Discuss Scratch

dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

[Suggest feature ideas!] Snazzle: A better frontend for Scratch, built by the community, for the community

Redstone1080 wrote:

(#440)

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

(C++, Python, HTML, CSS and GO programmers needed!)
We do not need to use any language other than what we're already using. It's not practical to rewrite everything that we already have at this moment.
we need c++ and go programmers for voyager and for website (which probably will be needed) html css and python (or js with python)

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

Anything above that grey line is a signature!
Also, anything can be put in your signature, (also referred as a siggy) including ads but! You cannot do anything else that violates the community guidelines as, you will be reported and you could be banned/muted.
Computer enthusiast, coder, designer and a offline veteran.
700th post
Sid72020123
Scratcher
500+ posts

[Suggest feature ideas!] Snazzle: A better frontend for Scratch, built by the community, for the community

Why do you need C++ programmers for Voyager? Python is good enough for web scraping…

Sid72020123
Mahdir2111
Scratcher
100+ posts

Sid72020123 wrote:

Why do you need C++ programmers for Voyager? Python is good enough for web scraping…
Right

Hello, I like to do coding.
My ocular profile
My Scratchsite

dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sid72020123 wrote:

(#442)
1. c++ for the database of voyager
2. go is the choice we picked.

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

Also, anything can be put in your signature, (also referred as a siggy) including ads but! You cannot do anything else that violates the community guidelines as, you will be reported and you could be banned/muted.
700th post
Sid72020123
Scratcher
500+ posts

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

(#444)

But I prefer Python for DBs as there are many client libraries like PyMySQL for MySQL, etc.

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

(#444)
go is the choice we picked.

Again, Python has more ecosystem and libraries for web scraping like BeautifulSoup, etc.

Using Python will allow faster development…

Even the SUI API uses Python for indexing and I never really found a performance issue.

Voyager requires a Forum scraper right? Maybe this can help. The script only indexes the usernames and ids but with a few changes, you can get the post content and store it in a DB using Python itself.

Sid72020123
dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sid72020123 wrote:

(#445)

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

(#444)

But I prefer Python for DBs as there are many client libraries like PyMySQL for MySQL, etc.

Well that's your preference. We (or mostly me) have decided that C++ would be used for Database development using services like ScyllaDB which is monstrously fast, NoSQL and Scalable.

Sid72020123 wrote:

(#445)

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

(#444)

Again, Python has more ecosystem and libraries for web scraping like BeautifulSoup, etc.

Even the SUI API uses Python for indexing and I never really found a performance issue.

Voyager requires a Forum scraper right? Maybe this can help. The script only indexes the usernames and ids but with a few changes, you can get the post content and store it in a DB using Python itself.
go has a rich in-built feature library and other stuff like advanced garbage collection and memory safety features with strong support for scalability, concurrency and parallelism.

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

700th post
Sid72020123
Scratcher
500+ posts

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

Sid72020123 wrote:

(#445)

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

(#444)

Well that's your preference. We (or mostly me) have decided that C++ would be used for Database development using services like ScyllaDB which is monstrously fast, NoSQL and Scalable.

Sid72020123 wrote:

(#445)

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

(#444)

go has a rich in-built feature library and other stuff like advanced garbage collection and memory safety features with strong support for scalability, concurrency and parallelism.

Ok. But where are you going to host the scraper?

Sid72020123
Redstone1080
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

SnarpleDev weekly project updates:
I was going to post paragraphs and paragraphs about stuff and then I realized I had not seen this post. Thanks for doing this while I've been inactive. Could you maybe transfer the Voyager repo to the SnarpleDev org?

Also, I'd like to metaphorically scratch out what I said in my last post Though I think we should stick to Go and not have to use two languages as that could get complicated quickly.

One final thing, I feel like we need some way to publish updates in a central location. I think I'll make some sort of site that will allow you to post updates and will have an API to integrate it into something like the Snazzle front page.

Last edited by Redstone1080 (April 23, 2024 23:26:32)

const juniper = programmer && musician;
// my pronouns are she/her
// i am trans and bi :P
// you can call me june or juni for short but i prefer juniper
python version:
juniper = programmer and musician
# my pronouns are she/her
# i am trans and bi :P
# you can call me june or juni for short but i prefer juniper
dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Redstone1080 wrote:

(#448)

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

SnarpleDev weekly project updates:
I was going to post paragraphs and paragraphs about stuff and then I realized I had not seen this post. Thanks for doing this while I've been inactive. Could you maybe transfer the Voyager repo to the SnarpleDev org?

