Discuss Scratch

XBloodwrathX2
Scratcher
7 posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

AU-Ratcatcher wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

I have a question, mainly for anybody that these this ofc. Does anyone think that rap/hip hop sounds the same or similar to anyone? Because I listen to a lot of rap and over time I just noticed the music just sounds almost the same idk I could be tripping but it just gets boring overtime
Yes, absolutely

Alright cause I thought I was the only one

you're not, I think that rap sounds very repetitive lately probably running out of ideas fr
JTanner2026
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

XBloodwrathX2 wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

AU-Ratcatcher wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

I have a question, mainly for anybody that these this ofc. Does anyone think that rap/hip hop sounds the same or similar to anyone? Because I listen to a lot of rap and over time I just noticed the music just sounds almost the same idk I could be tripping but it just gets boring overtime
Yes, absolutely

you're not, I think that rap sounds very repetitive lately probably running out of ideas fr
finally, someone else who noticed

(highlight then shift + down for bio)

haiii! i'm tanner/monika :3
bi femboy
he/her
in a lot of game fandoms
i draw and sing
i am a bit silly :3
XXAnimelover4lXX
Scratcher
75 posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

XBloodwrathX2 wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

AU-Ratcatcher wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

Yes, absolutely

fr

Heyy it's Malia I like video games, anime, and music. My Playstation username- Malia_thequeen77
I play alot of games like GTAV, Zelda TOTK, Fallout 4, Call of duty, Fortnite, Roblox. I play games like first/third person shooter, RPG, Open world, etc
IfIWereARichMan
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

I think the big reason that a lot of rap sounds very similar is because it doesn't use melodic composition the way most other music does. Granted, pop music can also blur together, but there's really only so many rhythms in the world. The best rappers have mastered the most complex rhythms, which is a real show of skill when they perform these songs, but it is still somewhat boring to have so many songs where the melody is so de emphasized, as we're a species that craves a melody more than any other. People aren't “running out of ideas”, it's just that there's an inherent limitation to rap music. I would say that the ideal use of rapping in music is as a verse of maybe two verses of a song that isn't primarily hip hop. That being said, some rap songs are incredibly brilliant but, much like most pieces from opera that are much the opposite (over emphasis on new melodic content and super de emphasized lyrics), I usually won't just listen to a rap song on its own. In the context of an album or if I'm trying to perform it or if I'm at a concert, I can all the way appreciate rap music, but on its own it's a little bit difficult. I honestly think that the reason a lot of people don't like opera is the same as the reason a lot of people don't like rap. But what's great is that there are actually rappers and rap groups, like Gorillaz, that understand how necessary melodies and musicality are to make music easier and more fun to listen to, just as there are operatic composers, like Puccini or Wagner, who understand the importance of the lyrics and repeating melodies for most people's enjoyment of music. I would say that rap has become samey, as many genres do, but I would not say that rappers have run out of ideas. That's just my two cents. Tell me what you think.

P.S. Rap actually originates from later opera– songs like Modern Major General from Pirates of Penzance had very simple melodic structure and were generally performed by people who couldn't sing that well, de emphasizing the melody and focusing on the rhythm, diction, and speed of the piece. In that song, though, there's a really incredible “beat” in the form of an entire orchestra and chorus backing it up. But that song was relatively rudimentary, with the rhythms being a lot less complex and impressive than a lot in modern rap music. For that reason, those old operatic rap songs, despite their influence, often seem pedestrian when compared with innovations of modern rap by people such as 2Pac and Kendrick who shaped the genre. There was a growth curve, but I think that, just as opera reached its height in the late 1800's with composers like Verdi and Puccini, hiphop has experienced its golden era and it'll be very hard for it to get any better.

Last edited by IfIWereARichMan (May 9, 2024 14:23:49)

XXAnimelover4lXX
Scratcher
75 posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

IfIWereARichMan wrote:

I think the big reason that a lot of rap sounds very similar is because it doesn't use melodic composition the way most other music does. Granted, pop music can also blur together, but there's really only so many rhythms in the world. The best rappers have mastered the most complex rhythms, which is a real show of skill when they perform these songs, but it is still somewhat boring to have so many songs where the melody is so de emphasized, as we're a species that craves a melody more than any other. People aren't “running out of ideas”, it's just that there's an inherent limitation to rap music. I would say that the ideal use of rapping in music is as a verse of maybe two verses of a song that isn't primarily hip hop. That being said, some rap songs are incredibly brilliant but, much like most pieces from opera that are much the opposite (over emphasis on new melodic content and super de emphasized lyrics), I usually won't just listen to a rap song on its own. In the context of an album or if I'm trying to perform it or if I'm at a concert, I can all the way appreciate rap music, but on its own it's a little bit difficult. I honestly think that the reason a lot of people don't like opera is the same as the reason a lot of people don't like rap. But what's great is that there are actually rappers and rap groups, like Gorillaz, that understand how necessary melodies and musicality are to make music easier and more fun to listen to, just as there are operatic composers, like Puccini or Wagner, who understand the importance of the lyrics and repeating melodies for most people's enjoyment of music. I would say that rap has become samey, as many genres do, but I would not say that rappers have run out of ideas. That's just my two cents. Tell me what you think.

