Discuss Scratch

cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

♬ OpenSprites - Development Topic ☁

Well, I've decided now. Its called OpenSprites and we have a GitHub organization for those who want to help. Just say and I'll add you.
liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Please add me! I can work on some front-end HTML. But how will you get the upload/download to work if you're hosting it through GitHub?

EDIT: My username is liam4 and my Cloud9 is liam4.

Last edited by liam48D (Jan. 31, 2015 14:12:03)

202e-202e-202e-202e-202e UNI-CODE~~~~~
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

liam48D wrote:

Please add me! I can work on some front-end HTML. But how will you get the upload/download to work if you're hosting it through GitHub?

It's not being hosted with GitHub, I'm going to temporarily host it on a subdomain of my website until development is almost done. From there, I'll buy a domain and a hosting package. I'll add you, but bear in mind that development won't start until there are a few more collaborators.
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Awesome! Could you invite me?

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

Awesome! Could you invite me?
Done.
PullJosh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cheeseeater wrote:

liam48D wrote:

It's not being hosted with GitHub, I'm going to temporarily host it on a subdomain of my website until development is almost done. From there, I'll buy a domain and a hosting package. I'll add you, but bear in mind that development won't start until there are a few more collaborators.
Use x10hosting.com! It works great, amazing uptime, and it's free.
I wasn't paid to say that…
goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Woah, looks nice! Could I do frontend?
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PullJosh wrote:

cheeseeater wrote:

liam48D wrote:

Use x10hosting.com! It works great, amazing uptime, and it's free.
I wasn't paid to say that…
I did make an account with them to host my own site, and then I guess I changed my mind. Their paid plans are quite reasonable too, so I'll go make an account and set it up.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the type of layout the site should have? We need to plan before diving in, really.
cauzality
Scratcher
100+ posts

I might be able to help, but have a lot on my plate and time is limited for extra things. I'm good with html5, css3, js/jquery stuff so front-end i guess. I do want to pick up php though but not there yet. What sort of things are needed on the front end? Also, are you going to use a cms like wordpress or drupal or something?

Last edited by cauzality (Jan. 31, 2015 16:15:30)

cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cauzality wrote:

I might be able to help, but have a lot on my plate and time is limited for extra things. I'm good with html5, css3, js/jquery stuff so front-end i guess. I do want to pick up php though but not there yet. What sort of things are needed on the front end? Also, are you going to use a cms like wordpress or drupal or something?
With the frontend, I'm looking to create a stylish, but simple homepage, as well as a page for accessing content. Interactive elements and content would be a bonus too, which could be something that HTML5 and JS could help with. Even though it's not completely essential, user accounts would also add extra functionality to the site.

I'm not planning to use a CMS because I don't really like messing around with them. I also have a reluctance to use third-party stuff.

Last edited by cheeseeater (Jan. 31, 2015 16:32:53)

cauzality
Scratcher
100+ posts

I would recommend the CMS but that's okay.

Personally, I usually make pictures of the site's pages I want to make in inkscape to design it, then I start coding. If you explained the features you want it to have I could make “concept art” that I think would be do-able for you to critique. Or if you made an image I could work on realizing structure and styling for it. (FYI: won't be able to work on this this weekend, and only off and on at best during weeks obviously.) Good idea?

user accounts I can't help with, that would be php backend. So would all the searching and fetching of assets. But I can code a lot of fun, interactive gui stuff by hand and I could help design. Also, I know little about security.

Maybe I will look around for media player options in HTML5 or JS so once php pulls content from the server, the user could experience in browser before downloading to a non-temp directory. Unless you know of embeds/plugins you want to use already?
goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

goldfish678 wrote:

andrewjcole
Scratcher
500+ posts

I can help. My computer has been having issues, but I'll be able to work on some front end and possibly a bit of PHP. I'm andrewjcole on Github

cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

goldfish678 wrote:

goldfish678 wrote:

Sure! Sorry, I didn't see your post. What is your GitHub account name?

cauzality wrote:

I would recommend the CMS but that's okay.

Personally, I usually make pictures of the site's pages I want to make in inkscape to design it, then I start coding. If you explained the features you want it to have I could make “concept art” that I think would be do-able for you to critique. Or if you made an image I could work on realizing structure and styling for it. (FYI: won't be able to work on this this weekend, and only off and on at best during weeks obviously.) Good idea?

user accounts I can't help with, that would be php backend. So would all the searching and fetching of assets. But I can code a lot of fun, interactive gui stuff by hand and I could help design. Also, I know little about security.

Maybe I will look around for media player options in HTML5 or JS so once php pulls content from the server, the user could experience in browser before downloading to a non-temp directory. Unless you know of embeds/plugins you want to use already?
Thanks for offering your help! I'll take up your offer on a concept art; Inkscape isn't my strong point. The site should have a light colour theme. Light blue (#86C9C6) and a light colour (#C6DDDB) would be a nice combination, or the colour scheme off this site. The main page should have a box at the top near the top of the page explaining what the site is. A navigation bar similar to Scratch's would site at the top. Below the introduction box there should be a box with a carousel for recently uploaded/approved media. I hope this is descriptive enough, but if not please ask. I'm not quite sure what else to feature on the main page, so if you have any suggestions, please add them in. Thanks a lot!
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

andrewjcole wrote:

I can help. My computer has been having issues, but I'll be able to work on some front end and possibly a bit of PHP. I'm andrewjcole on Github
I've added you to both teams. Thanks for being a collaborator!
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The website shall be hosted here once we have produced a stable release. I'll purchase a domain and premium plan once the site starts to receive media.
BigBlueBlock
Scratcher
500+ posts

Finally, I've read the topic(walls of text included). I might join, but like andrewjcole I am having computer issues currently.
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Can you add me to the organization?

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
cauzality
Scratcher
100+ posts

cheeseeater wrote:

Thanks for offering your help! I'll take up your offer on a concept art…

Cool. Hopefully Monday I can put some time into this and get back to you with some ideas.
cheeseeater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BigBlueBlock wrote:

Finally, I've read the topic(walls of text included). I might join, but like andrewjcole I am having computer issues currently.
I understand. I'm guessing your laptop isn't back yet?

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Can you add me to the organization?
Done! I'm assuming you'd like to work on both ends?

cauzality wrote:

cheeseeater wrote:

Thanks for offering your help! I'll take up your offer on a concept art…

Cool. Hopefully Monday I can put some time into this and get back to you with some ideas.
Thanks, your help is much appreciated!