Discuss Scratch

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Osomatsu-san (And Osomatsu-kun) Topic

YukiteruAmano wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

Guess who just watched episode 7 of the 80s series and is now emotionally unstable!
Dude, where'd you find episode 7 at?
YouTube, subtitled by the user Iyami zansu. Bring your tissues. It's an emotional one.

I am but a simple cartooning reindeer who loves Fujio Akatsuka.
MSPA
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm actually watching the 1988 version of Osomatsu-Kun with subtitles by Iyami Zansu right now.

I'm on Episode 2.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MSPA wrote:

I'm actually watching the 1988 version of Osomatsu-Kun with subtitles by Iyami Zansu right now.

I'm on Episode 2.
Yesss! Awesome! No one ever really cares about -kun very much so that makes me very happy, actually!

On another note, what do you guys think Fujio Akatsuka would've thought about Osomatsu-san? I mean, I'm sure he'd be disgusted of all the matsucest, that's a given. But what do you think his opinion would've been on the show itself? Would he have liked it? I'm not so sure. It's so different from his original work, but it's by no means a bad show.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Check it out, someone uploaded the FULL version of the 1988 ending theme, Osomatsu Ondo, just yesterday! It's in AMAZING quality!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vEzGPMvaYAg
There are some Fujio Akatsuka tribute records and CDs, so I'm assuming that's what it's ripped from.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

YukiteruAmano wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

MSPA wrote:

I'm on Episode 2.
Yesss! Awesome! No one ever really cares about -kun very much so that makes me very happy, actually!

On another note, what do you guys think Fujio Akatsuka would've thought about Osomatsu-san? I mean, I'm sure he'd be disgusted of all the matsucest, that's a given. But what do you think his opinion would've been on the show itself? Would he have liked it? I'm not so sure. It's so different from his original work, but it's by no means a bad show.
Ah, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't like it, but at least someone acknowledged his existence enough to make another version. Have you started watching -san yet? I have time to watch -kun tonight, so I promise I'll do it. And if I don't, you can yell at me XD.
I'm going to listen to that, as well :3
You know a lot about -kun, you know. It's kinda scary.
Hm, I still have yet to watch -san, but I've seen enough clips and such to get a taste of what it is pretty much. It's so different than its source material that I find it quite unfair to compare them with each other. All three animes have this weird timestamp on them. What I mean is that you can tell that the two -kuns are from the 60s and 80s and that -San is from the tens, but they still seem timeless enough. I feel like -kun was much more timeless though, as -San has references to modern anime and stuff like that, but then again that's me critiquing on something I've yet to watch, so take it with a grain of salt. My headcanon is that the canon timeline is this: Osomatsu-kun, Osomatsu-san, Osomatsu-kun grows up 1993, and finally Osomatsu-kun grows up 1965. Ten years between each one. Of course that's just a headcanon.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

YukiteruAmano wrote:

I don't think watching -san will ruin -kun's reputation at all, they're all entirely different. -San doesn't really fit in with anime these days because there aren't really any specific tropes in the anime that we always see in modern anime. It's definitely more modern considering there are dirty jokes and all, but a lot of people don't watch it simply because the animation is so… simple? You should watch funny Karamatsu moments, they're great. The only parody episode in -san is episode one… the entire series otherwise is just original. There are always different scenarios as to how the sextuplets grew up from -kun, and -san is just them as sleazy, lazy guys.
I have to nod towards -San for introducing a western audience to the source material. I hadn't heard of it at all before -San came out honestly, and after looking into Akatsuka's other work (none of which I can find in English except the Osomatsu franchise!) I have to tip my hat. Credit where credit's due, from everything I've seen, it is a truly funny show and it's enough of a standalone adaptation/continuation that it stands by itself without leaning on its predecessor. I guess you could say I talk an awful lot about a show I haven't even watched a complete episode of, but I've seen lots of clips and such, and I've seen so much Osomatsu on my IG feed that it's why I decided to dive into the franchise. I promise I'll sit down and watch it soon, and then I'll give my full thoughts and opinions once I'm done with it.
(Sorry if I sound biased and/or like a know it all. I'm just basing opinions on what I already know.)

Last edited by ArimoTheReindeer (Aug. 3, 2016 21:15:23)

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

*galactic punt*
I know it's not Osomatsu but it's Fujio Akatsuka so I guess it sorta belongs here.
These Bakabon converse.
I want to like, cry. They're on eBay.

