ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Osomatsu-san (And Osomatsu-kun) Topic

YukiteruAmano wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

BaconAndEggs1 wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

Update: I've now watched episode 3, and I officially love it. The quiz show skit had me absolutely breathless and roaring with laughter, oh man. My favorite brother is Jyushimatsu! He's just so cute and bouncy and floaty. Also, with Shonosuke, he was in episode 1 of the 60s series in a skit where he dressed up as a dog and robbed the sextuplets' house. That's literally the only time I've seen him in the original.
Episode three was hilarious and pretty much solidified my appreciation for the first half of the show. (The Saw sketch made me laugh pretty hard, even if the whole set-up of the joke was pretty simple.) Just a heads-up though, there aren't going to be any other similar sketch-styled episodes for the rest of it. There will be episodes that have small segments in the same sort of vein, but nothing purely like episode three.
I really loved the format of episode 3. It's a shame that there aren't any more episodes formatted that way. I'm a sucker for sketch comedy, so it was just up my alley. For some reason, aside from the quiz skit, I found the bed skit to be quite hilarious. Ichimatsu's fart made me laugh very hard for some reason.
Remind me what happened at the so called “bed skit”? When did Ichi fart? XD
It's the one where Choromatsu can't sleep because of things all the other brothers are doing. Then it's quiet for like a solid five seconds…and Ichimatsu farts. Had me breathless.

I am but a simple cartooning reindeer who loves Fujio Akatsuka.
BaconAndEggs1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cool Osomatsu-san questions thing I found. Feel free to participate in it.

BaconAndEggs1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Personal answers:
1. Ichimatsu.
2. Tied between Iyami and Totoko.
3. Least favourite of them all? Er, that's a tough one. I don't really have one honestly.
4. choromatsu can go eat churros #savageroastthatdoesntmakeanysense
5. Some time in early May, shortly after the series had finished.
6. Nope, though I would like some.
7. No, too hard for me to get them in this country through the only means available.
8. Not yet, planning to.
9. Relating to? Again, not really any.
10. Up until maybe the episode where their mother decides which of them she takes care of. I was really struggling before then.
11. Ichi, Jyushi, Kara, Todo, Oso, Choro. (I know Choro's innocent, but HE SUFFERS BEFORE MY HAND A HA HA)
12. Because I'd seen quite a few people who were fans of Osomatsu-san. It was mostly an online friend of mine who kept posting about the show constantly.
13. Nope.
14. I would have liked it a lot more had the humour not run its course over several episodes.
15. While both are very good, I personally prefer the first one.
16. The second one, I think. I've never paid too much attention to either of them.
17. Though there were quite a few really strong ones I would have also put in the running, episodes 3 and 11 are tied for my absolute favourite. In terms of segments, episode 19's Period Drama Osomatsu-san.
18. The very first episode that was never put on the DVD release? Even as somebody who didn't know any of the characters and began on an episode requiring the most knowledge of them as possible, it was hilarious.
19. All of the F6 segments I've seen are really great lampoons of anime tropes, so yeah.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Looks fun! I'm gonna do it, but some questions will be left unanswered or pending because I haven't finished -San.
1. Jyushimatsu
2. IYAMI ALL THE WAY! But I also love -kun era Chibita (his -san version hasn't really clicked with me) and Hatabou.
3. Shonosuke. Not that I don't like him, it's just that he's not particularly interesting.
4. I don't think I have one. I admire all their charms. There's just some I prefer over others.
5. As for -kun, a month or two ago. -San, just a few nights ago.
6. Not yet, sadly! I'd love to have some!
7. I played money wars for a few days, but I got really bored with it. It's basically Ten Billion Wives with new objectives and a new skin, so…*shrug*
8. YES! That's where I started!
9. Not really any of them, but I guess Ichi, Choro, and Jyushi are the closest to relatable. That's kinda sad wow.
10. Right away, since I had seen so much fan art, memes, etc. of them.
11. Jyushimatsu, Choromatsu, Ichimatsu, Osomatsu, Todomatsu, Karamatsu (sorry all you Kara fans *shrug*)
12. Mostly because all of the Internet hype surrounding it, and because I have a bit of a soft spot/aesthetic for old anime and more western-looking anime. It just seemed interesting so I finally dove into it.
13. If this means the original Osomatsu-kun, yes. I've read a few chapters. If it means the new -San manga, the answer is no.
14. Haven't finished it so this answer is to be announced
15. I'm going to be going by both -kun and -san for these since I haven't seen both openings as endings for -San yet. For openings, my favorites are the first 60s opening, the 80s opening and so far the first -San opening because of its awesome visuals. Seriously, as an aspiring cartoonist/animator, that stuff is drool worthy to watch.
16. I love Osomatsu Ondo (80s) but Six Same Faces is clinging to me. HEAR THAT, BRAIN? I'D RATHER GO MORE THAN FIVE MINUTES WITHOUT HEARING IYAMI SINGING IN MY HEAD.
17. So far, episode 3 is still being my favorite for its format and laugh-out-loud jokes, containing the quiz show and bed segments, but this answer is pending.
18. Ah yes, the banned episode 1. It was….enh, it was alright. Credit where credit's due, the 60s animation recreation was pretty much spot on, and I like the idea of the characters being worried they aren't modern enough. The parodies were…funny and all, but I just found it to drag on for some reason. But Titan Chibita's tiny umm….that made me laugh.
19. F6 isn't really my favorite. Sorry.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

YukiteruAmano wrote:

3. Who is your least favorite character? Iyami. He's just so annoooooying.
*clenches fist, veins pop* Umm, erm, I think I might've misheard you. WHAT did you just say?

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

YukiteruAmano wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

YukiteruAmano wrote:

*clenches fist, veins pop* Umm, erm, I think I might've misheard you. WHAT did you just say?
Hey, you said your least favorite sextuplet is Karamatsu.
I mean, yeah, but…he's just not my type, and….f-fine! If you don't understand the charm of a victimized buck toothed conman with speech impediments, then I will.
By myself.
Because I'm the only one who doesn't hate him.
Yay.

BaconAndEggs1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

*very slight rant about Osomatsu-san's humour and how the first half was funnier IMO*
Just had a small epiphany. Now, I feel one of the biggest problems with episode 25 is that its preceding episode was way too original and good. (Spoiler tag for WeeabooForever and anybody else who hasn't watched the whole series.) This applies to both segments and their separate tones. The first segment finally gave us another break from the slightly tedious escapades of the brothers after a long time of putting up with them to focus on Totoko and deliver some good humour with her character. I laughed harder at that than I had at any of the other episodes in the latter half of the show's run. When the Matsus were reduced to a side gag, it really worked. The other segment actually delivered a rather well-done dramatic turn for the Matsus, not quite as over-the-top as Totty's earlier incident, and the ending really set up what many imagined was going to be a magnificent finale. You see, that's the issue with 25. Instead of taking things in the direction they know fans want to with an episode dedicated to the brothers struggling to live without each other, they do a bait-and-switch (which I do have to admit, props to them for at least keeping the fans on their toes) and get everything back to this status quo straight away for some worn-out silly humour centered around this baseball game where they all die in space…yay? I was honestly kind of disappointed that they stuck to just doing the typical stupid Osomatsu-san kind of humour for the whole episode instead of writing a more climactic and fitting end. This might as well just have been a regular episode of the show for all I care.
I honestly feel the reason the show got so silent on the laughtrack so soon is because I'd caught onto the humour by then and just waiting for the series to finish. In the first eleven episodes (except maybe the coffee shop episode which didn't impress me too much), the humour is rather ridiculous and I got surprised by that ridiculousness and laughed. When I realized that's what was happening and I eagerly awaited it, it suddenly got really ridiculous and not in the sort of way that made me laugh. It just came across as boring and really stupid (which I don't think was my fault actually, they probably did make it that way with Girlymatsu and all). There were a few gold nuggets here and there and a few of the later ones improved, but 24's Totoko segment was the only consistently funny thing honestly. Actually, wait, maybe it's nothing to do with this at all. Maybe there are just some episodes I don't like and the fact that some were made in 2016 is a complete coincidence? I don't know.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

