——————————————————————-
Leslie (Essi)-They/Them/Turtle- ;-;

Leslie/Essi- They/Them - Thespian - Floof- ;-; ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
SquirreIstar
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

modedii wrote:

If you can use R-ddit, I suggest checking out trans subreddits to see trans people talk about themselves (I especially suggest meme subs).
As someone who frequents Reddit, yes, I agree that this is a good idea. r/traa is the best place to start in my opinion.

Moved to @Alphysse
coding72
Scratcher
39 posts

LGBTQ+ Media

Have you read Goldie Vance?
Dolphins989
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

coding72 wrote:

What's it about?

<—- play my game please
Bluemist13
Scratcher
4 posts

LGBTQ+ Media

OverTheGardenWall2 wrote:

Bluemist13 wrote:

Hey I'm righting a story and of the characters is a trans girl. I want to make sure it's both accurate and respectful, can I have some help? Thanks.
-Eva
Hi! I think (as a genderfluid person, keep in mind I’m not a trans girl!) you shouldn’t focus the entire character on the fact that they are trans, and you should make them just act like a cis girl! They can mention they’re trans, and can do some things to emphasize that point, but being trans shouldn’t be their entire character.

Thanks!
Bluemist13
Scratcher
4 posts

LGBTQ+ Media

modedii wrote:

Bluemist13 wrote:

Hey I'm righting a story and of the characters is a trans girl. I want to make sure it's both accurate and respectful, can I have some help? Thanks.
-Eva
Well, it depends on how far into their transition the character is. If the character is already socially and physically transitioned, you don't necessarily have to write about their transness, but it would be nice to touch on from time to time (i,e, joking pokes at their gender the character may make if they're comfortable with that). If they're closeted, how does it affect them? Are those around them supportive/why haven't they come out? Are they still questioning/doubting their gender expression (trans doubt is v common and is a form of dysphoria in itself)? Are they partially closeted (i.e. just out to family or friends)? Are they closeted and physically transitioning (more common than you think)? Are they out and not physically transitioning? How do they personally experience dysphoria?

There are a loooot of nuances to being trans, and it's important to aknowledge and touch on them and do research. If you can use R-ddit, I suggest checking out trans subreddits to see trans people talk about themselves (I especially suggest meme subs).

The easiest way for you as a (presumably) cis person to write about being trans is probably if the trans character is already completely transitioned, and even then there is a lot of nuance you should be aware of and touch on.

If you're gonna write about a trans character, do your research!!!!!!

I can't personally speak abt what it's like being transfemme, but a thing to keep in mind: skirt go spinny.

– a transmasc person

Thanks for the advice!
OverTheGardenWall2
Scratcher
100+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

Bluemist13 wrote:

Bluemist13 wrote:

-Eva
Hi! I think (as a genderfluid person, keep in mind I’m not a trans girl!) you shouldn’t focus the entire character on the fact that they are trans, and you should make them just act like a cis girl! They can mention they’re trans, and can do some things to emphasize that point, but being trans shouldn’t be their entire character.

Thanks!
oh and also, i now identify as a trans guy so yeah i have experience with being binary trans

Hey y’all! This is my signature! Check out my animations!

You better go here or no cookies
-0Nebula0-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

Awsomedogz569 wrote:

Hiiii people I have three flags- Pansexual, demiromantic and graysexual. Anyone else??? I just came out to my family too!!!
Same! Biromantic, homosexual, and asexual. (its weird ok and cant explain it how its both)
OverTheGardenWall2
Scratcher
100+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

-0Nebula0- wrote:

Awsomedogz569 wrote:

Hiiii people I have three flags- Pansexual, demiromantic and graysexual. Anyone else??? I just came out to my family too!!!
Same! Biromantic, homosexual, and asexual. (its weird ok and cant explain it how its both)
Hmm, both? Well asexual is experiencing NO sexual attraction at all, so I don’t see how you can be both. Lithosexual is experiencing sexual attraction but not wanting it reciprocated. Is that what you’re experiencing?

SquirreIstar
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

-0Nebula0- wrote:

Awsomedogz569 wrote:

Hmm, both? Well asexual is experiencing NO sexual attraction at all, so I don’t see how you can be both. Lithosexual is experiencing sexual attraction but not wanting it reciprocated. Is that what you’re experiencing?
That's actually wrong- asexuality is a spectrum (referred to as the a-spec) ranging between true asexual, aromantic, demisexual, greysexual, and so on. One can choose to be labelled as asexual if they think it fits them, even if they do experience some attraction.

Last edited by SquirreIstar (Nov. 20, 2020 20:54:03)

Moved to @Alphysse
OverTheGardenWall2
Scratcher
100+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

SquirreIstar wrote:

-0Nebula0- wrote:

Awsomedogz569 wrote:

That's actually wrong- asexuality is a spectrum (referred to as the a-spec) ranging between true asexual, aromantic, demisexual, greysexual, and so on. One can choose to be labelled as asexual if they think it fits them, even if they do experience some attraction.
Asexuality within itself is definitely a spectrum, but the sexuality asexual is described as having or experiencing extremely little to no sexual attraction. If this person experiences sexual attraction, they COULD be on the asexual spectrum. But they aren’t true asexual. There are plenty of labels that could describe what they’re feeling, but true asexual can’t be one of them. If it’s what they’re most comfortable with, they can use it, I’m not going to judge, but exploring labels to see what really fits (or just saying you’re on the ace spectrum) can be quite helpful.

SquirreIstar
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

SquirreIstar wrote:

-0Nebula0- wrote:

Awsomedogz569 wrote:

Asexuality within itself is definitely a spectrum, but the sexuality asexual is described as having or experiencing extremely little to no sexual attraction. If this person experiences sexual attraction, they COULD be on the asexual spectrum. But they aren’t true asexual. There are plenty of labels that could describe what they’re feeling, but true asexual can’t be one of them. If it’s what they’re most comfortable with, they can use it, I’m not going to judge, but exploring labels to see what really fits (or just saying you’re on the ace spectrum) can be quite helpful.
I'm just saying that the term “asexual” can be used as an umbrella term for the entire a-spec. If a demi or greyce wants to be called “asexual”, then they can.

Moved to @Alphysse
Lu2333
Scratcher
100+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

coding72 wrote:

I read the first copy, but I haven’t read any more. Is it gay?
Dolphins989
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

Hey ya'll, I am going to schedule email(send it but she won't get it until a certain date I pick) my mom my coming out letter, does anyone have any advice or anything, and I'm super anxious

Also, SU is great LGBT media (just bringing up LGBT media so this is technically on topic)

<—- play my game please
SquirreIstar
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

elliot page is trans
ELLIOT PAGE IS TRANS

Moved to @Alphysse
Speedy68531
Scratcher
100+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

SquirreIstar wrote:

elliot page is trans
ELLIOT PAGE IS TRANS
I saw that but who is he exactly? Nonetheless, good for him!

i like things and i talk about the things i like a little too much
SquirreIstar
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

Speedy68531 wrote:

SquirreIstar wrote:

elliot page is trans
ELLIOT PAGE IS TRANS
All I know is that he's an actor who stars in The Umbrella Academy

Moved to @Alphysse
Dolphins989
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

SquirreIstar wrote:

Speedy68531 wrote:

SquirreIstar wrote:

elliot page is trans
ELLIOT PAGE IS TRANS
All I know is that he's an actor who stars in The Umbrella Academy
He was the lead in Juno iirc, which is neat

<—- play my game please
Foxfur001
New to Scratch
1 post

LGBTQ+ Media

EeveeLegends wrote:

Nambaseking01 wrote:

I have a friend that might be ase*ual…
I looked at your profile and you're pretty young, so I'm going to assume you have friends around the same age as you.
If that is the case, your friend is most likely not ace, I think you have to be at least around 16 or older to realize that kind of stuff considering the definition (which I can't say here because of the Scratch rules). This is just my opinion, though.

Dude, before I was a teenager, (like somewhere in between ages 10-12 ish) I found out I was gay. That could've been because everyone at my school was a big piece of * and used calling someone gay as an insult and because i was bullied I constantly heard it and so I was aware of what it meant at that age, but once I was aware of it, I started realizing I was it. It's highly possible that it's not an age thing, it's a “once you're aware of it and close enough to puberty or something you might find out you're gay/bi/trans etc” sort of thing. Btw, I have two trans friends (one is gay, one is pansexual), a non-binary friend who is lesbian, another pansexual friend, and a LOT of other LGBT friends (most of which are gay or lesbian though but there's a mixed bag of all of the LGBT community), and one person who says they identify as bi but are more gay than straight who have known all these things about themselves since at least 6th grade who are all my age currently (well except for one of them, they might actually be around 16 or something) sooooooooo……..yeah.

Last edited by Foxfur001 (Jan. 5, 2021 01:22:41)

Lu2333
Scratcher
100+ posts