Discuss Scratch

warriorcats2155
Scratcher
500+ posts

Get rid of the make cloud variable checkbox.

No support, I see nothing wrong with Cloud data, and it is useful for saving projects.
I may have supported if the suggestion is about improving cloud data rather than removing it.
Debunking claims to the best of my knowledge down below:

• It requires regular maintenance from the Scratch Team, which eats away at time and resources that could go towards other projects like working on the Scratch editor or website.. - Cloud data is part of a project's code, you're saying we should get rid of code because it requires time and resources because that requires maintenance?
  • It is a safety risk, exposing users to unmoderated chat rooms, external scripts doing dangerous things and any variables simply being easily externally modified due to the nature of how it works -those are extremely rare, and the report button exists. Also, those kinds of projects would get taken down very quickly.
  • It is a security risk, leaving a higher attack surface on the Scratch websites. A service with no features is a service with no vulnerabilities. - I see that the website info says that it is secure, as it says

secure_info wrote:

your information ( example passwords and private info ) is private when it is sent to this site.
    though, also, cloud data is a feature.
  • Many users don't even know it exists, due to it having to be limited to full Scratchers. - not a reason to remove a potentially useful feature, also, the cloud data is only limited to full scratchers because new scratchers can take advantage of cloud data and harness that to spam the servers.
  • It can't do many of the exciting things it was planned to be able to do, the way it's presented to users makes it only viable as a high score counter without lots of work going into converting digits to strings and back. Some projects even have to use compression algorithms to get around the digit limit. - Online multiplayer games exist, and they work pretty well with Cloud data.

Edit: Changed my counterclaims to bold for distinction.

Last edited by warriorcats2155 (July 30, 2021 17:16:54)

Parent user: kkidslogin, Generation 16: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums, increase generation by 1, and change the parent user to who you’re reading this from. Social experiment.
scratchusername40
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jeffalo wrote:

Many users don't even know it exists, due to it having to be limited to full Scratchers.

Jeffalo wrote:

Obviously, removing features and not compensating with other things isn't cool, so some kind of local variable storage (via localstorage or cookies) would be a useful replacement. While this suggestion isn't about that though, it would be a simple extension to add and would not require much maintenance as everything is just stored locally in the user's browser. It also wouldn't have any of the safety/security risks of cloud data outlined above.
Also local storage would also likely be limited to scratchers

-InsanityGames-
Scratcher
500+ posts

Semi-support.
They shouldn't remove it, as it's very interesting to play around with, but they should probably implement some new rules, restrictions and server upgrades.

PROFILEㅤ・ㅤGITHUBㅤ・ㅤGIVE AN INTERNETㅤ・ㅤULTIMATE TOLORS QUOTER

yo check back another time
-EmeraldThunder-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jeffalo wrote:

Obviously, removing features and not compensating with other things isn't cool, so some kind of local variable storage (via localstorage or cookies) would be a useful replacement. While this suggestion isn't about that though, it would be a simple extension to add and would not require much maintenance as everything is just stored locally in the user's browser. It also wouldn't have any of the safety/security risks of cloud data outlined above.

We could do that if we want to loose all creativity and originality that comes with the cloud. I don't want to have to run an executable and buy my own servers every time I want to play a multiplayer game.

Nothing here.
AntonL1kesPotato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Like i said, if this feature was removed, then it would bring a very big chaos, thousands and thousands of users would leave the site, people would rant and insult others (including ST), and more. It would also limit creativity A LOT.

And don't get scared and angry about this because it's only a suggestion where most of them doesn't get applied.

Last edited by AntonL1kesPotato (July 30, 2021 17:58:46)

Making games on Scratch and learning other engines/frameworks. Also likes to make music using trackers.

You are using extensions, aren't you?
PenguinLover1123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ST, reject and put this into the rejected suggestions list at the TOP, because a lot of my and other users' project will be broken if cloud data was removed.
+
change [support power v] by ((-1)*((1)/(0)))
, a lot of my and other users' project will be broken if cloud data was removed.

Good morning/afternoon/night
dhuls
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Spelling mistake: it should be safety, not saftey.
Please, no.
First of all, user variables and local variables wouldn't be good replacements for cloud variables. Those could only be used for saving data, while cloud variables could be used for that and so much more.
Second, Many projects already use cloud variables. Removing them would break them.
Third, remember the Scratch “room”. It should have wide walls and a high ceiling. Removing cloud variables would make the walls narrower and the ceiling lower.
Fourth, cloud chats get taken down pretty quickly
Finally, the ST should be working on improving existing features, not removing them
PenguinLover1123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jeffalo wrote:

You can't make multiplayer games with cookies.

