Discuss Scratch

Leafsparkle
Scratcher
100+ posts

Masterpost/compilation: being signed out randomly, comments not loading/disappearing

Masterpost: Randomly being signed out, comments loading forever, and missing comments bugs

I've seen more than ten of these topics floating around. This topic aims to organize and list them so we don't have so many duplicates.

Here's the issue–
  • User clicks on Messages to view new notifications.
  • User clicks notification that says someone has replied on a profile or in a studio (1).
  • The profile page or studio linked to (with the url pointing to a specific comment, e.g., https://scratch.mit.edu/users/Leafsparkle/#comments-314159265) displays “Comments loading…” for as long as the tab is open (2).
  • Upon refreshing the page, the user is now signed out in that tab and everywhere else (3). They will have to log back in.
  • Even after multiple logouts and logins, clicking the link in Messages will log the user out, and the user profile or the studio will not show the comment.

(If I didn't describe it well, scroll down to “Other descriptions” for different explanations.)

Footnotes–
1. I'm only aware of this happening with profiles and studios. Projects seem to be unaffected. Comment below if you've got more information.
2. I've kept the same tab open, without refreshing it, for probably a day. It stayed at “Comments loading…” for the whole time.
3. I haven't tested how this works with multiple devices.

List of topics (non-exhaustive, organized by date of OP, let me know if I've missed a major one)–

Other descriptions–

1HappyFroYo1 wrote:

Sometimes when I go to a comment opened from my messages (epecially one that leads to a studio) the comments will load for a long time before I reload and get looged out. (…)

JKBisms wrote:

Sometimes, I will be on someone's profile, and the comments won't load. So I reload the page, and I am suddenly signed out.

Sniper_Legend wrote:

I have this bug issue as well, and frequently.
When you receive a notification that there is a comment, but it hasn't shown up on the actual page yet, the comments will get stuck “Loading”, and refreshing logs you out. Why the comment doesn't appear in the first place, I don't know, but that appears to be the underlying problem. (…)

Fireguy27 wrote:

I don't know why, but I went to check one of my messages to see one of my profile comments, and the profile comments wouldn't load. So I went to refresh the page, and as soon as I did, not only did the comments still have that issue, but I noticed I wasn't logged in. (…)

-MarvelComics- wrote:

(…) Sometimes when I get messages and I click the link that leads me to them, It does bring me to the page where the comments are but the comments won't load. When I try and refresh the page or click anything else, I get automatically signed out of my account (…)

CantDoStuff wrote:

(…) I found that when I clicked my message link to go reply that the comments wouldn't load. If I went into the studio without going through the messages, it would load the comments, but it would not load the person's reply. And often times when switching from different screens and refreshing my browser, it would log me out. (…)

Possible fixes–

A bunch of users wrote:

Wait a bit and the comments will appear. (I think the comment(s) appearing after a bit is probably because these users left comments on the profile(s)/studio(s) in question, thus clearing up the bug as seen in the Scratch Wiki entry and my description in this section – rather than because the page cleared itself up with no user intervention, intentional or otherwise. I've also put my thoughts on this in a separate post. –Leafsparkle)

Ian-Stewart wrote:

If you look in the “Possible Solutions” section on this wiki article, there are two solutions to this problem. Hope I helped! :D

Scratch Wiki wrote:

Sometimes, if a user comments on one's profile later, the comment that previously would not show may appear. Then, the user can view, reply, delete, or report the comment. This works with most users, but is only temporary. This will need to be done again when another comment will not show.

Clearing the browser's cache may help fix this problem. If one uses Google Chrome, they can go to “Clear Browser Data” in Settings, click “Advanced,” then select the following:
Browsing History
Download History
Cookies and other site data
Cached images and files
To clear the entire cache, one can select “All time.” Then, they can click “Clear Data.”
Note Warning: Clearing one's cache may sign the user out of some websites, requiring the person to login again. Also, it may take longer to open some websites because images and other graphics will need to be reloaded.

Leafsparkle wrote:

Go to the main profile or studio page (rather than the direct link to the comment). Leave another comment on the page. Then, look for the original comment. It should now appear, and clicking the direct link to it should not sign you out.

