Discuss Scratch

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Trademark and the Scratch online community

Dragonturnip wrote:

I have a question. I made a project called Idea Storm, but that is already something to do with Dell computers. Will I get sued or something?
No, but you probably should take it down/change the name if they contact you (which I doubt)

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
lovescratch8
Scratcher
1 post

I think that it's a bit of a bad Idea no afence or anything.
]
say [s
say [I love Scratchre[scratchblocks]
[/scratchblocks]
repeat ()
[scratchblocwhen [scratchblocks]

when green flag clicked
end
[/scratchblocks]
spkshark
Scratcher
12 posts

?

Last edited by spkshark (Aug. 6, 2015 21:05:32)

Check out my stuff here:

SOUNDCLOUD | YOUTUBE | SCRATCH
—————————————————————–
“AHA” - Alan Partridge
getamac404
Scratcher
67 posts

Yea, remember what happened to a Pac-Man project?
Also, why “Scratch” and not “Scratch™”? Shouldn't Scratch be a trademark too? (and, I'm wondering if MIT is a trademark.)

<[user v] is in [people who know & help us v] :: list> = <false :: operators>? :: motion
We [need v] your help!! Please (join [getamac] [Networks] :: operators) [now v]! :: grey
Please visit <<url :: operators> = <http:// [Webpage is under maintenance.] :: sensing> :: operators> for more information. :: motion
stop [all v] :: cap control
getamac404
Scratcher
67 posts

lovescratch8 wrote:

I think that it's a bit of a bad Idea no afence or anything.
]
say [s
say [I love Scratchre[scratchblocks]
[/scratchblocks]
repeat ()
[scratchblocwhen [scratchblocks]

when green flag clicked
end
[/scratchblocks]
O_O

<[user v] is in [people who know & help us v] :: list> = <false :: operators>? :: motion
We [need v] your help!! Please (join [getamac] [Networks] :: operators) [now v]! :: grey
Please visit <<url :: operators> = <http:// [Webpage is under maintenance.] :: sensing> :: operators> for more information. :: motion
stop [all v] :: cap control
CelestiaLovesAMVs
Scratcher
10 posts

spkshark wrote:
Would it still be okay to make a “fan” studio? E.g. a studio full of Harry Potter projects.

I don't see why not. The fact that some million-dollar animation studio complained about a studio for children's animations is pretty ridiculous. I think making a fan studio/project will be just fine, as I don't imagine this will be happening again
cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Look like they have better things to do than to tend to their museum.

Last edited by cobraguy (March 20, 2014 15:52:24)

pikabrawler
Scratcher
28 posts

Lightnin wrote:

mozarty wrote:

The thing is, kids, which predominantly make up the Scratch website, do not and will not take the time to search up a trademark.

And this is at the core of the issue - should kids who are making Scratch studios be required to search a trademark database before choosing a general name? We really don't think so: There isn't a likelihood of confusion.

Is it still legal for me to make Pokemon projects?
hexagon400
Scratcher
61 posts

What a bunch of baloney. Why did the makers of the RLAHOF do that? Scratch ≠ Real Life.

KEY:
≠ = not equal to
RLAHOF = Real Life Animation Hall Of Fame
CelestiaLovesAMVs
Scratcher
10 posts

pikabrawler wrote:
Is it still legal for me to make Pokemon projects?

I'm no ST member, but I'd say yes. I think this is just some museum that had a bit too much time on their hands- besides there's Pokemon fanfics and games and art all over the internet, and I've never seen it get shut down. Should be just fine.
andrewjcole
Scratcher
500+ posts

I'm pretty sure they have better things to do than go into legal action with a Scratch studio. There are much worse things that could violate their copyright stuff.

Bluenunchuck
Scratcher
100+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

Recently the owner of the registered trademark for “Animation Hall of Fame” contacted us to request that we rename or remove a Scratch Studio titled “Animation Hall of Fame”. Apparently when one Googles “Animation Hall of Fame,” the link to their organization is first, but the results also include a link to a Scratch Studio with the same name.

We see the value of trademark law: We wouldn't want anyone else to be able to create a programming language called Scratch. That could lead to a lot of confusion, and wouldn't be fair. However, there are limits to how broadly trademark should be applied. For example, if someone created a skateboard called Scratch, I don't think we'd have much reason to complain (as long as they weren't using our logo, or claiming some kind of association or endorsement from us.)

But in this case, we don't feel that this trademark claim is reasonable or fair. According to the About page on their website, their “Animation Hall of Fame” is:

“To be located in the Central Florida area of the United States, the Animation Hall of Fame, Inc. complex will be an international interactive, entertainment attraction honoring the history and heritage of Animation from around the world. This state of the art high-tech complex and each of its venues will be designed to educate and entertain animation fans and non-fans alike from around the world.”
( http://animationhalloffame.org/about.html )

The Scratch studio formerly titled “Animation Hall of Fame” is, well, a Scratch studio: A webpage, created by a Scratcher, that shows projects made by kids who are learning to program animations with Scratch, a free programming tool created at MIT.

http://scratch.mit.edu/studios/346625/
(Check it out- there are some good Scratch animations in there!)

Is it really reasonable to demand that we rename this Scratch studio to avoid possible confusion between a multimillion dollar complex in Florida, and a webpage with some Scratch projects? We really don't think so. But because taking legal action to contest this would be very expensive and time consuming, we agreed to change the title of the studio formerly known as “Animation Hall of Fame” to: “Scratch Hall of Fame - Animation.” I guess this clarifies what should be pretty obvious: A webpage with some Scratch projects is not likely to be confused with a multimillion dollar museum.
What. Da? That is ridiculous! Seriously?

andrewjcole
Scratcher
500+ posts

getamac404 wrote:

Also, why “Scratch” and not “Scratch™”? Shouldn't Scratch be a trademark too? (and, I'm wondering if MIT is a trademark.)
What happened to the Pac-Man project?

PhirripSyrrip
Scratcher
500+ posts

andrewjcole wrote:

getamac404 wrote:

What happened to the Pac-Man project?
Have a read of this: http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Pac-Man_Project_Taken_Off_the_Scratch_Website_by_NAMCO

Didn't think you could get worse than the pacman project issue but now…..

Last edited by PhirripSyrrip (March 20, 2014 16:34:35)

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;You thought I'd get away from you, didn't you?!
geniusjordan
Scratcher
4 posts

I totally understand why they would talk about this, it's so clear to understand, trademarks Lead to trouble and trouble ain't no good. it's a good subject to discuss about and i see the point of why this discussion was created, so i'm in!
isabeljane
Scratcher
44 posts

seriously?
you can't be serious.
you ARE serious?
ok. ok.. you're serious.
why does the organization even care? people can clearly recognize that it isn't the same thing….

i'm dat boi and also i'm gay
liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Really?

This is weird.

202e-202e-202e-202e-202e UNI-CODE~~~~~
technoboy10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It's nomco all over again.
Seriously, how many people are going to get the two confused

Last edited by technoboy10 (March 21, 2014 13:51:29)

trans rights are human rights
technoboy10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Solution: make the Florida place put all the projects in the scratch studio in their museum, and then we'll rename the studio.

trans rights are human rights
jayhss
Scratcher
46 posts

Well, there is a DJ website called Scratch…