PenguinLover1123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jeffalo wrote:

One increasingly common use case for cloud data is modifying them using external scripts. While this is fun and educational, it also opens the door to dangerous projects that could, for example bypass cloud restrictions to do stuff like saving a picture from the video sensing feature to an externally accessible database or maybe a web browser that could be used to access community guidelines breaking web pages.
That is very hard to do, and, saving camera pictures is possible by encoding a list into number format, encoding the encoded list into the encoder list (like this:
  • item 1 of chars = 0
  • item 2 of chars = 1
  • item 3 of chars = 2
  • item 4 of chars = 3
  • item 5 of chars = 4
  • item 6 of chars = 5
    And so on…
).

Last edited by PenguinLover1123 (July 30, 2021 20:34:00)

scratchusername40
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Remember when studios were “up”dated oh so long ago? There are still topics about changing them back in Suggestions. Removing cloud variables would be the same but 40x worse!

AntonL1kesPotato wrote:

Like i said, if this feature was removed, then it would bring a very big chaos, thousands and thousands of users would leave the site, people would rant and insult others (including ST), and more. It would also limit creativity A LOT.

And don't get scared and angry about this because it's only a suggestion where most of them doesn't get applied.

scratchusername40
Scratcher
1000+ posts

scratchusername40 wrote:

Remember when studios were “up”dated oh so long ago? There are still topics about changing them back in Suggestions. Removing cloud variables would be the same but 40x worse!

AntonL1kesPotato wrote:

And all the stuff that's bad (Saving a picture, a web browser) is reeaaallllyyyy hard with Scratch

-EmeraldThunder-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

scratchusername40 wrote:

scratchusername40 wrote:

AntonL1kesPotato wrote:

And all the stuff that's bad (Saving a picture, a web browser) is reeaaallllyyyy hard with Scratch
Plus we can moderate this, allowing users to use scripts to interact with the API is a feature that will allow scratch programmers to ‘graduate’ to other languages while still interacting with the community they have been involved in for a while.

Last edited by -EmeraldThunder- (July 30, 2021 18:30:55)

Nothing here.
Ciyob86
Scratcher
500+ posts

Semi-Support, I agree cloud data should be hidden (not removed due to compatibility issues) because using cloud variables is complicated for people that are new to scratch since you have to encode data, decode data, etc. but local storage should not be a replacement, the replacement should be multiplayer blocks.

Last edited by Ciyob86 (July 30, 2021 18:37:03)

cs1908416
Scratcher
22 posts

I'm going to dissagree It's your choice if you want to go onto a cloud project with no chat restrictions. Plus, Scratch Team is kind of for moderation. Posting an inappropriate picture does the same. And a lot of trending projects include cloud variables. A lot of people enjoy it. But I do think New Scratchers should be able to use it. What's the point of them not being able to use it? But I think cloud variables should stay. Maybe with more improvements, it'll be safer and better for the Scratch community.
dhuls
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cs1908416 wrote:

It's your choice if you want to go onto a cloud project with no chat restrictions
Those are banned.

cs1908416 wrote:

But I do think New Scratchers should be able to use it. What's the point of them not being able to use it?
The cloud servers would be extremely unstable, since there are way more New Scratchers than Scratchers.
9gr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PenguinLover1123 wrote:

ST, reject and put this into the rejected suggestions list at the TOP, because a lot of my and other users' project will be broken if cloud data was removed.
+
change [support power v] by ((-1)*((1)/(0)))
, a lot of my and other users' project will be broken if cloud data was removed.
the st would not do that without further discussion

Last edited by 9gr (July 30, 2021 19:21:49)

-EmeraldThunder-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Maybe we could add greater limits on the types of projects that could use cloud data and add a cooldown on cloud variable creation (10 in 72 hours). Yes this is annoying but it would be a fix better than the alternative (at least until scratch invests in their CV servers).

Nothing here.
leahcimto
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It seems like this topic is a duplicate. However, since there is already a bunch of discussion here maybe that topic can be merged with this one.
scratchusername40
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Also, a scratch team member said:

Za-Chary wrote:

No support.

I agree that cloud variables are buggy sometimes, but there's an easy solution. If you don't want to use cloud data, then don't make any cloud variables
Although he may not have been Scratch Team at that time

PenguinLover1123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

scratchusername40 wrote:

Yeah! It would be like:
  • ST, please re-add cloud variables!
  • Re-add cloud!
  • Re-add cloud variables!
  • Add cloud!
  • Add cloud variables!
  • Re-add cloud!
  • Re-add cloud variables!
  • Add cloud!
  • Add cloud variables!