Discuss Scratch

6d66yh
Scratcher
100+ posts

64-bit integers

PkmnQ wrote:

6d66yh wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

Scratch is not meant for C coders. Scratch is meant for those who want to learn to code. If you want Scratch to be more like C, go to Snap.
Snap is not more like C, as it lacks integer arithmetic, therefore it is off-topic to this suggestion.
Then code it yourself. Advanced stuff like this should be programmed in. Plus, Snap may be easier to implement this in. But they probably will not be natively implemented. Scratch runs on JS, not C. And I think JS doesn't have 64 bit integers.
That goes against the entire point. The point is that the integers are native, and I use them to build more complex abstractions. Not the other way around as that would significantly slow down the program rather than speed it up.

Integer arithmetic suggestion: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/5163608/
PkmnQ
Scratcher
1000+ posts

64-bit integers

6d66yh wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

6d66yh wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

Scratch is not meant for C coders. Scratch is meant for those who want to learn to code. If you want Scratch to be more like C, go to Snap.
Snap is not more like C, as it lacks integer arithmetic, therefore it is off-topic to this suggestion.
Then code it yourself. Advanced stuff like this should be programmed in. Plus, Snap may be easier to implement this in. But they probably will not be natively implemented. Scratch runs on JS, not C. And I think JS doesn't have 64 bit integers.
That goes against the entire point. The point is that the integers are native, and I use them to build more complex abstractions. Not the other way around as that would significantly slow down the program rather than speed it up.
It'll run slow anyway. This is Scratch. And as I said, JS doesn't have 64 bit integers natively.

Last edited by PkmnQ (May 21, 2021 09:50:01)

This is an account that exists.

Here, have a useful link:
The Official List of Rejected Suggestions by Za-Chary

6d66yh
Scratcher
100+ posts

64-bit integers

PkmnQ wrote:

6d66yh wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

6d66yh wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

It'll run slow anyway. This is Scratch. And as I said, JS doesn't have 64 bit integers natively.
But the developers could use an asm keyword to use native instructions. And check out the definitive list in my signature, it is not just 64-bit integers.

Integer arithmetic suggestion: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/5163608/
celleron56
Scratcher
89 posts

64-bit integers

but maibe someone is using a 32 bit os to access scratch (raspberry pi OS 32 bit) not to mention that people could use a 16 bit os if they had enough technical knowledge they could maibe add the blocks in a extension named advanced math with more advanced mathematics blocks in it to solve the proplem with the dubble floats i recommend you to just use more than one per integer like maibe 2 dubble floats per 1 64 bit variable i do not know so much about binnary things so plz correct me if i am wrong

PkmnQ
Scratcher
1000+ posts

64-bit integers

6d66yh wrote:

But the developers could use an asm keyword to use native instructions. And check out the definitive list in my signature, it is not just 64-bit integers.
Ok, fine, you have a lot of reasons to implement it, but all of them combined are outweighed by one reason not to implement it:
Scratch is meant as a beginner programming language.

This is an account that exists.

Here, have a useful link:
The Official List of Rejected Suggestions by Za-Chary

rdococ
Scratcher
500+ posts

64-bit integers

6d66yh wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

6d66yh wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

Even if Scratch somehow supported these “native integers”, there would be very little performance improvement. Scratch is slow because it's an interpreted programming language, not because it uses floats instead of integers, and this suggestion does nothing in the way of solving that.

This suggestion is completely infeasible, would have negligible benefits, and would serve primarily to confuse new Scratchers about different types of numbers. Scratch is not meant to be a C, it is meant to be an introductory programming language, and these “64-bit integers” are completely unnecessary.

Last edited by rdococ (May 21, 2021 16:48:04)

GerekRulesGwof
Scratcher
500+ posts

64-bit integers

i am very confused…

This is my signature.

My signature was eaten by the Scratch Team, they removed it lol
johnthe117
Scratcher
1 post

64-bit integers

WHAT??