Discuss Scratch

AudPod
Scratcher
64 posts

Studio Updates FAQ

I think overall this studio update doesn’t really help. It’s not making anything impossible for me, but it does make it harder for me to use Scratch. I don’t particularly like the changes that have been made.

willow - will – she/they
jacksfilms - tma - dhmis - madds buckley - bones
-max_ride-
Scratcher
9 posts

Studio Updates FAQ

the 25 limit sucks!!! You guys didn't ask for any community feeback, and now a lot of people are mad!! Change it back!!!!!!
KittenC0des
Scratcher
100+ posts

Studio Updates FAQ

Ok so most people don't like this update, including me. It's quite sudden and offputting to several people. Also, why a reply limit? That wasn't there before and doesn't have a reason to be there, it's going to ruin quite a lot of studios, specifically roleplay studios, which is a pretty big community, with this new reply limit. Can you pretty please remove this update or rework it a bit? If you can't do that can you at least remove the reply limit? Thank you very much ^^
Ratloverjunior
Scratcher
49 posts

Studio Updates FAQ

WORST. UPDATE. EVER.
>

when I receive [ Rat Kisses]
set [ Happiness] to [Maximum] 
❤️
I_am_Alone
Scratcher
51 posts

Studio Updates FAQ

I don't agree with the update, but I'm not going to attack anyone about it. Also, please no one do that either.

I also don't agree that the ST didn't take any community feedback, and kept the thing behind closed doors. They also didn't update until AFTER the dang thing was put in place, all-around bad show and a community relations disaster.

{,,,}oUo{,,,} Kilroy was here
-SoudaCan-
Scratcher
78 posts

Studio Updates FAQ

WHY CAN'T NEW SCRATCHERS MAKE A STUDIO LIKE OML IM LOOSING MY MIND :smiling_face_with_tear:

PLEASE GO FOLLOW @–OTAKU IM LEAVING!
DottyEmu
Scratcher
5 posts

Studio Updates FAQ

Hello.
I'm wondering if the new studio update can be edited slightly to allow other managers to update/edit.
It would be very helpful to active studios that have inactive founders. A studio I am a part of is very active and changes the title and description often. The founder of the studio is not active. This is kind of a problem.
I understand you guys want to limit certain activities, but if a studio owner wants to have total creative control they can A) edit it again to the original text or B) remove other managers. Simple!
Overall, the new update had good ideas but was executed somewhat poorly and I think it should be changed.
Please take these points into consideration.
-Dotty
Ratloverjunior
Scratcher
49 posts

Studio Updates FAQ

-max_ride- wrote:

the 25 limit sucks!!! You guys didn't ask for any community feeback, and now a lot of people are mad!! Change it back!!!!!!
And they ignored it when peopke said it would suck when they announced it-_-

-SoudaCan- wrote:

WHY CAN'T NEW SCRATCHERS MAKE A STUDIO LIKE OML IM LOOSING MY MIND :smiling_face_with_tear:

when I receive [ Rat Kisses]
set [ Happiness] to [Maximum] 
❤️
PaigeTurnerE
Scratcher
500+ posts

Studio Updates FAQ

-sugardrizzle- wrote:

Hmm, I think maybe it would be wise to allow certain managers to edit studios. I'm a part of a studio in which the owner has left. Also, how are roleplays going to be handled with this?
Yeah my friends an I have a collaborative story we write in the description of a studio, and what about the ‘camps’ scratchers have made like SWC?

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ❝ I'm a legal adult in 1805! ❞
⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀
dhuls
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Studio Updates FAQ

ScratchCat wrote:

I am a “New Scratcher” - how do I create a studio?
To create a studio you will need to have “Scratcher” status. See here to learn more about what this means.
Why did you add this limit?

ScratchCat wrote:

I am a manager - why can’t I edit studio descriptions?
Only studio owners have the ability to edit studio descriptions. Over the years, we have heard from many of you that allowing managers to make major changes to studios has made it harder to manage and run a successful studio. This change is intended to give studio owners more creative control over their spaces.
Promoting people to and demoting people from manager is IMO a bigger change than an edit to the studio description. Plus, You still didn't stop studio raids. Those will still happen.

ScratchCat wrote:

What happens if an owner is no longer active in a studio?
If you are a curator or manager, you can still add projects to a studio, and everyone can continue conversations in the comments. If you would like to make changes to a studio description, title, or thumbnail, only the studio owner can do this. But, you are always welcome to create a new studio!
IMO This is the poorest reasoning given in this post. “Create a new studio,” is not a good solution, because what if that studio owner gets banned/leaves Scratch. You'll have to keep moving studios and discussion about things will be hard.

ScratchCat wrote:

I want other managers to edit the description, what do I do?
Over the years, we have heard from many of you that allowing managers to make major changes to studios has made it harder to manage and run a successful studio. As a way to address this, studio owners will now be the only people allowed to edit studio descriptions, titles, and thumbnails, which will prevent others from changing or destroying the work you have done in your studios, such as managers defacing the studio description or using it as a space for chatting.
You missed a space
Again, another poor reasoning. This still doesn't solve the question. There should at least be an option for enabling this, but NO.

ScratchCat wrote:

Why is there a limit on the number of managers to a studio?
This change is intended to address a few issues: it will reduce the number of spammy studios, encourage studio owners and managers to be more intentional when promoting curators, and further limit the amount of people who can make major changes to studios.
Actually, this might increase the amount of “Invite Everyone” studios because people will make more to group them as one.
Also, this is extremely contradictory to limiting manager permissions because they can't make major changes (by your definition). Either choose 1 or the other.

