Discuss Scratch

Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Crimson & Co's College of Collaboration [Student]

Advanced Management - Voting Assignment

Match Up
You must match up the follow situations with a voting system from the word bank. Each one corresponds and can only be used once.

1. An election for an Art Manager, where there are two candidates.
2. An election for a General Manager position, where there are five candidates.
3. An election for three Representative positions, where there are nine candidates.

True Democracy
Weigh up the pros and cons of having a true democratic collaboration, where the leader is elected every so often. Make sure your argument is balanced (with both pros and cons) and you should come to some sort of justified conclusion. Minimum of 200 words.

General Question
1. Explain why Alternative Voting is generally better than First Past the Post.
2. Give one reason why FPTP is better than AV.

Corruption Central
Below is a fictitious election. You may recognize the uncreative usernames that I made earlier.

>>>Chief: The election for Vice President is due to start soon.
>>>Musico: Yep, can’t wait. :-)
>>>Chief: Unfortunately, I am going away for the next few days so I won’t be here.
>>>Chief: I’ll leave the election with Shadow (the deputy chief) to run.
>>>Shadow: Really? COOL.
>>>Chief: You need to tally up the votes properly and be independent. Got that?
>>>Shadow: Can I still vote?
>>>Chief: Of course, I got to go. See you in a couple of days. Bye.
>>>Shadow: Bye.
>>>Shadow: Who is running for Vice President again?
>>>Musico: I have a list: Paul, Byte and Jacob.
>>>Shadow: Right! The voting will start soon, probably tomorrow. Let’s win!

>>>Co49: *A new dawn on corruption central*

>>>Musico: Shall we start voting?
>>>Paul: I do not see why not?
>>>Musico: Shadow did say tomorrow.
>>>Paul: Well, I am voting for myself, hopefully that doesn’t sound…
>>>Musico: Of course not, I’ll vote for you too!
>>>Paul: Thanks! :-)
>>>Maestro: I vote for Paul too! :-)
>>>Paul: Thanks! That’s three points to me.
>>>Shadow: Come on, let’s get some votes for byte!
>>>Paul: Three votes to me.
>>>Shadow: Stop boasting Paul, that’s a warning!
>>>Paul: Sorry
>>>Shadow: Eh, wait a minute. The voting doesn’t starting till now. I vote for Byte.
>>>Paul: What?
>>>Shadow: Paul: 0 Byte: 1 Jacob: 0
>>>Paul: I have three votes?!
>>>Shadow: Their votes were cast before the time started. You will have to vote again.
>>>Paul: Fine. I vote for myself.
>>>Paul: Paul: 1 Byte 1 Jacob: 0
>>>Shadow: Don’t post the tally; that is my job.

>>>Co49: *The smoke clears*

>>>Jacob: I vote for myself.
>>>Shadow: Paul: 1 Byte: 1 Jacob: 1
>>>Shadow: Come one, let’s get some votes for Byte!
>>>Shadow: Don’t vote for Paul!
>>>Shadow: He boasts too much and doesn’t have as much experience as Byte!
>>>Musico: But Paul has 3 votes?
>>>Shadow: Nope, you’ll have to vote again.
>>>Musico: I vote for Paul.
>>> Maestro: Ug! I have to vote for Paul again?! This is stupid Shadow.
>>>Shadow: Don’t be rude, I’ll report you.
>>>Shadow: Maestro is being removed from this election and their vote is not counted.
>>> Maestro: What? You can’t do that?!
>>>Shadow: Yes I can, I’m the deputy chief.
>>> Maestro: This is ridiculous!

>>>Co49: *Paul finds himself in a problematic predicament*

>>>Carter: I vote for Byte!
>>>Shadow: Paul: 2 Byte: 2 Jacob: 0
>>>Paul: Hm, when does Chief get back?
>>>Shadow: Why?
>>>Paul: Nothing.
>>>Byte: Hey, I vote for myself, I guess.
>>>Shadow: Paul: 2 Byte: 3 Jacob: 0
>>> Gamer47: I vote for Paul!
>>>Shadow: Are you sure?
>>> Gamer47: Yes, why wouldn’t I be?
>>>Shadow: No need to get so angry, I was only asking.

>>>Co49: *The scandal and skulduggery snowballs…*

>>>Paul: What is the tally?
>>>Shadow: Paul: 3 Byte: 3 Jacob: 0
VectorSpectre: I vote for Paul!
>>>Paul: Yay, thank you!
>>>Shadow: Fine, and chief votes for byte so
>>>Shadow: Paul: 4 Byte: 4 Jacob: 0
>>>Paul: What? You cannot do that!
>>>Shadow: Yes I can. It is called voting by proxy. Chief asked me to.
>>>Paul: What? Where did he say that?
>>>Shadow: Don’t be so rude!
>>>Paul: Show me!
>>>Shadow: Paul is being kicked from the election, for rudeness.
>>>Paul: What?!
>>>Carter: What is going on?
>>>Shadow: I have already given you a warning.
>>>Gamer47: I quit.

>>>Co49: *Disarray, dismay and disorder*

>>>Shadow: And that is the end of the election.
>>>Shadow: Byte is the new Vice President!
>>>Byte: Yay.

As you can see, Shadow broke almost every rule in the book. Here are a few questions:
1. Shadow was biased towards one candidate. Who was this?
2. How was Shadow biased towards this candidate and against the other(s)? (Please include a full description with quotes).
3. Can the candidate who Shadow was biased towards share any blame of Shadow’s corruption? Why or why not?
4. What was perhaps the most nasty thing that Shadow has done (something that may easily be overlooked)?
5. If you were the chief, what would you do when you returned?

Note: I enjoyed making this scenario; I may make another (less obvious) one for part two or something.

The Trouble-Shooter
Review these two decisions (suggest alternatives if unsuitable):

1. A collaboration requires a unanimous decision to remove a member.
2. For all decisions, a majority of entire membership vote is required to take place.

Any questions? Just ask! Please take you time and refer back to the lesson, a part two may be release.
-Co49
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

f_deruvo wrote:

Hi all, you have my respect for the useful work

I wish to use a custom block library .. any tips
Sounds like a cool idea. I seem to remember something similar to a custom block library but I am not sure if it is still active.
MicroWolf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

Match Up
You must match up the follow situations with a voting system from the word bank. Each one corresponds and can only be used once.

1. An election for an Art Manager, where there are two candidates. First Past the Post
2. An election for a General Manager position, where there are five candidates. Instant Runoff/Alternative
3. An election for three Representative positions, where there are nine candidates. Single Transferable (or sth like that)

True Democracy
Weigh up the pros and cons of having a true democratic collaboration, where the leader is elected every so often. Make sure your argument is balanced (with both pros and cons) and you should come to some sort of justified conclusion. Minimum of 200 words.

A true democratic collaboration, where a leader is elected or re-elected every once in a while, is advantageous to the collaboration in that unsuitable or otherwise bad leaders can be kept in check by the working body, or members, of the collaboration. This means that the net happiness, from a utilitarian point of view, is increased, as the wants of most members are fulfilled. This also allows the collaboration to have a change in routine every once in a while, which may be refreshing; in addition, workers are motivated to work harder and take up leadership roles in order to persuade others to elect them for a higher position.

However, there is a large disadvantage in the fact that sometimes the most popular candidate may be elected, rather than the best. This means that the collaboration will ultimately fail, particularly if a group of members form a sort of coalition or alliance in order to further their own gain. Members may place their own greed in obtaining the higher position above the general progress and good of the collaboration. Also, the leader, or founder of the collaboration, wouldn’t have as much privilege as the one who started it. Lastly, there would most likely be grudges or ill will between competitors, particularly if a new leader overturns various ideas made by the previous one.

For these reasons, I believe that a true democracy is ultimately harmful and detrimental to a collaboration. Though it does allow more members to be satisfied, there is a high chance that the collaboration as a whole would suffer, from a combination of inter-member conflict, misplaced priorities, and poor leadership. This is particularly true if the elected leader has no experience whatsoever either in the collaboration or in leadership. A better alternative would be a democratic approach to the making of major decisions, though the leader stays the same.

312 words.

General Question
It prevents a majority vote from being split between two similar candidates, thus allowing an unfavorable candidate to win.
It's easier to tally and deal with.

Corruption Central
Below is a fictitious election. You may recognize the uncreative usernames that I made earlier.

And… snip!

As you can see, Shadow broke almost every rule in the book. Here are a few questions:
1. Shadow was biased towards one candidate. Who was this? Byte
2. How was Shadow biased towards this candidate and against the other(s)? (Please include a full description with quotes).
Gah, with quotes? Co, you're evil.
1. He voted for Byte
2. He kicked competitors from the election for random reasons.
>>>Shadow: Maestro is being removed from this election and their vote is not counted.
3. Telling people to vote for Byte, and negative campaigning against Paul
3. Can the candidate who Shadow was biased towards share any blame of Shadow’s corruption? Why or why not?
In a way, not, because unless he was asking Shadow to do that, it wasn't really his fault that Shadow is such an… undeserving leader. (I was going to use a slightly harsher word, but decided against)
However, Byte could have said something about it, but it's understandable why he wouldn't, and frankly it's forgivable.

4. What was perhaps the most nasty thing that Shadow has done (something that may easily be overlooked)?
I'm not entirely sure. Threatening to report someone? Or perhaps simply abusing power – “Yes I can, I'm the deputy chief”
Demote or kick Shadow, get the members back, and run the vote again

Note: I enjoyed making this scenario; I may make another (less obvious) one for part two or something.

The Trouble-Shooter

I think this threshold is slightly too high. Perhaps a two-thirds vote, or a double majority where management vote has to be unanimous, and there must be a majority within the others, would be more suitable.
2. For all decisions, a majority of entire membership vote is required to take place.
I disagree with this, as many members may be inactive, and minor decisions shouldn't really need to go to a vote. The leader or management team should be able to make decisions themselves, or just a regular vote for larger decisions.

Any questions? Just ask! Please take you time and refer back to the lesson, a part two may be release.
-Co49

Last edited by MicroWolf (May 7, 2016 03:28:28)

Under Reconstruction
MegaByteCorporations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

-snip-
-Co49
What's First Past The Post?

Trust, but verify ⅼ There is a madness to my method ⅼ Always outnumbered, never outclassed ⅼ They said I couldn't, so I did ⅼ I didn't lie, I circumnavigated the truth ⅼ Determination is the wake up call to the human will ⅼ I don't want to hurt you. And you know that I can ⅼ People can change - there is reason for hope ⅼ True friends stab you in the front ⅼ No I'm not ‘giving up’ I'm just too classy to fight an idiot like you
MicroWolf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MegaByteCorporations wrote:

Co49 wrote:

-snip-
-Co49
What's First Past The Post?
Candidates: Lythium or RCF.
Pick one. First one to get majority wins Personal Art.

Last edited by MicroWolf (May 7, 2016 11:48:50)

Under Reconstruction
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@MicroWolf
Looks good so far, I'll mark them together when a few more responses come from.

@MegaByteCorporations
There was a lesson on voting. You may have missed a few, I'll check.
MegaByteCorporations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

@MicroWolf

@MegaByteCorporations
I probably did. I was grounded for a while, I check the studio, I know most of the stuff in this lesson anyway, just not all the technical terms.

Trust, but verify ⅼ There is a madness to my method ⅼ Always outnumbered, never outclassed ⅼ They said I couldn't, so I did ⅼ I didn't lie, I circumnavigated the truth ⅼ Determination is the wake up call to the human will ⅼ I don't want to hurt you. And you know that I can ⅼ People can change - there is reason for hope ⅼ True friends stab you in the front ⅼ No I'm not ‘giving up’ I'm just too classy to fight an idiot like you
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

@MicroWolf

@MegaByteCorporations
I probably did. I was grounded for a while, I check the studio, I know most of the stuff in this lesson anyway, just not all the technical terms.

I have checked and I think it is just this lesson that you missed.
MegaByteCorporations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

Co49 wrote:

@MicroWolf

@MegaByteCorporations

I have checked and I think it is just this lesson that you missed.
Oh okay.

MegaByteCorporations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

Match Up

1. An election for an Art Manager, where there are two candidates. FPTP
2. An election for a General Manager position, where there are five candidates. AV
3. An election for three Representative positions, where there are nine candidates.

True Democracy

General Question
Because it allows voters to choose a backup candidate in case they're own candidate loses (e.g. Bill, Bob, Ben, and Joe are running for VP, Paul wants Ben to win, however, he knows Ben has few supporters, he also agrees with Joe's standards, so he puts Joe down as his second choice, Paul ends up having the most votes, and Ben has the least, however, all of Ben's supporters put Joe down as their second choice, so the votes get added to Joes and Joe ends up winning because of the added votes.)
When you want for a faster, more efficient election.
Corruption Central

-snippers-

1. Shadow was biased towards one candidate. Who was this? Byte
2. How was Shadow biased towards this candidate and against the other(s)? He was campaigning for Byte, and against the others in a rude and disrespectful way, he also erased Jacob's single vote. (e.g. “He boasts too much and doesn’t have as much experience as Byte!” “Paul is being kicked from the election, for rudeness.” This second quote was completely unprovoked as Paul was merely asking for proof of Shadow's permission to proxy)
He was not, because he did not have any control over Shadow, however, I think that if he had asked Shadow to stop he wouldn't have kicked him like anyone else….
Shadow took away all of Jacob's votes, removing any chance of him winning the election.
I would attempt to bring back in the members of the collab who left, and I would kick Shadow, and redo the election.

The Trouble-Shooter
What do I do here?

-Co49
I'll finish later because I have to go now.

Last edited by MegaByteCorporations (May 9, 2016 15:53:38)

ProfessorMarshmallow
Scratcher
500+ posts

I think I have to resign from here. I don't have that much time, and I think I'm going to have to quit Scratch.

TacoCatProuductions
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ProfessorMarshmallow wrote:

I think I have to resign from here. I don't have that much time, and I think I'm going to have to quit Scratch.
Don't quit!

TacoCatProuductions
Experienced Artist, Animator, Coder, and Shop Owner
Game Designer I 101 Followers I 1 Year, 9 Months I 32569 Posts
“Dare to Be Different. The World Is Full Of The Ordinary.”. - Anonymous
IcyCoder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Can I join Standard Management? I am not following this discussion.

Because JS is the future (echos) future future futur futu fut fu f
ProfessorMarshmallow
Scratcher
500+ posts

TacoCatProuductions wrote:

ProfessorMarshmallow wrote:

Don't quit!
I'm sorry. I'm busy in real life.

f_deruvo
Scratcher
100+ posts

Co49 wrote:

Match Up

1. An election for an Art Manager, where there are two candidates.
>> No vote , as it should be a leaders decision
2. An election for a General Manager position, where there are five candidates.
>>AV (with more than one preferences)
>>STV (with more than one preferences)

True Democracy
>> (I am sorry to be shorter than 200 words) Pro for democracy IF it can be as you said an informed choice and IF is not a leaders responsibility.

General Question
>> for a majority decision (not just +1)
>> for a faster decision

Corruption Central

>>>Chief: The election for Vice President is due to start soon.
>>>Musico: Yep, can’t wait. :-)
>>>Chief: Unfortunately, I am going away for the next few days so I won’t be here.
>>>Chief: I’ll leave the election with Shadow (the deputy chief) to run.
>>>Shadow: Really? COOL.
>>>Chief: You need to tally up the votes properly and be independent. Got that?
>>>Shadow: Can I still vote?
>>>Chief: Of course, I got to go. See you in a couple of days. Bye.
>>>Shadow: Bye.
>>>Shadow: Who is running for Vice President again?
>>>Musico: I have a list: Paul, Byte and Jacob.
>>>Shadow: Right! The voting will start soon, probably tomorrow. Let’s win!

>>>Co49: *A new dawn on corruption central*

>>>Musico: Shall we start voting?
>>>Paul: I do not see why not?
>>>Musico: Shadow did say tomorrow.
>>>Paul: Well, I am voting for myself, hopefully that doesn’t sound…
>>>Musico: Of course not, I’ll vote for you too!
>>>Paul: Thanks! :-)
>>>Maestro: I vote for Paul too! :-)
>>>Paul: Thanks! That’s three points to me.
>>>Shadow: Come on, let’s get some votes for byte!
>>>Paul: Three votes to me.
>>>Shadow: Stop boasting Paul, that’s a warning!
>>>Paul: Sorry
>>>Shadow: Eh, wait a minute. The voting doesn’t starting till now. I vote for Byte.
>>>Paul: What?
>>>Shadow: Paul: 0 Byte: 1 Jacob: 0
>>>Paul: I have three votes?!
>>>Shadow: Their votes were cast before the time started. You will have to vote again.
>>>Paul: Fine. I vote for myself.
>>>Paul: Paul: 1 Byte 1 Jacob: 0
>>>Shadow: Don’t post the tally; that is my job.

