Discuss Scratch

rosevine1000
Scratcher
45 posts

School Computers

Honestly, I don't use school computers very often because I find them boring (since I have my own). No real problems with my school's computers EXCEPT, they take forever to log into if you're signing in for the first time on one.

Example:

Susie logs into a computer that she has never used before (but has an account)

Hi! We're getting you set up!

*50 hours later*

Susie can go on

❝Everyone said to Vincent van Gogh, “You can't be a great painter, you only have one ear.” And you know what he said? "I can't hear you.❞
― Steve Carell
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

School Computers

rosevine1000 wrote:

Honestly, I don't use school computers very often because I find them boring (since I have my own). No real problems with my school's computers EXCEPT, they take forever to log into if you're signing in for the first time on one.

Example:

*50 hours later*

Susie can go on

Are you sure that isn't an exaggeration? 50 hours seems like a lot.

Your school then allows bring your own device, correct?

Infrequently active.

It feels weird to see how far we've come. I hope you're well, wherever you are!
Hans5958
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

ResExsention wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

Hans5958 wrote:

Some people wrote:

something about Brave Browser
Speaking about Brave, I won't trust a browser that promotes itself everywhere and also gives incentives in some cryptocurrency if you allow some ads.
But CrYpTo

I do use Brave, but not for much. It's better than Chrome IMO.

Yeah. I'm typing this in Brave right now. You know, at least Brave isn't leaden with tons of Google trackers. Unlike Chrome.

Firefox is the best. They even block trackers by default. #FirefoxFTW

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

what's the point of schools having computers if you can't do anything on them

imagine you dont have public computers, this post was made by library computer gang

rosevine1000 wrote:

Example:

*50 hours later*

Susie can go on

Our school only has one user account per computer. I rarely see somebody had a user account for their organization, except for one tutor organization.

Last edited by Hans5958 (June 6, 2019 11:36:58)

Just an ordinary Scratcher who makes projects and surfs the forums.
Main accountAlternative accountMain account projectsAlternative account projectsMain website (GitHub) • 398 posts as of 20 June 2021

Google for my posts: ZjpZ867tgFSohdGEMaeyXSvAQSyXk5Ew • Google users, please click this link to see the full post.
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

School Computers

Hans5958 wrote:

————-

————-

imagine you dont have public computers, this post was made by library computer gang

————-

Our school only has one user account per computer. I rarely see somebody had a user account for their organization, except for one tutor organization.

That's outrageous! Brave is the best browser ever! They have an ad, tracker, cookie, and script blocker, and there's also an option to route your connection through the Tor network! Firefox can't exactly do that… Plus, Brave is FOSS.

Though honestly, if I needed deep web access I would say that Tor would be the best browser.

————-

————-

Oh wow. You have that many computers? How big is your school? 1000 students or 100?

Last edited by ResExsention (June 6, 2019 11:46:18)

Infrequently active.

Hans5958
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

ResExsention wrote:

Hans5958 wrote:

————-

————-

That's outrageous! Brave is the best browser ever! They have an ad, tracker, cookie, and script blocker, and there's also an option to route your connection through the Tor network! Firefox can't exactly do that… Plus, Brave is FOSS.

Though honestly, if I needed deep web access I would say that Tor would be the best browser.

————-

Oh wow. You have that many computers? How big is your school? 1000 students or 100?

but Tor is built from Firefox

————-

The school has 120 computer for school tests and such. They are divided into 3 labs. We also have 2 computers in the library. I think our school has 900+ students.

EDIT: We also have a course management system (search: moodle), so if the labs are full, we can use our phones to do tests.

Last edited by Hans5958 (June 6, 2019 12:25:59)

Main accountAlternative accountMain account projectsAlternative account projectsMain website (GitHub) • 398 posts as of 20 June 2021

Google for my posts: ZjpZ867tgFSohdGEMaeyXSvAQSyXk5Ew • Google users, please click this link to see the full post.
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

School Computers

Hans5958 wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Hans5958 wrote:

————-

————-

————-

————-

The school has 120 computer for school tests and such. They are divided into 3 labs. We also have 2 computers in the library. I think our school has 900+ students.

EDIT: We also have a course management system (search: moodle), so if the labs are full, we can use our phones to do tests.

The difference between Tor and Firefox is that Tor allows access to the deep web. Firefox doesn't.

I'd say that Firefox would be for those who want a simple, clean, fast browser; Brave for those who would like their beloved Chrome open sourced and privacy oriented; and Tor if you want ultra privacy and to go to the hidden deep web that is totally not illegal.

Actually, you could go to the deep web no questions asked, but it's what you do there that decides whether the police breach your house tonight. Or not. They'd probably breach the house of someone across the world who's operating the exit node. I've been there a few times, it's really boring, honestly. I don't go to the deep web that much anymore.

————-

I must say, it is theoretically impossible to have 900 students sharing 120 computers, and each computer has a single account.

————-

Oooh Moodle. Once upon a time I used Moodle for distance education.

Infrequently active.

opaline
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

I can’t even go to ytmp3.cc for converting YouTube to mp3 at my school

I'm opaline, aka opal.
Waluigi is in my game!
opaline
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

Hi

We’re getting everything ready for you

This might take several minutes

*seven hours*

Almost there

Me: a senior high schooler. Time flies by

Let’s get started!

Me: *dying of hunger and thirst!*

I'm opaline, aka opal.
Waluigi is in my game!
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

School Computers

opaline wrote:

I like to use y2mate to get those videos converted.

Infrequently active.

opaline
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

My engineering computers take forever to load btw.

Me: tries to load AutoDesk inventor

*computer is being a bodacious idiot*

Me: *waits five minutes*
*ten minutes*
*sometimes all day, lol!*

I'm opaline, aka opal.
Waluigi is in my game!
opaline
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

ResExsention wrote:

opaline wrote:

I like to use y2mate to get those videos converted.

Thanks mah boi

I'm opaline, aka opal.
Waluigi is in my game!
Hans5958
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

ResExsention wrote:

Hans5958 wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Hans5958 wrote:

————-

————-

————-

————-

The difference between Tor and Firefox is that Tor allows access to the deep web. Firefox doesn't.

I'd say that Firefox would be for those who want a simple, clean, fast browser; Brave for those who would like their beloved Chrome open sourced and privacy oriented; and Tor if you want ultra privacy and to go to the hidden deep web that is totally not illegal.

Actually, you could go to the deep web no questions asked, but it's what you do there that decides whether the police breach your house tonight. Or not. They'd probably breach the house of someone across the world who's operating the exit node. I've been there a few times, it's really boring, honestly. I don't go to the deep web that much anymore.

————-

I must say, it is theoretically impossible to have 900 students sharing 120 computers, and each computer has a single account.

————-

Wait, you ever got police in front of your door??

————-

Well, we just use the default Windows account and then log into our Moodle account with the browser on the computer. It's that simple.

Last edited by Hans5958 (June 6, 2019 13:07:49)

Scratcher
500+ posts

School Computers

Hans5958 wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Hans5958 wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Hans5958 wrote:

————-

————-

————-

————-

————-

————-

————-

Well, we just use the default Windows account and then log into our Moodle account with the browser on the computer. It's that simple.

Someone has been accessing Deep Web from the school

But to be honest, they said Tor has good security and good on hiding their sites due to the fact it bounces net traffic in random. Removing each encryption. So it could take a while to go into it because of the randomness.

In fact even Facebook has its own Tor version. IDK What it was nor I forgot what it is, I've read an article about it.

But the only negative thing you can meet in Tor is that you can break the law using it. Buying illegal stuff or even killing someone, some even accesses your data.
findanegg
Scratcher
500+ posts

School Computers

chromebooks are so trash

>google made computer
>only purpose is to run google chrome, made by google
>run google docs in google chrome in google chromebook
>these are all made by the same company
>somehow, some way, still finds a way to lag

it me. the bisexual indie softboi. no pronouns (do not refer to me). currents is a bad album
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

ResExsention wrote:

Hans5958 wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Hans5958 wrote:

————-

————-

————-

————-

————-

————-

You do realize that Firefox is completely FOSS as well, right?

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

School Computers

Hans5958 wrote:

No of course not! The deep web… It's not illegal until you start doing [DATA EXPUNGED] (let's protect the kids) or falling into scams. I've been there before and to the hidden wiki, no the police did not come. But you should see all the sites on the hidden wiki. Such as the place where you can hire a “hacker” and pay in BTC. I don't believe it.

102039134 wrote:

Someone has been accessing Deep Web from the school

But to be honest, they said Tor has good security and good on hiding their sites due to the fact it bounces net traffic in random. Removing each encryption. So it could take a while to go into it because of the randomness.

