Discuss Scratch

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

RGB or Hex input for colors in Bitmap and Vector

congyingzhou wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

I, and some others on the team, like this idea, if it can be done in such a way as to not confuse beginners. Has anybody made any mock ups of how the user interface might look? Sorry if I missed this information in the previous posts.
There will be a slider switch for HSV and RGB, and a checkbox to show/hide the hexcode panel. If the hexcode panel is shown, there will be a small ‘?’ button. If the mouse hovers on it, it explains what hexcodes are. Same goes for RGB.
I think what @Paddle2See is asking for is an actual picture of what the interface might look like. Have you or anyone else made a mockup, an actual picture, of what it would look like?

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whoaaaaaaaaaa

Two ST Members

lets goooo

Sorry for going off-topic, but seriously this is great!

Hey there! My name is Nammy. I'm a male Forum Helper and Scratch Wiki Editor.
Profile | Test Account | Talk with me here! | Griffpatch is quitting Scratch?!
Parametric
Scratcher
91 posts

beep boop, I did a basic mockup design.

(It's basically the same as the MS Paint colour menu, but I tried to make it a little more compact)
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Parametric wrote:

beep boop, I did a basic mockup design.

-snip images i cant-

(It's basically the same as the MS Paint colour menu, but I tried to make it a little more compact)

Could you provide a version without all the red labels, please?

Infrequently active.

It feels weird to see how far we've come. I hope you're well, wherever you are!
Parametric
Scratcher
91 posts

ResExsention wrote:

Parametric wrote:

(image)

Easier said than done with MS Paint, but I tried.

furrypig
Scratcher
100+ posts

Having it show hex codes usually, even with a ? icon explaining, still seems like it would be too much for new scratchers because they have to read something to understand and it still would make the pop up less simple. The current way is still a bit confusing, but they can get used to it more easily. So if this feature was added, it shouldn't just show up automatically since it would look complex and confusing, but you should have to press an “advanced” button to show other options in order to not confuse new scratchers.

What was even nicer for new scratchers was just having a default color palette that made it easy for them to find a color and use the same color later on. Scratch 2.0 however was way worse for advanced scratchers because the color picker for non-default colors did not give rgb, hex, hsl, hsv, or anything at all. Now at least we can convert to hsv/hsl (I don't remember which one scratch uses because they just call it brightness, not value or light). Back then I would sometimes import a sprite with all the colors and use the color pick up option from there to use them. Still, it would obviously be more useful to have even more than just converting numbers or importing costumes with the colors, so it is a good idea for a feature, as long as the interface stays simple enough by hiding the advanced features behind an “advanced” button.
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Parametric wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Parametric wrote:

(image)

-snip images i cant-

You know, I think instead the spectrum selector by itself should be displayed, and the arrow would bring up the palette and number selectors. I think it would be less confusing that way.

Infrequently active.

Parametric
Scratcher
91 posts

ResExsention wrote:

Parametric wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Parametric wrote:

(image)

(image)

You know, I think instead the spectrum selector by itself should be displayed, and the arrow would bring up the palette and number selectors. I think it would be less confusing that way.

Maybe that could work, but I don't see how it'd be less confusing. The palette would be a lot more precise imo (as it's easier to be specific in projects that require colour sensing), & it isn't really linked to the numbers like the spectrum is. It makes more sense to me to separate the palette from the other stuff, as 1) it's simpler and 2) it's the only one that isn't as necessarily associated with the other controls.
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Parametric wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Parametric wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Parametric wrote:

(image)

(image)

Maybe that could work, but I don't see how it'd be less confusing. The palette would be a lot more precise imo (as it's easier to be specific in projects that require colour sensing), & it isn't really linked to the numbers like the spectrum is. It makes more sense to me to separate the palette from the other stuff, as 1) it's simpler and 2) it's the only one that isn't as necessarily associated with the other controls.

The problem with the simple palette is that you won't be able to get custom colors. Anyone who might not know about the spectrum selector or are intimidated by it wouldn't be able to get the precise color that they want.

I agree, though, it's pretty hard to compromise.

Infrequently active.

congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

furrypig wrote:

Having it show hex codes usually, even with a ? icon explaining, still seems like it would be too much for new scratchers because they have to read something to understand and it still would make the pop up less simple. The current way is still a bit confusing, but they can get used to it more easily. So if this feature was added, it shouldn't just show up automatically since it would look complex and confusing, but you should have to press an “advanced” button to show other options in order to not confuse new scratchers.