What now–
I hope this post helped you, and let's hope we can solve the issue! In the meantime, try the above fixes.

Comment below if you have additional fixes, other threads to add, hypotheses, or anything else!

You have no idea how much time I spent compiling this.

My browser / operating system: Linux, Chrome 74.0.3729.131, No Flash version detected

Edited for typo, content misrepresentation.
Edited again to add some more topics about the issue. There are so many of them…
Edited yet again. The reports keep coming in. Also, fixed the opaque Scratch Wiki wording.
Edited again right after edit no. 3 to note an observation about the “wait and the comments will load” possible fix.
Edited again right after edit no. 4 to link to further thoughts about this observation, which you can find through the link in this post and in the comments below.
Edited again to add another topic and note the possible unrelatedness of a previously added topic.
Edited again because I made a small and execrable formatting error.
Edited to add two new topics about the issue (sigh) and because I realized I've been doing lists wrong this whole time.
Edited to add another topic.
Edited to add another topic.

Last edited by Leafsparkle (Sept. 28, 2019 19:49:50)

Generation 378: The first time you see this, copy and paste it on top of your sig in the Scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment. Artificially boosting the generation is forbidden, but it's probably happened anyway.

If you feel so inclined, comment on my profile about effective altruism, toki pona, Slate Star Codex / Astral Codex Ten, Esperanto, conlanging and other conlangs, or any kind of politics/policy.

sina ken sona e ni la, o toki tawa mi | Se vi povas legi ĉi tiun tekston, bonvolu paroli kun mi!
tenison6C
Scratcher
41 posts

Masterpost/compilation: being signed out randomly, comments not loading/disappearing

this was happening to me like 3 weeks ago it was worse like the page wouldn't open and i couldn't comment or post anything i couldn't even use the online editor

when I receive [signature v]
broadcast [Mind v]

when I receive [Mind v]
say [...]
create clone of [Mind v]
Multi_fandom
Scratcher
3 posts

its working some days but other days its just…ugh…
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It was great literally having to copy paste responses about two weeks ago when those issues, especially logging out, were far worse and affecting a much wider range of people. Most of the time it happened to people, it was linked to the ST moving their servers to a new location, which resulted in some disruption in the website.

bottom text
Scratch---Cat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Try “Sticky” ing it.

Download Scratch 2.0 | Check your messages | Check my messages
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you want to subscribe to this forum topic, please click the
{} Follow Discussion :: ring sensing
button below this forum post! Thanks!

Leafsparkle
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch---Cat wrote:

Try “Sticky” ing it.
You think so?

Generation 378: The first time you see this, copy and paste it on top of your sig in the Scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment. Artificially boosting the generation is forbidden, but it's probably happened anyway.

If you feel so inclined, comment on my profile about effective altruism, toki pona, Slate Star Codex / Astral Codex Ten, Esperanto, conlanging and other conlangs, or any kind of politics/policy.

sina ken sona e ni la, o toki tawa mi | Se vi povas legi ĉi tiun tekston, bonvolu paroli kun mi!
Leafsparkle
Scratcher
100+ posts

More information on one of the possible fixes I noted–

A bunch of users wrote:

Wait a bit and the comments will appear.
(I've also put my thoughts on this up in the main post, though I'm not sure they're very clear.)

I don't think it was the time (“waiting”) that made the bug clear up for some users seemingly with no intervention on their part in the course of a few hours or days. I think they probably commented on that affected page again (and didn't mention it in the forum posts, not realizing it was relevant that they'd commented). At this point the commentingAgain fix would have showed up to play its role. Thus, the act of leaving another comment would have loaded the ones which had previously not shown up.

So I don't think you can just let the page sit there. You probably still have to leave a comment.

This is sort of a bump; I've been letting this topic sit on page 3 (or something) of the Bugs and Glitches forum because I'm on principle opposed to bumping posts that literally just contain the word “bump”, which is not to make a moral judgment against anyone who does that. But I've been editing the main post to add way more topics as they pop up.

Edited for light rewording of a garden-path sentence.

Last edited by Leafsparkle (Sept. 15, 2019 10:53:07)

ArrowlineDragon
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This happens to me all the time!

