DARK MODE!] for (2) secs

Hello. I used to use scratch to make games but now I try to make interesting stuff like 3D, Mode 7, Raycasting etc.
cautios
Scratcher
2 posts

I'm sure many scratchers use scratch late into the night working on projects so dark mode would be useful for a lot of people
FastFunnyz
Scratcher
1 post

I would really like dark mode, because I often use scratch at night. it would be easier on my eyes.
SuperCanon20
Scratcher
67 posts

FastFunnyz wrote:

I would really like dark mode, because I often use scratch at night. it would be easier on my eyes.

Yea @FastFunnyz, it would be cool for that. I use it anytime of the day, and it would be better. I agree.

GullumIncComicz
Scratcher
100+ posts

okay so lets do a reenactment of me on scratch

Me: oh boy im gonna make my biggest project ever
*opens scratch*
Me: OH GOD ITS A SUPERNOVA- oh wait its just scratch

yeah support

Generation 1. Copy and paste this into your siggy, then increase the generation by 1. Then say you continued the generation on @GullumIncComicz profile and the number of your generation. If your generation was already commented, then remove this from your siggy.