Last edited by ArimoTheReindeer (Aug. 9, 2016 18:29:54)

NanoRook
Scratcher
1000+ posts

spot the protagonist

I LOVE BEING PURPLE!!!! JOIN THE PURPLE COALITION TODAY IF YOU ALSO LOVE BEING PURPLE. PURPLE IS THE NEW BLUE! PURPLE IS THE SUPERIOR NAVBAR COLOR! YYYEAAHHHHH BABY!!!!

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NanoRook wrote:

spot the protagonist
they're all the protagonist pretty much, but the title character is the red one

BaconAndEggs1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NanoRook wrote:

spot the protagonist
i don't see him there-

oh, there he is

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BaconAndEggs1 wrote:

NanoRook wrote:

spot the protagonist
i don't see him there-

oh, there he is
*INFINITE CLAPPING, STANDING OVATION*
R.I.P. Iyami as the protagonist 1988-1989 I will forever miss you my husband

NanoRook
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WeeabooForever wrote:

BaconAndEggs1 wrote:

NanoRook wrote:

spot the protagonist
i don't see him there-

oh, there he is

I LOVE BEING PURPLE!!!! JOIN THE PURPLE COALITION TODAY IF YOU ALSO LOVE BEING PURPLE. PURPLE IS THE NEW BLUE! PURPLE IS THE SUPERIOR NAVBAR COLOR! YYYEAAHHHHH BABY!!!!

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NanoRook wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

But look how cute he is!

NanoRock
Scratcher
32 posts

WeeabooForever wrote:

NanoRook wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

snip

But look how cute he is!

I'd like the people to know that I am the sole proprietor of this piece and I would respect it if the mods would delete this as OP didn't have my permission to post this. In fact, I told him not to post it. I am currently reading wikihow to learn how to sue someone copyright infringement if this stays here. OP has been known to post copyrighted works in the past and THIS MUST STOP.
ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mascot Iyami makes me ridiculously happy and it needs to stop

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

YukiteruAmano wrote:

NanoRock wrote:

That guy's from Ren and Stimpy, lmao.
Actually, he's from Catdog.
Sorry I'm an aspiring animator I know my cartoons

Last edited by ArimoTheReindeer (Aug. 11, 2016 01:48:47)

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I watched the first 2 episodes of -San. It's a pretty good show so far.
I can tell that Shonosuke Hijirisawa is a more common character in the reboot, but I've literally only seen him once in -kun, in the very first episode of the 60s series. (He was the dog.)

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

YukiteruAmano wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

I watched the first 2 episodes of -San. It's a pretty good show so far.
I can tell that Shonosuke Hijirisawa is a more common character in the reboot, but I've literally only seen him once in -kun, in the very first episode of the 60s series. (He was the dog.)
Ooh, yay! I got my brother slightly into it, too. Who do you like best? Karamatsu is my baby.
What's with the Shonosuke guy? I don't remember him in the first episode, haha.
Update: I've now watched episode 3, and I officially love it. The quiz show skit had me absolutely breathless and roaring with laughter, oh man. My favorite brother is Jyushimatsu! He's just so cute and bouncy and floaty. Also, with Shonosuke, he was in episode 1 of the 60s series in a skit where he dressed up as a dog and robbed the sextuplets' house. That's literally the only time I've seen him in the original.

Last edited by ArimoTheReindeer (Aug. 12, 2016 02:20:38)

BaconAndEggs1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WeeabooForever wrote:

Update: I've now watched episode 3, and I officially love it. The quiz show skit had me absolutely breathless and roaring with laughter, oh man. My favorite brother is Jyushimatsu! He's just so cute and bouncy and floaty. Also, with Shonosuke, he was in episode 1 of the 60s series in a skit where he dressed up as a dog and robbed the sextuplets' house. That's literally the only time I've seen him in the original.
Episode three was hilarious and pretty much solidified my appreciation for the first half of the show. (The Saw sketch made me laugh pretty hard, even if the whole set-up of the joke was pretty simple.) Just a heads-up though, there aren't going to be any other similar sketch-styled episodes for the rest of it. There will be episodes that have small segments in the same sort of vein, but nothing purely like episode three.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BaconAndEggs1 wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

Episode three was hilarious and pretty much solidified my appreciation for the first half of the show. (The Saw sketch made me laugh pretty hard, even if the whole set-up of the joke was pretty simple.) Just a heads-up though, there aren't going to be any other similar sketch-styled episodes for the rest of it. There will be episodes that have small segments in the same sort of vein, but nothing purely like episode three.
I really loved the format of episode 3. It's a shame that there aren't any more episodes formatted that way. I'm a sucker for sketch comedy, so it was just up my alley. For some reason, aside from the quiz skit, I found the bed skit to be quite hilarious. Ichimatsu's fart made me laugh very hard for some reason.