What was even nicer for new scratchers was just having a default color palette that made it easy for them to find a color and use the same color later on. Scratch 2.0 however was way worse for advanced scratchers because the color picker for non-default colors did not give rgb, hex, hsl, hsv, or anything at all. Now at least we can convert to hsv/hsl (I don't remember which one scratch uses because they just call it brightness, not value or light). Back then I would sometimes import a sprite with all the colors and use the color pick up option from there to use them. Still, it would obviously be more useful to have even more than just converting numbers or importing costumes with the colors, so it is a good idea for a feature, as long as the interface stays simple enough by hiding the advanced features behind an “advanced” button.
A checkbox. Done. And maybe some advanced explaining with another button.

Parametric wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Parametric wrote:

(image)

~snip~
Really nice, but not exactly. I support the hue thing, but the sliders should stay the same to avoid confusion, and there should be a checkbox and ‘?’ button for the hexcodes.

This is my signature. It appears after I post anything! (I added this for people who thought I was advertising)
and now i have finally removed that line of links, a lot don't work anyway after I unshared a bunch of projects
Oh look a rainbow (I wanted to make my whole signature a rainbow, but busted character limit)
2nd most-poster in Requests (still???), top 20 most-poster overall, 7.3K posts total, 6.5K requests foolproof mind reader??, try to beat the unbeatable tic-tac-toe AI
Peace_ful8
Scratcher
31 posts

Yes! I need it! I am so much more used to RGB! Also, while they're at it, they should add an option to toggle from percentage to true value (0-255).
Scratch---Cat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Since the
set pen color to [#badfac] :: pen

touching color [#badfff] :: boolean
uses hexcodes, while costume editor uses HSB,
they're sometimes incompatible.
I support it.

Download Scratch 2.0 | Check your messages | Check my messages
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you want to subscribe to this forum topic, please click the
{} Follow Discussion :: ring sensing
button below this forum post! Thanks!

gamebeater187
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Also, colorblind Scratchers will have a massive difficulty trying to understand the sliders and pick the right color.

The Community Guidelines wrote:

Scratch welcomes people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
EDIT: I misspelled community, so I fixed that

Last edited by gamebeater187 (Sept. 24, 2019 00:29:19)

My 1000th post!
I haven't changed my logo since my 96th post on 2014. Now at 1000 posts, I changed my logo!
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Parametric wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Parametric wrote:

(image)

<image snipped>

Thanks, @Parametric, for putting that together! I like that the simple pallet “expands” into the more precise spectrum and numeric values. I do wonder if there are other ways to do it that might be more intuitive. Maybe a radio button to switch between RGB and HSB number fields with an illustration to accompany the different color models? Since hexcodes are really just another form of RGB, they would show up in the RGB mode. Just a thought

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
Parametric
Scratcher
91 posts

Paddle2See wrote:

Parametric wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Parametric wrote:

(image)

<image snipped>

Thanks, @Parametric, for putting that together! I like that the simple pallet “expands” into the more precise spectrum and numeric values. I do wonder if there are other ways to do it that might be more intuitive. Maybe a radio button to switch between RGB and HSB number fields with an illustration to accompany the different color models? Since hexcodes are really just another form of RGB, they would show up in the RGB mode. Just a thought

Sure, sounds good.
44premium86
New to Scratch
3 posts

Support. It would be great to type in a code (like hex), and not have to fiddle and experiment just to find the right color.

gamebeater187 wrote:

Also, colorblind Scratchers will have a massive difficulty trying to understand the sliders and pick the right color.

Scratch welcomes people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
^ I am not colorblind, but I imagine someone having lots of problems trying to use the sliders.

This signature is very creative, constructive, thoughtful, unique, and complex.
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gamebeater187 wrote:

EDIT: I misspelled community, so I fixed that
That’s not the most important part, but thanks anyways.

Peace_ful8 wrote:

Yes! I need it! I am so much more used to RGB! Also, while they're at it, they should add an option to toggle from percentage to true value (0-255).
Thanks!

This is my signature. It appears after I post anything! (I added this for people who thought I was advertising)
and now i have finally removed that line of links, a lot don't work anyway after I unshared a bunch of projects
Oh look a rainbow (I wanted to make my whole signature a rainbow, but busted character limit)
2nd most-poster in Requests (still???), top 20 most-poster overall, 7.3K posts total, 6.5K requests foolproof mind reader??, try to beat the unbeatable tic-tac-toe AI
Scratcher
500+ posts

Support. This is a straight up good idea to allow more precise color choosing. Not really much more to say.

Edit: I love Parametric's mock ups. That'd look fantastic.

Last edited by 54329 (Sept. 26, 2019 04:57:23)

Click Here To Get Free Loves, Favorites and Follows!!!
(Not edited by moderator - don't impersonate a moderator by adding this moderation since a moderator didn't moderate to add this moderation in.)

;
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

54329 wrote:

Support. This is a straight up good idea to allow more precise color choosing. Not really much more to say.

Edit: I love Parametric's mock ups. That'd look fantastic.
Yeah, really cool, I wish I had time to make some

congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump