1000+ posts

Non-photorealistic rendering projects

liam48D wrote:

gtoal wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

I have no idea what I was coding but this is the result

Let's call it a pencil sketch…
A rather good one at that!
I think I'll call it “Etch-a-Sketch” renderer…

idk why the top of the sunglasses are calculated to be so soft

chooper100 wrote:

The hard part is then figuring out which vertices belong to which polygon. Although I don't know how this would be done I am sure there is a way.
delaunay triangulation to the rescue

Last edited by Zro716 (Aug. 25, 2015 08:33:43)

As a long time Scratcher, I have found new meaning to the name “Scratch”: for me, it means to “scratch that itch”, to come back again and again to realize new ideas in this toy language, even when I'm capable of creating my projects in real programming languages years later. It's a friend that helped me to pursue programming and get me to enjoy its fruit. I'm certain many others who have walked this path as well have grown fond of its importance in their life.
Zro716
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@chooper100 I've finished a bare-minimum project that polygonizes an image in the way you described but the results aren't all that satisfactory, to say the least. It stores all the intersections, it finds all the valid triangles, it calculates an average color for the tri region*, but the result is a low-poly image that makes it hard to discern the original image within.

* not really it just takes the color at the centroid

this is/was the cowboy image and it took about 3 minutes to finish the triangulation part, with a couple minor floating point issues (see bottom right corner). I reckon a higher intersection count would make the image clearer, but it would probably have to take around 10 times as many as the example to give a little more detail. So, I guess it's a success?

for future edits: I'll post another image with more polygons and redo the color “averaging”

Last edited by Zro716 (Aug. 26, 2015 15:09:07)

As a long time Scratcher, I have found new meaning to the name “Scratch”: for me, it means to “scratch that itch”, to come back again and again to realize new ideas in this toy language, even when I'm capable of creating my projects in real programming languages years later. It's a friend that helped me to pursue programming and get me to enjoy its fruit. I'm certain many others who have walked this path as well have grown fond of its importance in their life.
ChocolatePi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zro716 wrote:

@chooper100 I've finished a bare-minimum project that polygonizes an image in the way you described but the results aren't all that satisfactory, to say the least. It stores all the intersections, it finds all the valid triangles, it calculates an average color for the tri region*, but the result is a low-poly image that is difficult to visualize the original image in.

this is/was the cowboy image and it took about 3 minutes to finish the triangulation part, with a couple minor floating point issues (see bottom right corner). I reckon a higher intersection count would make the image clearer, but it would probably have to take around 10 times as many as the example to give a little more detail. So, I guess it's a success?

for future edits: I'll post another image with more polygons and redo the color “averaging”
It kind of looks like a monkey cowboy [/immaturecomment]
chooper100
Scratcher
500+ posts

Zro716 wrote:

@chooper100 I've finished a bare-minimum project that polygonizes an image in the way you described but the results aren't all that satisfactory, to say the least. It stores all the intersections, it finds all the valid triangles, it calculates an average color for the tri region*, but the result is a low-poly image that makes it hard to discern the original image within.

Okay, good work so far though!
BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zro716 wrote:

Looks cool!

who needs signatures
chooper100
Scratcher
500+ posts

OMG I have just created an amazing blur algorithm! Can't wait to share it!

EDIT: Shared! Link: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/74217022/

Blur with level 10

Last edited by chooper100 (Aug. 26, 2015 17:32:57)

PullJosh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

So I've tried making one of my own… Not as impressive as what many of you guys have been doing, but still quite fun to make nonetheless.

Edit: Another happened.

Last edited by PullJosh (Sept. 2, 2015 01:42:41)

liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PullJosh wrote:

So I've tried making one of my own… Not as impressive as what many of you guys have been doing, but still quite fun to make nonetheless.

Edit: Another happened.
Awesome!

202e-202e-202e-202e-202e UNI-CODE~~~~~
BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I modified @PullJosh's project to change it to a grayscale converter.
@gtoal can you add it to the studio and make me a curator? Please?

who needs signatures
Layzej
Scratcher
100+ posts

I tried to create an oil painting effect by adding shading to each brush stroke: Oil painted NPR guy
WooHooBoy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Layzej wrote:

I tried to create an oil painting effect by adding shading to each brush stroke: Oil painted NPR guy
Awesome!

considered harmful
gtoal
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Layzej wrote:

I tried to create an oil painting effect by adding shading to each brush stroke:

Outstanding, it works really well! Reminiscent of the style of Leroy Neiman's work in the 1970's: http://www.paragonfineart.com/artists/leroy-neiman.html

If we can turn out a few more images of this quality in various styles, what do you all think of putting together an art exhibit on the net (maybe hosted on Flickr or a stand alone web site) to get some publicity for Scratch?

G
IronBit_Studios
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gtoal wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

I'd say it's blur.

gtoal
Scratcher
1000+ posts

IronBit_Studios wrote:

gtoal wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

I'd say it's blur.

Unfortunately projects are being updated/reused so the images that were posted are no longer what you see!
Layzej
Scratcher
100+ posts

gtoal wrote:

If we can turn out a few more images of this quality in various styles, what do you all think of putting together an art exhibit on the net (maybe hosted on Flickr or a stand alone web site) to get some publicity for Scratch?

Neat idea. We should scan some different images though rather than have 20 NPR guy images If anyone wants to scan their favourite picture into a list you can use this project; https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/66980580/
PullJosh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Layzej wrote:

gtoal wrote:

Neat idea. We should scan some different images though rather than have 20 NPR guy images If anyone wants to scan their favourite picture into a list you can use this project; https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/66980580/
I'd be happy to do a bit of design work for a stand alone site featuring the images.
gtoal
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Layzej wrote:

gtoal wrote:

Actually I think it would work better if the exhibition has a theme, and variations on a theme is a good basis. We already have this image which has the advantage of 1) being free from copyright issues; and 2) being a Scratcher! Unless you really object. It's not that embarrassing is it?

I was thinking that variations on “NPR Guy” would be the main exhibit and anything else (like the abstract generated stuff) could be in a “side gallery” rather than being omitted altogether.

G
gtoal
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PullJosh wrote:

I'd be happy to do a bit of design work for a stand alone site featuring the images.

Go for it!
WooHooBoy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I should probably make another one of these sometime today…

considered harmful
PullJosh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A few points:
1) If we decide on needing more images, we could do some of the Scratch team (with permission) or other scratch-themed images
2) If you guys think I should make custom site (rather than the far more simple, but slightly less impressive Flickr), we could consider something like ilm.com, where hovering over an image shows the original.