In fact even Facebook has its own Tor version. IDK What it was nor I forgot what it is, I've read an article about it.

But the only negative thing you can meet in Tor is that you can break the law using it. Buying illegal stuff or even killing someone, some even accesses your data.

How!!! What happened to the student? Got a very stern talking-to about doing “illegal” things?

You're correct. The deep web itself isn't illegal. Let me explain.

There are two parts to the Internet. There is the light web (as I call it) and it's the Internet you see every day. Like DuckDuckGo or the Scratch website.

Then there's the deep web. It's a lot larger than the light web and the government doesn't monitor it. Also, you can't just find it in a regular search engine. You need to be using the correct browser (one of which is Tor) and must have the exact link of the website. Links in the deep web end with .onion

Part of the deep web is called the dark web. Obviously, since there's nobody around, people would be bound to start doing illegal things, so they basically got their own section of Internet where they can do that. The dark web is where you would find [DATA EXPUNGED] and “hackers” for hire.

Accessing the deep or dark web isn't illegal by itself. Actually, it's what you do there that matters. For example, you can't possibly be arrested for going to the deep web and browsing the site of a “hacker” for hire. After all, you aren't hurting anyone, and you aren't doing anything illegal. However, it becomes illegal once you hire the guy.

————-

Yes, Tor bounces your connection 3 times through several networks around the world. The first one is the guard node, then the middle node, and then the exit node. Anybody can operate a Tor node, however it is highly recommended you don't do it at home because if somebody does something illegal and it comes through your your node the police might come and breach your house. So do it in a large institution or something that supports Tor.

————-

Facebook has “Tor”? I highly recommend nobody use that. Facebook will probably just track you the whole way. So much for the onion of protection.

findanegg wrote:

chromebooks are so trash

>google made computer
>only purpose is to run google chrome, made by google
>run google docs in google chrome in google chromebook
>these are all made by the same company
>somehow, some way, still finds a way to lag

There is a specific word for that:

anticompetitive adjective

tending to reduce or discourage competition

that's right. Google will only let you use Google services on a Chromebook because they don't want other companies' software competing with them on their devices. Between Google or Microsoft (both anticompetitive), I'd take Microsoft any day. Why do schools love ChromeOS so much?

Infrequently active.

modedii
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

ResExsention wrote:

-snip-
Why do schools love ChromeOS so much?
They likely get more offers/deals on buying Chromebooks in bulk, they're “safer” than Windows in the “less people have made viruses” sense, and they have nearly 100% control on all of the settings much more easily than on Windows.

Mac is too expensive and Linux isn't really bundled with laptops usually.

I'm Modedii
———————————–
“Analyse what feelings are made of, hey!
Try to see through everything, hey, give it a try…”

———————————–
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

School Computers

modedii wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

-snip-
They likely get more offers/deals on buying Chromebooks in bulk, they're “safer” than Windows in the “less people have made viruses” sense, and they have nearly 100% control on all of the settings much more easily than on Windows.

Aside from that, schools are setting up their students to be tracked for life.

I remember one of my classmates, she did an opinion presentation about how Google was better than Yahoo. Afterwards I'm like “that's ridiculous”

She went like “but Google's security is better than Yahoo's–”

"But I don't use Yahoo. Google protects you from the outside so they can track you in peace."

Infrequently active.

DatOneLefty
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

ResExsention wrote:

modedii wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

-snip-

I remember one of my classmates, she did an opinion presentation about how Google was better than Yahoo. Afterwards I'm like “that's ridiculous”

"But I don't use Yahoo. Google protects you from the outside so they can track you in peace."
honestly being tracked by Google but it being all kept to themselves is better than ISPs selling everything they can find

Scratch data available at ScratchDB (Status)

ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

School Computers

DatOneLefty wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

modedii wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

-snip-

honestly being tracked by Google but it being all kept to themselves is better than ISPs selling everything they can find

I guess you're right. Google owns three advertising firms. I'm assuming that Google doesn't sell your information, and instead passes it on to its own ad department. However, what I don't like about Google is that they would divulge your information if the government asks for it. Governments have no right to lord over us.

Right?

sure you support the PATRIOT act but really? I'm not even in America.

Last edited by ResExsention (June 7, 2019 03:54:22)

Infrequently active.