remove the <() < ()> block

i agree, epic_yeet_boi. the
<[] < []>
is kinda useless…
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch is supposed to be as easy and intuitive to learn. If you remove that block, a lot of people will get confused.

Last edited by WindOctahedron (April 13, 2020 18:36:17)

The message above may contain wrong information, rude remarks, or something embarrassing to my current self. In this case, please ignore it and remember that I likely wrote it back when I didn't know what “respect” truly meant. I really hate thinking about it again.
JackK211424
Scratcher
500+ posts

WindOctahedron wrote:

Scratch is supposed to be as easy and intuitive to learn. If you remove that block, a lot of people will get confused.
and a lot of peoples projects will be broken

nyankatpro
Scratcher
500+ posts

No support. Since scratch is meant to be an introductory coding language, I see no reason why this block should be removed.

This is my signature. It appears at the bottom of my posts.
The Best of Nyankatpro:

R4356th
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WindOctahedron wrote:

No support for the same reason.
imfh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It is common programming practice to put variables on the left side and static values (like 3) on the right slot. If you remove one of the blocks, people will be taught to do the bad practice of putting variables on the right. It is easier to read and understand score greater than 20 than it is 20 less than score.

Scratch to Pygame converter: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/600562/
Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support, every programming language has both less than and greater than operators, why shouldn't Scratch have both? Also, this is what Za-Chary said in a similar topic:

Za-Chary wrote:

There's a lot of blocks that could be replaced. For instance, you don't need variables since you can use lists instead. You also don't need a multiplication reporter block, as it could be worked around with the addition and logarithm blocks. Even the “and” and “or” booleans have workarounds, if you use the “greater than” boolean.

The reason some of these “duplicates” exist is because Scratch, as an introductory programming language, should be easy to use for beginners. If people wanted to multiply two numbers together, they might not know the workaround for an easy multiplication block. Even if they asked someone, grade-school students might not understand the workaround (“What's a logarithm?”).

In fact, I would go so far as to say that reducing the number of blocks we currently have is rejected — but I'm not sure, so I'll leave the topic open.

This is Maximouse's signature. Learn more about signatures.
Monna-Uka
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I don't support this. That block/command line appears everywhere , and newcomers can have some confusion.

Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

epic_yeet_boi wrote:

i believe that the
<[] < []>
block should be removed because it is useless. it's useless because the
<[] > []>
can do it's job along with it's own.
Most students are taught inequalities using both symbols. So it makes sense to provide both symbols so that they can apply what they learn more easily. In fact, I would argue that we should probably add both the “greater than or equal” and “less than or equal” signs too.

Bear in mind that we are not looking for a minimal set of blocks for Scratch - but rather an optimal number of blocks that balance ease of use with ease of learning.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;