Discuss Scratch

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher
100+ posts

How to give helpful suggestions about Scratch: Scratch Design Goals

I can see many improvements to the website since my last visit. Keep up the good work ST!

Running Google Chrome on Windows 7.

Unidentified Flying Glitch
leeboy5
Scratcher
52 posts

I am not pleased with the new project creator of Scratch 2.0. It is much more confusing to use, especially when editing or creating sprites. There are no set line sizes, making it impossible for you to make sprites the same size. There is also no simple way to make one specific sprite costume larger or smaller. The only way has you dragging them to size, which should only be an aditional option. In scratch 1.4, there are inlarge and shrink buttons. Dragging them to size makes it impossible for sprites and costumes to match up. I see there are buttons to enlarge or shrink the entire sprite, but not specific costumes of it. The biggest problems come with the text. I cant find any spots where you can select text size. It makes it very complicated and confusing. You also cant edit a word or change its color. You have to completely erase it, and recreate it. The eraser is also a problem. It does not have the ability to be big enough. It is always the same size as the drawing lines, making it difficult to erase.

I like a lot of the new abilities that Scratch 2.0 is offering, but I think its being made more complicated than it needs to be. I think all the functions of the Scratch 1.4 sprite editor should be kept, but also include the edition of new Scratch 2.0 functions, rather than be replaced by them.

Last edited by leeboy5 (April 30, 2013 01:17:22)

TheHovster
Scratcher
1 post

It would be great if scratch had a feature to be able to tell your variables where to go and if the must be a slider, large icon, ect. If you keep your projects on a memory stick it will go back to it's original place, which is in the top left hand corner of the scratch screen. Every time i open up my project i have to place the variables where i want them again.
NITROgaming
Scratcher
13 posts

I would love to have a button on Scratch that allows me to get back the old pixel limit like on scratch 1, i love pixel games and scratch 2 makes making equal pixels virtually impossible. Really love being able to design your own script it will save a lot of time and memory though, and the in browser editor for if i am not on my computer, say at school. Hope a port comes soon to the Raspberry pi!!!!

Visit my site at

www.n2o1gaming.weebly.com to play some great games.

THANKS FOR LISTENING
WazzoTV
Scratcher
4 posts

I still have mixed feelings. I feel like there was no purpose to even do this, and it has changed so much it's gonna take a while for me to get used to it. How do you put your projects in the order you uploaded them?!?
penguin-lover2
Scratcher
3 posts

I think you should add a friend ( as in both agree) and follow so you can follow people you admire and have friend friends as well.
iwewiwew
Scratcher
10 posts

Something that has been bothering me with Scratch 1.4 is the inability to actually view the layers. You could do “go to front” then “go back (number in the order of layers) layers”, but if you want things to go to layer, lets say layer 3 then go back to the layer it was in before it gets very confusing and complicated. If there was a way to view what layer everything was and then change the layer# according to that, it would make a lot of things so much easier. For example: go front, wait until such and such then go to layer #5. This function would be really useful for a lot of projects that involve sprites that are in front of some but behind others that must go to front then switch back to what they were before. Also I only just discovered that there is a website for sharing Scratch projects and whatever, so I am not familiar with the Scratch community. So sorry for my ignorance, but what is “a sticky” forum thingy or whatever this is?
mytie
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOL!
I really like the clone block and in the scratch editor is getting to be more like other graphic programs such as inkscape!:D:cool:
Plus it's so easy to manage your projects because the scratch is entirely online you CAN just click the see code to update or to change instructions
or project notes you just click in the notes area and start typing!

Last edited by mytie (May 12, 2013 19:55:08)

when green flag clicked

The most overused block.
mytie
Scratcher
100+ posts

If I could Love and Favorite Scratch 2.0 I would!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when green flag clicked

The most overused block.
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

iwewiwew wrote:

Also I only just discovered that there is a website for sharing Scratch projects and whatever, so I am not familiar with the Scratch community. So sorry for my ignorance, but what is “a sticky” forum thingy or whatever this is?
Sticky thread. It's a forum thread that forever remains at the top of a designated forum thread list, usually because it contains a lot of useful information or it's an important discussion. A lot of forums on the Internet have the sticky thread feature.

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
mytie
Scratcher
100+ posts

I love pretty much everything new about scratch 2.0
but where's the gradient tool if there isn't could the scratch team put it back in?

when green flag clicked

The most overused block.
mytie
Scratcher
100+ posts

Iwould click the love it button for scratch but where's the gradient tool if there isn't could the scratch team put it back in?

when green flag clicked

The most overused block.
xepher
Scratcher
1 post

I know few people have probably asked about this yet, but could scratch 2.0 have multiple environments? I was working on a fighting game a while back and had to stop because the script was lagging out. If I could have had a script like:

if (p) pressed, enter (pause) environment

then the game was functioning as a pause menu, which I could adjust settings with and then:

if (p) is pressed, enter (game) environment

And, if it were possible, create an opening line of code which could be inserted into a big script saying “resume here.” That way, the script, which may reset the game and then begin again, could be started towards the middle, if that makes sense. This environments system could be used to make menus, mini games, maps for level selection like super Mario bros 3, the possibilities are endless, and in my opinion worthy of the Scratch society.
7734f
Scratcher
500+ posts

mytie wrote:

Iwould click the love it button for scratch but where's the gradient tool if there isn't could the scratch team put it back in?

In bitmap mode in the paint editor, go to the fill bucket tool, and select your gradient at the bottom.

gamer270
Scratcher
18 posts

I really want cloud lists!
Foxgirlgamer
Scratcher
100+ posts

I think avatars should be larger on profile pages. A lot of people I know have their own artwork in their avatars but it's smushed and pixely and I think there should be a chance to see it like as big as it is on the forums. As well some people have text in their avatars which can't be read if it's too small.
Food for thought.

;
Samueldora
Scratcher
100+ posts

The number of musical instruments is reduced compared to Scratch 1.4. This ruins one of my projects and worsens some others.
mytie
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 2.0 ISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS way
to COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

when green flag clicked

The most overused block.
mytie
Scratcher
100+ posts

i really like the part were scratch logs you off when you click the post a comment button.

when green flag clicked

The most overused block.
joefarebrother
Scratcher
500+ posts

There should be some backward compatability with 1.4: if I make some changes to a project online, but without using any of the 2.0-specific features, then it should be possible to open that project in 1.4 again.

And it was delicious! Play TBGs! Check out my Scheme Interpreter!
;