Last edited by Fëanor (Sep. 22, SR 1368 3:79:01)

“Adventures are nasty disturbing uncomfortable things that make you late for dinner!”- Bilbo Baggins

“To die will be an awfully big adventure.”
- Peter Pan

Want to help us make an animated adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's amazing book, The Lord of the Rings? Click here(Studio) or here(Thread)!
Harakou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Nice megathread - thanks
Leafsparkle
Scratcher
100+ posts

Harakou wrote:

Nice megathread - thanks
You're welcome!
I got stickied!!! :0

Ian-Stewart
Scratcher
500+ posts

There's an article about the Disappearing Comment Bug that you can find here.

My signature was completely outdated and a new one is under construction.
mine_craft2008
Scratcher
4 posts

The comments won't appear until a few days.
Leafsparkle
Scratcher
100+ posts

mine_craft2008 wrote:

The comments won't appear until a few days.
No, I don't think that's what it is. See my post earlier in this thread.

Scratch---Cat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

If comments are not loading, try removing the “#comments-xxxxxxxx” (they're numbers) from the end of
your address bar. Maybe you can discover that the comment doesn't exist at all (somebody deleted it).

Download Scratch 2.0 | Check your messages | Check my messages
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you want to subscribe to this forum topic, please click the
{} Follow Discussion :: ring sensing
button below this forum post! Thanks!

ConfusedBiscuit
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch---Cat wrote:

If comments are not loading, try removing the “#comments-xxxxxxxx” (they're numbers) from the end of
your address bar. Maybe you can discover that the comment doesn't exist at all (somebody deleted it).
No, the comment is there, it's just not loading.

i like pokemon a normal amount
Leafsparkle
Scratcher
100+ posts

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

Scratch---Cat wrote:

No, the comment is there, it's just not loading.
@ConfusedBiscuit is correct. The comment has not been deleted. If you follow one of the methods listed on this page – the one which calls for leaving another comment on the affected main page, the one without the “#comments-xxxxxxxx” at the end – the comment will show up, because it has not been deleted. Generally, after leaving another comment as per the method, the “#comments-xxxxxxxx” link will start to work.

god286
Scratcher
1000+ posts

EASY SOLUTION (for users who are willing to switch browsers).

Use Brave, it's fast, light, and easy, and blocks many bad things. It also has fixed this issue.

Here are some of my followers!

I joined: 5 years, 9 months, 24 days ago (31/03/2018)
I have: 479 followers
In total, I have attained: 1,403 loves, 1,145 favourites, and 33,731 views.
Fun Fact: If my account continued to gain followers at a similar rate to right now, in 14,210 years I would reach the number of followers griffpatch has today! Try to imagine how many followers he would have then!
Thank you everyone!
Script created by god286.
feathereddreamss
Scratcher
37 posts

god286 wrote:

EASY SOLUTION (for users who are willing to switch browsers).

Use Brave, it's fast, light, and easy, and blocks many bad things. It also has fixed this issue.
good idea

HelloScratchMit
Scratcher
84 posts

Leafsparkle wrote:

Masterpost: Randomly being signed out, comments loading forever, and missing comments bugs

I've seen more than ten of these topics floating around. This topic aims to organize and list them so we don't have so many duplicates.

Here's the issue–
  • User clicks on Messages to view new notifications.
  • User clicks notification that says someone has replied on a profile or in a studio (1).
  • The profile page or studio linked to (with the url pointing to a specific comment, e.g., https://scratch.mit.edu/users/Leafsparkle/#comments-314159265) displays “Comments loading…” for as long as the tab is open (2).
  • Upon refreshing the page, the user is now signed out in that tab and everywhere else (3). They will have to log back in.
  • Even after multiple logouts and logins, clicking the link in Messages will log the user out, and the user profile or the studio will not show the comment.

(If I didn't describe it well, scroll down to “Other descriptions” for different explanations.)

Footnotes–
1. I'm only aware of this happening with profiles and studios. Projects seem to be unaffected. Comment below if you've got more information.
2. I've kept the same tab open, without refreshing it, for probably a day. It stayed at “Comments loading…” for the whole time.
3. I haven't tested how this works with multiple devices.