ScratchCat wrote:

Why is there a limit on the number of replies in a comment thread?
Limiting comment threads helps enhance site performance, and prevents long but still active threads from being buried where few people will see new activity. As Scratch continues to grow, it is important to us to continue exploring ways in which we can help keep Scratch running smoothly, safely, and quickly for everyone who uses it. It is our hope that these changes will help do just that! Once a comment thread has reached its limit, you are welcome to start a new thread to continue the conversation.
There are other ways to reduce the lag without limiting replies like improving the API, but you (anonymously) closed that topic because of “speculation,” but what about the other threads with speculation?
IMO, this would've been a good update but the limits just ruin the experience for me. Whatever you do, DO NOT ADD REPLY LIMITS TO PROJECTS, PROFILES, AND FORUM THREADS
RIP Scratchr2 “good” studios
May 9, 2013 - July 6, 2021
You will be missed by everyone.
ARCEUS_MASTER
Scratcher
100+ posts

Studio Updates FAQ

Ratloverjunior wrote:

-max_ride- wrote:

And they ignored it when peopke said it would suck when they announced it-_-

-SoudaCan- wrote:

YES, SOMEONE WHO AGREES

POWERFUL MEMBER OF THE PANZER BATTALION
SABATON ALL THE WAY
-CloudedCake-
Scratcher
2 posts

Studio Updates FAQ

This update and format is fine and all but like
What about roleplay studios? Theres tons of them out there
What if there’s an active studio but the studio creator leaves Scratch and nobody can edit the description, even if it needs to be.
For example, take a roleplay studios. Those studios will be MORE spammed BECAUSE of an update like this, now people will have to restart their roleplay conversations. Sometimes roleplay studios or any other studios, have descriptions that are edited daily. But what if the description needs updated but the person creating the studio, isn’t on Scratch anymore? Sure, you can remake the studios, but then once again, ONE person will be in charge and all of that stress if DUMPED ON THAT ONE PERSON. That’s so stressful!

If you want to make a better community, I AT LEAST suggest allowing the Studio Creator to promote Managers to allow them to edit description. They could become ‘Co-Studio Creator’ or something like that!

You have utterly disappointed us, Scratch
PokemonDude21
Scratcher
100+ posts

Studio Updates FAQ

Well, looks like bad news for very active studios with an inactive owner.

Sparkle_Puppy99
Scratcher
6 posts

Studio Updates FAQ

I don't like the new update for studios, sorry. In role-plays now, you have a limit to each comment thread, and I don't really like that. The appearance of the studios are also looking more strange than usual. Plzzz bring back the normal way! Thanks!
ARCEUS_MASTER
Scratcher
100+ posts

Studio Updates FAQ

PUNNAMOODU wrote:

-Accio- wrote:

I also share the concerns of @jeffalo above. It seems like these changes were released abruptly without much community feedback. While I understand the reasoning listed above for the changes made, it would have been nice for there to be an announcement beforehand so that studios impacted by these restrictions could prepare. (ie. the Pull Request making it so that managers couldn't update studio descriptions was created just two hours before studios went live, meaning that studios had no time to prepare for this change).

I agree. No one had time to prepare for the change. The reply limit and the manager limit is fine but I don't understand why the capability to edit Studio Info is restricted to owners. There should be an option to change studio owners.
EXACTLY! THEY SHOULD ALLOW OWNERS TO ALLOW MANAGERS TO EDIT THINGS

POWERFUL MEMBER OF THE PANZER BATTALION
SABATON ALL THE WAY
Milkysplash
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Studio Updates FAQ

KittenC0des wrote:

Ok so most people don't like this update, including me. It's quite sudden and offputting to several people. Also, why a reply limit? That wasn't there before and doesn't have a reason to be there, it's going to ruin quite a lot of studios, specifically roleplay studios, which is a pretty big community, with this new reply limit. Can you pretty please remove this update or rework it a bit? If you can't do that can you at least remove the reply limit? Thank you very much ^^
Yes, I agree with your points and from reading all the gitHub conversations; the problem is the 3.0 API because it is so slow. If we had the old 2.0 studio system; nothing needed to be changed (I belive)

Personally, I also don't like this update (In fact, I hate it), and Scratch Team, you realise you've BROKEN AND ENTIRE COMMUNITY, which just.. no. You're also just making more scratchers trust you less, and many already opposed the descion.

“are you sure you're not jewish?” - howard, tbbt

If you made it down here, if something's hard, rember, it's not rocket science.
- - -
out of contextness

i actually feel sorry for a traffic bollard, bbc news you are too good at your job

“Ground?”
“Plane?”

- - -
*jams to the Every Tube Station Song*
taco-smell
Scratcher
8 posts

Studio Updates FAQ

Ok, how about we compromise and allow the studio creator to decide whether or not they will allow individual managers to change the title and thumbnail? Wouldn't this make more sense?
II-lxmontea-II
Scratcher
3 posts

Studio Updates FAQ

I hate this update. It’s so big and the manager limit is restricting for a big studio. Please remove this update! It’s very very bad.
loveydove668
Scratcher
100+ posts

Studio Updates FAQ

It's okay, I guess. But we should really be able to change the settings for our own studio, creator only. With a settings button we could keep our studios secure but still get the same freedom we usually have on Scratch

~ “Smile your heart out!” ~
mizumiq
Scratcher
6 posts

Studio Updates FAQ

Octo_Terra wrote:

Ok, this came out of nowhere. I really don't like this update, and I'm sure tons of people agree. The 25 message limit is really stupid. I also cannot figure out how to add curators from my follower list, like it was before. The worst part about this was the lack of heads up and communication with the community about this update.

I agree. I only found out about the update just yesterday. Roleplaying studios are going to be a disaster after this update and the RP I’m currently in is going to make it extremely difficult for the studio creator to manage everything, especially since the other managers were there to help out and they were trusted not to mess it up.

hi