Discuss Scratch

blob8108
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta



I wrote a text-based Scratch project editor, called tosh.

Try it now!

Please:
  • Use it
  • Give constructive feedback, via forums/email/twitter/github/whatever
  • Comment on/love the Scratch project (can we maybe get it featured?)
  • Make projects with it, share them with the tag “tosh”, add them to the studio
  • Say nice things
  • Read the blog post

Open-source version to follow, since a couple of people have already expressed interest in modding. (Also I'd like to accept PRs!) It'll be 3-clause BSD licensed; probably I'll release the source tomorrow or next week.

Please use this thread to talk about tosh, tosh mods (unless they get super-big), programming languages, that sort of interesting thing. Please don't spam memes/quotes/irrelevant things here; I don't want this thread to get closed like the last one was! Irrelevant posts will be silently deleted.

“tosh on”

Last edited by blob8108 (April 11, 2016 13:46:27)

bobbybee
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

Awesome <3

“Ooo, can I call you Señorita Bee?” ~Chibi-Matoran
herohamp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

OMG YAYYAYYYAYYAYAYAYYAYAYYA I AHVW BEEEN WAITING FOR DISSS YAYYYYY

GUYS IF 7Snails get 200 followers he said he would delete his account! https://scratch.mit.edu/users/7Snails/
https://hampton.pw/ My Site
http://blobby.ga my game server that I run
comp09
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

Performance suggestions:
  • Add caching headers for assets. You'll save some money on bandwidth!
  • Optimize images (you should probably run that giant hero image through this)
  • Optimize SVGs on homepage using svgo (online version)

Other than that, you've done pretty well!

Thanks, Obama. You've been a great president.

Visit the website of Andrew Sun!



Play with a preview of the new Scratch Blocks: Horizontal | Vertical | Scratch VM | Scratch Render | Scratch GUI
blob8108
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

comp09 wrote:

Performance suggestions
Thanks for these! The JPG one in particular is pretty cool. I already ran those SVGs through svgo, as it happens

Could you tell me how to set up appropriate caching headers in nginx? Possibly through a different medium than this one
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

Yay! It sort of works on iPad. Why didn't you just report the old topic though?
scratchyone
Scratcher
100+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

Maybe you should make the “feedback” button bigger? It looks a little pixelated on my screen
blob8108
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

Jonathan50 wrote:

Why didn't you just report the old topic though?
Because I wanted a new one.

tosh is not supported on iPad, there's no way to save!
BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

Your github link is dead.

who needs signatures
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

comp09 wrote:

Performance suggestions:
  • Add caching headers for assets. You'll save some money on bandwidth!
  • Optimize images (you should probably run that giant hero image through this)
  • Optimize SVGs on homepage using svgo (online version)

Other than that, you've done pretty well!
Is it a good idea to host a website if you don't have unlimited broadband?
[/offtopic]
comp09
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

blob8108 wrote:

comp09 wrote:

Performance suggestions
Thanks for these! The JPG one in particular is pretty cool. I already ran those SVGs through svgo, as it happens

Could you tell me how to set up appropriate caching headers in nginx? Possibly through a different medium than this one
location ~* \.(gif|png|jpe?g|js|css|svg)$ {
    expires 1y;
}

You should add cache busters to your assets, either by appending a version number query string or just naming the files with a hash in your build process.

Thanks, Obama. You've been a great president.

Visit the website of Andrew Sun!



Play with a preview of the new Scratch Blocks: Horizontal | Vertical | Scratch VM | Scratch Render | Scratch GUI
blob8108
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

BookOwl wrote:

Your github link is dead.
Yeah. That's because I haven't open-sourced the repo yet
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

comp09 wrote:

blob8108 wrote:

comp09 wrote:

Performance suggestions
Thanks for these! The JPG one in particular is pretty cool. I already ran those SVGs through svgo, as it happens

Could you tell me how to set up appropriate caching headers in nginx? Possibly through a different medium than this one
location ~* \.(gif|png|jpe?g|js|css|svg)$ {
    expires 1y;
}

You should add cache busters to your assets, either by appending a version number query string or just naming the files with a hash in your build process.
One year? Does that mean that if blob8108 decides to update an image then people have to wait one year before the cache gets deleted and the image is updated??
nnsfa
Scratcher
31 posts

~tosh~ public beta

YAYAY
comp09
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

Jonathan50 wrote:

You should add cache busters to your assets, either by appending a version number query string or just naming the files with a hash in your build process.
One year? Does that mean that if blob8108 decides to update an image then people have to wait one year before the cache gets deleted and the image is updated??
Adding cache busters would let him “bust the caches” if he decides to update a file.

Thanks, Obama. You've been a great president.

Visit the website of Andrew Sun!



Play with a preview of the new Scratch Blocks: Horizontal | Vertical | Scratch VM | Scratch Render | Scratch GUI
djdolphin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

Are script comments not supported?

Google to find someone else's posts: ae2d2bcb-e9e3-4f9c-a847-290d71bd8bfd 222ec087-6694-42cf-8c41-064e9066f004
aWFtbml0cm9jaXBoZXI=80d463228430e6da3d72d989f4a27aca 80d463228430e6da3d72d989f4a27aca : 228430e6da3d72d989f4a27aca bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549 Vm0wd2QyVkZOVWRpUm1SWFYwZG9WbFl3WkRSV1ZsbDNXa1JTVjFadGVG ellipsepostpianolizard
technoboy10
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

off-topic, oops

Last edited by technoboy10 (April 8, 2016 21:03:32)


my github | my blog | scratcharchive.cf
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be” -Douglas Adams
blob8108
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

djdolphin wrote:

Are script comments not supported?
No, sorry. That's on the wishlist
blob8108
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

Blueinkproductions wrote:

blob8108 wrote:

You can see the full credits here, if you're interested.
That page shows up blank for me.
It's an RTF; your browser might try to download it?
good job. It looks quite nice.
Thanks!
djdolphin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~tosh~ public beta

blob8108 wrote:

djdolphin wrote:

Are script comments not supported?
No, sorry. That's on the wishlist
Ok. Tosh is great otherwise!

Google to find someone else's posts: ae2d2bcb-e9e3-4f9c-a847-290d71bd8bfd 222ec087-6694-42cf-8c41-064e9066f004
aWFtbml0cm9jaXBoZXI=80d463228430e6da3d72d989f4a27aca 80d463228430e6da3d72d989f4a27aca : 228430e6da3d72d989f4a27aca bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549 Vm0wd2QyVkZOVWRpUm1SWFYwZG9WbFl3WkRSV1ZsbDNXa1JTVjFadGVG ellipsepostpianolizard

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile