Discuss Scratch

Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

-ShadowOfTheFuture- wrote:

Support! I'd like this if it was an option that could be turned on and off.
Or if it was a setting somewhere, support

​I am Wahsp

Formerly pretty active on the forums, probably mostly retired now…
If you see one of my posts send me a hello!

Colorblind color scheme?

Support!

署名は、ディスカッションフォーラムの機能である。署名は、その人のすべての投稿の下部に追加される。署名は、BBCodeで記述できる。 署名を追加/変更/削除したい場合は、ディスカッションフォーラムのホームの一番下に行き、「Change your signature」を押す。署名の大きさは150pxまでである。これには、改行、画像を含む。- Japanese Scratch-Wiki 「署名
CoolGuyBug
Scratcher
100+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

Support. I think there should be a permanent block color changing feature, instead of a temporary one.

kenny2scratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

Hmm, 7 month bump, huh?

post brought to you by the preview links bug and previously the uploads site bug. 看一下中文 Scratch 維基想參加?請參考這頁
Join the Scratch Wiki!
Made by Scratchers, for Scratchers, since December 6, 2008

PrincessFlowerTV
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

Support! I am pretty sure you aren't the only user with this problem, and it seems like a pretty simple fix.
Do you have the same trouble with the colors in the new 3.0 scratch editor, or are the colors more defined?

{offtopic}The ST even made a topic in Announcements recently, accepting any suggestions to make Scratch more accessible for people with hearing/sight issues.{/offtopic}

Last edited by PrincessFlowerTV (Oct. 3, 2018 13:22:41)

Got to be good looking cause he's so hard to see -The Beatles

(Thank you @just-there from The Profile Picture Shop for the banner ^^)

Nothing's down here, sorry to disappoint you.

JK. there may be something down there…

Maybe not, tho.

You're determined, aren't you?

Talar du Svenska? Om inte, det ar fin.

Just stop it, will ya?

Fine, you win.

Take a rice cake. *yeets you a rice cake*
Say “Thanks for that rice cake, Kewpie!” if you made it this far.
TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

I agree, this is a serious issue on Scratch. At a little point in my life (like around a couple of hours), pink and red were extremely similar. I got rid of that (somehow). I don't think the color scheme should be switched, however. Maybe, there should be a colorblind option in the user settings. If it is switched on, then the color scheme is set to be easy for colorblind people to navigate it.

KJRYoshi07
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

Support, because a lot of people are colourblind and it would make coding easier for them.

moved accounts lol
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

Support for an option to change the colors. I'm not colorblind, so I don't see anything wrong with the color palettes, but some people might.
Additionally, some people might just like different colors.

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
KJRYoshi07
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

bump
first post in like a month

Last edited by KJRYoshi07 (Nov. 3, 2018 04:53:36)

moved accounts lol
KJRYoshi07
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

buump again

moved accounts lol
NilsTheBest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

I suppose this would definitely help thousands of others differentiate blocks, and make Scratch even more “open” for everyone.
Support ^^

NilsTheChair | 5 years on Scratch | 4000+ posts | former wiki editor | 332nd FPC | CoR founder
whiteandblackcat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

stickfiregames wrote:

Here's one that uses brightness more than the current ones, combined with NitroCipher's flat style idea for 3.0 (current on the left):

I think this should be OK but are variables and events too similar here? Maybe I should make variables closer to lists since they're in the same category.

It would be good if some people with other forms of colourblindness saw this. Does anyone here happen to know anyone else who has it?
i am not colour blind (that i know of), and i have a few things to mention…. i know that there are a lot of different types of colourblind, where you can see certain colours differently to others. would this mean that certain colourblind people would see certain parts as too similar depending on what colours they can see? that's what i assumed… the other thing i noticed is that the colour blind friendly blocks were a lot more saturated, and slightly harder on the eyes. I'm sure many scratchers would complain about this.
the other thing is that i find events and control very similar, while events and variables are different and easy to distinguish.

Hi, I'm Kat!
I'm not too active in the forums anymore, but I'm still active on scratch!
I'm a cohost of Scratch Writing Camp, running it with Alba, Birdi, Bakie, and Honey.

I love coding, maths (especially simultaneous equations and the quadratic formula!!!), art and writing (and also spreadsheets and responsibilities-)! I used to know 157 digits of pi, but I can only get to around 110 at the moment. I also love Minecraft :]

Here's some things I have been in the past:
- Forum helper member
- Buzzy Bee Banners secretary & banner maker
- Emerald Shop 4.0 Vice President
Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

whiteandblackcat wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

Here's one that uses brightness more than the current ones, combined with NitroCipher's flat style idea for 3.0 (current on the left):

I think this should be OK but are variables and events too similar here? Maybe I should make variables closer to lists since they're in the same category.

It would be good if some people with other forms of colourblindness saw this. Does anyone here happen to know anyone else who has it?
i am not colour blind (that i know of), and i have a few things to mention…. i know that there are a lot of different types of colourblind, where you can see certain colours differently to others. would this mean that certain colourblind people would see certain parts as too similar depending on what colours they can see? that's what i assumed… the other thing i noticed is that the colour blind friendly blocks were a lot more saturated, and slightly harder on the eyes. I'm sure many scratchers would complain about this.
the other thing is that i find events and control very similar, while events and variables are different and easy to distinguish.
According to a color blindness simulator app on my iPad, the colorblind scheme is effective for all three types of color blindness (Protanopia, Deuteranopia, Tritanopia), but I can agree it's not perfect. I've modified the color scheme a bit to fix two issues I found using the app:
- For tritanopes (blue-yellow colorblindness), I felt that the color of the operators blocks were a bit too close to the color of the sensing blocks, so I've adjusted the color to compensate.
- Also for tritanopes, I felt that the color of the sounds blocks were too close to the color of the variables blocks. The modified color scheme can be found in this Scratch project.
I am aware that the app I used may not be 100% accurate to what the colorblind see, but I hope that this modified color scheme would allow the colorblind to use Scratch more easily.

As for the suggestion itself, I support the addition of a colorblind mode, but I do agree that the colors are a bit obnoxious to look at for non-colorblind people, so I also think it should be optional.

Last edited by Flowermanvista (Sept. 29, 2020 20:07:25)

Add a SPOOKY SKELETON to your project!

The Scratch 3 Project Save Troubleshooter - find out why your project won't save

ST, Please Add A Warning When A Size Limit Is Exceeded

My Dumb Creations - THE BEST ANIMATION | The Windows 98 Experience (made on Windows 98) | nobody cares about Me… | the2000 Reveals His New Profile Picture | Not Dumb Creations - Ten Years
Ctrl+Shift+Down for more…
Do evil kumquats keep eating your signature? Assert your dominance and eat the evil kumquats. Did you know that kumquats are only about the size of an olive?
EIephant_Lover
Scratcher
500+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

I support this, especially with the super eyesore colors of 3.0.

I think that maybe they should also bring back the block color editor, but you can save it as your default color scheme so you don't have to change it every time, like in 2.0. This way people with any type of color blindness can find what work best for them. Also, people without color blindness could find what is most comfortable for their eyes, too!
BlueStarPort
Scratcher
100+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

Support. This would make Scratch easier for colourblind people.

EIephant_Lover wrote:

I think that maybe they should also bring back the block color editor, but you can save it as your default color scheme so you don't have to change it every time, like in 2.0.
YES! This would help my eyes and stop them from hurting whenever I code!
kenny2scratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

EIephant_Lover wrote:

super eyesore colors of 3.0
And, for me, Looks & Motion and Events & Control & Variables look near-identical

post brought to you by the preview links bug and previously the uploads site bug. 看一下中文 Scratch 維基想參加?請參考這頁
Join the Scratch Wiki!
Made by Scratchers, for Scratchers, since December 6, 2008

-Reshiram-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

How about, for colorblind mode, it uses symbols for different block groups?

Here's a link to my mockup. I can't post pictures or hyperlinks due to being a New Scratcher.
http://u.cubeupload.com/leapinleopardstar/mockup.png

I am now @SquirreIstar with an i, as in “I used to be -Reshiram-”
D-ScratchNinja
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

Here's the image from the previous post:

I think it would be possible for shapes to be added to blocks. In my example, if color-blind mode was on, then to the left of every block in the Motion category, there would be a circle. In looks, a square. You could memorize the shapes the same way you could memorize the color, and then you could tell them apart.

D-ScratchNinja • he/him
- The following is my signature, which always shows up below my posts. -

New! Filter through my projects with my website.

Need to fix an issue? Check out this studio for solutions to some common problems!

OS: Windows 11 / Browser: Microsoft Edge / Time zone: PST/PDT
-Reshiram-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

bump

I am now @SquirreIstar with an i, as in “I used to be -Reshiram-”
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Colorblind color scheme?

D-ScratchNinja wrote:

Here's the image from the previous post:
-snip-
I think it would be possible for shapes to be added to blocks. In my example, if color-blind mode was on, then to the left of every block in the Motion category, there would be a circle. In looks, a square. You could memorize the shapes the same way you could memorize the color, and then you could tell them apart.
That's a good idea!

Last edited by WindOctahedron (Dec. 19, 2019 20:19:46)

The message above may contain wrong information, rude remarks, or something embarrassing to my current self. In this case, please ignore it and remember that I likely wrote it back when I didn't know what “respect” truly meant. I really hate thinking about it again.