>>>Co49: *The smoke clears*

>>>Jacob: I vote for myself.
>>>Shadow: Paul: 1 Byte: 1 Jacob: 1
>>>Shadow: Come one, let’s get some votes for Byte!
>>>Musico: But Paul has 3 votes?
>>>Shadow: Nope, you’ll have to vote again.
>>>Musico: I vote for Paul.
>>> Maestro: Ug! I have to vote for Paul again?! This is stupid Shadow.
>>>Shadow: Don’t be rude, I’ll report you.
>>> Maestro: What? You can’t do that?!
>>>Shadow: Yes I can, I’m the deputy chief.
>>> Maestro: This is ridiculous!

>>>Co49: *Paul finds himself in a problematic predicament*

>>>Carter: I vote for Byte!
>>>Shadow: Paul: 2 Byte: 2 Jacob: 0
>>>Paul: Hm, when does Chief get back?
>>>Shadow: Why?
>>>Paul: Nothing.
>>>Byte: Hey, I vote for myself, I guess.
>>>Shadow: Paul: 2 Byte: 3 Jacob: 0
>>> Gamer47: I vote for Paul!
>>>Shadow: Are you sure?
>>> Gamer47: Yes, why wouldn’t I be?
>>>Shadow: No need to get so angry, I was only asking.

>>>Co49: *The scandal and skulduggery snowballs…*

>>>Paul: What is the tally?
>>>Shadow: Paul: 3 Byte: 3 Jacob: 0
VectorSpectre: I vote for Paul!
>>>Paul: Yay, thank you!
>>>Shadow: Fine, and chief votes for byte so
>>>Shadow: Paul: 4 Byte: 4 Jacob: 0
>>>Paul: What? You cannot do that!
>>>Shadow: Yes I can. It is called voting by proxy. Chief asked me to.
>>>Paul: What? Where did he say that?
>>>Shadow: Don’t be so rude!
>>>Paul: Show me!
>>>Paul: What?!
>>>Carter: What is going on?
>>>Shadow: I have already given you a warning.
>>>Gamer47: I quit.

>>>Co49: *Disarray, dismay and disorder*

>>>Shadow: And that is the end of the election.
>>>Shadow: Byte is the new Vice President!
>>>Byte: Yay.

1. Shadow was biased towards one candidate. Who was this?
>> byte
>> My question has How other members did not quit the vote? … they all are in fault… (sorry again I have to be short)

The Trouble-Shooter

>> 2/3 majority for such decision (not all member to avoid lock)

-Co49

Adv: Guess-who (game) - Marrakech (game) - Info-map (tool)
f_deruvo
Scratcher
100+ posts

Crimson19 wrote:

Co49 wrote:

Sorry for the delay in Advanced Management but it may be some time before the next lesson. In the meantime, you could draft your own fictional collaboration and starting looking around for collabs to do your research project on. Please do not do anything too detailed as I haven't decided on everything yet.

The same goes for writing. But as a filler task, you may create a piece of writing in one of the styles we've gone over. Be sure to incorporate all that we've learnt so far, the next assignment will be the penultimate one (after that we'll briefly touch upon common mistakes) before the test and graduation and it'll be on vocabulary! I hope some of you will partake in the advanced writing course.
I am using Grammarly and it is very usefull.. but my english need other kind of exercises… most listening. Thanks very much for your help

Adv: Guess-who (game) - Marrakech (game) - Info-map (tool)
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@ProfessorMarshmallow
I am very sorry to hear that.

@f_deruvo
Feel free to take your time with the assignment.
TacoCatProuductions
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

@ProfessorMarshmallow

@f_deruvo
can i join?

TacoCatProuductions
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

@ProfessorMarshmallow

@f_deruvo
can i join?
What course would you like?
TacoCatProuductions
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

Co49 wrote:

@ProfessorMarshmallow

@f_deruvo
can i join?
What course would you like?
Standard Managment. I think thats what its called

TacoCatProuductions