List of topics (non-exhaustive, organized by date of OP, let me know if I've missed a major one)–

Other descriptions–

1HappyFroYo1 wrote:

Sometimes when I go to a comment opened from my messages (epecially one that leads to a studio) the comments will load for a long time before I reload and get looged out. (…)

JKBisms wrote:

Sometimes, I will be on someone's profile, and the comments won't load. So I reload the page, and I am suddenly signed out.

Sniper_Legend wrote:

I have this bug issue as well, and frequently.
When you receive a notification that there is a comment, but it hasn't shown up on the actual page yet, the comments will get stuck “Loading”, and refreshing logs you out. Why the comment doesn't appear in the first place, I don't know, but that appears to be the underlying problem. (…)

Fireguy27 wrote:

I don't know why, but I went to check one of my messages to see one of my profile comments, and the profile comments wouldn't load. So I went to refresh the page, and as soon as I did, not only did the comments still have that issue, but I noticed I wasn't logged in. (…)

-MarvelComics- wrote:

(…) Sometimes when I get messages and I click the link that leads me to them, It does bring me to the page where the comments are but the comments won't load. When I try and refresh the page or click anything else, I get automatically signed out of my account (…)

CantDoStuff wrote:

(…) I found that when I clicked my message link to go reply that the comments wouldn't load. If I went into the studio without going through the messages, it would load the comments, but it would not load the person's reply. And often times when switching from different screens and refreshing my browser, it would log me out. (…)

Possible fixes–

A bunch of users wrote:

Wait a bit and the comments will appear. (I think the comment(s) appearing after a bit is probably because these users left comments on the profile(s)/studio(s) in question, thus clearing up the bug as seen in the Scratch Wiki entry and my description in this section – rather than because the page cleared itself up with no user intervention, intentional or otherwise. I've also put my thoughts on this in a separate post. –Leafsparkle)

Ian-Stewart wrote:

If you look in the “Possible Solutions” section on this wiki article, there are two solutions to this problem. Hope I helped! :D

Scratch Wiki wrote:

Sometimes, if a user comments on one's profile later, the comment that previously would not show may appear. Then, the user can view, reply, delete, or report the comment. This works with most users, but is only temporary. This will need to be done again when another comment will not show.

Clearing the browser's cache may help fix this problem. If one uses Google Chrome, they can go to “Clear Browser Data” in Settings, click “Advanced,” then select the following:
Browsing History
Download History
Cookies and other site data
Cached images and files
To clear the entire cache, one can select “All time.” Then, they can click “Clear Data.”
Note Warning: Clearing one's cache may sign the user out of some websites, requiring the person to login again. Also, it may take longer to open some websites because images and other graphics will need to be reloaded.

Leafsparkle wrote:

Go to the main profile or studio page (rather than the direct link to the comment). Leave another comment on the page. Then, look for the original comment. It should now appear, and clicking the direct link to it should not sign you out.

What now–
I hope this post helped you, and let's hope we can solve the issue! In the meantime, try the above fixes.

Comment below if you have additional fixes, other threads to add, hypotheses, or anything else!

You have no idea how much time I spent compiling this.

My browser / operating system: Linux, Chrome 74.0.3729.131, No Flash version detected

Edited for typo, content misrepresentation.
Edited again to add some more topics about the issue. There are so many of them…
Edited yet again. The reports keep coming in. Also, fixed the opaque Scratch Wiki wording.
Edited again right after edit no. 3 to note an observation about the “wait and the comments will load” possible fix.
Edited again right after edit no. 4 to link to further thoughts about this observation, which you can find through the link in this post and in the comments below.
Edited again to add another topic and note the possible unrelatedness of a previously added topic.
Edited again because I made a small and execrable formatting error.
Edited to add two new topics about the issue (sigh) and because I realized I've been doing lists wrong this whole time.
This happends to me like everytime

This block stole your PS4. If you don't follow it's command, it will never return your PS4.

Turn the usual blue button gray
Sniper_Legend
Scratcher
70 posts

I think I got an error related to this, but the comment showed, and I made a reply and tried to send it. It gave me this:
[{“username”: “”, “num_tries”: 0, “success”: 0, “msg”: “”, “messages”: , “id”: null}]

It might be because the glitch occurred in a tab i opened right before this one.

~Ƨηιρεя ℓεgεη∂