Discuss Scratch

TheCommCraft
Scratcher
500+ posts

Free hosting options for python. (Used for scratchattach servers and similar)

-cloudcoding- wrote:

(#60)
I totally forgot, Codesandbox.io's devboxes might work… I don't full understand them though.
They have a monthly limit afaik
edit: 20 hours per month
ps: king

Last edited by TheCommCraft (April 20, 2024 14:48:07)

Random Project

spamton.gif

DUNGEON_EXPLORATION_03_02_23_01
COMPILED VERSION FOR HIGHER SPEED
TheCommCraft
Scratcher
500+ posts

I saw someone somewhere mention glitch.com, maybe that is a viable option

Random Project

spamton.gif

TheCommCraft
Scratcher
500+ posts

glitch.com works great

Random Project

spamton.gif

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheCommCraft wrote:

glitch.com works great
it has an ancient version of Python (3.8) which is long EOL at this point

TheCommCraft
Scratcher
500+ posts

Yeah, ok and it's also not working anymore

Random Project

spamton.gif

bigspeedfpv
Scratcher
500+ posts

https://www.shuttle.rs/ for rust

most of your apps don't need to be always running anyway, i don't think i've seen a single backend in the ats that couldn't get away with being serverless yet

obviously I don't think serverless is the best option but it's often free (with limits of course) - expecting a free service to provide you with unlimited hosting forever is very silly

cat throwing brick at camera transparent dot gif
https://bigspeed.me
dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bigspeedfpv wrote:

(#66)
https://www.shuttle.rs/ for rust

most of your apps don't need to be always running anyway, i don't think i've seen a single backend in the ats that couldn't get away with being serverless yet

obviously I don't think serverless is the best option but it's often free (with limits of course) - expecting a free service to provide you with unlimited hosting forever is very silly
this topic is for hosting options for python. but i guess rust users could use it

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

Anything above that grey line is a signature!
Also, anything can be put in your signature, (also referred as a siggy) including ads but! You cannot do anything else that violates the community guidelines as, you will be reported and you could be banned/muted.
Computer enthusiast, coder, designer and a offline veteran.
700th post
MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Glitch seems to be the best option. If you were to run your projects 24/7, you can run 1 project with the free time it gives you. However, if you don't need your projects online 24/7. The free monthly hours will suffice for many projects. As long as the software you are hosting can be hosted on port 3000, it'll simply work. However, if you are running a python program that relies on anything Python 3.7 doesn't have, you can't use it.

Here's a summary/tldr below
Total monthly hours: 1000
Hours a 24/7 project uses: 672 a month
Free?: Yes
Requires card?: No

Considering full git instances are being hosted on Glitch, it'll work great for most applications. At least for small hobby projects that won't receive hundreds to thousands of requests.

dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

(#68)
Glitch seems to be the best option. If you were to run your projects 24/7, you can run 1 project with the free time it gives you. However, if you don't need your projects online 24/7. The free monthly hours will suffice for many projects. As long as the software you are hosting can be hosted on port 3000, it'll simply work. However, if you are running a python program that relies on anything Python 3.7 doesn't have, you can't use it.

Considering full git instances are being hosted on Glitch, it'll work great for most applications. At least for small hobby projects that won't receive hundreds to thousands of requests.
what about heroku? its free with that eco dyno hour stuff i think

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

Also, anything can be put in your signature, (also referred as a siggy) including ads but! You cannot do anything else that violates the community guidelines as, you will be reported and you could be banned/muted.
700th post
-cloudcoding-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Vercel?

Last edited by kaj (Tomorrow 00:00:00)

-cloudcoding-

"[coding is] like clouds - always evolving and ready to transform!" - ChatGPT :)

Go check out my projects!
dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-cloudcoding- wrote:

(#70)
Vercel?
yeah vercel

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

700th post
-cloudcoding-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

-cloudcoding- wrote:

(#70)
Vercel?
yeah vercel
Idrk much about it but it might work.

-cloudcoding-

"[coding is] like clouds - always evolving and ready to transform!" - ChatGPT :)

TheCommCraft
Scratcher
500+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

(#68)

But it needs ping to stay online, what are you planning on using for that

Random Project

spamton.gif

TheCommCraft
Scratcher
500+ posts

Vercel seems to be perfect for now but I'll do some testing first.

Random Project

spamton.gif

-unrelated-
Scratcher
56 posts

TheCommCraft wrote:

After some research, I conclude that Vercel cannot be used for scratchattach hosting but it can be used for flask servers and perhaps as a pinging system for glitch

<!DOCTYPE html>
Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

Their website says Eco costs $5 per month: https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/eco-dyno-hours

Last edited by Maximouse (April 23, 2024 11:15:37)

This is Maximouse's signature. Learn more about signatures.
-unrelated-
Scratcher
56 posts

Maximouse wrote:

(#76)

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

Their website says Eco costs $5 per month: https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/eco-dyno-hours
That's what I thought!

<!DOCTYPE html>
-cloudcoding-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-unrelated- wrote:

TheCommCraft wrote:

After some research, I conclude that Vercel cannot be used for scratchattach hosting but it can be used for flask servers and perhaps as a pinging system for glitch
Ooh someine should make that.

-cloudcoding-

TheCommCraft
Scratcher
500+ posts

-cloudcoding- wrote:

(#78)

-unrelated- wrote:

TheCommCraft wrote:

Ooh someine should make that.
I think it could be possible to setup a vercel proxy thingy website where a requests leads to a requests to something else (like glitch). And then one could use uptimerobot to regularly ping that.

Random Project

spamton.gif

-unrelated-
Scratcher
56 posts

crystalhost.xyz is an option

<!DOCTYPE html>