Discuss Scratch

congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

RGB or Hex input for colors in Bitmap and Vector

SuperKamekArea wrote:

Bump no idea if it works
Please only bump if the last post is 24 hours away.

Last edited by congyingzhou (Aug. 26, 2019 11:47:38)

This is my signature. It appears after I post anything! (I added this for people who thought I was advertising)
and now i have finally removed that line of links, a lot don't work anyway after I unshared a bunch of projects
Oh look a rainbow (I wanted to make my whole signature a rainbow, but busted character limit)
2nd most-poster in Requests (still???), top 20 most-poster overall, 7.3K posts total, 6.5K requests foolproof mind reader??, try to beat the unbeatable tic-tac-toe AI
dominic305
Scratcher
500+ posts

Support! Great idea!

This is my signature, it appears below all of my posts.
Certified Tech Nerd
I make technical projects here on Scratch, but I also know C++ and Java.

I’m still here, I just don’t do much
awesome5185
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This should have been added ages ago. Support for the much needed accessibility & to copy colours much easier.

btw i like ur near 100% support heh

Regards,
awesome5185

Featured Studio!
Ask Ouija!
Ask a question and get your answers one. letter. at. a. time. Join now!

; Santa Claus and Mrs Claus wanted to get a devorce. However, being in the north pole, there was no one there to help them do that. So they used a semi colon instead; they are great for seperating two independent clauses.
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dominic305 wrote:

Support! Great idea!

awesome5185 wrote:

This should have been added ages ago. Support for the much needed accessibility & to copy colours much easier.

btw i like ur near 100% support heh
Thanks!

This is my signature. It appears after I post anything! (I added this for people who thought I was advertising)
and now i have finally removed that line of links, a lot don't work anyway after I unshared a bunch of projects
Oh look a rainbow (I wanted to make my whole signature a rainbow, but busted character limit)
2nd most-poster in Requests (still???), top 20 most-poster overall, 7.3K posts total, 6.5K requests foolproof mind reader??, try to beat the unbeatable tic-tac-toe AI
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump

Parametric
Scratcher
91 posts

I decided to add yet another reason why RGB/hexcodes should be implemented, on top of the multiple paragraphs I've already written about this.

(removed by moderator – please use a whitelisted image host when posting images)

Last edited by Za-Chary (Aug. 29, 2019 11:53:05)

MClovers
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support, the colours are so hard to use.

President of Scratch ShopBux
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Parametric wrote:

I decided to add yet another reason why RGB/hexcodes should be implemented, on top of the multiple paragraphs I've already written about this.

(removed by WindOctahedron - please don't post links to Imgur (source))
Like I said, Imgur images are not allowed.
(I think that the italic text will get removed by a moderator, because I'm “trying to be like them”. I've seen this happen once.)

The message above may contain wrong information, rude remarks, or something embarrassing to my current self. In this case, please ignore it and remember that I likely wrote it back when I didn't know what “respect” truly meant. I really hate thinking about it again.
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WindOctahedron wrote:

Parametric wrote:

(removed by WindOctahedron - please don't post links to Imgur (source))
Like I said, Imgur images are not allowed.
(I think that the italic text will get removed by a moderator, because I'm “trying to be like them”. I've seen this happen once.)
Why?
I made a post to be ‘edited’ by @Paddle2See once as a joke.

MClovers wrote:

Support, the colours are so hard to use.
Thanks and added

Parametric
Scratcher
91 posts

I wasn't aware that that was a rule. Seems kind of arbitrary but ok.

Also you didn't actually remove the original link. You're not a part of the Scratch Team.

but here's a transcript in case it does get taken down:
Shown below is a complete cycle of the Hue value in HSV from 0 to its maximum value:
(diagram)
Throughout the entirety of this cycle, a colour travels the maximum range six times. In RGB (which all computer screens use), there is a range of 256 values in each colour. To accurately sum up every possible RGB hue, a range of 1536 hue values is required. However, Hue in HSV also has a range of 256 values. This means that RGB has six times more hues than HSV.
HSV is inferior, end of story.
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Parametric wrote:

I wasn't aware that that was a rule. Seems kind of arbitrary but ok.

Also you didn't actually remove the original link. You're not a part of the Scratch Team.

but here's a transcript in case it does get taken down:
Shown below is a complete cycle of the Hue value in HSV from 0 to its maximum value:
(diagram)
Throughout the entirety of this cycle, a colour travels the maximum range six times. In RGB (which all computer screens use), there is a range of 256 values in each colour. To accurately sum up every possible RGB hue, a range of 1536 hue values is required. However, Hue in HSV also has a range of 256 values. This means that RGB has six times more hues than HSV.
HSV is inferior, end of story.
That makes no sense at all to me

WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

congyingzhou wrote:

I don't know what they mean by the “travels the maximum range six times”, but 256×6=1536 and they mean that to correctly express an RGB color, 1536 values are required, but HSV can distinguish only 256 values…
That's just my interpretation. I might be wrong.

The message above may contain wrong information, rude remarks, or something embarrassing to my current self. In this case, please ignore it and remember that I likely wrote it back when I didn't know what “respect” truly meant. I really hate thinking about it again.
dominic305
Scratcher
500+ posts

Maybe there can be 3 tabs:
RGB, HSV, Selector
so everyone gets what they want! We could use hex codes in the RGB tab, HSV sliders (why tho?) in the HSV tab, and use the 2.0/1.x color picker in the selector tab!

This is my signature, it appears below all of my posts.
Certified Tech Nerd
I make technical projects here on Scratch, but I also know C++ and Java.

I’m still here, I just don’t do much
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WindOctahedron wrote:

congyingzhou wrote:

I don't know what they mean by the “travels the maximum range six times”, but 256×6=1536 and they mean that to correctly express an RGB color, 1536 values are required, but HSV can distinguish only 256 values…
That's just my interpretation. I might be wrong.
It still makes no sense to me…

Parametric
Scratcher
91 posts

It'd probably make more sense if I could show you the diagram.

But what I mean is this:
The way hue works in HSV is that it's a measure of what the dominant RGB colour is (ie, which one is at its maximum value) & how close the secondary colour is to it.

Let's assume for simplicity that hue is measured on a scale of 0 to 599.

A hue of 0 would mean pure red, with no green or blue.
As hue rises towards 100, green rises (with red still at its maximum) until 100 when red and green are both at their maximum simultanously.
As hue rises to 200, green becomes the only colour at its maximum as red falls, until 200 when it is pure green.
As it rises to 300, green stays maxed out as blue rises to its maximum.
As it rises to 400, blue stays maxed out as green falls to zero.
As it rises to 500, blue stays maxed out as red rises to its maximum
As it rises to 600 (which loops back to 0), red stays maxed out as blue falls to zero, putting us back where we began.

Throughout this entire cycle, a colour travels up or down its entire range six times:
1) when green rises from zero to maximum
2) when red falls from maximum to zero
3) when blue rises from zero to maximum
4) when green falls from maximum to zero
5) when red rises from zero to maximum
6) when blue falls from maximum to zero

In RGB, each colour has a range of 0 to 255 (ie 256 values). To accurately represent every hue of this cycle, it has to represent all 256 steps of each rise or fall. This means that it requires 256 × 6 hues, which is 1536.

However, there are only 256 available hues in HSV, meaning that RGB has six times as many hues as HSV.

& then considering that there are only 100 hues in Scratch, that means that ahex code selector would have over 15 times as many hues as the current sliders.

Therefore, hex codes and/or an RGB selector would be objectively superior to the HSV selector.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Last edited by Parametric (Aug. 29, 2019 22:19:43)

congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Parametric wrote:

It'd probably make more sense if I could show you the diagram.

But what I mean is this:
The way hue works in HSV is that it's a measure of what the dominant RGB colour is (ie, which one is at its maximum value) & how close the secondary colour is to it.

Let's assume for simplicity that hue is measured on a scale of 0 to 599.

A hue of 0 would mean pure red, with no green or blue.
As hue rises towards 100, green rises (with red still at its maximum) until 100 when red and green are both at their maximum simultanously.
As hue rises to 200, green becomes the only colour at its maximum as red falls, until 200 when it is pure green.
As it rises to 300, green stays maxed out as blue rises to its maximum.
As it rises to 400, blue stays maxed out as green falls to zero.
As it rises to 500, blue stays maxed out as red rises to its maximum
As it rises to 600 (which loops back to 0), red stays maxed out as blue falls to zero, putting us back where we began.

Throughout this entire cycle, a colour travels up or down its entire range six times:
1) when green rises from zero to maximum
2) when red falls from maximum to zero
3) when blue rises from zero to maximum
4) when green falls from maximum to zero
5) when red rises from zero to maximum
6) when blue falls from maximum to zero

In RGB, each colour has a range of 0 to 255 (ie 256 values). To accurately represent every hue of this cycle, it has to represent all 256 steps of each rise or fall. This means that it requires 256 × 6 hues, which is 1536.

However, there are only 256 available hues in HSV, meaning that RGB has six times as many hues as HSV.

& then considering that there are only 100 hues in Scratch, that means that ahex code selector would have over 15 times as many hues as the current sliders.

Therefore, hex codes and/or an RGB selector would be objectively superior to the HSV selector.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
I know what RGB and HSV is and how they work, but not the infinitely complicated numbers and speeches and multiplications and how it would benefit this suggestion. I have a guess all this means they are more colors available, which I know already.

congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump

congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

PinkTabbyHunterLargo
Scratcher
100+ posts

support! I prefer to use RGB or ARGB for colors, and this would mean that pen won't have to be used!

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.

watching the ATs dissolve
mariadoru
Scratcher
75 posts

Semi support. I believe not all of us will learn so easily this kind of code.

What do you think about this game?
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/326299816