Discuss Scratch

lallaway12
Scratcher
100+ posts

How to give helpful suggestions about Scratch: Scratch Design Goals

Raspberry Pi

GPIO blocks

start GPIO |1v|

See my blog ITS MAD so subscribe comment and enjoy http://lallawayrandom.blogspot.co.uk/ ask me what to put up there
Feed my dragons
blob8108
Scratcher
1000+ posts

joefarebrother wrote:

There should be some backward compatability with 1.4: if I make some changes to a project online, but without using any of the 2.0-specific features, then it should be possible to open that project in 1.4 again.
You can use Kurt! http://kurt.herokuapp.com/

tosh · slowly becoming a grown-up adult and very confused about it
FireBird2003
Scratcher
100+ posts

Here's my question/suggestion:I think there should be an option, for custom blocks, to be able to code custom blocks as an alternative to making custom blocks out of existing blocks?

The Positives:

*In a way,Scratch Mods will be more accessible
*Doing so will enlarge the boundaries of Scratch
*People who are more accustomed to coding in specific languages than Scratch can make projects more easily
*People won't need to download modded projects anymore

The Negatives:

*Doing so will basically eliminate the need for the AT section in the discussion forums and Scratch Mods
*People will have no need to look at the dev console except for looking at examples of code

Example Pic:

Last edited by FireBird2003 (Oct. 8, 2013 21:53:16)

According to a WEBSITE, I have an I.Q. of 113!
Sandro318
Scratcher
100+ posts

http://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/19238/

Nice news: GP has been released as a public beta.
What is GP??? GP is a free, general-purpose blocks programming language (similar to MIT's Scratch) that is powerful yet easy to learn. It runs on most platforms, including laptops, Chromebooks, tablets, and web browsers.

Try out the new beta version of GP now!
https://gpblocks.org
derpyduck
Scratcher
5 posts

We should have max 5 tags and add hashtags for easy search (e.g in comments and forums)
Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have seen other gamemakers thier not as good as scratch but scratch should a 3d editor motion with blender as the paint editor please I have looked forever and the rest are rubbish remember make it online and free.
patpat50
Scratcher
15 posts

I think scratch should have a view,love,and a fav count per player like on there profile page I could say how meny view there projects have added up
bookworm7214
Scratcher
100+ posts

I've got to say, Scratch is amazing. I completely agree with the low-floor-wide-walls-high-ceiling analogy. I've got just 2 questions though. Is the Scratch 2.0 offline editor a complete offline version of Scratch? Like Scratch 1.4? Because I own a Pi and it won't work, and Pis don't support Flash so I can't code online either . Also, are you still going to keep Scratch 1.4? Because I still use that, as I cannot get 2.0.
Thanks!
bookworm7214

Last edited by bookworm7214 (Dec. 23, 2013 12:13:26)

Original text:
“Scratch is an educational programming language aimed at children. It was developed in MIT, America.”
..35 translations later, Bing gives us:
“Australia Institute created the children's education, it doesn't matter.”
The above translation is courtesy of Akuna Bad Translator.
Please welcome my sister, gingerninja97, to the Scratch website!
< You (or more correctly, lesser known Scratchers) won't be unknown anymore.
SEC9_NINJA
Scratcher
25 posts

you should add a new type of way to make projects and one of them should be pixels right where you change from bitmap to vector and you should add a new way to create a new way to make profiles by adding a new page when creating a profile where you can add a teacher so if your a teacher you can manage the profiles that it is listed to control and same thing just a little differnt for parent ones so thats it.

This is the scratch project competition.Every month will be a different competion. In order to sign up please list all team members.

~~~Rules~~~
1. 1-5 members per team
2. must FOLLOW the game guidelines (will be givin each month)
3. Game CAN NOT have other peoples work in it besides the teams work
4.For project name please put the month for the competition (Below)
LRGonzales
Scratcher
17 posts

Lightnin awesomely wrote:

If Scratch was a room, it would have a low floor, wide walls, and a high ceiling.

* Low floor: It should be easy to climb in and get started with Scratch - even for Scratchers who have no experience programming.

* Wide walls: Scratchers should be able to make all kinds of things with Scratch - not just animations and games, but news programs, science experiments - things we can't even imagine.

* High Ceiling: Even though it's easy for someone who is new to programming to get started with Scratch, it should still be possible to make complex stuff.
Woah! That analogy is awesome!

when green flag clicked
say [Uh, hey! I'm LRGonzales!] for (4) secs
switch costume to [pleeease v]
say [Could you check out some of my projects? They're pretty solid!] for (5) secs
honeyr2
Scratcher
80 posts

I was think that Scratch could add…

1) (this might be hard) A boolean input that can detect what letter a person is saying. This idea came from the thought of having a program that can write down what you are saying. Anyway, phones and ipads and all can do it, so why don't Scratch make a boolean input for it?

2) You know how there are sprites from the library? Well, I was thinking that you should add a sprite that has all the charachters on a keyboard. I made a homemade version of all the keys you can press for a Scratch font in all uppercase (to me, Scratch font looks like it is meant to be uppercase). Then, I saved the sprite to a file. It even has a degrees sign! My text sprite's costumes aren't all lined up, but it doesn't matter. The thing is, I think this would be useful for other Scratchers.

3) A nice, easy - to - understand, how - to on variables, lists, making your own block, cloud data, broadcasting and video sensing. I had/have trouble with those things. You don't have to do those things, but I would do cloud data, lists and data. It seems like a lot of Scratchers don't understand that.

4) An array - making - thingy. My mom works with code to make websites, and she has tried Scratch. She has been beggingg me to make a tic - tac - toe game. I finally did do it, but I gave up because it got too hard. She also wants to make battleship and a card game (I forget what's it's called) where you have to have cards that add up close to 21. Any higher, you lose the round. She wants an array to do battleship. The bad thing is, though, since she doesn't have enough time, she'd probably tell me to do it. (Tip: She has no expeirence with lists. The only project she shared was a rock - paper - scissors game.) I thought arrays were for doing multiplication and division!
Contest101-test
Scratcher
78 posts

The new scratcher status sorta heightens the floor…

This is Contest101's test account.

My OS Automatically changes for holidays! How cool is that?
IAmAFunnyMonkey
Scratcher
11 posts

how about increasing the limit on the amount of cloud variables? it would make it easier to make unique-to-the-user projects easier to make, like this one http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/19342098/ . I f there is a reason why that cant happen, what is it?
set [cloud variable limit v] to [9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999990]
SammyGabenaggs
Scratcher
5 posts

Has Games!!!
Greatguy123
Scratcher
500+ posts

Question: Is there a certain amount of supporters needed for an idea to be considered? If so, how many?

The evil if block is hungry! >:-D
tigergirlG
Scratcher
100+ posts

We should be able to see who views your project. This will be especially helpful for contest entries. Does anyone agree with me?

Sometimes, I see comments that say “I hate this” or “Bad project”. These make the creator feel sad. They probably worked really hard on a project. Be nice to others and help them have a good day. It will make you and the person you are being nice to feel good and then you'll have a good day and so will the other person. So be nice.
Stop bullying and be nice.
Check out my page and projects.

- tigergirlG
Greatguy123
Scratcher
500+ posts

tigergirlG wrote:

We should be able to see who views your project. This will be especially helpful for contest entries. Does anyone agree with me?
You should create a new topic about this.

The evil if block is hungry! >:-D
robinpumpkinCATZ
Scratcher
14 posts

I think there should be a button to choose whether people can remix projects or not.It would stop a lot of art theft on the site.
gateway12
Scratcher
4 posts

I thought of a very useful idea to be implemented into scratch, the ability to collaborate in real time with a 2nd person. If someone moves adds a block or changes a variable, you will see that change almost instantly. I got this idea from Google documents. When someone changes text in your document, you see the change instantly. This would make collaboration between 2 people on a game or animation much easier.
I am not sure if this is where you post stuff like this. If its not please let me know.

-gateway12 =^_^=
ScratchJahd2011
Scratcher
500+ posts

robinpumpkinCATZ wrote:

I think there should be a button to choose whether people can remix projects or not.It would stop a lot of art theft on the site.

That suggestion was and will still be rejected because, if you don't want people to remix it, don't share it.

…..