Your welcome! Voyager repo transfer would have to be authorized by @notfenixio or @josueart, because he is the owner.

Redstone1080 wrote:

(#448)
Also, I'd like to metaphorically scratch out what I said in my last post Though I think we should stick to Go and not have to use two languages as that could get complicated quickly.

Go is good for web-scraping, but not as particularly good as C++ for databases. The reason we use C++ is because of ScyllaDB, which is scalable, monstrously fast, and the it's a NoSQL database. Also, ScyllaDB is proven to be good by various large-scale users like the funny xbox controller app (credit to Steve0Greatness for that idea) and Medium and many more.

Redstone1080 wrote:

(#448)
One final thing, I feel like we need some way to publish updates in a central location. I think I'll make some sort of site that will allow you to post updates and will have an API to integrate it into something like the Snazzle front page.
like a github pages having an api? i'll try and make that.

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

700th post
Redstone1080
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

Voyager repo transfer would have to be authorized by @notfenixio or @josueart, because he is the owner.
Ah, alright. I'll ask him later today.
Go is good for web-scraping, but not as particularly good as C++ for databases. The reason we use C++ is because of ScyllaDB, which is scalable, monstrously fast, and the it's a NoSQL database. Also, ScyllaDB is proven to be good by various large-scale users like the funny xbox controller app (credit to Steve0Greatness for that idea) and Medium and many more.
I see. The problem of hosting still applies. I just have a single Pi 4B to host something on lol.
Nah, I'll do that. You can take care of Voyager for now.

python version:
dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Redstone1080 wrote:

(#450)

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

Voyager repo transfer would have to be authorized by @notfenixio or @josueart, because he is the owner.
Ah, alright. I'll ask him later today.
I see. The problem of hosting still applies. I just have a single Pi 4B to host something on lol.
Nah, I'll do that. You can take care of Voyager for now.
1. okay, he'll probably say yes so yeah
2. you can host the db on your pi (because the main problem is storage). We can use AWS Lambda which is lifetime free for computing for Snazzle and Voyager or any application we make. Plus, I'll try to get my savings together because somebody consumed my saved 600$ (like 50,000 inr which I was saving for a PS5, then was gonna end-up using for snazzle, and now can't do anything cuz me broke.)
3. okay sure. I opened a different repo for the site in the snarple org

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

700th post
dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sid72020123 wrote:

(#447)

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

Sid72020123 wrote:

(#445)

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

(#444)

Sid72020123 wrote:

(#445)

dynamicsofscratch wrote:

(#444)

Ok. But where are you going to host the scraper?
aws lambda

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

700th post
dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bomp

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

700th post
dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

700th post
dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Suggestion: Add Github roles such as Moderators, Security Managers, Outside Collaborators and a Co-owner for fun.

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

700th post
josueart
Scratcher
100+ posts

very happy emoji
rocket emoji
:voyager logo: :right arrow emoji: :snarpledev logo:

Moved the repo!

Check this Scratch status monitor I made with BetterStack: https://scratch.betteruptime.com
Mahdir2111
Scratcher
100+ posts

josueart wrote:

very happy emoji
rocket emoji
:voyager logo: :right arrow emoji: :snarpledev logo:

Moved the repo!
Ok

My ocular profile
My Scratchsite

josueart
Scratcher
100+ posts

I'm really starting to question if Go is capable of this. BeautifulSoup, is, well, beautiful. It's faster and safer and everything but everyone on the org knows Python so everyone can work on Voyager and Snazzle at the same time…

Check this Scratch status monitor I made with BetterStack: https://scratch.betteruptime.com
Mahdir2111
Scratcher
100+ posts

josueart wrote:

I'm really starting to question if Go is capable of this. BeautifulSoup, is, well, beautiful. It's faster and safer and everything but everyone on the org knows Python so everyone can work on Voyager and Snazzle at the same time…
I know a little bit of python (Like how to use variables)

My ocular profile
My Scratchsite

Redstone1080
Scratcher
1000+ posts

josueart wrote:

everyone on the org knows Python so everyone can work on Voyager and Snazzle at the same time…
Yeah, this is why I was initially disapproving of using Go for Voyager. I thought it was just me and I didn't want to be a control freak so I decided we could do it in Go.

python version: