Discuss Scratch

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Osomatsu-san (And Osomatsu-kun) Topic

I swear at least half of this thread is my posts and bumps. We need more Akatsuka community on scratch.

I am but a simple cartooning reindeer who loves Fujio Akatsuka.
BaconAndEggs1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ArimoTheReindeer wrote:

I swear at least half of this thread is my posts and bumps. We need more Akatsuka community on scratch.
Not overly familiar with his work sadly, just here for San posts (which is a tad overrated, but still very good). Speaking of which, there is a LOT of merch for that show in Japan. It already has three confirmed video games, a stage show and even an expo dedicated to it (not even Osomatsu-kun thrown in there AFAIK, just San by itself).
In retrospect also, I think Osomatsu-san actually made me laugh more when it had punchlines that were more outlandish and sudden and didn't stretch out jokes or dialogue (which it rarely did). I'm a big fan of The Eric Andre Show and its humour is much like that I just described, so linking it to Osomatsu-san helped me to more easily find what issues I had with it. Yes, my idea of humour is indeed a YouTube Poop.

Last edited by BaconAndEggs1 (Oct. 8, 2016 21:39:35)

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BaconAndEggs1 wrote:

ArimoTheReindeer wrote:

Not overly familiar with his work sadly, just here for San posts (which is a tad overrated, but still very good). Speaking of which, there is a LOT of merch for that show in Japan. It already has three confirmed video games, a stage show and even an expo dedicated to it (not even Osomatsu-kun thrown in there AFAIK, just San by itself).
In retrospect also, I think Osomatsu-san actually made me laugh more when it had punchlines that were more outlandish and sudden and didn't stretch out jokes or dialogue (which it rarely did). I'm a big fan of The Eric Andre Show and its humour is much like that I just described, so linking it to Osomatsu-san helped me to more easily find what issues I had with it. Yes, my idea of humour is indeed a YouTube Poop.
Osomatsu-san DOES make me actually laugh more, but I prefer Osomatsu-kun from an Akatsuka fan's perspective. (That's an incredibly biased reason, I realize.) I've really been slacking on watching it and find myself always watching episodes of Osomatsu-kun 1988. I've still only finished through only the first cour of Osomatsu-san. Should I expect it to go down from there? I recall you saying you preferred the first half and that it kinda derailed in its second cour.

BaconAndEggs1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ArimoTheReindeer wrote:

Osomatsu-san DOES make me actually laugh more, but I prefer Osomatsu-kun from an Akatsuka fan's perspective. (That's an incredibly biased reason, I realize.) I've really been slacking on watching it and find myself always watching episodes of Osomatsu-kun 1988. I've still only finished through only the first cour of Osomatsu-san. Should I expect it to go down from there? I recall you saying you preferred the first half and that it kinda derailed in its second cour.
Taste differs, so I can't say for certain. I did personally find the second cour to be weaker overall save a couple of episodes and bits. I'd say not to really expect it though.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I pose an important question.
If Osomatsu-san is meant to follow the canon of the 1966 anime as shown in the first episode, then how can Iyami recall being the protagonist with Chibita at some point?
Also, they met Esper Nyanko in the 60s anime, and he wasn't in the 80s one, and now they meet him in Osomatsu-san all over again.
Continuity errors, continuity errors everywhere. I'm not bashing the show or anything it's just something I always think about

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have to bump this again….what else is new

-CreatorOfDreams-
Scratcher
52 posts

A few months ago my friend made a shirt with Karamatsu's face on it and wore it every day on the last week of school, it was beautiful.

Berrystraw242
Scratcher
100+ posts

-CreatorOfDreams- wrote:

A few months ago my friend made a shirt with Karamatsu's face on it and wore it every day on the last week of school, it was beautiful.
oh my goodness that is beauty

im adrien but u can call me dadbert if u want
lov the cronch
ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Berrystraw242 wrote:

-CreatorOfDreams- wrote:

oh my goodness that is beauty
Sounds utterly painful.

BaconAndEggs1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

YukiteruAmano wrote:

I finished the Osomatsu-san specials yesterday ;o
Which ones were they? (I didn't know there were specials.)

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BaconAndEggs1 wrote:

YukiteruAmano wrote:

I finished the Osomatsu-san specials yesterday ;o
Which ones were they? (I didn't know there were specials.)
I've only seen the “Only Sheehs” one with the puppets. Haha, worth it.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm working on an epic project: Fujio Akatsuka Doremifa Rondo. Let's just say the matsus and friends will be featured prominently!

BaconAndEggs1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ArimoTheReindeer wrote:

I'm working on an epic project: Fujio Akatsuka Doremifa Rondo. Let's just say the matsus and friends will be featured prominently!
Looking forward to it!

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I want to kick off some sort of conversation here, so here's some Osomatsu opinions, a lot of which are uncommon.
Iyami is the best character. My favorite, but there are a lot of characters I love near as much
Totoko is the worst character. Sounds harsh when I put it that way….she's the only character I don't like
Dayon and Dekapan are a cute ship.
Hatabou and Chibita are a cute ship.
Iyami and Chibita are a very, VERY cute ship.
Esper Nyanko should've been a main or at least recurring character in Osomatsu-kun, not just a one off. He is recurring in Osomatsu-san, so better late than never I guess?
Osomatsu-kun should've had a crossover with Tensai Bakabon.
In the 1988 series, the sextuplets are the antagonists. Iyami and Chibita are innocent.

BaconAndEggs1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ArimoTheReindeer wrote:

Totoko is the worst character. Sounds harsh when I put it that way….she's the only character I don't like.
I don't have any problems with Totoko, but I can see what you mean. I found her absolutely hilarious in episode 24 of San though.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BaconAndEggs1 wrote:

ArimoTheReindeer wrote:

Totoko is the worst character. Sounds harsh when I put it that way….she's the only character I don't like.
I don't have any problems with Totoko, but I can see what you mean. I found her absolutely hilarious in episode 24 of San though.
Totoko is just a giant token in my eyes. She has no purpose at all and I can't think of a single instance where I was on her side. She was tolerable in Osomatsu-kun, but if you ask me, her Osomatsu-san incarnation is unbearable. I just now am realizing this is what everyone says about my favorite character hahah

PonyoPenguin
Scratcher
500+ posts

Figured you guys would be interested in knowing this: the first official English home video release of anything in the Osomatsu franchise will be coming out in Australia on December 7th.

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/38103/mr-osomatsu-collection-subtitled-edition

Last edited by PonyoPenguin (Oct. 25, 2016 11:48:12)

do what makes you happy.
'cause at the end, who's there?
you.
BaconAndEggs1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PonyoPenguin wrote:

Figured you guys would be interested in knowing this: the first official English home video release of anything in the Osomatsu franchise will be coming out in Australia on December 7th.

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/38103/mr-osomatsu-collection-subtitled-edition
Awesome! Hopefully I can get to buying it!

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BaconAndEggs1 wrote:

PonyoPenguin wrote:

Awesome! Hopefully I can get to buying it!
Jeez, I forgot how expensive anime DVDs were. AND I'm not in the Australian DVD region and I'm pretty sure my DVD player isn't a region free one.
But still, this is nice news! It's no 1988 box set, but it's progress! I would like to own this!
Even if the logo font is really cringey, it would be a nice series to own.
This is a bit of an odd analogy, but Osomatsu-san feels like the kind of DVD you'd pop in at a sleepover and have it play in the background while you do other things, laughing at it every once in a while. Sounds fun.

Last edited by ArimoTheReindeer (Oct. 25, 2016 12:53:02)

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I feel like I have to make a post about this.
On October 20th, 2016, Kaneta Kimotsuki passed away at the age of 80. Among many notable roles was Iyami in the 1988-1989 anime. He was definitely my favorite iteration of Iyami and gave an amazing vocal performance to bring him to life. Now it actually makes me glad he didn't reprise his role for Osomatsu-san, because that would mean that in the potential season 2, he would have to be replaced. He never retired and the last media to be featuring his voice will be the most recent Anpanman film. I also loved Kaneta Kimotsuki as Suneo Honekawa from Doraemon….

Last edited by ArimoTheReindeer (Nov. 2, 2016 12:27:01)