Discuss Scratch

petsounds
Scratcher
500+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

considering that the LGBT forum will probably be closed down, here's one that's more relevant to the scratch forums. discuss LGBT books, films, music, tv series, anything of the like. ask for or give recommendations if you'd like, or discuss representation in general. just keep it media-related please. okay cool ty
BaconAndEggs1School
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

Heads-up again that this forum will probably be closed like the other one. Scratch Team considers LGBT+ (on the forums, anyway) to be a controversial topic likely to induce a lot of flaming and the link with media most likely isn't going to save it.

That being said, I'm really happy that this was even an idea for someone to talk about at all. I'd love it if we had a studio for this actually.

Dinoguy8 wrote:

Why is it so hard for us westerners to write trans characters like they're, I dunno, actual trans people? Discuss.
IDK if that was meant as a rhetorical question, but my safe guess is that it's cis writers passing on any readily available feedback from the trans community on how they want to be represented in favour of quick brownie points for a nice publicity boost (or laughs, depending on how vapid the writer's humour is).
I find the specificity of Western media interesting though; are there any Eastern countries with TV shows/movies/etc. that portray trans people positively? Not an accusation, just curious.

findanegg
Scratcher
500+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

PrincessPandaLover wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sonadow
fujoshi content doesn't count

it me. the bisexual indie softboi. no pronouns (do not refer to me). currents is a bad album
Dinoguy8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

BaconAndEggs1School wrote:

Heads-up again that this forum will probably be closed like the other one. Scratch Team considers LGBT+ (on the forums, anyway) to be a controversial topic likely to induce a lot of flaming and the link with media most likely isn't going to save it.

That being said, I'm really happy that this was even an idea for someone to talk about at all. I'd love it if we had a studio for this actually.
Firstly, I think if we keep ourselves civil and serious, mods won't have much of a problem with this. Secondly, if this topic does get axed, I totally second the idea of having a studio.

Dinoguy8 wrote:

Why is it so hard for us westerners to write trans characters like they're, I dunno, actual trans people? Discuss.
IDK if that was meant as a rhetorical question, but my safe guess is that it's cis writers passing on any readily available feedback from the trans community on how they want to be represented in favour of quick brownie points for a nice publicity boost (or laughs, depending on how vapid the writer's humour is).
I find the specificity of Western media interesting though; are there any Eastern countries with TV shows/movies/etc. that portray trans people positively? Not an accusation, just curious.
The main reason I veered toward bringing up western media is because I feel the culture and characterizations depicted in it is more relevant to me and the culture I live in, not due to an extensive knowledge of eastern media with good trans representation. However, I know a few solely by virtue of friends telling me about them.
There's a character named Felix in an action/adventure anime series called Re:Zero, who is made canonically trans in a plus-canon novel. It's only mentioned briefly, but throughout the book she insists upon using female pronouns and changes her name to Ferris. I've been told by friends that her characterization is very accurate to the trans experience, while still allowing her to have other traits.
Additionally, the currently running idol anime Zombie Land Saga features a girl named Lily in the main cast. Although the series is a comedy, Lily's process of coming out and her identity aren't played for laughs. Her character isn't too impacted by being trans, however, as the comedy (thankfully) veers away from that.
All of this might not be 100% accurate, as it's only word-of-mouth from my trans friends. If any weebs in the audience want to correct me, please do. I'd rather be educated than incorrect.
MaximunPokeMaster
Scratcher
500+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

i hear paddle noises.

H
Dinoguy8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

funnycoder wrote:

this topic gay lol
technically true.

MaximunPokeMaster wrote:

i hear paddle noises.
you feel your paddle crawling on your back.
petsounds
Scratcher
500+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

I hope not, LGBT+ topics aren't really controversial anymore unless if you live in some tiny town in the deep south. I think most people are fairly accepting of The Gays nowadays (that's not to say there isn't homophobia anymore, but you see a lot less of that direct nasty homophobia and more of a subtle kind that comes from a lack of understanding of gay issues). Trans issues are unfortunately more contested, but I feel Scratch closing this down for being controversial is putting both sides of the “”debate“” on equal standing, which is kind of lame to say the least. come on mr paddle man, don't mess this one up please
PopStarYoda
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

Dinoguy8 wrote:

MaximunPokeMaster wrote:

i hear paddle noises.

dun dun DUN

кᴀтнɪᴇ | ♀ | ɪɴғᴘ | ʀᴀνᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ | ғσʀᴜм нᴇʟᴘᴇʀ | 3 ʏᴇᴀʀs+ σɴ scʀᴀтcʜ | † | нσмᴇѕᴄнσσʟᴇᴅ | cᴜʀᴀтᴇᴅ x1
♥️ ᴘʀσғɪʟᴇsтᴀтsᴀвouт ᴍєwσʀkshoᴘɪɴѕρɪʀᴀтɪσɴ вσᴀʀᴅ ♥️
——————
——————
account_lol
Scratcher
54 posts

LGBTQ+ Media

funnycoder wrote:

this topic gay lol
yeah
findanegg
Scratcher
500+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

account_lol wrote:

funnycoder wrote:

this topic gay lol
yeah
i agree

it me. the bisexual indie softboi. no pronouns (do not refer to me). currents is a bad album
GlobAnimations
Scratcher
7 posts

LGBTQ+ Media

PopStarYoda wrote:

Dinoguy8 wrote:

MaximunPokeMaster wrote:

i hear paddle noises.

dun dun DUN

oh no not a paddle

Last edited by GlobAnimations (May 8, 2019 00:10:55)

, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected, No Flash version detected
TheAspiringHacker
Scratcher
100+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

New Game! has a woman (Rin Toyama) who has a crush on her female coworker and friend (Ko Yagami).

Hibike! Euphonium has “yuri-bait” between two girls (Kumiko Oumae and Reina Kousaka) but never went anywhere with it. Reina is actually in love with the male teacher, Taki-sensei.

K-ON! is about friendship, not romance, but one of the girls (Mugi Kotobuki) is obsessed with yuri and gets excited whenever two girls do things together. It's unclear if Mugi is gay.

I have heard that the yuri anime Bloom Into You is good and represents its characters well, but I have not watched it.

Last edited by TheAspiringHacker (May 9, 2019 01:13:10)

Long live Kyoto Animation!
findanegg
Scratcher
500+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

y'all we gotta talk about butterfly soup tho. peak lesbiab less bean girls content

Last edited by findanegg (May 9, 2019 01:25:08)

Dinoguy8
Scratcher
1000+ posts
koa678
Scratcher
16 posts

LGBTQ+ Media

Has anyone here seen Love Simon? Best Movie Ever
Dinoguy8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

koa678 wrote:

Has anyone here seen Love Simon? Best Movie Ever
Haven't seen it and don't plan to (because it ain't lesbo enough for my tastes), but I can appreciate having a widely released theatrical film feature prominent gay representation.
Scratch_Foxy_Rogues
Scratcher
100+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

findanegg wrote:

PrincessPandaLover wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sonadow
fujoshi content doesn't count
ALERT: Fujoshi discourse has penetrated the scratchosphere

I've been invested in Steven Universe for a number of years now, and I've always appreciated how prominent LGBT themes are in the show. It's so great that stuff like this is making its way into the mainstream
luiysia
Scratcher
500+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

TheAspiringHacker wrote:

New Game! has a woman (Rin Toyama) who has a crush on her female coworker and friend (Ko Yagami).

Hibike! Euphonium has “yuri-bait” between two girls (Kumiko Oumae and Reina Kousaka) but never went anywhere with it. Reina is actually in love with the male teacher, Taki-sensei.

K-ON! is about friendship, not romance, but one of the girls (Mugi Kotobuki) is obsessed with yuri and gets excited whenever two girls do things together. It's unclear if Mugi is gay.

I have heard that the yuri anime Bloom Into You is good and represents its characters well, but I have not watched it.
I read part of Bloom Into You and it's pretty well written. I couldn't really get into the storyline though, a little melodramatic for me.

My favorite yuri manga of all time is probably Kase-san. It's an extremely cute high school romance that will surely make you squee with delight. I also love the dojin Roommates, which is more adult life.

For BL, I've enjoyed Saiaku no Jinsei and Motto Ganbare! Nakamura-san. The former is more about adults (although PG) and the latter is a high school romance. Shimanami Tasogare is a really good manga whose main character is a gay teenage boy and features lesbian, trans and other various non-heteronormative characters. Although, to be honest, the writing started off extremely good and devolved into utter nonsense in the last four or five chapters or so.

Last edited by luiysia (May 10, 2019 03:46:53)

It’s such a little thing to weep—
So short a thing to sigh—
And yet—by Trades—the size of these
We men and women die!

- Emily Dickinson
Dinoguy8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LGBTQ+ Media

Scratch_Foxy_Rogues wrote:

I've been invested in Steven Universe for a number of years now, and I've always appreciated how prominent LGBT themes are in the show. It's so great that stuff like this is making its way into the mainstream
To my knowledge, Steven Universe had to backpedal hard. Didn't they end up writing Gems having relationships off as them being technically genderless so it's “”“not gay”“”? I'm not too well versed in the show (haven't watched more than a few episodes) so if you'd be willing to correct/explain that'd be dandy.