P.S. Rap actually originates from later opera– songs like Modern Major General from Pirates of Penzance had very simple melodic structure and were generally performed by people who couldn't sing that well, de emphasizing the melody and focusing on the rhythm, diction, and speed of the piece. In that song, though, there's a really incredible “beat” in the form of an entire orchestra and chorus backing it up. But that song was relatively rudimentary, with the rhythms being a lot less complex and impressive than a lot in modern rap music. For that reason, those old operatic rap songs, despite their influence, often seem pedestrian when compared with innovations of modern rap by people such as 2Pac and Kendrick who shaped the genre. There was a growth curve, but I think that, just as opera reached its height in the late 1800's with composers like Verdi and Puccini, hiphop has experienced its golden era and it'll be very hard for it to get any better.

That's very interesting information thank you for responding though

Heyy it's Malia I like video games, anime, and music. My Playstation username- Malia_thequeen77
I play alot of games like GTAV, Zelda TOTK, Fallout 4, Call of duty, Fortnite, Roblox. I play games like first/third person shooter, RPG, Open world, etc
TKb0iZ
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

IfIWereARichMan
So, you're basically saying that you believe the main reason much rap music sounds similar is the genre's emphasis on complex rhythms and de-emphasis on melodic composition, compared to other music styles that rely more on memorable melodies. While the best rappers showcase impressive technical skill, the lack of melodic focus can make rap songs feel repetitive or boring when listened to in isolation. However, you note that rap's origins can be traced back to certain operatic styles that also prioritized rhythm and diction over melody. And just as opera reached its peak in the late 1800s, you feel hip-hop has experienced a “golden era” with innovators like 2Pac and Kendrick Lamar pushing the genre forward. Overall, you see rap's inherent limitations in melody as the root cause of its perceived sameness, but you also recognize the artistry and evolution within the genre, especially when rap is used effectively within a broader musical context. Is that correct?
IfIWereARichMan
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

TKb0iZ wrote:

IfIWereARichMan
So, you're basically saying that you believe the main reason much rap music sounds similar is the genre's emphasis on complex rhythms and de-emphasis on melodic composition, compared to other music styles that rely more on memorable melodies. While the best rappers showcase impressive technical skill, the lack of melodic focus can make rap songs feel repetitive or boring when listened to in isolation. However, you note that rap's origins can be traced back to certain operatic styles that also prioritized rhythm and diction over melody. And just as opera reached its peak in the late 1800s, you feel hip-hop has experienced a “golden era” with innovators like 2Pac and Kendrick Lamar pushing the genre forward. Overall, you see rap's inherent limitations in melody as the root cause of its perceived sameness, but you also recognize the artistry and evolution within the genre, especially when rap is used effectively within a broader musical context. Is that correct?
Yes that is exactly right. Good job, somebody took notes. I try to appreciate as many kinds of music as possible, and I hope this analysis helps some people understand why a lot of rap seems similar.
sabrinachichi
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

JACKBOYS12 wrote:

Kendrick Lamar vs. Drake Beef Crashed the Genius Website
NOOOOO GENIUS.COM IS MY POOKIE
i swear this is a joke guys plz don't come after me

|ISFP-T|she/her/hers|12|clikkie, killjoy, and an american idiot|artist|drummer|
TWENTY-ONE PILOTS JUST BEING THE PILOTS
100th post

sabrinachichi
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

yeaaa bro fr i was readin @IfIWereARichMan posts and yes ur right like there's not an infinite amount of beats and sounds that sound good songs are gonna end up sounding the same eventually

100th post

IfIWereARichMan
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

sabrinachichi wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

yeaaa bro fr i was readin @IfIWereARichMan posts and yes ur right like there's not an infinite amount of beats and sounds that sound good songs are gonna end up sounding the same eventually
I think the ultimate destination of hip hop is to merge with subgenres of pop and rock music.
XBloodwrathX2
Scratcher
7 posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

IfIWereARichMan wrote:

sabrinachichi wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

I think the ultimate destination of hip hop is to merge with subgenres of pop and rock music.