YukiteruAmano wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

YukiteruAmano wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

YukiteruAmano wrote:

Hey, you said your least favorite sextuplet is Karamatsu.
I mean, yeah, but…he's just not my type, and….f-fine! If you don't understand the charm of a victimized buck toothed conman with speech impediments, then I will.
By myself.
Because I'm the only one who doesn't hate him.
Yay.
He's not that bad all the time, but I don't like him in -san. He's okay in -kun. I think my least favorite non sextuplet might be Dekapan. Is that even how you spell it? Lol. Karamatsu is definitely my type . I'm into characters who are sort of full of themselves.
I like Dekapan. I think he was made into a really funny character in his -San incarnation. In -kun, the whole gag about him pulling stuff out of his pants didn't exist, he was just an overly sweet and kind man. I like how he's still a doctor and scientist and that he's still bromantic with Dayon, haha.
Also, somewhat related because it's also Fujio Akatsuka: the Tensai Bakabon fiftieth anniversary is next year, and according to a Japanese magazine, “there are projects under way”. Oooooh! Who else is excited? Bakabon was actually ranked his #1 most popular manga, Osomatsu being a close second.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

*galactic punt* respond to post above ^

MSPA
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm starting to like Karamatsu a lot more now. Help. :c

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MSPA wrote:

I'm starting to like Karamatsu a lot more now. Help. :c
I cannot help. Once you're in Akatsuka Heck, there's no way out.

MSPA
Scratcher
1000+ posts

My dad thought Jyushimatsu was Nobi (is that how you spell it?) from Doraemon.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MSPA wrote:

Haha, a lot of people think Nobita looks like the matsus and frankly I agree. Akatsuka actually knew the guy who created Dorameon and they were housed in the same apartment complex.

Last edited by ArimoTheReindeer (Aug. 23, 2016 22:04:52)

MSPA
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WeeabooForever wrote:

MSPA wrote:

Haha, a lot of people think Nobita looks like the matsus and frankly I agree. Akatsuka actually knew the guy who created Dorameon and they were housed in the same apartment complex.
I had showed him a video and when he saw Jyushimatsu, he instantly said “Oh no, isn't that the kid from that weird show with the time traveling cat?”

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MSPA wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

MSPA wrote:

I had showed him a video and when he saw Jyushimatsu, he instantly said “Oh no, isn't that the kid from that weird show with the time traveling cat?”
While we're on the subject….

MSPA
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WeeabooForever wrote:

MSPA wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

MSPA wrote:

While we're on the subject….
I remember that episode!

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

*shameless self promotion*
Y'all are Osomatsu fans so you should come to Studio Akatsuka! We need some 'matsu stuff!

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

YukiteruAmano wrote:

Can you guys tell me how to get a signature on here?
Go to the Discuss main page, scroll down ALL the way, and click “change your signature”

Last edited by ArimoTheReindeer (Aug. 26, 2016 19:29:56)

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What do you think it would've been like if Osomatsu-kun (1988) had an English dub? Do you think it would've been watered down? What do you think the names would be channged to?

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

YukiteruAmano wrote:

WeeabooForever wrote:

What do you think it would've been like if Osomatsu-kun (1988) had an English dub? Do you think it would've been watered down? What do you think the names would be channged to?
They don't change names just because it goes from Japanese to English… in most cases, anyway. I don't think they'd change the names. I don't think it'll get an English dub, either. It probably would be watered down, just like most English dubs.
I mean like 4kids-esque. I know if never will get a dub, this is just a “what if” thing. We all know that they pretty much always change the names. I feel like they'd keep Dayon the same for some reason…and maybe the sextuplets

Last edited by ArimoTheReindeer (Aug. 31, 2016 12:25:24)