exactly
XXAnimelover4lXX
Scratcher
75 posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

IfIWereARichMan wrote:

sabrinachichi wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

Yes you're right I feel like that's a good route for hip hop

JACKBOYS12
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

Drake’s Toronto home the site of attempted break-in just one day after shooting, police say

Man Tries to Break In Drake's Mansion One Day After Shooting

Joe Biden’s Campaign Disses Donald Trump Using Kendrick Lamar ‘Euphoria’ Lyrics

Last edited by JACKBOYS12 (May 9, 2024 17:09:05)

I believe in me. Just believe in you. Let me do me. You like it? Cool. You don't?
-Ye
XxG0ld3nxX
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

sabrinachichi wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

Yeah. Eventually it gets repetitive, and I don't know how some people can listen to just rap or any kind of music, wouldn't they get bored? But that goes for every genre of music, eventually things sound repetitive. It's kind of like when the hype around superhero movies started to die down, they started getting repetitive until Spider Man: Into The Spiderverse came around and shook things up a bit with popularizing the multiverse idea and the animation style. Now everything seems to be doing a multiverse for their media, and more animated movies follow a Spiderverse style, so it's only a matter of time before something shakes that up, and something shakes hiphop and rap up.
Hopefully that makes sense

Last edited by XxG0ld3nxX (May 9, 2024 18:37:35)

i like first person shooters and music
I think you did good! I think you did good, well, maybe not that good considering that you're…. okay goodbye -Mirage
Were it so easy. - The Arbiter
Monsoon_Man
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

AU-Ratcatcher wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

Yes, absolutely

you gotta spice up what you listen to, usually every week I try to listen to at least 1-3 albums that I've never listened to before, it can be from any genre. When I'm not feeling rap, I go to something close, like R+B Pop, and I'll just put myself on some Frank Ocean, SZA, and Daniel Caesar. When I don't want to listen to anything like that, I'll go to something like Alternative Rock and put on some Tame Impala or maybe even some Cream. I like to spice things up a lot and vary the content in my playlists. Rap doesn't sound anything the same if you listen to a variety of different sounds and subgenres. But if you stick to the same things and aren't willing to branch out, it will get bland.

“Nothing in life is promised except death. Know your worth!” - The Old Kanye
AU-Ratcatcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

Monsoon_Man wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

AU-Ratcatcher wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

Yes, absolutely

you gotta spice up what you listen to, usually every week I try to listen to at least 1-3 albums that I've never listened to before, it can be from any genre. When I'm not feeling rap, I go to something close, like R+B Pop, and I'll just put myself on some Frank Ocean, SZA, and Daniel Caesar. When I don't want to listen to anything like that, I'll go to something like Alternative Rock and put on some Tame Impala or maybe even some Cream. I like to spice things up a lot and vary the content in my playlists. Rap doesn't sound anything the same if you listen to a variety of different sounds and subgenres. But if you stick to the same things and aren't willing to branch out, it will get bland.
Yeah but all the popular stuff is exactly the same

“hi!”
- Me
sabrinachichi
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

Monsoon_Man wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

AU-Ratcatcher wrote:

XXAnimelover4lXX wrote:

Yes, absolutely

yea like usually i ask my friends for music and that's how i know a lot of songs. i mean sometimes i dont like them, but a lot of times i do, and that's why my music taste is so big.
also if anyone wants to see my fave songs playlist (it's like 400+ songs but whatever im still sharing it lol)

Last edited by sabrinachichi (May 9, 2024 20:27:10)

100th post

Codey9
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

IfIWereARichMan wrote:

I ain't reading allat buddy

CHECK OUT MY NEW TOURNAMENT:
@NoCommunicationTournaments

Each team that competes can have no interaction between their members. If you want to join, go here:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/959971233/

Codey9 | Critical thinker | INTJ | Screenwriter, Artist, and Game Maker
I could sell my house and move out to L.A.
Get inside of rooms with the biggest of names
Hire fifty people just to give me advice
On the way I should write
Oh God!
Sounds like a nightmare, if you ask me!

MOTTO ~ NF
JACKBOYS12
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

Dang, even Google wants Kendrick Lamar over Drake.

I believe in me. Just believe in you. Let me do me. You like it? Cool. You don't?
-Ye
mandofan2
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hip Hop/Rap Forum

JACKBOYS12 wrote:

Dang, even Google wants Kendrick Lamar over Drake.
Who in gods green earth is routing for drake?ya

hi. I'm mandfan, owner of MFC, and a huge marvel nerd. I collect comics, and own over 250 comics. I have watched all marvel movies, except thor 2 my offical account for comics is -MANDOFANCOMICS-